Old November 21, 2000, 00:39   #31
MacUser
Prince

Local Time: 16:53
Local Date: October 30, 2010
quote:

Originally posted by kcbob on 11-20-2000 08:43 AM
Thank you, MacUser, for leaving the best for me to tout... Bryant's!

I am VERY ashamed to admit that I couldn't remember the name! I even glanced through the phone book and didn't see them (although I was late and really didn't look that hard). As punishment I vow to eat BBQ tomorrow for dinner!
Old November 21, 2000, 01:26   #32
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 17:53
. BBQ sauce is for amateurs. The best PIT BBQ uses a dry rub on water cured mea or liquid marinaded meat. The liquid in the meat eliminates the need for basting and sucks the dry spice rub into the meat.

------------------
Gauis Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
Pontificator Pendanticus
older richer & wiser than you
Old November 21, 2000, 01:41   #33
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 14:53

HELLO?

Does anyone know the status of this game?
Old November 21, 2000, 01:47   #34
kcbob
King

Which leaves you with a giant piece of beef jerky.

I would submit to you an article from the New Yorker magazine from a few years back which began...

"Not all the best restaurants in the world are in Kansas City. Only the top four or five."

It went on to label Bryant's as the best. So there!

------------------
Frodo lives!
[This message has been edited by kcbob (edited November 20, 2000).]
Old November 21, 2000, 08:15   #35
MacUser
Prince

(...realizes that he has participated in a thread-jacking...goes into hiding from Canadian Mounties... swears never to do it again and promises to eat double helpings of BBQ beans as punishment ... CAPTURED BY MOUNTIES AND TAKEN TO MC DONALDS TO EAT HAPPY MEALS WITHOUT GETTING THE TOY!!

Oh the inhumanity! Amnesty International alerted and Mounties extradite suspect to Court of Trolls..

------------------
"And now for something completely different..."
- John Cleese
Old November 21, 2000, 08:44   #36
kcbob
King

quote:

Originally posted by MacUser on 11-20-2000 11:39 PM
I am VERY ashamed to admit that I couldn't remember the name! I even glanced through the phone book and didn't see them (although I was late and really didn't look that hard). As punishment I vow to eat BBQ tomorrow for dinner!

LOL. Tch, tch, tch. Oh, well, a suitable punishment.

BTW, Smash, I just emailed and PMd Maud'Dib to check on the status.

BTW2, CornMaster has surfaced in the other game. I'll try to get that all straightened out.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old November 21, 2000, 14:28   #37
kcbob
King

I emailed Maud'Dib earlier today. Haven't heard from him as of yet.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old November 21, 2000, 21:00   #38
Smash
Emperor

I hope I cc'd it to you if Muad'Dib is listed as MIA.I kept in the trash(along with several other vital things) and along the line of "can someone loan me a gun?" my girlfriend decided to empty it.First thing she has done on this particular comp in months
Old November 21, 2000, 23:04   #39
MacUser
Prince

quote:

Originally posted by Smash on 11-21-2000 08:00 PM
I hope I cc'd it to you if Muad'Dib is listed as MIA.I kept in the trash(along with several other vital things) and along the line of "can someone loan me a gun?" my girlfriend decided to empty it.First thing she has done on this particular comp in months

Hmmm... here I thought that you needed children for such help! True to my word, I brought home Bryant's BBQ...I'll move this to OT! Also, I'll start a thread about the Giga-Map in the Mac Forum.

------------------
"And now for something completely different..."
- John Cleese
Old November 22, 2000, 01:59   #40
Julius Brenzaida
King

Local Time: 22:53
Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
quote:

Originally posted by kcbob on 11-15-2000 08:05 AM
Romanche! Swiss! That's what I meant.

That was interesting Julius. But now, the real question. Do you have any barbeque joints in Switzerland?

Sorry I didn’t answer sooner that important question. Yes, we have barbecues in Switzerland. But for most people (including me), it’s not seen as something as important as it would be, hmmm let’s say, in Kansas
But while you were having this conversation on restaurants, I wonder what has happened to the sucession game. It’s all stuck to one player since I don’t know when.

