View Poll Results: What to research next?
Stone Working (288) 1 5.26%
Ship Building (426) 0 0%
Jurisprudence (519) 10 52.63%
Slave Labour (616) 5 26.32%
Drama (708) 3 15.79%
Abstain 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 12, 2003, 17:40   #31
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 17:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The effect on science from building the Chichen Itza will be negligible, and not worth tying up a city for 40-odd turns. We should make sure we get the Ramayana first (if we choose to build a wonder soon), so we can keep the wages down in the future (before an AI that we cant attack gets it) and less wages = far more science than just reducing crime, or we can leave minimal garrison so we can keep rolling over AI cities one after another.

More happiness to play around with is always the best way, it means we can choose what we want to do, rather than being dictated by the happiness factor.
Old February 12, 2003, 17:53   #32
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 16:11
I like stones, how can we aspire to be civalised without stone-working??
You can throw them at people you don't like and you can build walls and things out of them. Plus they only take a short time(!) in comparison to the others. How can you develope or build any of the things that are being discussed here without the knowledge of stone? Chicken pizza out of sticks roads? temples? Monarchy without a stone dias to sit on, in a hut of sticks? You are all crazy
Stones.
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old February 12, 2003, 17:54   #33
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 18:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Maquiladora
The effect on science from building the Chichen Itza will be negligible, and not worth tying up a city for 40-odd turns. We should make sure we get the Ramayana first (if we choose to build a wonder soon), so we can keep the wages down in the future (before an AI that we cant attack gets it) and less wages = far more science than just reducing crime, or we can leave minimal garrison so we can keep rolling over AI cities one after another.

More happiness to play around with is always the best way, it means we can choose what we want to do, rather than being dictated by the happiness factor.
Yeah the Ramajana is more benefitful in the long term, there will be a time when we reach the cap and of course also the happiness gives us extra science, did you ever notice that if you reduce work day and increase food rations that you will be able to research things faster. The effect is there in GoodMod for ApolytonPack, but in Cradle it is more obvious. So there is a use for happy people.

-Martin
Old February 12, 2003, 17:56   #34
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Stop pointing out holes in the game's realism

I wanna be King of our Monarchy, in my... straw! castle.
Old February 12, 2003, 18:02   #35
child of Thor
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Maquiladora
Stop pointing out holes in the game's realism

I wanna be King of our Monarchy, in my... straw! castle.
I can picture it now......
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old February 12, 2003, 18:24   #36
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

We'll take Graz and found another city (or perhaps 2) within 40 turns... then can start on Ramajana.

The city sites that you are considering adding... are completely suboptimal. There are no city sites that I would want as productive centers that require us to offset distance penalties of -4.

That would be a distance of 20 squares, and there is no viable possibility of us settling at that distance, at this point.

When we reach Monarchy, the distance penalties are reduced, and soon we shall start taking in PW's and hence building roads.

Your arguements for our needing happiness bonuses are moot.

The only specific thing we'd need happiness bonuses for is exceeding the empire size cap, and i'll doubt we'll be able to viably do that without starting some more wars... which we certainly won't be in a position to do in the near future.
Old February 12, 2003, 18:29   #37
Maquiladora
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBaggins
The only specific thing we'd need happiness bonuses for is exceeding the empire size cap, and i'll doubt we'll be able to viably do that without starting some more wars... which we certainly won't be in a position to do in the near future.
We'll always need happiness bonuses, well maybe when we're in Technocracy and we own half the World it wont be so bad, but more happiness = more freedom with empire sliders.
Old February 12, 2003, 18:39   #38
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Doesn't help us now... our aim is to catch up, and then pass... and I have no doubt that we'll be able to outproduce the AI, to this and to Ramajana.

True but we are maxed as we speak, and won't be in Monarchy for another 60-80 turns, at this rate. We don't need it before then, and have time to build both. We should be able to build Chichen Itza and Ramajana before the AI. We may double up... using Pressburg to go for the second wonder later; it grows really quick and will get decent production from those hills.

The AI sucks at money management, and if we start on a fund then we should be in a beneficial situation; we'll get bonuses at about the 40 turn mark, and then ability to max the sliders at 60, given a rush... thats optimal for our situation.
Old February 12, 2003, 21:56   #39
HuangShang
King

Local Time: 09:11
drama will take too long, it should be a while till we go there
Old February 13, 2003, 13:24   #40
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBaggins
Doesn't help us now... our aim is to catch up, and then pass... and I have no doubt that we'll be able to outproduce the AI, to this and to Ramajana.

True but we are maxed as we speak, and won't be in Monarchy for another 60-80 turns, at this rate. We don't need it before then, and have time to build both. We should be able to build Chichen Itza and Ramajana before the AI. We may double up... using Pressburg to go for the second wonder later; it grows really quick and will get decent production from those hills.
Fisrt to have some freedom at the happiness level is always good, we maxed out the sliders and our last cities are below the happiness limit, so the Ramajana would raise them over the happiness limit. Then we have also in the future some benifits of the higher happiness level, pollution will come into and then the happiness decrease in the bigger cities, aslo because of the high population size. So the Ramajana is a very good investment for the future.

The other is that I don't expect that we will outproduce the AI in 40 turns and then the Ramajana is probably half finished by one of the AIs. That means if we want the Ramajana then we have to build it now, otherwise one of the AIs will build it. We don't have 60 turns to start to build the Ramajana we only have 60 turns to finish it.

-Martin
Old February 13, 2003, 13:32   #41
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 13:11
I would like you to explain every one of those advances advantages like IW did. A copy and paste from his thread would do the trick.

I go for jurisprudence
-Jean Rostand
Old February 13, 2003, 16:16   #42
Oerdin
Deity

Jurisprudence seems like the winner.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old February 14, 2003, 00:03   #43
HuangShang
King

what does the Ramajana require?
sorry i forgot,

when will it be likely that we get slavery?
Old February 14, 2003, 13:17   #44
Martin Gühmann
staff
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by HuangShang
what does the Ramajana require?
To build the Ramajana requires knowledge of Religion. As we have already Religion we can build the Ramajana and the Ramajana is the only wonder we can build now. (Savegame from 2760BC) And I think researching Jurisprudence will take also a while so that if we want a wonder that we now have the only option to build the Ramajana with the only possibility to switch later to another wonder, if we have the necessary advance then, if we can't research Jurisprudence in the next turns then we can't build the Chichen Itza as it would have been build by another AI then. Of course presuming we need 20 turns to reserach the next advance.

Here is the list of our cities and their building times of the Ramajana:

Pedrunn(ia): 39 turns
Colonia Lucuta: 47 turns
H Town: 38 turns
Mapfipolis: 72 turns
Pressburg: 90 turns

From the values now I would build to start the Ramajana now in Pedrunn(ia), because I think our capital is a little bit more save from a Austrian counter attack then H Town. H Town would be a little bit more save if we had Graz. But we don't and another thing to consider is that the values could change a little bit exspeceally when Pressburg and Mapfipolis grow.

-Martin
Old February 14, 2003, 17:59   #45
Tamerlin
King

I agree with you Martin but the problem is we have to wage a war and I fear we need to produce military units in all our cities in order to resist the Austrian counter offensive and have enough reinforcements for the Austrian campaign.
Old February 14, 2003, 21:35   #46
HuangShang
King

why arent we building it? we must find a city to build it!!!!!!!!!