Old February 9, 2003, 09:32   #1
ivujosev
Settler

Local Time: 16:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Slave workers.
Hi,

Are there any slave worker disadvantages apart from time taken to complete work. i.e. will it reduce your reputation with their home nation (or the whole world)?

On a side note does anyone know where I can get a good airfield graphic (don't have time to make one). The default modern one just looks wrong. The runaway seems to lead into a hanger!

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	x_airfields and detect.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	36413  
Old February 9, 2003, 10:16   #2
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 11:02
First, you take a minor reputation hit with the native civ only.

Second, I don't think that is a runway. I think that is the taxiway and as such it should run into the hangar. It think the runway is this.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	runways.gif
Views:	251
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	36421  
Old February 9, 2003, 11:02   #3
ivujosev
Settler

I know thats the runaway. But the buildings I circled are in the way at the end. When have you seen a plane take off or land from a runaway that has buildings at one end. ... Very dangerous, even if it is military.

Note the industrial one, the runaway goes to the left end of the tile (more or less)
Old February 9, 2003, 11:46   #4
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I would suggest copying over the industrial one and using it for both.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old February 9, 2003, 12:30   #5
WarpStorm
King

Okay, I see your point.
Old February 9, 2003, 12:36   #6
ivujosev
Settler

Yeah that was my thought as well Monk (with black tarmac perhaps), but I remember seeing a good graphic on a board somewhere but can't remember where.

WarpStorm the reputation hit regarding slave workers, is it a one off or as long as you have the slaves?
Old February 10, 2003, 07:04   #7
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I seem to remember relations improving dramatically after absorbing the twenty-odd captured roman workers into my cities in one game, and they were pretty sour as long as I had them working on my railroads.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old February 10, 2003, 13:56   #8
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 10:02
I believe that when you absorb a slave worker it becomes a citizen of the foreign country right?

I don't like the airfield graphic either, I think it's too cluttered and doesn't look good on the map.

I'm gonna try and do a graphic with only the runway, like in Civ2

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old February 10, 2003, 14:35   #9
ivujosev
Settler

In my current game i have mongol and japanese workers. (Japs have been eliminated) Everyone apart from the mongols is either gracious or polite towards me, but the mongols are still furious after a whole age (industrial) of peace and multiple unbroken treaties/ trades.

So my assumption is that its probably the workers that are making them furious. I was about to test that by giving them all back when the Russians who I was allied with declared war on the MOngols, so I got pulled in.
Old February 10, 2003, 15:10   #10
Captain_Dave
Chieftain

Local Time: 17:02
Any difference in upkeep costs between captured workers or workers you build yourself?
Old February 10, 2003, 17:00   #11
minke19104
Warlord

Captured workers = 0 Upkeep

Thats why I like it. They do work half as fast as your worker though. I've had games where i have less than 8 of my own workers and hordes of slaves (around 20-30) working my tiles.

So I guess when in Democracy, it's better to have slaves, since they dont cost nothing, while if you're on Monarchy/Communism, its better to have your own workers cos theyre faster. You usually end up having the ability to sustain a bigger army.

Ironically, democracy is a form of government where the 'citizens' supposedly have more freedom. :P