------------------
Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
Old November 22, 2000, 11:20   #41
kcbob
King

quote:

Originally posted by Smash on 11-21-2000 08:00 PM

To quote Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally, "Yes! Yes! Yes!" I have it!

I think I emailed Maud'Dib but I haven't heard back from him. I'll send another one in a minute and be back to post with a suggested plan of attack.

BTW. Condolences on the untimely demise of your trash bin (and girlfriend).

------------------
Frodo lives!
[This message has been edited by kcbob (edited November 22, 2000).]
[This message has been edited by kcbob (edited November 22, 2000).]
Old November 22, 2000, 11:31   #42
kcbob
King

Okay, here's the deal.

I've emailed and PMd Maud'Dib. If I don't hear from him by noon tomorrow, November 23, I'll pick up the game from Smash and then pass it on to Julius. When Maud'Dib does finally resurface, we'll plug him in as soon as we can. Agreed?

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old November 22, 2000, 12:53   #43
Julius Brenzaida
King

quote:

Originally posted by kcbob on 11-22-2000 10:31 AM
Okay, here's the deal.

I've emailed and PMd Maud'Dib. If I don't hear from him by noon tomorrow, November 23, I'll pick up the game from Smash and then pass it on to Julius. When Maud'Dib does finally resurface, we'll plug him in as soon as we can. Agreed?

Agreed !
The french pretend that "la patience est la mère des vertues", but who could believe the french !
It is time to play on !

------------------
Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
Old November 23, 2000, 11:53   #44
Muad'Dib
Settler

Sorry guys, but work comes first. I was in the middle of my GIGA map turn when my turn here came up and then problems at work needed my undivided attention.

Please, in the future, NO MORE ZIP FILES, they're a BIG pain in the ass for me to open or to extract. Just attach the save file as it appears in your directory to your e-mail.

------------------
"And his word shall carry
death eternal to those who
stand against righteousness."
Old November 24, 2000, 01:25   #45
kcbob
King

Hey, Maud'Dib, long time no see.

Of course, you're right. Work does come first. I think we all would have been a little less concerned if we had an update from you. Truly, I was a little worried that everything was okay.

Anyway, since you have popped back up, no problem. To quote one of my favorite singing groups, "Carry On, My Wayward Son".

Any estimated time of completion?

BTW, the group was, naturally, Kansas.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old November 24, 2000, 12:40   #46
kcbob
King

This is a duplicate (sort of) of my last post in the Gigamap thread.

Hey, Maud'Dib, glad to hear the job's going well.

I went back over this thread and I can't see where you've been skipped. Do you have Smash's file? If so, just crank that baby up. There've only been two turns so far in the first round. (Does this terminology make sense?)

Soooo, have at it. Unless you no longer have the file. Let us know tout'de suite! (Is my spelling correct on that one, Julius?)

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old November 24, 2000, 17:53   #47
Smash
Emperor

What kind of .zip problem?Uncompressed files as large as a civ2 save will almost always get corrupted.
Old November 25, 2000, 06:17   #48
Julius Brenzaida
King

quote:

Originally posted by kcbob on 11-24-2000 11:40 AM
Let us know tout'de suite! (Is my spelling correct on that one, Julius?)

Presque Kcbob ! It’s “tout de suite”

------------------
Old November 25, 2000, 06:20   #49
Julius Brenzaida
King

quote:

Originally posted by kcbob on 11-24-2000 11:40 AM
This is a duplicate (sort of) of my last post in the Gigamap thread.

For me too. Nice idea Kcbob. Do you think Scouse Gits has something to say against it ?

------------------
Old November 25, 2000, 12:48   #50
kcbob
King

quote:

Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida on 11-25-2000 05:20 AM
For me too. Nice idea Kcbob. Do you think Scouse Gits has something to say against it ?

I don't think he's got anything to say against it. I think what I might do is give a few more hours today and if we don't hear from Maud'Dib by early this evening, I'll go forward with the Gigamap game. I'll leave this one for Dib. That way, we'll all have something in the works.

