Old February 8, 2003, 19:49   #1
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 16:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
So what if we DO want war with Iraq?
Not one country in the area or the rest of the world, for that matter are, per se, friends with Iraq.

They are the only expansionist power in the region.

They are also enthusiastic developers of WMD- enthusiastic chemical & bio-weapon developers... innovating developing a supergun. History of Saddam's exploits are well documented. He says he's sorry... and won't do that any more...

Right... and if you believe that... then I gotta bridge to sell you.

Whats the problem here, people?

That some Iraqi's are going to die?

They seemed to have no difficulty in surrendering last time. They saw the outcome... they should just surrender a bit earlier this time to save on the casualties.

They only have themselves to blame if they stand in front of the overwhelming force.
Old February 8, 2003, 19:56   #2
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Re: So what if we DO want war with Iraq?
Old February 8, 2003, 20:00   #3
DuncanK
Warlord

Local Time: 08:00
Now we find out that the government was planning this war to drop more laws on us that will take away our constitutional rights. Bottom line is, you have to trust them, and I don't anymore.
Old February 8, 2003, 20:06   #4
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 12:00
Re: So what if we DO want war with Iraq?
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBaggins
Not one country in the area or the rest of the world, for that matter are, per se, friends with Iraq.

You mean aside from Israel, Turkey, and Syria?
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old February 8, 2003, 20:31   #5
Al'Kimiya
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:00
Re: Re: So what if we DO want war with Iraq?
Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
You mean aside from Israel, Turkey, and Syria?
He means the only expansionist power in Mesopotamia
Old February 8, 2003, 20:33   #6
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 11:00
So what if we DO want war with the US?
Not one country in the area or the rest of the world, for that matter are, per se, friends with the US.

They are also enthusiastic developers of WMD- enthusiastic chemical & bio-weapon developers... History of Bush's exploits are well documented. He says he's not sorry... and he'll do it again...

Whats the problem here, people?

That some Americans are going to die?

They seemed to have no difficulty in surrendering in 1812. They saw the outcome... they should just surrender a bit earlier this time to save on the casualties.

They only have themselves to blame if they stand in front of the overwhelming force.

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old February 8, 2003, 20:50   #7
David Floyd
Emperor

Beat me to it, orange
Old February 8, 2003, 20:52   #8
orange
Emperor

the part about 1812 was a stretch, but I figure having your capital burnt to the ground while your leaders run for the hills is close enough

Old February 8, 2003, 20:59   #9
MOBIUS
Emperor

Local Time: 02:00
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Anyone who wants war when there are still other alternatives available is a fool, and definitely deserves to be looking down the wrong end of a barrel themselves...

Hey Orange, I like it when you rewrite history.
Old February 8, 2003, 21:03   #10
chequita guevara
Emperor

I'd argue for shooting all the war-mongers, since they like seeing violence done to innocents, but they're far more likely to have guns than the anti-war crowd.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old February 8, 2003, 21:12   #11
NeOmega
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
I'd argue for shooting all the war-mongers, since they like seeing violence done to innocents, but they're far more likely to have guns than the anti-war crowd.
Not the Libertarian or Pat Buchanan objectors.... they could do the shooting easily.
Old February 8, 2003, 21:19   #12
chequita guevara
Emperor

I am filled with both fear and joy. I know there's nothing we can do to stop the US from murdering the people of Iraq, but it heartens me greatly to see the swelling opposition in America to this murder carried out in our name. If only we had time.
Old February 8, 2003, 21:25   #13
Demerzel
Warlord

We burnt Washington down in 1814 tho' not 1812 ( which was when the war started )

And we'll do it again if necessary, get rid of Bush quick Americans or be prepared to cry "The British are coming!" again
Old February 8, 2003, 21:25   #14
NeOmega
Prince

Nope no time, once March approaches it is too hot, and chemical suits are too hot to be practical.

Just burning cities.....

I predict Cincinnati, Seattle, San Fransisco, Washington D.C. , Los Angeles and Hollywood, Sacremento, and oh say Minneapolis (why not?) will erupt into rioting within days of the outbreak.

I know it sounds crazy but there are alot of "far right" objectors to the war also..... including fundamentalist Christians.
Old February 8, 2003, 21:30   #15
orange
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Demerzel
We burnt Washington down in 1814 tho' not 1812 ( which was when the war started )

And we'll do it again if necessary, get rid of Bush quick Americans or be prepared to cry "The British are coming!" again
hah, yeah, i started writing something different which said "The War of 1812" and then erased "The War of"

Old February 8, 2003, 21:33   #16
orange
Emperor

NeOmega - I highly doubt it. And I've been to rallies. People may not like the war, but not many Americans who don't support war are willing to rally or riot because of it. Sad truth. Because if they did, half the nation would be on the streets protesting - Bush couldn't ignore that.

