Old February 8, 2003, 02:19   #31
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 11:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
See, Paiktis? Someone else thinks its a boy...

OT, I might take the anti-war crowd more seriously if they put as much thought and effort into understanding the issues as they did in making catchy slogans.
Old February 8, 2003, 02:23   #32
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 17:56
Because he misread my post.
Not out of the blue like you did... Freudian slip!
Old February 8, 2003, 04:11   #33
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 18:56
yep, because of misread post. I wouldn't take that for a man? What's wrong with you Drake
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old February 8, 2003, 04:20   #34
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 23:56
Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
OT, I might take the anti-war crowd more seriously if they put as much thought and effort into understanding the issues as they did in making catchy slogans.
And what makes you think they don't?
Old February 8, 2003, 04:51   #35
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 10:56
Quote:
I might take the anti-war crowd more seriously if they put as much thought and effort into understanding the issues as they did in making catchy slogans.
I might take the pro-war crowd seriously if they put *any* thought in the post-Saddam situation.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old February 8, 2003, 13:43   #36
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

I might take the pro-war crowd seriously if they thought, period.
Old February 8, 2003, 14:06   #37
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Local Time: 15:56
That was never the motivation for the Pro-War crowd, surely. Thought, I mean. They just want to get an adrenalin kick. Yee-haw! Testosterone!
Old February 8, 2003, 14:24   #38
Az
Emperor

I liked the "If you can't pronounce it, don't bomb it"

Quote:
George Carlin said that US policy has always been to bomb anybody we think has bigger ****s than we do.
I remember that monologue about missiles and penises. That wasn't what he said.

erm, Buck, what?
Old February 8, 2003, 15:49   #39
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
And what makes you think they don't?
What's the anti-war crowd's solution to the problem posed by Iraq? How do they propose we stop the spread of WMD's? How do they plan on democratizing the Middle East and defeating Islamic fundamentalism?

Real answers to these question would make me respect the anti-war crowd a hell of a lot more, but all we get from them is stupid slogans...

Quote:
I might take the pro-war crowd seriously if they put *any* thought in the post-Saddam situation.
What makes you think they haven't? It's my major concern with the war as well, but there have been indications that the adminstration has planned for a post-war Iraq.
Old February 8, 2003, 16:43   #40
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
What's the anti-war crowd's solution to the problem posed by Iraq?
Containment.

Quote:
How do they propose we stop the spread of WMD's?
How does invading Iraq accomplish that?

Quote:
How do they plan on democratizing the Middle East
That's not very high on my list of priorities when it comes to sends troops into action.

Quote:
and defeating Islamic fundamentalism?
How does invading a secular country accomplish that?
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old February 8, 2003, 16:51   #41
Az
Emperor

devil's advocate or anti-war?
Old February 8, 2003, 16:52   #42
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
What makes you think they haven't?
For instance, the whole lack of dialogue on this issue in the public discourse. Hawks cleary don't have an answer, and for the few that do, either it's not grounded in reality or they don't give a **** about the Iraqi people.

Quote:
It's my major concern with the war as well, but there have been indications that the adminstration has planned for a post-war Iraq.
I'm sured Shrub et al. have planned something. But that doesn't mean that it's well thought-out or the plan is morally acceptable.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old February 8, 2003, 16:55   #43
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 08:56
It would be interesting to see the anti war groups come up with a comprehensive and realistic bunch of policies that would solve the issue of WoMD without resorting to war.

Of course I doubt they will because it is very easy to find fault with other people and very difficult to come up with real solutions to real problems.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old February 8, 2003, 16:55   #44
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by uh Clem

paiktis22, the truth is, we're ALL like this. That jingoistic flag-waving stuff is just a troll for the Europeans. Nobody here takes it seriously.

Take Lancer, for instance; he's actually a speechwriter for Noam Chomsky. Bet you didn't know that. And Slowwhand is co-chair of the state Green Party in Texas. Last I heard, lord of the mark was collaborating with Howard Zinn on a new edition of People's History of the United States.