And as you saw in the Gigamap thread, my "tout de suite" is pushing the envelope regarding my French.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old November 25, 2000, 17:12   #51
Julius Brenzaida
King

quote:

Originally posted by kcbob on 11-25-2000 11:48 AM
I don't think he's got anything to say against it. And as you saw in the Gigamap thread, my "tout de suite" is pushing the envelope regarding my French.

Kcbob, I was not talking about your excellent handling of the situation, but I was thinking of my double post which was “scorned” by Scouse Gits. Looks you’ve found another clever way.
I like your use of french and of american expressions. But what does “pushing the envelope “ means ?

------------------
Old November 25, 2000, 20:58   #52
kcbob
King

quote:

Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida on 11-25-2000 04:12 PM
Kcbob, I was not talking about your excellent handling of the situation, but I was thinking of my double post which was “scorned” by Scouse Gits. Looks you’ve found another clever way.
I like your use of french and of american expressions. But what does “pushing the envelope “ means ?

Well, I certainly hope my use of "pushing the envelope" wasn't a case of mixed metaphors. I'm not sure of the origin. The intent is to show that I'm at the extreme edge of my expertise, such as it may be.

I'm going to check the Gigamap thread now. If Maud'Dib hasn't responded, I'll proceed with that game and leave this one for him for the next few days.

Maybe he OD'd on turkey.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old November 26, 2000, 15:43   #53
Julius Brenzaida
King

quote:

Originally posted by kcbob on 11-25-2000 07:58 PM
Well, I certainly hope my use of "pushing the envelope" wasn't a case of mixed metaphors. I'm not sure of the origin. The intent is to show that I'm at the extreme edge of my expertise, such as it may be.
I'm going to check the Gigamap thread now. If Maud'Dib hasn't responded, I'll proceed with that game and leave this one for him for the next few days.
Maybe he OD'd on turkey.

The exteme edge of your expertise ! how would someone translate that in french ?
“Les limites de mes possibilités”, je ne vois pas de métaphore correspondante !
I repost here what I said in the gigamap sg (sucession game that is). Let us all go ahead ! Those who cannot follow shall rejoin later. 15 to 20 turns, it is not “la mer à boire” !
No offense intended, as the matter is of almost no importance, but I don’t think Maud’Dib (is it from Dune, I don’t remember ?) acted in the most correct way. If he has no time to play, nobody’s going to blame him, but he should tell us that he is too busy and tell us when he can resume playing. Then, we decide if he skips one turn or not. Time is not always revelant but I wish I could finish those two sucession games before I die.

------------------
Old November 27, 2000, 08:48   #54
kcbob
King

quote:

Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida on 11-26-2000 02:43 PM
The exteme edge of your expertise ! how would someone translate that in french ?
“Les limites de mes possibilités”, je ne vois pas de métaphore correspondante !
I repost here what I said in the gigamap sg (sucession game that is). Let us all go ahead ! Those who cannot follow shall rejoin later. 15 to 20 turns, it is not “la mer à boire” !
No offense intended, as the matter is of almost no importance, but I don’t think Maud’Dib (is it from Dune, I don’t remember ?) acted in the most correct way. If he has no time to play, nobody’s going to blame him, but he should tell us that he is too busy and tell us when he can resume playing. Then, we decide if he skips one turn or not. Time is not always revelant but I wish I could finish those two sucession games before I die.

Never fear. The gigamap game is moving forward again. I'm trying to put myself in Maud'Dib's shoes. I can understand his slowness in playing if he has a wife like I do. I have to fight tooth and nail to get playing time. Not that she's trying to get on the computer. Au contraire. She's trying to keep me off.

As for "pushing the envelope", the explanation was not meant to be a literal translation. I asked a guy who sits beside me at work if he'd heard of it and the origin and here is his explanation.

Years ago, aerospace engineers would sometimes do their calculations anywhere they could find writing space, e.g., on the backs of envelopes. When the limits of the capabilities of the hardware they were designing had been reached and consequently exceeded, they called it "pushing the envelope".

