Old April 2, 2003, 00:03   #31
EmuGod
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 15:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I forgot to mentio nthe garrisons before. Japan's home islands are not garrisoned, which is very unrealistic because no country would send off all its troops without leaving any home forces to defend.
Old May 9, 2003, 06:36   #32
NikolajRomanov
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:29
@EmuGod Japan is now garrisoned(was not inttentionally that there are no units but i needed Japanese Cavalry units first)
@CaptainKirk the cause for the misspeling of some city names is that i used the german names for them a translation will follow
At the moment I work on the events and I have send my units file to Fairline so that he can design-redesign the units. It will take some time so next unready testversion will be released earlyest in two weeks but I need probably more time ...
Old June 18, 2003, 04:53   #33
NikolajRomanov
Chieftain

"The turtle is moving"
I have placed the new fortress unit at certain places like Petrograd, Moscow, Berlin, Vienna and so on ...
At the moment I am trying to create events for Russian revolution (1905 and 1918). It is my intention that if the player react in a certain way revolution will happen but he also should have chance to prevent revolution.
The revolution of 1905 is easy to simulate.
I will create events with this schematic:

@IF
CITYTAKEN
city=Port Arthur
attacker=Japanese Empire
defender=Russian Empire
@THEN
TEXT
^After a long siege, the defenders of Port Arthur, starving and without ammunition
^finally give up...
^Now the Japanese are preparing to advance further into Manchuria and take the
^important city Harbin
ENDTEXT
JUSTONCE
@ENDIF

@IF
CITYTAKEN
city=Harbin
attacker=Japanese Empire
defender=Russian Empire
@THEN
TEXT
RUSSIAN GIANT LOOSES HARBIN TO JAPAN ! EUROPEAN POWERS SHOCKED !
^Harbin has fallen to the advancing Japanese ! The Russian army in far east is on the verge of total destruction. High Russian officials are concerned that The Empire may loose the war ...
^In Petrograd the people are rallying for a march to the Imperial Winter Palace, protesting against the inefficient and oppressive Tsarist regime.
ENDTEXT
-I will modify this envent so that if Harbin falls Protestors (Barbarian unit) will created at all fields arround Petrograd so that the production of the city is lowered signifficantly and perhaps it will starve. SO the player must kill Protesters to prevent Petrograd from starving (of course he can bribe protestors too simulating reforms but this should be expensive)-

@IF
UNITKILLED
unit=Protestors
attacker=Russian Empire
defender=Rebels
@THEN
TEXT
TSARIST SOLDIERS FIRE AT PROTESTORS IN PETROGRAD !
^In an event that is later called bloody sunday Tsarist Troops open fire on unarmed civiliand protesting against the Tsarist regime. This causes a great shock among the Russians. The image of the Tzar is further damaged And riots spread over the country
ENDTEXT
-This event will be modified further so that VERY STRONG Rebels are placed near some Russian citys and the Russian player should loose all of his money. Also there should be placed some new proterstors who will tirgger the creation of agin new Rebels and Protestors if they are killed ... So In the End Russia has to bribe them if it wants to survive (only problem is if protestors are stacked so that thy couldn't be bribes but I will think about that ...)

Last edited by NikolajRomanov; June 18, 2003 at 04:59.
Old June 18, 2003, 05:00   #34
NikolajRomanov
Chieftain

This are my prototype events for Russian revolution in 1918
@IF
CITYTAKEN
city=Petrograd
attacker=ANYBODY
defender=Russian Empire
@THEN
TEXT
AGAINST ALL ODDS, RUSSIAN CAPITAL CAPTURED!
^Petrograd, capital of the Russian Empire, has been taken by the invading armies!
^Nikolaj Nikolajewitsch who has vowed to continue the fight to free "Mother Russia".
^The Russian army is experiencing mass-desertions. Only the elite divisions
^of the Imperial Guard continue to offer fierce resistance. Although the governent
^has relocated further eastward, it remains to be seen whether Russia can weather
^this disaster and continue the struggle against invaders and communists.
ENDTEXT
CHANGEMONEY
receiver=TRIGGERATTACKER
amount=7000
GIVETECHNOLOGY
receiver=Russian Empire
technology=31
JUSTONCE
@ENDIF

@IF
CITYTAKEN
city=Moscow
attacker=ANYBODY
defender=Russian Empire
@THEN
TEXT
^^REVOLUTION IN RUSSIA
^Riots breake out in St.Petersburg and quickly spread throughout the country. Now Czar
^Nicholas II is forced to abdicate his throne. A provisional government headed by Kerensky
^is established and makes the fatal mistake of continuing the war against the Invaders.
^Germany allows Lenin to take a train from Switzerland to Russia from where he was exiled.
^The Bolsheviks sieze power of the government in St.Petersburg and overthrow Kerenski. They
^quickly conclude an armistace with Invaders as a civil war approaches.
ENDTEXT
GIVETECHNOLOGY
receiver=Russian Empire
technology=31
JUSTONCE
CHANGEMONEY
receiver=Russian Empire
amount=-5000
@ENDIF

