Old February 8, 2003, 22:34   #1
SorvinoBackhand
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEM
Chieftain

Local Time: 11:01
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Does the Iron Works Cause Pollution ?
Anyone know the answer to that ?

Thanks.
Old February 8, 2003, 23:01   #2
pedrojedi
Prince

Local Time: 13:01
I think yeah. It raises production. More production = more pollution.
Old February 9, 2003, 00:20   #3
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

I don't think so, but I think it should be tested.

However, NEVER restrict yourself from building the IW because it woudl create pollution. In fact, if you get a site, you might even consider moving the palace near it, if conditions allow it...

--Kon--
Old February 9, 2003, 00:32   #4
trevor
Warlord

yes, 4, the most pollution in the game.
Old February 9, 2003, 00:40   #5
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 10:01
But look at the bright side, it makes cities with production of over 100 very possible.

Screw the pollution, build it!

BTW, remember that using Shift-P on a Worker automatically sends them to clean up a polluted square, this is really useful when 2 or 3 polluted squares appear per turn.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old February 9, 2003, 14:24   #6
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 09:01
Quote:
Originally posted by Master Zen
BTW, remember that using Shift-P on a Worker automatically sends them to clean up a polluted square, this is really useful when 2 or 3 polluted squares appear per turn.
... and it is really frustrating when there is NO pollution. Then you have to stand them all down and Shift-P them again when pollution reappears.
Old February 10, 2003, 00:53   #7
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Which is probably why I don't bother to automate at all.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old February 10, 2003, 07:26   #8
SorvinoBackhand
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEM
Chieftain

Jaybe makes a good point. There should be a way to keep the workers automated on pollution cleanup even when you have none on a given turn. That way you wouldn't have to fortify all on one turn and re-command them the next.

I think this interface difficulty is kept in to 'encourage' you to build Mass Transit and the Recycling Plant.
Old February 10, 2003, 08:27   #9
Mazarin
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

Local Time: 16:01
I always use shift-a...this way my workers will clean pollution whenever it appears an will be railroading every tile when they don't have anything else to do.
Old February 10, 2003, 14:28   #10
SorvinoBackhand
Chieftain

And what do you do when all your tiles are railroaded and otherwise improved ?
Old February 10, 2003, 17:17   #11
pedrojedi
Prince

Wait for pollution to clean up, make watch tower, radar towers, field airports... wait for enemy terrain to be won so to get workers there and improve my (new) terrain...

Usually I use the slave workers to build up towers, field airports and radars... other times, I just use a mix of different nationality workers to put in a new-found city. Usually the city won't flip. Just as guarantee, I put equal number of every nationality worker in the population, and equal of mine workers as well.

You can use them to lure your opponents with your good intentions, giving some of them to the enemy, er, adversary civ, or returning the former slaves to the enem, ups, former-enemy.
Old February 11, 2003, 01:59   #12
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Usually after I send some workers to clean pollution I lump them in the same square and Fortify All. Then when pollution returns I Wake All and send them to clean up

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old February 11, 2003, 02:04   #13
aaglo
King

Local Time: 19:01
Yes it does.

Before IW I was getting 48 shields and no pollution in that city. With IW it was producing 96 shields and 4 pollution.
Old February 11, 2003, 02:12   #14
The Mad Monk
Emperor

If you open the editor, you can easily find out exactly what pollutes, and how much.

The thing I found surprising was the one pollution found on airports.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old February 11, 2003, 02:19   #15
bigfree1

But what does that "one pollution" exactly mean? What are the actual chances that a city cotaining an improvement that produces "one pollution" to have a pollution blob suddenly show up on a city square? What are the numbers regarding pollution and it's distribution according to the games logistics?

Old February 11, 2003, 02:23   #16
aaglo
King

Local Time: 19:01
One pollution means the same as one chimney in Civ1 - it represents the chance of getting one of those 20 squares polluted. Thus the more pollution, the more likely to get polluted city squares.
Old February 11, 2003, 02:31   #17
Wycoff
Prince

Yes, and lots of it. It produces a large amount of shields, and a corresponding amount of pollution. Be prepared!
Old February 11, 2003, 08:30   #18
pedrojedi
Prince

Quote:
But what does that "one pollution" exactly mean? What are the actual chances that a city cotaining an improvement that produces "one pollution" to have a pollution blob suddenly show up on a city square? What are the numbers regarding pollution and it's distribution according to the games logistics?
That's something troubling. The only answer we have until now is "the more you have, the more chances you get to be polluted". It would be nice if we had some percentage about these things, like "4 pollution = 10% of actual blotted square", or something like that.

The same goes for the global warming thing. How much pollution can we stand so there'll be no terrain changing? Or this is a cumulative effect?
Old February 11, 2003, 14:14   #19
The Mad Monk
Emperor

All I know about global warming is that I hated the tile-changing trick so much that I turned the damn thing off in the editor.

Now I don't mind it a bit!
Old February 11, 2003, 14:34   #20
Master Zen
Deity

Also one must take into account that population causes pollution beginning in the late industrial age (i think when you get Motorized Transport)

Whoever, I still don't know what's the formula for population pollustion

Old February 12, 2003, 01:59   #21
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I think population causes polution once it gets above twelve, or when population exceeds the number of usable squares, whichever comes first.
Old February 13, 2003, 11:20   #22
Mad Bomber
King

Local Time: 12:01
IIRC, One tile is affected by GW for every 9 tiles where pollution is present at the end of a turn. This is world wide, not just in your territory. (that was from CIV 2 but I think that it is the same in CIV3 and PTW as well.)

Master Zen:

Population starts to pollute once the size of a city reaches a metropolis (which is why I make a town=8 and a city=16)
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Old February 13, 2003, 13:01   #23
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

Local Time: 18:01
Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Bomber
IIRC, One tile is affected by GW for every 9 tiles where pollution is present at the end of a turn. This is world wide, not just in your territory. (that was from CIV 2 but I think that it is the same in CIV3 and PTW as well.)

Master Zen:

Population starts to pollute once the size of a city reaches a metropolis (which is why I make a town=8 and a city=16)
hi ,

ahem , and what then concerning cities that are size 6 and have polution , ...... caused by buildings , ......

have a nice day
Old February 13, 2003, 13:33   #24
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Either way : it is still well worth it to build it. The advantages far outweight the pollution.
Old February 13, 2003, 18:03   #25
Mad Bomber
King

Quote:
Originally posted by panag

hi ,

ahem , and what then concerning cities that are size 6 and have polution , ...... caused by buildings , ......

have a nice day
Yes, Panang. City improvements do cause pollution......

Factories, Manufacturing Plant's, Coal Plants, Research Labs and Airports all create pollution. Also keep in mind that if a city shares tiles the pollution may not have come from the city it is listed but from the city it shares the tile with.
Old February 13, 2003, 18:53   #26
pedrojedi
Prince

Quote:
Also keep in mind that if a city shares tiles the pollution may not have come from the city it is listed but from the city it shares the tile with.
This is something new. Never heard about it. How did this happen to you, exactly?
Old February 14, 2003, 10:31   #27
Mad Bomber
King

Petro:

lets say that there are two cities. the first is City A, the second is city B. Imagine that they share a few tiles. lets say that pollution occurs in a tile shared by the two cities. It is possible that the polltuion was caused by city B, but because the tile is closer to city A, the game will say "there is pollution by City A" even if it was caused by City B.