Old December 11, 2000, 09:19   #91
kcbob
King

Local Time: 16:53
Local Date: October 30, 2010
In the annals of history, the period from 200 AD to 500 AD will forever be remembered as "Pax Azteca".

The land was bountiful and the people prospered. Road were built, fields were irrigated, the land was at peace. No wars were fought for three centuries and the people were joyous. A great observatory, named after our leading scientist of the day, Copernicus, was built in Perfection City.

Our navy continued to explore strange lands and as a result, an advanced tribe was discovered. They begged sanctuary under our flag and it was granted. The empire moves on!

What will the future bring? Who can say? One thing is certain. We will be under capable leadership as Julius XXXVIII-XIX takes the throne. (Geneologists are still puzzling over the hyphen in his name.)

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old December 14, 2000, 08:45   #92
Julius Brenzaida
King

Local Time: 22:53
Location: Currently cleaning the 9000 rooms of Sticky Mouse's Palace
quote:

Originally posted by kcbob on 12-11-2000 08:06 AM
Man, bummer about your PC. Hope it gets resolved quickly and completely.
As for the number of moves, I thought the drop to 10 moves wasn't until around 1500 AD. As it was, my first 10 were so uneventful that another 5 didn't seem too unreasonable. I'd say, plan on 15 unless you really start to rock and roll, i.e., build a couple of wonders, wipe out an AI civ, and start building the spaceship.

For my computer, all is going well. Man, it feels good to format it all sometimes. I will play my 10 or 15 turns this week-end. See you in Alpha Centauri in 15 years !

------------------
Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
Old December 14, 2000, 08:57   #93
kcbob
King

quote:

Originally posted by Julius Brenzaida on 12-14-2000 07:45 AMSee you in Alpha Centauri in 15 years !

LOL!

Man, you are good!

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old December 14, 2000, 15:07   #94
Julius Brenzaida
King

quote:

Originally posted by kcbob on 12-14-2000 07:57 AM
LOL!
Man, you are good!

Yes, but more with words than I am with deeds !

------------------
Oh Man, when will you understand that your greatness lies in your failure - Goethe
Old December 17, 2000, 05:12   #95
Julius Brenzaida
King

Turns played. Up to 760 AD.
I have sent the game to Muab'Dib.
I don't like the geography of this one.
Carthaginians and Russians will be tough to beat.

------------------
Old December 17, 2000, 05:18   #96
Julius Brenzaida
King

500 AD after one of those illogical power struggle the Aztecs seems to well acquainted with, the Brenzaida family recaptures the kingdom. The first act of the new king is to declare that death should be the punishment of anybody who would call him “Julius Jr”. And he adds, that at the end of the 20th century, everybody will understand. The Brenzaida family has a long history of foretelling the future. But unfortunately, it lacks the power to change it.
15 cities, 980’000 citizen and 22 gold. The kingdom is healthy but not ready to compete for the Olympics. “We shall expand and stenghten ourselves at the same time”, says Julius.
520 AD. The first bold moves pays off. A bold Port-au-Prince’s trireme sails unto the unknown and does not sink because it immediately discovers a new continent. This whole vaste world shall soon be ours. Caravans begin to stockpile near perfection in wait for the next Wonder to be build.
560 AD. The population goes over 1 million people. A barbarian trireme threatens Tula and the legendary warrior of the ancients time, Robin the Archer is called to defend the city (there was no money to buy a more effective weapons, unbeliever pretended).
580 AD Barbarians debarks. 2 Legions and 1 diplo. Reed-blooded Robin destroys 1 legion and the diplomat (hem hem) in 1st attack and becomes veteran. He begins to be called Terminator because of the finesse of his art of war.
600 AD. Navigation is discovered. Aztecs scientists now head for Physics. As a wise diplomat, King Julius has noticed others have already banking and it shall be exchanged when needed, not researched. A massive ship building program begins. “We shall rules the sea, because whoever masters the sea, shall master the land, or something like that”.
620 AD. Robin the Young kills the 2nd Legion who had unfortunately the time to kill a brave but not well trained phalanx. Barbarian thread is eliminated.
700 AD. The exploration goes on. An elephant steps into a trap set by 8 horsemen in a hut. He kills one, but his chances of survival are slim. The whole nation holds its breath.
720 AD. The elephant is killed by the 1st attacker. Vast diplomatic offensive. Philosophy is acquired in an exchange with the Carthaginians; banking from the Russians. Other nations are already too fearful of the growing Aztec power and King Julius does not try to negociate with them. Diplomatic incident with the Americans who refuse to pay tribute and go back to war against us.
740 AD. 1st caravel produced in Tlacopan. King Julius decided to christen the ship himself and heads to the far away island.
760 AD. Physics is discovered. The next one shall be the beloved monotheism. Bad news spreads across the land. Other nations have begun Magellan, Sun Tzu and Shakespeare. The city of Bahia Blanca is founded in a very favorable site. The same year, a new advanced tribe is discovered in a distant continent : Surprisenda. Spririts are once again high in the kingdom. But that’s when destiny decided to struck. An American terrorist murdered king Julius as he was visiting the port of Tlacopan to avenge his justified treatment of the ugly American nation. The Aztecs weep the abrupt end of their beloved king and everywhere people began to demand : “Give us Magellan so that we shall sail to spread the American blood all across their homeland”. Pax Azteca was by then a long forgotten word.
Old December 18, 2000, 08:45   #97
kcbob
King