Of course there is a chance for the russian player to rule da game too

@IF
CITYTAKEN
city=Berlin
attacker=Russian Empire
defender=German Empire
@THEN
TEXT
ROMANOV TRIUMPHANT - BERLIN IN IMPERIAL ARMY'S HANDS!
^Grand Duke Nikolaj Nikolajewitsch's massive offensive culminates with the fall of Berlin
^and the destruction of Army Group Center in Brandenburg. Over 300,000 Germans
^have been killed or captured.
ENDTEXT
CHANGEMONEY
receiver=Russian Empire
amount=12000
JUSTONCE
@ENDIF

Because I don't want only to re-create or combine older scenarios I will create new victory conditions for PBEM:
It should work with victory points but must be handled by the players themself because the system I want to create can't be integrated in the programm.

The victory conditions should work with historical goals
you should achieve like capturing an certain city or forming an alliance. For achieving this goal you should be rewarded with points.

One possible goal could be the "Entente Cordiale" for France: This means: If France manages to form an alliance with Russia and Great Britain (which lasts untill the end of the game) the player will get for example 100 victory points.
This goal seems to be easy to reach but there is an alternative goal: "African Domination" This includes the capture of Egypt. So the player has to choose wether he wants to conquer Egypt from the British wich will surelymake them VERY angry (but gives the French player 250 victory points) or to make Entente Cordiale
Old June 18, 2003, 05:25   #35
NikolajRomanov
Chieftain

Now to the warfare if have decided to give the units a reasonably high attack rate Infantry (at least the "Division"unit) should 125-150% attack rate compared to it's defense value. I have done so because In my scenario the Division unit realy simulates an whole Infantry division with some Artillery support ...

I will of course split the neutral civ. This was my intention since I started this scn. BUt first I wanted to make the prime civs and place the city.

With financial balance I have problems ... I don't want to have a cash overflow so the surplus of money should e reasonably low. But the civilisations should also have enough money to buy something ... It is a big problem I faced in all of my scenarios untill yet (There were some scenarios I created for myself ... )

@Fairline waiting for your units

Dancing pairs painted wings
Things I almost remember
And a song someone sings
Once upon a december
Someone holds me safe and warm
Horses prance through a silver storm
Figures dancing gracefully across my memory
Someone holds me safe and warm
Horses prance through a silver storm
Figures dancing gracefully across my memory
Far away long ago, glowing dim as an amber
Things my heart used to know
Things it yearns to remember
And a song someone sings
Once upon a december

- once upon a december; Anastasia movie soundtrack-

Last edited by NikolajRomanov; June 18, 2003 at 05:31.
Old June 18, 2003, 14:27   #36
EmuGod
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 15:29
You should have more events for the fall of cities. I'd be glad to try and write some of the text for the fall of certain cities if you'd like me to.
Old June 28, 2003, 12:06   #37
NikolajRomanov
Chieftain

Here is a new a little bit updated ver
Attached Files:
File Type: zip imp0420.zip (329.0 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by NikolajRomanov; June 28, 2003 at 12:19.
Old June 28, 2003, 12:07   #38
NikolajRomanov
Chieftain

And the second zip file
Attached Files:
File Type: zip imp0420b.zip (39.1 KB, 25 views)
Old June 28, 2003, 18:27   #39
NikolajRomanov
Chieftain

All you enemys of peace and freedom fear the russian Steam Roller
t
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	greatbr017.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	48754  
Old June 28, 2003, 21:13   #40
Eivind IV
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 21:29
You seem to be a big fan of Russia

Ave Europa, nostra vera Patria!
Old June 28, 2003, 21:47   #41
rmsharpe
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 14:29
He also seems to be a big fan of not putting the cities.bmp in his zip files.
Old June 29, 2003, 06:36   #42
NikolajRomanov
Chieftain

Citys.bmp file will be included when my computer has no virus anymore.
Old June 29, 2003, 06:53   #43
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 05:29
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Well, there's a set of files I'm glad I didn't download!
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old June 29, 2003, 07:04   #44
fairline
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 19:29
Unfortunately I did, and aside from the fact that my pc may now be infected, I notice a strange familiarity with this scenario. Nikolaj, have you been playing Exile's imperialism recently You may want to change a few more things to make it a little more distinct from that
Old June 29, 2003, 07:32   #45
Dr Kellogg
Warlord

