Old February 8, 2003, 17:11   #1
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 09:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Nobel winners attack Bush economics
Here is offical conformation of what most people have been saying about Bush's economic plan (or lack there of) since he took office. From the BBC:
Quote:
Ten Nobel prize winning economists have attacked President George W Bush's tax cutting policies.
On Monday, Mr Bush sent his budget - designed to help revive the US economy and boost military spending - to Congress for approval.

But the combination of cutting taxes and increasing spending will mean that the US is set to notch up record budget deficits greater than those run-up by his father more than 10 years ago.

The most pointed criticism by the economists is that the proposed tax cuts will not deliver what they are meant to do - to provide a boost to the US economy which is struggling to recover from a recession in 2001.

"Regardless of how one views the specifics of the Bush plan, there is wide agreement that its purpose is a permanent change in the tax structure and not the creation of jobs and growth in the near term," the economists said in a statement published by the Economic Policy Institute.

Nobel economic laureates Joseph Stiglitz, Franco Modigliani and Lawrence Klein reserved much of their scorn for the proposal to cut the tax on share dividend payouts.

Stock market gains?

This was a key component of President Bush's plan, aimed at helping to shore up the struggling stock markets.

"The permanent dividend tax cut, in particular, is not credible as a short-term stimulus," the statement said.

"Moreover, the proposed tax cuts will generate further inequalities in after-tax income," it said.

The statement, which has been signed by almost 400 economists, will be formally released at a news conference by the Washington-based think-tank on Monday 10 February.

"Overcapacity, corporate scandals and uncertainty have and will continue to weigh down the economy," they said

Alternative plan

The economists offered an alternative economic plan.

"To be effective, a stimulus plan should rely on immediate but temporary spending and tax measures to expand demand and it should also rely on immediate but temporary incentives for investment," they said.

The seven other Nobel winners who signed the statement were George Akerlof, Kenneth Arrow, Daniel McFadden, Paul Samuelson, Robert Solow, Douglass North and William Sharpe.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old February 8, 2003, 17:15   #2
Oerdin
Deity

Virtually every economist on the planet has said cutting taxes on stock dividends will not boost industrial output and/or services. Yet, Bush dogmatically continues to assert given tax breaks to millionares will cause a dramatic increase in consumuption and will some how prevent budget deficits.

This would be funny if it wasn't so serious. We're going to spend a generation digging our way out of the hole this idiot has made for us.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old February 8, 2003, 17:18   #3
Oerdin
Deity

NEWS Flash: Cutting pay roll taxes puts money in the hands of people who spend it while give aways to the wealthy ussually get slushed into stocks or savings accounts. If money is saved and not circulated then it doesn't boost economic output.
Old February 8, 2003, 17:19   #4
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 19:00
Old February 8, 2003, 17:20   #5
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 16:00
Yes! And the even better news is that if he gets his way with the new and *improved* patriot act, we'll all be able to do it while being closely monitored by our local "Patriot Brigade" chapter! Such fun!

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old February 8, 2003, 17:21   #6
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 11:00
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
NEWS Flash: Cutting pay roll taxes puts money in the hands of people who spend it
I'm all for killing SS at the earliest possible time. You have my full support for this proposal.
Old February 8, 2003, 17:24   #7
DuncanK
Warlord

Local Time: 08:00
This is what I've been ranting and raving about.
Old February 8, 2003, 17:27   #8
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

What? You mean deficit spending for idiotic investments is a bad thing? Imagine that.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old February 8, 2003, 17:33   #9
Az
Emperor

Quote:
I'm all for killing SS at the earliest possible time. You have my full support for this proposal.
what does this have to do with what he said?
Old February 8, 2003, 17:33   #10
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
DD: There is no SS trust fund. The funds are drawn directly from the federal treasury; therefor SS will go belly up eventually whither we cut pay roll taxes or stock dividend taxes.

The question now is do we spend the time we do have doing something which is likely to boost economic output or something which is unlikely to boost economic output. You decide.
Old February 8, 2003, 17:35   #11
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 10:00
You all are operating under the foolish assumption Bush wants to put more money into your pockets. He's helping the people who elected him, why would he help anyone else? People who complain about his policies are his enemies.
Old February 8, 2003, 17:36   #12
Velociryx
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of FameC4DG Gathering StormThe Courts of Candle'Bre

Local Time: 16:00
Well said, Static....as the new, and improved Patriot act makes *crystal* clear....

-=Vel=-
The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.
Old February 8, 2003, 17:42   #13
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
what does this have to do with what he said?
How do you think SS contributions are made?
Old February 8, 2003, 17:43   #14
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 12:00
Eliminating the dividend tax is a good long-term policy, but it certainly isn't stimulus. I don't oppose it, but it could've been proposed at a more opportune time...
Old February 8, 2003, 17:47   #15
Az
Emperor

Aren't there separate paragraphs for Income tax, and SS?