Bravo, Julius! Great job, great narrative!

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old December 19, 2000, 11:52   #98
Julius Brenzaida
King

quote:

Originally posted by kcbob on 12-18-2000 07:45 AM
Bravo, Julius! Great job, great narrative!

Thanks. As I already told you, I'm better with words than with deeds. I'm not sure I did improved the kingdom too much. And Kcbob, your narratives are great too.

Has Muad'Dib received my mail and the attached file ?

------------------
Old December 21, 2000, 15:13   #99
kcbob
King

*bump*

Sorry, folks. That's all this was.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old December 21, 2000, 17:00   #100
Julius Brenzaida
King

quote:

Originally posted by kcbob on 12-21-2000 02:13 PM
*bump*

The road to Deity is a long one indeed.

------------------
Old December 21, 2000, 17:01   #101
Julius Brenzaida
King

quote:

Originally posted by kcbob on 12-21-2000 02:13 PM
*bump*

The road to Deity is a long one indeed.

------------------
Old December 22, 2000, 08:33   #102
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

You two at it again - take care the eyes of the 'Mercyless' are everywhere

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
"The Great Library must be built!"
"A short cut has to be challenging,
were it not so it would be 'the way'."
- Paul Craven
Old December 22, 2000, 15:11   #103
Julius Brenzaida
King

quote:

Originally posted by kcbob on 12-22-2000 12:01 PM
As near as I can tell, it's been decided in one of the other succession games to bypass Maud'Dib. While he hasn't been "in the barrel" as long in this game, I wonder if we might not want to forge ahead and let him jump back in later.
With that in mind, I think Scouse Gits would be up on Julius' completed turn. Do you have that game, SG? And, BTW, in the other game in which Maud'Dib was bypassed, Julius is up next. (Heads up, Julius)
Does this sound reasonable?

To me, it looks reasonnable. My holidays are starting right now ! I shall take a few days off in the mountains between the 26th and the 29th but otherwise, I'm fully ready to play civ until the 8th of January !
Maybe that I will even find time to finish my maxiworld map (143x229) !

------------------
Old December 23, 2000, 01:01   #104
kcbob
King

As near as I can tell, it's been decided in one of the other succession games to bypass Maud'Dib. While he hasn't been "in the barrel" as long in this game, I wonder if we might not want to forge ahead and let him jump back in later.

With that in mind, I think Scouse Gits would be up on Julius' completed turn. Do you have that game, SG? And, BTW, in the other game in which Maud'Dib was bypassed, Julius is up next. (Heads up, Julius)

Does this sound reasonable?

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old December 26, 2000, 08:58   #105
Julius Brenzaida
King

quote:

Originally posted by Scouse Gits on 12-22-2000 07:33 AM
You two at it again - take care the eyes of the 'Mercyless' are everywhere

You can't tell me anything, because now I'm a Prince !

------------------
Old December 26, 2000, 09:01   #106
Julius Brenzaida
King

Scouse Gits, game sent to you.
Chairman Kcbob, copy for you.