Fact is, I'm probably the most conservative person around here.

Honest.
This was a great ****ing post.

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old February 8, 2003, 16:57   #45
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Containment.
Containment isn't a solution; it just pushes resolution of the issue off until a later date.

Quote:
How does invading Iraq accomplish that?
One less country actively seeking nuclear weapons...

Quote:
That's not very high on my list of priorities when it comes to sends troops into action.
If you want to win the war on terror, it should be your number one priority.

Quote:
How does invading a secular country accomplish that?
Iraq is the Arab nation most likely to be receptive to democratic government, due to its secular nature and educated populace. It's the best place to introduce democracy to the Middle East to serve as an alternative to Islamic fundamentalism.
Old February 8, 2003, 17:01   #46
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
For instance, the whole lack of dialogue on this issue in the public discourse.
Most of the important decision-making on complex issues like this takes place outside of the public discourse. There has been a discussion of this issue going on in foreign policy circles, which I'm sure has continued in the administration. Just because we don't know much about the plans doesn't mean they don't exist or are horrible. As a curious individual, I'd certainly like to see the plans laid out in detail, but I'm also smart enough to know why that hasn't happened yet.
Old February 8, 2003, 17:06   #47
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Because the plans aren't morally accpetable. I find it very unlikely that we're suddenly going to abandon the Turkish alliance or the strongly anti-Iranian policy.
-Bokonon
Old February 8, 2003, 17:11   #48
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Because the plans aren't morally accpetable. I find it very unlikely that we're suddenly going to abandon the Turkish alliance or the strongly anti-Iranian policy.
You need to explain this a little more. Taking Turkish interests into account and opposing Iran doesn't automatically make a plan immoral...
Old February 8, 2003, 17:16   #49
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 00:56
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Iraq is the Arab nation most likely to be receptive to democratic government, due to its secular nature and educated populace. It's the best place to introduce democracy to the Middle East to serve as an alternative to Islamic fundamentalism.
There's no possible way that the US will establish a democratic regime in Iraq, that would mean handing Iraq over to the Shi'ite majority which would mean a complete (and very messy overhaul) of the Iraqi state and mechanism and the disestablishment of the vast majority of the Iraqi elite. It would also enrage the Saudis.
Old February 8, 2003, 17:18   #50
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Containment isn't a solution;
Why not? It's worked before.

Quote:
Quote:
If you want to win the war on terror, it should be your number one priority.
Serving braod strategic aims should be the only concern of a country sending troops abroad, not silly idealistic notions like spreading liberty to the ME.
Old February 8, 2003, 17:20   #51
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

In a nutshell:

1. Kurds will lose their autonomy, either by being annexed by Turkey or reannexed by Iraq. It'll also be very bloody when this happens.
2. It's unlikely that we'll let overwhelmingly Shia Iraq vote for whomever they like given the possibility of an Iran-friendly government taking power at the expense of currently entrenched Sunni powers.
-Bokonon
Old February 8, 2003, 17:31   #52
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
There's no possible way that the US will establish a democratic regime in Iraq
Why are you so sure about that? It certainly won't be easy, but it's not impossible either.

Quote:
It would also enrage the Saudis.
Who cares? The Saudis aren't friends of the US and the sooner we're rid of them, the better.

Quote:
Why not? It's worked before.
How? Saddam still has WMD and America has enraged a generation of Arab youth by placing troops in Saudi Arabia and "murdering" Iraqi citizens with sanctions.

Quote:
Serving braod strategic aims should be the only concern of a country sending troops abroad, not silly idealistic notions like spreading liberty to the ME.
There are broad strategic aims in regards to Iraq; the "silly" idealistic notions are just a bonus.

BTW, it's a little disturbing to see an American calling the active encouragement of democracy "silly".

Quote:
1. Kurds will lose their autonomy, either by being annexed by Turkey or reannexed by Iraq. It'll also be very bloody when this happens.
Kurdish leaders have already said that they support being part of a democratic Iraq. They would prefer to be independent, but they understand that the realities of the situation prevent that.

