Old February 8, 2003, 15:54   #31
Giovanni Wine
NationStatesNever Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 16:57
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Coke?
You have a point here, but we Euros are open to "foreign" things, as long as it is good

Plus can you really call Coke a cultural achievment?

Saluti
"If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu
"In vino veritas" - Plinio il vecchio
Old February 8, 2003, 15:55   #32
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 08:57
Sandman: Like the EU ignoring a quarter million muslims being executed helped in any way. Face it man. Europe was afraid to do what was necisary to stop the whole sale slaughter of people based upon their religion and something similar probably would have happened in Kosovo if Clinton hadn't forced the issue.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old February 8, 2003, 15:56   #33
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 10:57
Quote:
Originally posted by Sandman
Does 'cookie dough' actually exist?
I would have sworn that cookies existed in the UK. Silly me.

Quote:
Plus can you really call Coke a cultural achievment?
It pales in comparison to the contribution that the Italians gave us: the pizza.
Old February 8, 2003, 15:58   #34
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 11:57
Oerdin: Don't forget that Germany aided the Croatians as much as the US aided the Muslims. More Muslims would've been slaughtered if the US hadn't stepped in...
Old February 8, 2003, 15:59   #35
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Crunch
No they aren't, and no we aren't.
SD: Is that why Macdonald's is the most popular restaurant (in terms of numbers of people eatting there) in France, Germany, and Italy? It's only #2 in the U.K. behind Burger King but then again BK is another American fast food joint.

So do you want your Royal with or without cheese?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old February 8, 2003, 16:01   #36
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
It's a left right thing. Leftists in Europe attack the U.S. since it is the most visable symbol of the political right while American rightists attack Europe for being the most visable symbol of the left.

Most people don't give a **** except to make the odd joke.
Spot on!

It's mostly a political thing, which is why you have such an proliferation of this sentiment on Poly.

Most Americans and Europeans actually like the other side and believe, that despite our minor difference, we are still on the same side.

Europe
USA
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old February 8, 2003, 16:05   #37
Giovanni Wine
King

Oerdin: The reason of that is that because unlike in the Us most European countries do not have only chain restaurants, but have mostly famili owned restaurant, off course McDonald since it's in many places (mostly turistic places BTW ), all the many McDonalds added together do more than what just a single family owned restaurant, for as good it may be, can do.

DinoDoc:

Saluti
"If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu
Old February 8, 2003, 16:15   #38
Oerdin
Deity

I can't speak for places like the mid-west or the south but here in California most of the restaurants are family owned. Sure, all the chains are here too but the majority are single propriator type establishments.
Old February 8, 2003, 16:22   #39
Giovanni Wine
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
I can't speak for places like the mid-west or the south but here in California most of the restaurants are family owned. Sure, all the chains are here too but the majority are single propriator type establishments.
uhmm.. that's another good reason for me to go visit California sooner or later

Saluti
Old February 8, 2003, 16:25   #40
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:

SD: Is that why Macdonald's is the most popular restaurant (in terms of numbers of people eatting there) in France, Germany, and Italy? It's only #2 in the U.K. behind Burger King but then again BK is another American fast food joint.

So do you want your Royal with or without cheese?
Having the largest consumer base proves nothing. What share of the market do they have? 5, 10, 20 per cent of sales? What percentage of total restaurants?
Old February 8, 2003, 16:28   #41
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Burger King is British, BTW, albeit American styled.
Old February 8, 2003, 16:31   #42
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Burger King is British, BTW, albeit American styled.
It was founded in Miami. Florida.
Old February 8, 2003, 16:33   #43
Drake Tungsten
Deity

It's owned by a British company though. Can't remember which one.
Old February 8, 2003, 16:39   #44
Bugs ****ing Bunny
Emperor

Quote:

Because the concept of the "big brand" eating chain is American. What's more, there are still far more traditional British chippies than there are of all burger outlets combined.
Old February 8, 2003, 16:40   #45
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Crunch
Having the largest consumer base proves nothing. What share of the market do they have? 5, 10, 20 per cent of sales? What percentage of total restaurants?
I'm afraid I don't have those figures, but, someone is eatting all those burgers though.
BTW Didn't a British outfit buy up BK a few years back?
Old February 8, 2003, 17:05   #46
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 09:57
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
It's a left right thing. Leftists in Europe attack the U.S. since it is the most visable symbol of the political right while American rightists attack Europe for being the most visable symbol of the left.

