Old February 11, 2003, 21:31   #1
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 12:11
Local Date: November 1, 2010
The Future of the C3DG
What comes after the game is won? Another game? Same constitution? Same government? Same everything, but we start over?

Discuss.
Old February 11, 2003, 21:37   #2
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 10:11
I want to play the PTW version so we can have 23 AI civs.
Old February 11, 2003, 21:46   #3
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 11:11
Good question...

I don't know if I prefer for everyone to just play in the inter-site game, everyone just pour their extra energy into the inter-team game, or we do another SPDG with the same constitution from gamestart to see how it works and with the PTW civilizations and rules.

Dunno... perhaps we should have a poll at some point once the options are more ironed out.
Old February 11, 2003, 21:57   #4
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta

I can assure you that I won't be able to do anything with it anymore.

Is it a good idea to start another C3 DG? Would it suck too much effort out of the IDG? Starting over can be a fairly large task, and the most active DG people at Apolyton usually either devote most of their time to one DG or the other. It might hurt our chance at international victory.
Old February 11, 2003, 22:02   #5
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

While there are many similiarities they are two different games, if you look at previous versions the Intersite Demo Game and the Demo Game usually have different forums.

The Demo Game will advance much faster than the Intersite Demo Game as you won't have to wait on as many teams before playing the next turn.
Old February 11, 2003, 22:12   #6
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

It's also true that a new single-player Demogame doesn't have the security needs that an inter-site or inter-team MP game does...

So ANYONE can be accepted as a member and we can continue to advertise using NewZupdateZ

Thus the SPDG can serve as a means of recruitment for new blood into the Apolyton DG system of games... which in turn might get us a few new people over time to replace any we lose on the inter-site team.

Of course, we'll have to be very careful with security and only accept people into the inter-site game that we're reasonably sure are loyal to Apolyton (though you can't ever be sure).

Just an idea...
Old February 11, 2003, 22:15   #7
Jon Shafer

Yes, I was just thinking that.

The C3DG has been a good way to find new blood. After all, I've just recently met a lot of the C3DG veterans though the PTW DG and IDG.
Old February 11, 2003, 22:19   #8
Panzer32
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC4DG VoxInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshinePtWDG2 Monty PythonPtWDG2 MonkeyPtWDG2 Latin LoversPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG2 TabemonoPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Glory of War
Emperor

I would support disbanding this demogame, except for one crucial element: people cannot join the PTW DGs right away.

Let me explain:

The reason I found this game is originally because I saw an newZupdate on Apolyton, and was curious. I only came to Apolyton occasionally, and was thus not registered. I registered, and joined the demogame. This would have not been possible, if there wasn't an open forum for me to see what a demogame was all about. If there was someone like me out there, and they wanted to join the closed demogames, they would not be trusted because they might be DLs. If we do not have an open democracy game, I fear no one new will be able to participate in the joys of the democracy game.

edit: cross post with Arnelos and Trip - they made this same point too.
Proud Member of the ISDG Apolyton Team; Member #2 in the Apolyton Yact Club.
King of Trafalgar and Lord of all Isolationia in the Civ III PTW Glory of War team.
---------
May God Bless.
Old February 11, 2003, 22:26   #9
Arnelos
Emperor

Glad we're all on the same page
Old February 11, 2003, 22:28   #10
Jon Shafer

We haven't had enough replies yet, still on page 1.
Old February 11, 2003, 22:43   #11
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Deity

Think about this:

C3DG members = 197
IDG members = 62
Old February 11, 2003, 22:45   #12
Jon Shafer

About 100 of them just appeared all of the sudden from a cloud of mist.

Besides, how many are active?

We're sure at least 95% of the IDG members are active.
Old February 11, 2003, 23:15   #13
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I'm sure that at least 10 or 12 people will want to continue with the SP DG. It's up to them what they do and how they do it, isn't it?
Old February 11, 2003, 23:26   #14
Jon Shafer

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
I'm sure that at least 10 or 12 people will want to continue with the SP DG. It's up to them what they do and how they do it, isn't it?
I guess it is.
Old February 11, 2003, 23:42   #15
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Good reasons to continue with a second C3DG.

Only problem is, who's going to play it? I'll definitely be in and vote if another one is run, but I won't take much part in it; I want to either devote more to the PTW DGs, or finally get around to checking out the AC Demogame.

Of course, my early Civ3 game leaves a lot to be desired anyway... but my point is, is anyone willing to take charge in a second C3DG, and be an Exec? Or a minister?
Old February 12, 2003, 00:05   #16
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 13:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Panzer32

I would support disbanding this demogame, except for one crucial element: people cannot join the PTW DGs right away.

The Demo Game is our portal.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kloreep
Good reasons to continue with a second C3DG.