------------------
Old December 26, 2000, 09:05   #107
kcbob
King

Why thank you, Julius. You're a real prince.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old December 27, 2000, 17:00   #108
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

In receipt - will play this w/e

[childish voice]

Julius, "Oh yes I can 'cos I'm a King - so there!!!"

[/childish voice]

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
"The Great Library must be built!"
"A short cut has to be challenging,
were it not so it would be 'the way'."
- Paul Craven
Old January 5, 2001, 09:26   #109
kcbob
King

* bump *

I think we've also learned that the holiday season is not conducive to playing a succession game.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old January 5, 2001, 17:46   #110
Scouse Gits
lifer
Emperor

OK we're on the case - will post before midnight GMT...
Old January 6, 2001, 21:00   #111
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 14:53
Finished my turns and then some.I went 20 turns for no apparent reason.It just flew by.Thats either 5 or 10 too many.It'll have to do.I only have 1 save.

State of the Union

Our civ was showing warning signs of trouble ahead.We were fast becoming a nation of Elvi'.Our population was low and unhappy.Our science was ok at squeezing 7 turns but would not last.Embassys revealed we were about to fall behind.Financially we were near collapse.Treasury was at 33 gold and only 1 gold net income

Remedy
It was noted that we were in possesion of Monotheism.It was decided that happiness and government reform would be the only priorities.
For this taxes were increased to max and scientists were replaced by tax collectors.Part 2 saw heavy incremental rushbuying.This resulted in Mich's Chapel being built followed by an oedo year switch to Republic.Celebrating commenced but with limited success.I guess the riot factor was the problem as not even the capitol would celebrate past 7 despite a market,bank,3 trade routes and Mich's Chapel.No units away either.Not even at 80% luxuries

After this "short term loss for long term gain" program,science was resumed.This, with huts and exchanges brought the empire Theology,Feudalism,Medicine,University,Gravity,Eng ineering,Invention and Magnetism.The latter found in a hut(before Invention) killing our Lighthouse.We are currently researching Gunpowder.

During this period incremental rushing continued and resulted in JSB and Leo's Workshop being added to our nation.Sir Isaac's should be ours also as long as it kept a top priority.Other nations have just begun construction of it.

Several new colonies were founded and are expected to flourish.Unfortunately the outpost of Zit fell into Barbarian hands.

Our Republic is still 4th in population but we are running 5 or 6 turns for tech.Or 300+ gold per turn.At this point no luxuries are required and I hope the "we love" problem can be over come soon.

We ended the session just taking over top spot on the powergraph.
Old January 7, 2001, 11:43   #112
kcbob
King

Smash, if I make the roster out correctly, I think you would send this to me next. If you have, you must have sent it to my work email. If I'm truly the next one in the barrel, send it to kcbob49@hotmail.com. That's my playing email address.

Thanks.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old January 7, 2001, 17:41   #113
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 14:53
Yes thats what I did.Just sent another one to the above.
Old January 8, 2001, 09:22   #114
kcbob
King

Got it. Thanks. I'll get on it tonight, y'all.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old January 8, 2001, 22:33   #115
kcbob
King

Finished my turn and am forwarding to Julius. Narrative to follow tomorrow. In a nutshell, we built Sir Isaac's, are researching Railroad, and continue to expand.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old January 9, 2001, 05:30   #116
Julius Brenzaida
King

Game received. I’m gonna try to play it this evening or tomorrow morning. Otherwise, it’ll have to wait until Saturday.

------------------
Old January 9, 2001, 10:25   #117
kcbob
King

In the year 1420 AD, our nation was at peace with the world. Perfection City was the envy of the world! Every city in our empire was at peace. And then… kcbob XIV rose to power.

In 1440, it was learned that every other power in the world knew the secret of Bridge Building. Not to be outdone, we traded with Carthage, obtaining both Bridge Building and Chemistry. While this cost us a delay of one additional turn in our own research, the gain from two advancements and the upgrading of our caravels to galleons was deemed worth the delay. In the west, to offset the threat posed by the barbarian city of Zit, Oxy-5 was founded.

In 1460, after much debate by our leaders, it was decided to send a galleon laden with goods to Moscow, a strange city located at the far corner of the world. The anticipated wealth to be obtained from this endeavor will hopefully swell the empire's coffers.