Besides, it's not like your government cannot afford the cut, without damaging SS, which I heard was in dire straights in the US.

what's your age of retirement?
Old February 8, 2003, 17:49   #16
DinoDoc
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Azazel
Aren't there separate paragraphs for Income tax, and SS?
What exactly do you think payroll taxes are and why do you think he mentioned them as being seperate from income taxes?
Old February 8, 2003, 17:50   #17
Oerdin
Deity

Income tax and SS are two entirely different items but both fall under the catagory of pay roll taxes.
Old February 8, 2003, 18:40   #18
DuncanK
Warlord

As most people, I doubt that the tax-cuts will do much to stimulate the economy in the short run. They will however add to the national debt. If the economy doesn't recover on its own we will need demand stimulating deficits to help it along. Remember that the FF rate is 1.25%(or 1.75%, i could be off a bit). At this point there is little the Fed can do to help. Those future deficits could cause interest rates to increase as well. That could cause interest payments as part of the federal budget to balloon. That could be tough to remedy.
Old February 8, 2003, 18:52   #19
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

I think Bush is playing a bigger game than accounted for by these nobel award winners--their arguments are rather narrow.

Looking at the latest research on taxes and economic incentives, and Bush's proposals, you get the impression that he is trying to move us away from income taxes and more toward a flat consumption tax.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2003Feb7.html

Personally, I don't know what to make of it. I've always hated consumption taxes, or at least the way Europe has done it, but I'm trying to keep an open mind about it.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old February 8, 2003, 19:42   #20
Oerdin
Deity

Dan: There are two seporate issues here. One is the short term stimulus package and wither it is effective, needed, and or justified. The second is a longer term reorganization of the tax code and wither that is needed, should be done, and/or how it should be structured.

The evidience has all come in that Bush's approach to #1 is absolutely wrong and will not provide meaningful amounts of short term stimulus. It will, however, generate a larger budget deficit. #2 is still in the air but the larger the federal deficit the less likely we will have room to do anything about #2.

(BTW sorry all those refrences to #2 sounds kind of gross )
Old February 8, 2003, 19:50   #21
Oerdin
Deity

BTW creating a new "consumption tax" would amount to an increase in taxes and thus Bush would lose his base of antitax Republicans. Also the whole flat tax thing is just another giagantic give away for the rich. What he's talking about is getting ride of the graduated income tax scale we now have and making everyone (poor or rich) pay the same percent of income as income tax. As the system is set up now poor people pay a smaller percent of income tax and wealthy people pay a higher percent of income for the income tax.

Creating a flat tax would mean raising taxes on the poor and DRAMATICALLY lowering taxes on the rich. That is just not a good economic policy.
Old February 8, 2003, 19:55   #22
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
I think Bush is playing a bigger game than accounted for by these nobel award winners--their arguments are rather narrow.
Looking at the latest research on taxes and economic incentives, and Bush's proposals, you get the impression that he is trying to move us away from income taxes and more toward a flat consumption tax.
More regressive taxes. Gotta love Shrub.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old February 8, 2003, 20:25   #23
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

I think progressivity is a worthwhile subject to discuss. There are some studies that indicate progressivity for the upper-upper class is very harmful to the economy.

Personally, I favor at least modest progressivity and therefore like income taxes. But again, I'm trying to keep an open mind about it.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old February 8, 2003, 20:32   #24
DuncanK
Warlord

You don't neccessarily need tax cuts. We could give out those checks again, but just make them bigger.
Old February 8, 2003, 21:42   #25
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Progressive speeding tickets. :doitnow:
Old February 8, 2003, 23:19   #26
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
NEWS Flash: Cutting pay roll taxes puts money in the hands of people who spend it while give aways to the wealthy ussually get slushed into stocks or savings accounts. If money is saved and not circulated then it doesn't boost economic output.
Exactly my thoughts as soon as I heard the plan.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old February 8, 2003, 23:22   #27
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2003Feb7.html
In other words increase taxes on the poor (who spend all their money) and decrease it on the rich (who save a significant portion)?

Never mind the fact that grauated taxation levels are right out the window with that idea, unless you're willing to apply some sort of enormously complicated luxury tax scheme...
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old February 8, 2003, 23:44   #28
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
Cutting pay roll taxes puts money in the hands of people who spend it while give aways to the wealthy ussually get slushed into stocks or savings accounts.
I didn't know you were in favor of ending Social Security and Medicare... and if you aren't, where do you think the money comes from for those programs?

And, duh, of course Bush wants to change the entire tax structure. He is willing to look at the long term as opposed to the short term.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old February 8, 2003, 23:53   #29
Oerdin
Deity

Imran: Look at my response to this on page one. BTW if you want to kill SS then the fast way to do it is to institute a flat tax scheme; without the wealthy kicking in extra to support the retirement of the poor then the meager social safty next we've constructed for seniors goes belly up in no time.
Old February 8, 2003, 23:58   #30
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

SS comes from payroll taxs, Oerdin. A flat tax won't do anything to it.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)