Old February 13, 2003, 05:52   #1
dioync
Settler

Local Time: 19:32
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Synthetic Fibers Bug
Has anyone else experienced this bug and knows of a work-around? I've attached a screen shot of the tech tree.

I'm using PTW 1.14f (US Version).

Bug description: I can't research synthetic fibers because I can't click on it in the tech tree (nothing happens when clicking on it). I can't even steal it from another civ; when I tried to steal it, I was stuck in a loop because the game wouldn't let me continue without choosing a tech from the other civ, but I couldn't choose synthetic fibers and the other civ had no other techs I didn't have. I had to terminate the game using Alt-Ctrl-Del. Also, as you can see on the screen shot, there are some graphical errors. Strange.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	civ.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	36804  
Old February 13, 2003, 06:40   #2
Todd Hawks
Prince

Local Time: 20:32
I've never seen this. Try clicking between rocketry and ecology.

I recommend a reinstall.
Old February 13, 2003, 06:43   #3
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 14:32
It looks like you need to choose Recycling first.
Old February 13, 2003, 06:44   #4
The Mad Monk
Emperor

How much memory are you using?
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old February 13, 2003, 06:46   #5
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 20:32
I had a similar problem with civ3 when clicking on Banking didn't work. I found I had to click just to one side of where the tech was on the screen. I have since reinstalled (I reformatted my hard drive for unrelated reasons) and the problem has not recurred.
Old February 13, 2003, 08:17   #6
dioync
Settler

I'm using 256 MB of memory, which should be enough. I already tried clicking on almost every single pixel on the tech tree screen (I'm suspecting that the "clickable area" for synthetic fibers is simply misplaced), but to no avail. Recycling is irrelevant, it doesn't matter whether it's researched or not.

Note: I *can* research synthetic fibers if I click on Stealth. It is then put into the research queue before stealth. But that won't help when trying to steal it from another Civ.
Old February 13, 2003, 08:39   #7
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 21:32
your boxes looked screwed up anyway. did you use a mod?

sometimes the coordinate references don't get calculated properly. i had this in civ3 vanilla when the choice of civ for diplomacy i had to click 3-4 lines further down (sometimes below the dialog box!). i solved it by removing one of the fonts.

in your case i don't know. if you can't even steal it from someone, it can't be the coordinate problem...

why don't you post the save game here?
Old February 13, 2003, 08:40   #8
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

other solution: nuke the enemy to death and get him with thousands of artillery, tanks and MIs
Old February 13, 2003, 09:14   #9
dioync
Settler

I didn't use a mod, it's plain PTW with patch 1.14f installed. Posting the save game won't help, because the bug only appears on my machine. I sent the savegame to somebody else, who loaded it, stole the synthetic fibers advance, saved and sent the savegame back to me. On his machine the bug is non-existent.
Old February 13, 2003, 09:32   #10
sabrewolf
Emperor

reinstall the game...
and watch that you get the right patch (european version for the european game)
Old February 13, 2003, 15:16   #11
minke19104
Warlord

Looks like ur using Civ3 graphics instead of PTW ones. I've had the same problem before. Reinstall everything from scratch, and make sure u install PTW on a different directory, I think, under Civ 3 dir... Or it must just be a patch problem.
Old February 13, 2003, 20:16   #12
bigfree1

Quote:
Originally posted by dioync
Recycling is irrelevant, it doesn't matter whether it's researched or not.

Note: I *can* research synthetic fibers if I click on Stealth. It is then put into the research queue before stealth. But that won't help when trying to steal it from another Civ.
Hey dork, it DOES matter. That's why there is a line going from Recycling to Synthetic Fibers.

Also your graphics problem could be attributed to a pirated version, just a thought.

Old February 13, 2003, 22:22   #13
WarpStorm
King

You can also get screwed up if you've modded Civ3 (PTW expects a clean Civ3).
Old February 14, 2003, 00:17   #14
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 12:32
Are you sure there isn't a mod at work in your game? IIRC, under standard rules, Recycling is an optional tech and is not required to research Synthetic Fibers.

Quote:
Originally posted by bigfree1

Quote:
Originally posted by dioync
Recycling is irrelevant, it doesn't matter whether it's researched or not.

Hey dork, it DOES matter. That's why there is a line going from Recycling to Synthetic Fibers.
I suspect dioync is referring to the fact that you can select any tech on the tech tree, even one with numerous prerequisites, and the "path" to reach your chosen tech will be highlighted (i.e., dioync can select Stealth and have SynFib highliughted as part of the queue, but can't directly select SynFib).

Catt
Old February 14, 2003, 02:57   #15
dioync
Settler

@Catt: Exactly.

And no, I'm not using a pirated version, although I tried to install a No-CD crack for Civ3 (before I got PTW) because I couldn't find my CD at some point. Maybe that's causing the problem, though I can't imagine why this could cause something like this (after all, the No-CD thingy only affects civilization3.exe, which is not needed for PTW, right?). Anyway, I'm just going to reinstall the game. Thanks for the help.
Old February 14, 2003, 03:13   #16
The Mad Monk
Emperor

If it dosen't work after the reinstall, check your virtual memory -- Civ III apparently uses it in massive quantities.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old February 14, 2003, 04:16   #17
bigfree1

dioync's story doesn't jive with me.

He says that the only thing that is different, that *may* have caused the problem is a no-cd crack he obtained from who knows where (probably the same place he got the files to run the bugged version of the game he's got).

Fact is is that he is running a modded version of the game and doesn't state so in his posts because he doesn't *know* that they ARE modded.

He wouldn't know that the game was modded if he downloaded the game from somewhere (person who made the pirated version available could've easily seen to it that the game plays as he saw fit); but he WOULD know if he modded the game himself, no?

Also, most of us here would've just put any save game files into a temp folder and just re-intalled everything and then tried again to see what happened. Since he has not tried that (takes 10 minutes tops!); I'm concluding that he doesn't have a legit version of the game.

Maybe someone else who has the same version of the game as you might be able to point you in the direction of a fix, but not any of us who actually OWN the game.

Anyway, that's my theory on the matter. Sorry if I went to far, but there has been so many posts for bugs in the game, missing files, ect.... that can all be traced to pirated versions of the game. This is unfair to the companies that make it and to me because if they lack money to support the current release of the game at a high level or even enough to not consider making another Civ title, then we can blame those that stole their copies from Firaxis.

dioync, if you really own the game, I apologize; otherwise you are a thief that is hurting the game of Civilization.

Last edited by ; February 14, 2003 at 04:21.

Old February 14, 2003, 04:35   #18
dioync
Settler

Re-installed everything now (I hate installing software ). The bug seems to be gone now. I'd really like to know what caused it... but I guess I'll never find out. Must have been the no-CD crack, although I can't imagine how that could have caused it. Whatever, I'm glad it works now.
Old February 18, 2003, 11:57   #19
Mad Mariner
Settler

Quote:
Re-installed everything now (I hate installing software ). The bug seems to be gone now. I'd really like to know what caused it... but I guess I'll never find out. Must have been the no-CD crack, although I can't imagine how that could have caused it. Whatever, I'm glad it works now.
Translated into english this means

"Oops ive been rumbled best pretend its all sorted"

(wink wink say no more)