Old February 7, 2003, 18:51   #31
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Local Time: 15:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
paiktis, can't you make up your mind?
Old February 7, 2003, 18:52   #32
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 17:55

Just messin' with ya
Old February 7, 2003, 18:56   #33
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Ya I know. You don't usually leave yourself wide open like that.
Old February 7, 2003, 19:04   #34
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Well there is this thing called imperial overstretch (Rome) but, like a Ninja, powers have maybe learned not to make the same mistake twice.
But maybe it comes to a point where there is no other choice? (although you can attribute deeds but you need consensus i.e. increase defence spending in Europe) In any case your present administration doesn't help you very much IMHO.
Old February 7, 2003, 19:05   #35
DuncanK
Warlord

Local Time: 07:55
The Roman Empire depended on constant expansion for its survival. That's why the US is more stable. We haven't expanded for awhile, and when we did expand we made sure that our new territories were well populated with loyal Americans.
Old February 7, 2003, 19:06   #36
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 09:55
Re: Re: Re: Re: Is the US to go the way of the Roman Empire?
Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000

Jealous man? I'm not jealous...I get to watch while Americans shoot themselves in the foot.

Why would I be jealous of that?
you are obviously jealous. It is one of the few ways to explain your very irrational statement...

Lemme equate it to you this way.
You are a boyfriend.
America is this guy who is the star football player/valedictorian/artist extraordinaire.

Your girlfriend starts talking about how cool that one guy is.

Your response, as a jealous boyfriend is,
"naw, hes not cool at all..."
you say this even tho you know he is really cool because you are jealous.
Old February 7, 2003, 19:06   #37
Lancer
Deity

Krammerman, must have missed it, thanks for the supportive post. Hey, stick around, your help is appreciated.
Old February 7, 2003, 19:12   #38
Lancer
Deity

DP

Last edited by Lancer; February 7, 2003 at 19:18.
Old February 7, 2003, 19:17   #39
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is the US to go the way of the Roman Empire?
Quote:
Originally posted by Kramerman

you are obviously jealous. It is one of the few ways to explain your very irrational statement...

Lemme equate it to you this way.
You are a boyfriend.
America is this guy who is the star football player/valedictorian/artist extraordinaire.

Your girlfriend starts talking about how cool that one guy is.

Your response, as a jealous boyfriend is,
"naw, hes not cool at all..."
you say this even tho you know he is really cool because you are jealous.
But then America begins to use its power for darker intents such as simply killing people for oil and using humanitarian aid as a weapon.

His art skills are confined to making very poor soap operas and sex culture, and his formerly high grades.....hes the most ignorant guy in town!

He's not "cool" at all anymore. Just another bully trying to act superior to the rest of us
Old February 7, 2003, 19:21   #40
Ned
King

Local Time: 07:55
Quote:
Originally posted by DuncanK
The Roman Empire depended on constant expansion for its survival. That's why the US is more stable. We haven't expanded for awhile, and when we did expand we made sure that our new territories were well populated with loyal Americans.
In a way this is true due to its dependence on slavery. But the empire lasted for 1400 years after it stopped expanding. So expansion was not necessary for its survival.

The fact that it never conquered the Germans and the Goths was a major contributing factor to its final end. You simply cannot leave the barbarians there indefinitely.

Containment does not always work.
Old February 7, 2003, 19:22   #41
Lancer
Deity

"darker intents"

The football player starts probing your gf?
Old February 7, 2003, 19:24   #42
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancer
"darker intents"

Actually my GF, and everyone else in school, is developing a deep hatred for America. They used to love him too, except recently hes been closing and alienating himself from everyone else....
Old February 7, 2003, 19:28   #43
Kramerman
Prince

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is the US to go the way of the Roman Empire?
Quote:
Originally posted by Tassadar5000

But then America begins to use its power for darker intents such as simply killing people for oil and using humanitarian aid as a weapon.

His art skills are confined to making very poor soap operas and sex culture, and his formerly high grades.....hes the most ignorant guy in town!

He's not "cool" at all anymore. Just another bully trying to act superior to the rest of us
naw, this is merely the denial stage of your envy. You dont want to accept the fact of how hardcore this guy is, so you try and rationalize as many faults as you can. In this way, in your mind, you lesson this man and make yourself feel bigger.

When jealous, many children do this, and some adults as well, tho the degree of jealousy usually must be significantly higher, due to the general increase in maturity (which usually resists such childish acts, but is occasionally overcome).

Your irrationality purposesfully overlooks amny things and creates flawed logic in order to substanciate itself.

example:
Quote:
What about 90% of the other media produced by the US? Sure, sex and such is a major lure in media, but this is aimed at specific markets... as tatses in entertainment is all relative. You cannot say this is "bad", no more than someone can say Shakespeare is "bad". Its all relative. But the US entertainment industry must be doing something right, as American movies and television stations are viewed by millions world round...

And sure, you may believe him to be ignorant, but this is just exaggerating what you percieve in your mind as a fault to bring down the overwhelming success of his grades (science/technology in our little allegory)

Kman
Old February 7, 2003, 19:28   #44
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancer
"darker intents"

Old February 7, 2003, 19:39   #45
Nubclear

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is the US to go the way of the Roman Empire?
Instead of responding qutoe by quopte, I'll offer this:

He has a narcisistic personality disorder. He percieves everything to be about him, hes the best, and nothing else can change that. He percieves that everyone is inferior to him and only exist to serve him. Unfortunately, all attempts to cure this personality disorder have completly and totally failed.