In 1480, Carthage built King Richard's Crusade, the fools! Let them waste their energy on a transient, local wonder. We shall show them!!! (It was during this time that kcbob XIV began to undergo psychotherapy) Also this year, a diplomat set sail for Germany, hoping to bribe one of their few cities.

In 1500, the city of Shawnee Mission was founded.

The year 1510 brought a great step forward in our empire's history. Gunpowder was discovered! Let the enemies of the empire attack us now!! We will crush them!!! Ha ha ha!!! (More psychotherapy) Steam Engine was selected as the next research topic.

Our infiltrators let it be know that in the year 1520, the Carthaginians were on the verge of completing Sir Isaac's College. Therefore, everyone's attention in the empire was turned to completing this wonder in Perfection City. Praise be to our ancestors for their foresight in providing caravans for this purpose!!!

As a result, in 1530, Sir Isaac's was completed in Perfection City!!! A new university was begun to further increase the knowledge pouring out of that great metropolis. But, alas, the Carthaginians completed Adam Smith's, much to the chagrin of kcbob XIV.

In 1540, a nomad was found wandering in the north. He begged asylum and it was granted with the understanding that he would found a city nearby.

1550 saw more psychotherapy for kcbob XIV, sadly without the desired results.

For in 1560, after the secret of the Steam Engine was discovered, after the advisors counseled for research concerning a Great Iron Horse (i.e., Railroad) with the purpose of undertaking a great voyage under the leadership of one Charles Darwin, after the city of Seven Hills was founded, after Perfection City South almost came to fruition near Cempola, kcbob XIV made his last decision as regent of the empire. With a diplomat from Oxy-5, the city of Zit was popped, bribed if you will, and the barbarian threat ended in the south.

kcbob XIV, seeing his time to rule had run its course, walked out of the palace one beautiful spring day, ostensibly to pick some fresh flowers for his new bride, and was never seen again.

------------------
Frodo lives!
Old January 10, 2001, 08:25   #118
Julius Brenzaida
King

11 turns played. This game is just great. It was tough not to get carried away as Smash did. History follows. Game sent to Scouse Gits (I suppose Muab Dib is definitively out of it now).

------------------
Old January 10, 2001, 08:35   #119
Julius Brenzaida
King

1570 AD. KJ4 is elected president. He decides on a new plan called STEp forward (Science, Trade, Expansion). Universities and marketplaces are to be build, trade has to be made with foreign and distant countries and new cities are to be found. Only time will answer the deadly question : “can he do it all ?”. Fishermen Town and Iqaluit are founded. German Cities reveal themselves much too expensive for diplomatic offensive. Production of Ironclads begins, to rule the sea, too.
1580 AD. 1st problem Barbarians crusaders against cities of Teayo and Coyotepec. They seem impossible to defend. May the brave musketeers prove us wrong !
1600 AD. Diplomats debark on the southern edge of German continent on a suicide mission. Musketeers defeat Barbarians crusaders ! 150 pieces of gold in the adventure. In the following years, huts yield more gold.
1610 AD. City of Sylvanissima is founded. Discovery of Railroads. Industrialization is next.
1630 AD. Advanced city of Itzapalapa discovered (size 4) in new continent. As it is badly located, KJ4 plans to disband it. A perfect site is near ! Finally diplomats gets to an island south of the hated Germans in search of advanced tribes.
1640 AD. 1st ironclad is launched. It immediately heads toward foreign shores, with “peaceful intentions”.
1650 AD. Industrialization is discovered. Democracy is next. Sigundsfjordur is founded.
1680 AD. KJ4 suddenly fell sick and immediately understood his end was near. He’d spent so much energy everywhere that living long was not an option for him. On his deathbed, he declared : “This word is so rich 70x7 lives would not suffice to admire it all. May I see the whole scene from the other side”. And he died with a smile on his face as broad as a giga continent.
Old January 16, 2001, 14:05   #120
kcbob
King

* bump *

Scouse Gits
Smash
kcbob
Julius
Maud'Dib

AFAIK, Maud'Dib is still MIA. Julius, did you send your completed game to Scouse Gits?

------------------
Frodo lives!