Only problem is, who's going to play it?

I will. But a PTW game, of course... When you have to move 30 workers in the C3DG, you certainly remember the new features in PTW, like to move stacks of units with 2 clicks...
Old February 12, 2003, 00:57   #17
E_T
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

/me would like to see a 23 civ game

What Civ will we want to play. Shall we keep the Banana in office??

E_T
Old February 12, 2003, 02:31   #18
Torkkeli
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

Local Time: 18:11
Quote:
Originally posted by Aro
I will. But a PTW game, of course... When you have to move 30 workers in the C3DG, you certainly remember the new features in PTW, like to move stacks of units with 2 clicks...
Umm... Can't you do that in 1.29f also? (j + click)

Btw, I might be interested in another SPDG as for one, I dont have nor will ever have PTW and two, IMO SPDG moves along much faster.

Maybe I'll even participate more...
Old February 12, 2003, 03:37   #19
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Torkkeli

Umm... Can't you do that in 1.29f also? (j + click)
This is new to me! Thanks, Torkkeli.
Old February 12, 2003, 03:58   #20
Torkkeli
Warlord

Aro, have you downloaded this:

Civ3 Reference File -- with the real unit/terrain/improvement/etc data

http://apolyton.net/dir/index.php?si...b_pages&cat=48

from the directory.

It has a lot of useful commands and info.

Last edited by Torkkeli; February 12, 2003 at 09:34.
Old February 12, 2003, 08:18   #21
BigFurryMonster
PtWDG2 SunshineC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Team BabylonInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 17:11
Interesting... when I click that link, I'm logged in as Torkkeli.
Old February 12, 2003, 08:36   #22
Aidun
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4BtSDG TemplarsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

If I be elected now and my head isn't cut off after term 9, I'm willing to participate in a next game too, This is just too good to stop with. Argument for the recruitment is a good one: I am probably an early example of it. I learned much in the SPDG and I want others have that possibility in the future too.

BTW: we need a smiley who's head is being cut off. Very useful for roleplay.

Aidun
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
Term 9 and 10 Domestic Minister of the C3DG I., Term 8 Regional Governor of Old Persia in the C3DG and proud citizen of Apolyton. Royal Ambassador to Legoland in the C3 PTW DG, Foreign Affairs Minister and King of the United Kingdom in the MZO C3CDG and leader of the Monarchist Imperialist team. Moody Sir Aidun (The Impatient) of the Holy Templar Order in the C4BtSDG
Old February 12, 2003, 09:38   #23
Torkkeli
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by BigFurryMonster
Interesting... when I click that link, I'm logged in as Torkkeli.
Ahh thief!! You stole my session.

Didn't realize it had my session id in the link as well.

Should be corrected by now.
Old February 12, 2003, 10:51   #24
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

It would be a good idea to start a new SP C3DG after this one completes, just pick a different civ than Egypt which we've just won as. Perhaps Russia, which shares no traights with Egypt.

The SP C3DG will probably go much faster than the MP one, and the MP won't need Regional Governors for quite a while.
Old February 12, 2003, 14:37   #25
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I say restart a new game, probably with 1.29 so the people without PtW can still join in.

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
Old February 12, 2003, 15:10   #26
Aro
lifer
Emperor

I agree, GK.
Old February 12, 2003, 15:30   #27
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I prefer to play with PtW, due to the addition of civs and several features, and the fixing of several extremely annoying bugs that existed in 1.29 and will forever exist in Civ3, because Firaxis won't be releasing any more patches for Civ3.
It's mostly the bugs. I don't want to play with a game that gives you a rep hit when an AI breaks an agreement, as if you've broken it, when I have the option to play a version that is free of this bug and a handful of other terrible bugs.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old February 12, 2003, 16:32   #28
Hot Mustard
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty Python
King

I would also be in favour of PTW, but would understand if the majority is against it.

As for civs - collectively we won this game ages ago, and could choose to win a number of ways. Why don't we go for a challege? Play as the Koreans!
Old February 12, 2003, 16:43   #29
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

A challenge is one thing. Handicapping ourselves is another.
For challenge, I think we should play with the max number of civs at Deity.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old February 12, 2003, 17:02   #30
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Korea doesn't look too bad to me, they are just a weaker version of the Greeks in the Ancient era, but have Cannons with the fire power of artilery for the late middle ages - early industrial era.

Sure they can't get a GA with their UU, but there are several Ancient & Middle Age Commerical wonders and even if thy miss all of them they ought to be able to trigue their GA by capturing any city with a Commerical wonder and building the Theory of Evolution.

Also, like Greece they should have a good shot at getting Writing first. (AI is bound to bypass Writing because it's realtively expensive.)