Old March 8, 2001, 01:02   #1
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 01:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The AI Drones aren't hopeless--TI questions
Here's something I've never seen before... I just completed my first TI game (I was randomized into the UoP... that almost always happens, why?), and who had a significant lead in the power ratings? None other than the Free Drones. They were even neck and neck with me in science; not only that, Domai was almost completely friendly from start to finish, despite my #2 rating at his heels. We were pacted from our first contact until I won a diplomatic victory.

Indeed, this was the first SMAC game I've played where there was a World War-esque conflict; Domai, Lal, Roze, Morgan, and I against the Cult and the Hive. This situation existed for nearly 100 turns, with only one minor spat between Morgan and Domai in the middle. Is this typical of TI games? And why is it that 50% of the time I choose a random faction, I get the University?

Guynemer

------------------
"My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
Old March 8, 2001, 03:16   #2
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 22:07
Local Date: October 30, 2010
In response to your question about UoP being favoured over other factions in random faction TI games; this has not been my experience. It seems pretty much random to me. Dark secret: I now restart the game if I get one of the aliens.

You did well to get such a good diplomatic result. Perhaps you got a bit lucky too. Sustaining a pact with the number two on the depth chart for the full game is always a nice bonus. I expect that this will not often be the case for you.

People have succeeded in the diplomatic challenge where you try to play the whole game without any AI faction ever being in vendetta with you, but it isn't easy. The time I almost made it, I was playing the One City Challenge and I was nowhere near the top in might.

Often things will be relatively peaceful up until around the time the AI discovers airpower. And they often get it at around a hundred years if you are playing on a regular-sized planet with tech stag off.
Old March 8, 2001, 05:10   #3
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 18:07
Actually playing a "pact/treaty with everyone challenge" is a good learning experience. I managed to win mantaining pacts with all until I got voted supreme, I'm sure I can run in even smaller circles around the AI diplomatically now. My second challenge - war mongers for neighbours was harder, never managed a pact with Lal but managed pacts with all the warmongers (Miriam and co). Usful experience for exactly WHEN AI's break treaties, and the EXTREME importance of reputation.

One interesting thing I learn't:

AI says "Give me this tech"
You say "Give me that tech in return"
AI says "Can't trust you... friendship is two way"

They almost never declare vendetta if you ask for something in return, regardless if they accept your deal or not. Saying NO outright is less favourable.

Basically keep your reptution completely spotless, accept demands, run neutral SE. Give the AI no excuse to declare vendetta - and remarkably they don't. Not even if your allied to there enemy - ofcourse ASAP ask them to call off the vendetta.
Old March 8, 2001, 05:35   #4
Horus
Warlord

Local Time: 05:07
It may be so that they seldom declare vendetta in the case stated above. But it happened to me recently in a MP game: the Cult did throw away the treaty he had with me and went into a fit - i.e. Vendetta - when I wanted a tech in return from him. I guess my democracy was the thing which ticked him of the first place.
Old March 8, 2001, 12:37   #5
D
Settler

Local Time: 05:07
I always so no to everything, I always have the comp is my enemy train of thought. If they want to make war with me that's fine, cause I usually plan on making war with everybody. The only time I say yes is when the are submiting to me. Other than not wanting to irratate the comp, is the commerce really worth it? I just love this "Then you should ask the U.N. to impose sactions. HA, HA, HA". Die comps.