Narcissistic personalities tend to not be able to recognize their own faults. They truely believe they are super-human and if faults ARE pointed out, they dismiss it as "well, others are just jealous". Truely, others would love him if not for the fact that he continues to hurt people. He lashes out at them in periodic psyhoctic episodes (which can be a sign of manic depression) and alienates them and hes doing it right now. Just a few years ago people were loving him and wanted to be a part of him, but now they are beginning to hate him.

His grades have gone down considerably and his friends are worried about this. However America cannot see it for some reason, and his friends are simply forced to endure the "push away" effect that these psychotic episodes have on America. America is not envied despite what he would like to think, he is HATED. Hated for the actions he commits around the school (Pushing around others, threatening violence, double standards, using his wealth to hurt others....). Before he used to use the actions for good, but now....Hes changed. And his friends dont like it, and his enemies are finding more reasons to hate him.

Hoewver is power in the school is declining. Recently, his locker was completly destroyed quite literally by some Arab kid named "Al Qaeda". Most of Americas friends are recommendeing that he go after Al Qaeda but in a continuous pattern of stupidity, he instead is trying to lash out at another student named Iraq. This also concerns his friends because hes letting a large threat simply gather power. A rumor (and facts back it up, so its not even a rumor) is spreading that Mr. Pakistan and Ms. Indonesia are actually letting Al Qaeda into their homes and Americas friend, Mr. Saudiarabia, is actually giving Al Qaeda MONEY!!!

But anyway, that is the reason he is hated. Not because of envy (thats a stupid cop out for dismissing weaknesses) but because of his actions. His friends and even some of his enemies want to like him but he continuously pushes them away. He will have to overcome his personality disorder if he wishes to reclaim his lost power and most importantly of all, his lost friends.
Old February 7, 2003, 19:44   #46
Nubclear

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is the US to go the way of the Roman Empire?
This "High School High" theme seems to be working out perfectly It fits the world in so many ways
Old February 7, 2003, 19:46   #47
Sandman
King

Local Time: 16:55
Comparisons between Rome and America are clearly a sign of a decaying society.
Old February 7, 2003, 19:48   #48
Viking Berserk
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:55
Quote:
But the empire lasted for 1400 years after it stopped expanding.
Take away some of it and it's more correct. Like this:

"But the empire lasted for 363 years after it stopped expanding."

That's more like it
Old February 7, 2003, 19:49   #49
Kramerman
Prince

wow, i really didnt expect this analogy to last this long, nor grow this elaborate.

i lack the energy to address your points... but i will say calling the US narcissitic is a false perception, that indeed been made by too many around the world. The US is definately not as humble as we once were, but narcassism is an overstatement. When americans feel threatened, can you not blame them for having a little pride? Besides, if you wanna talk arrogance, we have a Russian saying the US is screwed up, which is either a statement of extreme hypocrisy, or perhaps Russia fails to see his own faults, being a narcisist itself...

however nice writing
Old February 7, 2003, 19:51   #50
Nubclear

Quote:

wow, i really didnt expect this analogy to last this long, nor grow this elaborate.

i lack the energy to address your points...
Dont worry. It happens to me a lot

Quote:
perhaps Russia fails to see his own faults, being a narcisist itself...
Mother Russia learned the secrets of self-criticism long ago

Quote:
When americans feel threatened, can you not blame them for having a little pride?
When pride turns to a sheep-type following of the leader and blind ignorance, yeah we can
Old February 7, 2003, 19:53   #51
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
Mother Russia learned the secrets of self-criticism long ago
America has always known it (with a few brief exceptions, of course, there are alwasy exceptions)...

Dissent is synonymous with a working republican state
Old February 7, 2003, 19:54   #52
Kramerman
Prince

Quote:
When pride turns to a sheep-type following of the leader and blind ignorance, yeah we can
If you are suggesting that all Americans agree with Bush...
Old February 7, 2003, 20:02   #53
Nubclear

I'd lcove to respond tio anything, but my wife is sick again. I will be right back....
Old February 7, 2003, 20:03   #54
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 18:55
God, Tassadar, stop bashing the US. I think that the country we both share has much more problems.
Old February 7, 2003, 20:10   #55
Nubclear

Quote:

If you are suggesting that all Americans agree with Bush...
No, but those that do tend to be....dangerous people

And Az: Would you rather I bash Isreal? In other words: Ill bash the US all I want.
Old February 7, 2003, 20:18   #56
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:
God, Tassadar, stop bashing the US. I think that the country we both share has much more problems.

I'm a bit confused. Is Tass Russian or Israeli? Or a RussianIsraeli? (There seem to be all of those In Israel).
Old February 7, 2003, 20:20   #57
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22

I'm a bit confused. Is Tass Russian or Israeli? Or a RussianIsraeli? (There seem to be all of those In Israel).
Russian. I'm not Israeli. I have nothing to do with the Jewish religion or Israel.
Old February 7, 2003, 20:24   #58
The Vagabond
Prince

What a strong school-analogy writing, Tassadar Perhaps you should consider publishing it in the opinion column of some newspaper (not j/k).

Kramerman, your essay on the envy psychology is also strong. But I should note that Tassadar outdoes you here.
Old February 7, 2003, 20:25   #59
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Oh Ok.

Well personally I don't bash the US too much anymore.
In victory, magnanimity.

No use shooting an already dead horse in the world's consciousness
Old February 7, 2003, 20:28   #60
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22
Well personally I don't bash the US too much.

Riiiiiiiiight Paiktis

Quote:
What a strong school-analogy writing, Tassadar Perhaps you should consider publishing it in the opinion column of some newspaper (not j/k).
Hmm....I'd probably be hunted down by the FBI and slaughtered

Quote:
But I should note that Tassadar outdoes you here.
Oh come now.....Were pretty equal here.