Local Time: 21:29
I checked the file and I think there's no virus..
Old June 29, 2003, 07:40   #46
Palaiologos
Civilization II PBEM
King

Local Time: 19:29
There is NO virus in these files.
Old June 29, 2003, 07:47   #47
NikolajRomanov
Chieftain

In these files there is of course no virus but in my computer there is and becausethe anti virus programm doesn't work propperly i haev only uploaded files which weren't infected for sure
Old June 29, 2003, 07:57   #48
NikolajRomanov
Chieftain

unimportan due to changes

Last edited by NikolajRomanov; October 26, 2003 at 01:04.
Old June 29, 2003, 16:59   #49
NikolajRomanov
Chieftain

Unimportant due to changes

Last edited by NikolajRomanov; October 26, 2003 at 01:03.
Old October 26, 2003, 00:49   #50
NikolajRomanov
Chieftain

Due to the fact that this scenario is realy almost (why only almost ??? ) like Imperialism1870 I have decided to rework the timeframe so that the scenario lasts from 1904 to c.a1950 If I manage to finish it it should work like for example Red Front so that the players have to change rules, units and events file after a couple of turns. I have not worked on this scenario for some months zzz: but I hope in ten or twenty years it will be ready
New Ideas: vassalisation of certain countrys and Conscription
Vassalisation: If Germany manages it to conquer Istanbul it will be reinforced by Turkish Infantry every turn (or every 2nd turn and so on ) which will be created in this city.
Conscription: Conscription will work like Vassalisation with the difference that every major power generates 1-4 Infantry units "every turn". How many units you get and wether they are veteran units or not will be determined by the major power's historical military strenght and their attitude towards the military and so on ... For example the USA will get (at least during the first phase of the scenario) only 1 Infantry Unit for they realy weren't that militaristic like Germany, The British Empire, Russia or France. I will review and test this concept due to the danger of flooding the map with units : I

Fortifications: The concept of fortifications has advantages and disadvantages. The Advantage is of course that you can create fortresses in certain citys to make harder to conquer but In many scenarios I have seen that this fortifications were overpowered so that the AI ha absolutly no chance against it ... Also I don't want a human player sitting before his PC and getting mad because he isn't able to destroy that single little fortress with his 10 250mm Artillery, 10 Imperial Guard, and 30 Dreadnoughts :P. So I have given them an appropriate defense value which is as high as the attack value of the strongest regular unit (heavy artillery). So a player with heavy Artillery should be able to get rid of this crapy fortress in Port Arthur :P
If a player conquers a important city (London, New York, Berlin, Moscow etc.) he will get one veteran fortress there. Usually these citys have high production capabilitys so that they are strategical and economical important goals.

Money Concept: The Money Concept is much like the concepts of "Imperialism 1870" or "Crisis of the New World Order". You can't avoid a to loose moey each turn if you want to keep your people happy and research at least a little bit. it is balanced so that you usually loose between 300 and 500 Gold each Turn and your only way to avoid bancrupt will be trade. every nation starts with an specific amount of money which 1. simulates their economical situation and 2. is meaned for balance purposes.

Military: I favour generaly the attacker. Most Units have a attack rate which is a bit higher then the avarage defense rate Example: British Division 7a 6d, German Division 8a 6d. There is also the low HP high FP concept which is used by Kobayashi in his Star Wars Scenario which makes the fight a bit shorter ( I don't want to sit five hours before mycomputer only to see that my 100Hp 1Fp warrior has failed ) and gives weaker units a little better chance against units who are stronger (at least it seemed to me so)
Infantry units have a movement rate of 2 so that they are able to move some distance within one turn which should be 1-3 months. Cavalry has an advantage in open field due to it's even higher attack rate and it's movement rate of 3 but it is almost worthless if you want to attack a city or a fortress. It can also be used to save far-away-citys which you can not reach anymore with infantry (like the cavalry in old cowboys vs Indian films :P)
Updates will follow

Quote:
There is scarcely a town or school in Russia from which boys have not run away to the war. Hundreds of girls have gone off in boys' clothes and tried to pass themselves off as boys and enlist as volunteers, and several have got through, since the medical examination is only a negligible formality required in one place, forgotten in another
Quote:
In the account book of the Great War the page recording the Russian losses has been ripped out. The figures are unknown. Five millions, or eight? We ourselves know not. All we know is that, at times, fighting the Russians, we had to remove the piles of enemy bodies from before our trenches, so as to get a clear field of fire against new waves of assault.

Last edited by NikolajRomanov; October 26, 2003 at 01:10.