View Poll Results: Can we use the proper name 'Weis' for the Austrian city, instead of 'Wels' or 'Wess'
Yes 1 14.29%
No 3 42.86%
Abstain 3 42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 13, 2003, 08:08   #1
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 19:33
Local Date: November 1, 2010
RESOLUTION: Can we use the proper name for Weis?
(Instead of all the mispellings that we keep on using... I've seen Wess and Wels so far...)

MrBaggins
Old February 13, 2003, 08:40   #2
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 21:33
I agree, we should use the correct name and the correct name is indeed Wels, with an L. Well, the correct name, I don't know if there's actually a real town with that name, but it's the name that the game uses for sure. Check civ_str.txt if you want to be sure...

(Plus, it could never be called Weis in German, unless I'm very much mistaken that would be very un-German. If anything, it would have to be called Weiss).
Old February 13, 2003, 08:43   #3
mapfi
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II Multiplayer
Prince

Local Time: 20:33
it is WELS !!! the town has of course its own website www.wels.at

and since this poll violates the polling rules - scrap it!
Old February 13, 2003, 08:45   #4
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

LOL, yeah, just found it myself. I don't know if it has any kind of historic importance (knowing the average Activision city list, probably not), but at least it exists (SE of Linz, on the river Traun)

Edit: okay, just found the history section - so the town does have at least some historic significance. Must be a fluke on Activision behalf
Old February 13, 2003, 08:50   #5
mapfi
Prince

http://www.wels.at/KulturBildung/geschichte.htm

it says that there were people living in the area already in 3500BC and that the town had quite some regional importance under the Roman Empire but after that - not important at all
Old February 13, 2003, 08:57   #6
Locutus
Deity

Well, the Roman Empire part could be significant, but you'd have to know the history of all of Austria(-Hungary) to be able to say how it compares to other cities. It seems to me that, considering that the Activision seems to have mainly (not exclusively) focused on cities that are in present-day Austria and not in the former Austrian Empire, it could be a good choice. But then again, I don't know too much about Austrian history, so I wouldn't know for sure. In that sense you're probably in a better position to judge that then me, being a neighbour and all...
Old February 13, 2003, 08:57   #7
Gilgamensch
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Locutus, correct , but I don't think,we want to call a town, white??????

But most important, who cares? As soon as we freed those opressed pur fellowers, we will rename the city anyway.....ups...... sounding to much like WP? Maybe I should not have so many interviews with them
Old February 13, 2003, 09:10   #8
mapfi
Prince

I wouldn't know much about Austrian history before the Empire of Austria-Hungary, only that the Austrians we're oppressing part of Switzerland in the 13th century which lead to the foundation of it in 1291.
Old February 13, 2003, 09:16   #9
Locutus
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Gilgamensch
Locutus, correct , but I don't think,we want to call a town, white??????
You've obviously never looked at Dutch city names We have cities with names that translate as Apples, Reds, Mountains (several even, and that in the flattest country in the world ), Weeds, Gross, Animals, Holes, Houses (how original is that? ), Real, Dongs, Borrowing, etc. I could go on for hours So White would be a very acceptable name over here

Quote:
But most important, who cares? As soon as we freed those opressed pur fellowers, we will rename the city anyway.....ups...... sounding to much like WP?
Couldn't agree more
Old February 13, 2003, 09:19   #10
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 19:33
Country and City Codes for Austria
Austria country code: 43
Austria City Codes :
Ach 7727
Baden Bei Wien 2252
Badgastein 6434
Bludenz 5552
Graz 316
Innsbruck 5122
Kitzbuhel 5356
Klagenfurt 4222
Krems An Der Donau 2732
Linz 70
Linz Donau 732
Neunkirchen Niederosterreich 2635
Salzburg 662
Sankt Polten 2742
Thuringen 5550
Velden Am Wother See 4274
Vienna 1
Villach 4242
Weis 7242
Wiener Neustadt 2622

Source AT&T

Weis is a large provincial town. Wels is a tourism spot
Old February 13, 2003, 09:22   #11
Locutus
Deity

Well, 7242 is the city code for Wels, according to the website. So, considering that the inhabitants probably know their own name better than AT&T, it's obviously a screw-up by AT&T. Can't say I'm very surprised

(Who relies on AT&T for such information anyway? Never heard of an atlas? )
Old February 13, 2003, 09:25   #12
mapfi
Prince

haha, AT&T - why would they get the name of a European city right?