During Hardball at my University, when Matthews asked who supported and who didn't, it was something like 4 times as many were against war...probably 80% to 20%...but not that many people attended our protest in Newark last week, and not that many will in the coming weeks when we do it again.

So, as much as I'd like to see that come true, let's be realistic.

Old February 8, 2003, 21:38   #17
NeOmega
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by orange
NeOmega - I highly doubt it. And I've been to rallies. People may not like the war, but not many Americans who don't support war are willing to rally or riot because of it. Sad truth. Because if they did, half the nation would be on the streets protesting - Bush couldn't ignore that.

During Hardball at my University, when Matthews asked who supported and who didn't, it was something like 4 times as many were against war...probably 80% to 20%...but not that many people attended our protest in Newark last week, and not that many will in the coming weeks when we do it again.

So, as much as I'd like to see that come true, let's be realistic.
I don't wish for violent protests. There are cities that are much more on edge than others.... I named Cincinnati, Seattle and Los Angeles for a reason. Mostly they have had recent riots, and most riotors got away clean. I have talked to a few of the WTO riotors, they loved the excitement, and the anarchy, and they didn't learn their lesson the first time. They talk of it as a great adventure and about how oppresive and wrong the police were.

I have not actively searched for peace protests yet, but believe me, when war actually begins... I will be there.
Old February 8, 2003, 21:48   #18
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by NeOmega
I have not actively searched for peace protests yet, but believe me, when war actually begins... I will be there.
That's when it's too late. If this is anything like Gulf War I, there will be massive protests for the first week, and then the movement will collapse under the weight of its own depression. Many of the wealky anti-war will become supporters because they believe that opposing the war means opposing the soldiers.

The time to act is now. I don't think we can stop the war from happening, but I'm certainly willing to be proven wrong.
Old February 8, 2003, 21:51   #19
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
Many of the wealky anti-war will become supporters because they believe that opposing the war means opposing the soldiers.
So? Why should I support people who volunteer to join a military that they know has a history of aggression?
Old February 8, 2003, 21:53   #20
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

I think Poly's leftist community has finally gone off the deep end. Oh well, at least they are good for their entermainment value now.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old February 8, 2003, 21:57   #21
orange
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by David Floyd
So? Why should I support people who volunteer to join a military that they know has a history of aggression?
um, weren't you about to volunteer last year?

Old February 8, 2003, 21:57   #22
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by David Floyd
I'm not saying you have to do so, I'm saying that most of the anti-war movement will quail and quietly vanish, just as happened last time. Unless, somehow, the war proves to be longer than we expect, the majority will support the war once it starts. If it takes more than a few months, however, people will begin to question their support of it. Basically, middle Americans are pretty fickle.

Amerians have also had it beaten into their heads for the last twenty years that Vietnam Vets weren't given any support either during the war or after, and that reulted in American defeat, large numbers of American dead, and high suicide rates among vets, all of which, is simply a right-wing myth.
Old February 8, 2003, 21:59   #23
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
I think Poly's leftist community has finally gone off the deep end. Oh well, at least they are good for their entermainment value now.
They're laying the melodrama on pretty thick, aren't they?
Old February 8, 2003, 22:03   #24
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Quote:
They're laying the melodrama on pretty thick, aren't they?
Atleast they're actually making arguments and not just using smilies and throwing fezisms around.

Do It Ourselves
Old February 8, 2003, 22:12   #25
NeOmega
Prince

Well I havent caught wind of Seattle protests until I see it on the nightly news.... I've left the preoccupation with politics for a while to focus on my mod..... it is much better for my heart and soul... the weight of the world can get very heavy sometimes....

Hows that for melodrama!

But true it is. A concious decision it was. However I have wandered back in because it is driving me insane with anger again.
Old February 8, 2003, 22:27   #26
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 10:00
Orange:
Quote:
In all fairness, Canada has itself expanded in the past fifty years as well.
Old February 8, 2003, 22:30   #27
orange
Emperor

dividing up old territories to make new ones is hardly 'expansionist'

Old February 8, 2003, 22:32   #28
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

That's not what I'm talking about.
Old February 8, 2003, 22:35   #29
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Newfoundland joined Canada in 1949.
Old February 8, 2003, 22:50   #30
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 09:00
That was 54 year ago. Your post said in the last 50 years.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.