Any buyers?

And yes, Maud'Dib is from Dune.

------------------
Frodo lives!
[This message has been edited by kcbob (edited November 27, 2000).]
Old November 27, 2000, 09:21   #55
kcbob
King

Just to keep everyone updated, if we don't hear from Maud'Dib by tonight, I'll proceed with this game, too, and send it on.

Come on, Dibber, speak to me!!!

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old November 28, 2000, 00:33   #56
kcbob
King

I just finished my turn and emailed it to Julius. As usual, the prose will follow tomorrow. Much different playing as one of the early contestants.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old November 28, 2000, 14:00   #57
kcbob
King

The world was young, a veritable garden, most bountiful indeed! Pheasants, silkworms, and whales were abundant. We were living in peace and harmony, a steady income of shekels. Our seers (never underestimate the value of seers, my friend) rightly divined that the world was inhabited by other civilizations, hereafter known as the Russians, the Babylonians, the Germans, the Carthaginians, and the Americans. (There was some question about the Americans, divining, and dimples but that's another story. )

The people considered many things and after much thought and prayer, our fishermen in the City of Only Three were asked to work in the wheat fields, our fishermen in Sherwood asked to tend to the silk worms. All this was done to improve production, and the people were glad. Our intrepid navy, the trireme Titanic, set sail from West Point, located in the eastern portion of the empire. (Go figure)
Horsemen, exploring the unknown, came upon a hut beckoning to them to enter. While pondering the wisdom of this, the Titanic espied from afar another hut, sadly just out of reach.

A mighty warrior was trained in Sherwood and the silk farmers nee fishermen were moved to the pheasant country to the north to become game wardens. Our archer, Robin of Lox Lee, was ordered back to Port au Prince and, while on the way, uncovered new whaling grounds near to shore.

And then, glory of glories, a Code of Laws was finally agreed upon by our people. Having achieved this monumentous decision, it was decided to begin looking into the possibility of choosing one ruler, a king, a Monarch, to rule over us. At the same time, our patient horsemen to the north threw back the curtain over the door of the hut by which he had been camped and, lo, 50 gold shekels lay at his feet!

Further exploring uncovered new lands to be inhabited at some time in our glorious future. Robin of Lox Lee boarded the Titanic and set sail for the distant shore upon which the newly discovered hut lay waiting.
Upon arriving there, Robin bravely peered into the hut and to his surprise, a wandering nomad stood and begged asylum. Given approval, he immediately founded Distant Shore in the midst of two whaling grounds.

With glad hearts the people of Distant Shore bid Robin of Lox Lee farewell. He boarded the Titanic, set sail, and… voila!!! Yet another thatched roof structure. With a great sense of foreboding, Robin bravely set foot off of the Titanic, into the mysterious hut, and… voila un autre fois!!! Monarchy!!!!! The gods be praised!!! May the name of Robin of Lox Lee be remembered forever in the annals of our glorious empire!!!

And then, just as the kingdom approved its new form of government, just as the kingdom was ready to name its new monarch… tragedy struck. Some say it was Robin of Lox Lee, jealous of kcbob's soon to be obtained title, who performed the dastardly deed. To this day, no one knows. All that is known is that kcbob disappeared, his whereabouts to this day a mystery. In his absence, in his memory, the kingdom moved forward naming its first king. The king is dead! Long live the King. May he live forever! And his name shall be called…

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old November 28, 2000, 14:16   #58
Daddy-O
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesC3CDG Team BabylonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Team Banana
Emperor

Local Time: 17:53
I know I am not playing this game, but very nice history. I love reading these.

------------------
'I want to be hand counted and checked for dimples.'
[This message has been edited by skrobism (edited November 28, 2000).]
Old November 28, 2000, 14:54   #59
kcbob
King

Thank you, skrobism.

Actually, writing the "history" is half the fun.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old November 28, 2000, 17:05   #60
Smash
Emperor

LOL..I was just thinkin why I named an eastern city West Point??

Nice results from huts!That must have saved oodles of turns to monarchy