Wels has almost 60'000 inhabitants, that's a large provincial town for Austria, as you say.
Old February 13, 2003, 09:28   #13
mapfi
Prince

Quote:
Velden Am Wother See 4274
the lake is called Wörther See, while that American company probably can't imagine two dots on a vowel they should be familiar with Rs.
Old February 13, 2003, 09:44   #14
Locutus
Deity

The Dutch AT&T list is very unusual as well. Granted, everything is spelled correctly as far as I can see (except that they used the English name for Den Haag (The Hague), but that's understandable, I suppose), but they only list a small number of all possible city codes and their choices for which ones are seemingly random (you'd expect they'd pick the biggest cities or something, but that's far from what they did).
Old February 13, 2003, 09:53   #15
mapfi
Prince

Zaphod is going to like that they spell Aachen in Germany with just one A.
Old February 13, 2003, 09:55   #16
Locutus
Deity

Yeah, noticed that too. But outside Germany (or other German speaking countries), noone seems to know how to spell that name correctly, so I hardly think he'll be surprised...
Old February 13, 2003, 10:39   #17
Zaphod Beeblebrox
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

the town is spelled Bad Aachen, and its spoken Öche

but Aquis Grana is still fine for me.
Old February 13, 2003, 11:05   #18
Zaphod Beeblebrox
King

and another hardly interesting story:
my hometown, where i was born, is written Nordenham with only one m because when it became an official city in 1908 it was mainly used as a harbour to ship cattle to england, and the english companies never got that second m right. a lot of other towns and villages in that area are given names, that end on hamm (with 2 m!). ham is the word for a small artificial island, which were needed, before the area got dykes (sp?) to protect it from the sea. the only other hamm with only one is Hamburg (meaning castle on a hamm), and i guess its thats because it begins with ham instead off ending with it. hmmm.... should eat some ham now
Old February 13, 2003, 12:40   #19
Gilgamensch
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus

You've obviously never looked at Dutch city names We have cities with names that translate as Apples, Reds, Mountains
That's because people saw a bigger rock and thought of it as a mountain
Quote:
(several even, and that in the flattest country in the world ), Weeds, Gross, Animals, Holes, Houses (how original is that? ), Real, Dongs, Borrowing, etc. I could go on for hours So White would be a very acceptable name over here
You have similiar 'naming' in German:

Talking about roses, bushes, X-furt's, x-castles and so on.

For animals: Locutus, you might have heard of Schweinfurt????? mixing animal and the furt, the reason, you can guess easily
Old February 13, 2003, 13:04   #20
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

First we got the spelling right. Second if the spelling is wrong then we have to use the in game name, and looking up it in the Austrians city list in the APOL_civ_str.txt it is at position 14 and it is written Wels. So that means the Austrians have at least 14 cities minus 2.

Quote:
Well, the Roman Empire part could be significant, but you'd have to know the history of all of Austria(-Hungary) to be able to say how it compares to other cities. It seems to me that, considering that the Activision seems to have mainly (not exclusively) focused on cities that are in present-day Austria and not in the former Austrian Empire, it could be a good choice. But then again, I don't know too much about Austrian history, so I wouldn't know for sure. In that sense you're probably in a better position to judge that then me, being a neighbour and all...
I wouldn't call it fucussing on cities in present Austria, if I find a lot of cities like Praha, Pilsen, Brunn (actual not sure), Pressburg (Bratislava), Ostrau, Troppau under the 11 first cities on that list. Half of the 11 first cities does not belong to Austria, today.

Quote:
LOL, yeah, just found it myself. I don't know if it has any kind of historic importance (knowing the average Activision city list, probably not), but at least it exists (SE of Linz, on the river Traun)

Edit: okay, just found the history section - so the town does have at least some historic significance. Must be a fluke on Activision behalf
Now let's get it right with who made the city list. If you check the files of the original CTP1 and original CTP2 then you won't find any sign of the AUstrians as civ in it. IIRC then the Austrians came with Harlan's ModPack to CTP1.

-Martin
Old February 13, 2003, 13:21   #21
Pedrunn
King

Local Time: 16:33
This thread is senseless. My english version writes Wels in the city name as it should be and not Weis.
-Jean Rostand
Old February 13, 2003, 18:28   #22
Tamerlin
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Though the discussion about the "real world" city names is interesting we should not spend so much time and energy on city naming, they would be better used elsewhere in my own "two €-cents" opinion.
Old February 13, 2003, 20:17   #23
Zaphod Beeblebrox
King

well i think the time most of us spend in this thread, else would only be spent spamming in threads, you shoudln't spam in
Old February 14, 2003, 00:26   #24
HuangShang
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 12:33
i've no cle about the subject but i'd like to spam here too!
Old February 14, 2003, 00:39   #25
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 14:33
Quote:
Originally posted by HuangShang
i've no cle about the subject but i'd like to spam here too!