Quote:
2. It's unlikely that we'll let overwhelmingly Shia Iraq vote for whomever they like given the possibility of an Iran-friendly government taking power at the expense of currently entrenched Sunni powers.
Why would the US be totally opposed to a democratic Iraq that is friendly to Iran? The point of democratizing Iraq is to encourage democracy in other states in the region and Iran in particular. A Shiite-led democracy in Iraq would provide a great example for Iranian democracy proponents, possibly hastening the removal of the Ayatollahs. Sounds like a great thing from a US perspective, as long as the Iraqi government is friendly to us as well as Iran.
Old February 8, 2003, 17:39   #53
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
There are broad strategic aims in regards to Iraq; the "silly" idealistic notions are just a bonus.
Name them
Old February 8, 2003, 17:48   #54
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Your link doesn't work, DD.

Preventing Saddam from acquiring nukes is a broad strategic aim, as it helps maintain the balance of power in the Middle East.
Old February 8, 2003, 17:52   #55
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Your link doesn't work, DD.
Try this one then
Old February 8, 2003, 17:54   #56
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 09:56
[antiwar view on those who support war]

*chants* WAR WAR WAR WAR

*beats drums and sacrafices a virgin, all the while shaking a bone rattle and dancing around a large fire*

[\antiwar view on those who support war]

Old February 8, 2003, 17:56   #57
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Kurdish leaders have already said that they support being part of a democratic Iraq. They would prefer to be independent, but they understand that the realities of the situation prevent that.
You really think that the Kurds would meekly go back to submission to Baghdad after Rumsfeld gives them lots of weapons and liberate the Iraqis to the South, given the penchant for ethnic cleansing among the states in the region? Who's going to take away their guns?

Quote:
Why would the US be totally opposed to a democratic Iraq that is friendly to Iran? The point of democratizing Iraq is to encourage democracy in other states in the region and Iran in particular. A Shiite-led democracy in Iraq would provide a great example for Iranian democracy proponents, possibly hastening the removal of the Ayatollahs. Sounds like a great thing from a US perspective, as long as the Iraqi government is friendly to us as well as Iran.
We've already given up on the reformists. Hence, the reason for dumping Khatami, "Axis of Evil," etc. Shrub is taking a hard-line stance towards Iran, there's no indication that this policy will change. Furthermore, we're not about to alienate the Sunni interests already in power. Not only would that royally piss off the Saudis, it would turn Iraq into a bloody Civil War. We aren't about to committ are resources into that fight or let Iran play a part.
-Bokonon
Old February 8, 2003, 17:58   #58
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Kramerman
*beats drums and sacrafices a virgin, all the while shaking a bone rattle and dancing around a large fire*
Sounds like a party!
Old February 8, 2003, 18:05   #59
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
The third strike against a policy of containment, according to those who have called for war, is that such a policy is unlikely to stop Saddam from getting nuclear weapons. Once he gets them, so the argument runs, a host of really bad things will happen. For example, President Bush has warned that Saddam intends to “blackmail the world”; likewise, National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice believes he would use nuclear weapons to “blackmail the entire international community.” Others fear a nuclear arsenal would enable Iraq to invade its neighbors and then deter the United States from ousting the Iraqi army as it did in 1991. Even worse, Saddam might surreptitiously slip a nuclear weapon to al Qaeda or some like-minded terrorist organization, thereby making it possible for these groups to attack the United States directly.
The article brings up these reasons and never really disproves them. He uses the Soviet Union as an example of how deterrence would prevent this, ignoring the large differences between Iraq and the USSR. North Korea is a better example of what a nuclear Iraq might be like and they've certainly managed to blackmail the world and are a significant threat of selling weapons to Islamic fundies.

All in all, there are few good reasons to continue a costly containment policy when Saddam can be removed so easily.

Of course, what would one expect from Foreign Policy? Foreign Affairs is sooo much better...
Old February 8, 2003, 18:06   #60
Bosh
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 00:56
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Why would the US be totally opposed to a democratic Iraq that is friendly to Iran?