Most people don't give a **** except to make the odd joke.
Spot on!

It's mostly a political thing, which is why you have such an proliferation of this sentiment on Poly.

Most Americans and Europeans actually like the other side and believe, that despite our minor difference, we are still on the same side.

Europe
USA
yup
Old February 8, 2003, 17:08   #47
Oerdin
Deity

Wow, so many people are agreeing with me.
Old February 8, 2003, 17:09   #48
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 17:57
One other mistake that americanski tend to make here in Poly and get excited is this:

We (those not amerikanski) will talk about movies and music that EVERYONE here is likely to know.

This is by far american or british music (since that's what global mass media distribution is).

And you think that that's all there is.

But that's your mistake.

i.e. in Greece 80% of music listened to is Greek.

Yet I'll not talk here about that 80% that everybody listens to but the other 20% or even less that citizens of Poly are most likely to know.

I think, maybe I am mistaken myself, that many Americans get enthousiastic from hearing us talk only about american films and music here (some of which are excellent) and get a rather biased impression of what goes on in each European country.

Cheers.
Old February 8, 2003, 17:09   #49
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 09:57
Quote:
Wow, so many people are agreeing with me.
I agree
Old February 8, 2003, 17:33   #50
Rogan Josh
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
It's owned by a British company though. Can't remember which one.
Grand Metropolitan (although this is not something the Brits should be pround of)

Most American 'culture' is stolen from Europe and repackaged in a rather crass and vulgar 'fast-food' style, before being shipped back to us. Compare US pizza with Italian pizza and you will see what I mean. The problem is that most Americans are brainwashed by US society into believing that their culture is really their own.

The only original US culture is 'black' culture (I am not sure of the correct expression, but you know what I mean) which definitely is a purely US acheivement.

And Californian wines aren't bad....
Old February 8, 2003, 17:41   #51
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by paiktis22
One other mistake that americanski tend to make here in Poly and get excited is this:...
Paiki: You know your going to be assimulated like the rest of them

Welcome to the collective.
Old February 8, 2003, 17:45   #52
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Ah... illusion is a great painkiller, ain't it?
Old February 8, 2003, 17:55   #53
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 15:57
who gives a rats ass? Its all political. Left v Right. Europe and USA will always be best of friends. The tension now is pretty small when considering a range of issue's in the last 20 years. They will like us when they become more like us politically, or vice versa.
Old February 8, 2003, 17:58   #54
Thorgal
Spanish Civers
Emperor

Quote:
Is that why Macdonald's is the most popular restaurant (in terms of numbers of people eatting there) in France, Germany, and Italy?
The Mcdonnals´s, Burger Kings... are only considered a very cheap and quick form to eat. As it is logical, nobody in Europe is going to eat to a McDonald by gastronomic, but by practical reasons.
Old February 8, 2003, 18:06   #55
faded glory
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 15:57
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic_corner_google-french.bmp.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	36339  
Old February 8, 2003, 18:27   #56
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

" Yet I'll not talk here about that 80% that everybody listens to but the other 20% or even less that citizens of Poly are most likely to know."

Of the top 10 movies in Greece, not one is Greek and at least 6 are American...

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/greece/2003/05.htm

One thing I don't like is the sometimes obsessive focus on the US in the non-US media. We don't have as much influence on the rest of the world as many non-Americans believe, which in turn creates a sense among many that they need to protect what is theirs. This creates a lot of misguided anti-Americanism.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Last edited by DanS; February 8, 2003 at 18:39.
Old February 8, 2003, 18:46   #57
Bereta_Eder
Settler

That's because Greek cinema for the most part has to do with state funded "intellectual" pieces of garbage that only the director, his mom and his girlfriend will see.
Don't get me started with that.

Still there is a spectacular but marginal revival whereas the vast, unenlightened folks will dash to go see th last Hollywood crap
Old February 8, 2003, 18:54   #58
Drake Tungsten
Deity

How come no one ever talks about Greek cultural imperialism? We don't want your damn wedding movies, you wannabe Turks!
Old February 8, 2003, 18:58   #59
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Alas, even their weddings are now American creations.

That's because Greek cinema for the most part has to do with state funded "intellectual" pieces of garbage that only the director, his mom and his girlfriend will see.

OK, but why not watch more French movies then?
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old February 8, 2003, 18:59   #60
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 10:57
Whoever coined words like "Anti-Americanism" ought to be shot.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon