Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 03:35
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Gatekeeper
GePap:

Now, now. You know that the only way a nation can *properly* counterattack an enemy is only *after* it's had a Pearl Harbor done to it. Never mind that any Pearl Harbors conducted nowadays might not necessarily be done with conventional weaponry ...

Gatekeeper
It's better than bombing the sh*t out of another country just to find that there has been no ethnic cleansing going on.
Old February 14, 2003, 04:26   #62
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 15:35
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
Interesing enough, the only dangerous tyrant is the US.
China is a far more dangerous tyranny than the US is. You guys really shouldn't sell yourself short; you're still grade A thugs.
Old February 14, 2003, 04:31   #63
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 12:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Berzerker
Sava -
Since it would be a "rebirth", then they didn't learn it from us. They did learn to build cars though. But what in the hell are you talking about? Since when does self-defense qualify as empire building?
You don't want to bother him with little logical facts like that. It gets him worked up if you do.

BTW Japan has the second largest navy and air force in the pacific. True, it doesn't have transports reserved just for the military but it has one of the largest merchant marines in the world and it has a large fleet of civilian air liners. If it really came to war then the Japanese could convert these into military use. We did it in WW2 so why couldn't they do the same thing?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old February 14, 2003, 04:34   #64
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
It's better than bombing the sh*t out of another country just to find that there has been no ethnic cleansing going on.
Having actually been there I can honestly say a whole host of war crimes occured in Kosovo. As a good arm chair liberal I'm sure the closest you got was the local library.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old February 14, 2003, 04:35   #65
Drake Tungsten
Deity

That's a nice sig you got there, Oerdin.

Old February 14, 2003, 04:36   #66
Oerdin
Deity

I stole it from some jerk off.
Old February 14, 2003, 04:39   #67
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
I stole it from some jerk off.
Old February 14, 2003, 06:38   #68
Oerdin
Deity

Old February 14, 2003, 07:22   #69
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 20:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin

BTW Japan has the second largest navy and air force in the pacific. True, it doesn't have transports reserved just for the military but it has one of the largest merchant marines in the world and it has a large fleet of civilian air liners. If it really came to war then the Japanese could convert these into military use. We did it in WW2 so why couldn't they do the same thing?
If it comes down to it does the US Navy have mothballed transports the Japanese could buy/lease?
Old February 14, 2003, 07:32   #70
Oerdin
Deity

We have every thing from air craft carriers on down just tucked away waiting for some excuse to be brought back into service. I think they call it the stategic navel reserve or some such.
Old February 14, 2003, 10:36   #71
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 22:35
If they have a strong enough paratrooper/transport Helo force, and would be able to establish aerial superiority, they would be able to capture a seaport via air, and then use traditional naval vessels to transport equipment.
Old February 14, 2003, 11:02   #72
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:35
Quote:
Having actually been there I can honestly say a whole host of war crimes occured in Kosovo. As a good arm chair liberal I'm sure the closest you got was the local library.
And a whole lot of war crimes occured in Croatia. And a whole lot of war crimes occured in Bosnia. And a whole lot of war crimes occured in Serbia.

Yeah, it's a ****ed up region in general.

What's wrong with the library?

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old February 14, 2003, 11:18   #73
muxec
Prince

Local Time: 22:35
N. Korea must be unarmed, and if UN can not unarm it peacefully Japan and USA must unarm it.
Old February 14, 2003, 12:07   #74
lord of the mark
Deity

I suspect what is going on here is that Japan is fed up iwth responses of Russia, China and Skor.

US has asked for multilateral talks with Nkor, and Nkor want one on one with US. China and Russia, despite their alleged beliefs in multielateralism, are not supportive of the US position. Everyone seems to want to give Nkor what they want when Nkor sword rattles, Japan is making clear it can play this game as well. Is this giving the region a good scare? - well its about time.
Old February 14, 2003, 13:15   #75
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Quote:
there's a difference between being able to ship your army to friendly harbors and assaulting hostile beaches. N.K. is definitely in the hostile beaches category. You need landing craft in addition to all the car carriers they have.
Old February 14, 2003, 14:26   #76
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
How was the invasion of Afghanistan legitimised?
UN Security Council Resolution 1368

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by GePap
If a state can show serious and credible evidence of an imminent threat, pre-emption is allowed under international law.
Cite?
The Caroline doctrine states that "invading" the territory of another state can be justified as an act of self-defence only in those "cases in which the necessity of that self-defence is instant, overwhelming, and leaving no choice of means and no moment for deliberation."
Old February 14, 2003, 14:55   #77
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

My my. The Japanese government is certainly becoming more marshall...

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/newse/20030215wo41.htm
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old February 14, 2003, 20:26   #78
Drake Tungsten
Deity

I don't think support for the US in Iraq means much, DanS. They supported us in 1991, so this isn't a huge deal.

Now, if they send troops to help us...
Old February 14, 2003, 21:13   #79
DanS
Deity

Are you kidding? Japan paid more for Gulf War I than any other non-Arab state, including the US. They are big contributors and we're going to have our hats out collecting in a month or so.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old February 14, 2003, 21:22   #80
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Are you kidding? Japan paid more for Gulf War I than any other non-Arab state, including the US. They are big contributors and we're going to have our hats out collecting in a month or so.
I meant that Japanese support for the US on Iraq doesn't really indicate that they are becoming more martial.

Japanese support, particularly financial, is extremely valuable to the US, especially since Germany probably won't be bankrolling us this time around.
Old February 14, 2003, 21:30   #81
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Quote:

That's BS. You just need to look at what happened in Bosnia to draw the conclusion on what could happen in Kosovo, if we did not step in.
Old February 14, 2003, 21:51   #82
DanS
Deity

I meant that Japanese support for the US on Iraq doesn't really indicate that they are becoming more martial.

Of course I agree. I just thought it was funny how they came out with this position not two days after they threaten NK. Japan's week to be in a bad mood, etc.

Anyway, even though Japan is getting kicked around a lot lately, they're still worth more than France and Germany combined. Important to keep that in mind.
Old February 14, 2003, 21:56   #83
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Anyway, even though Japan is getting kicked around a lot lately, they're still worth more than France and Germany combined. Important to keep that in mind.
I completely agree. The Japanese still have one important quality that the French and Germans seem to have forgotten. It's called loyalty...
Old February 14, 2003, 22:19   #84
AnnC
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:35
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned: Why in the world would they develop nukes and long range missles unless they intended to use them under certain circumstances.
They could develop nukes and missiles for the purpose of selling them (to anybody who is willing to pay). And given the state of NK's economy, I suspect that's what's going on.
Old February 14, 2003, 23:38   #85
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Quote:
I completely agree. The Japanese still have one important quality that the French and Germans seem to have forgotten. It's called loyalty...

Mantra of the unimaginative. Explain why any U.S. ally who disagrees with U.S. policy should still go along with it?

Loyalty must be earned.
Old February 14, 2003, 23:45   #86
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Loyalty must be earned.
Rebuilding Europe after WWII and protecting them for 50 years didn't earn us any loyalty?

The Japanese haven't forgetten all the help America has given them over the years...
Old February 14, 2003, 23:55   #87
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
Quote:
Loyalty must be earned.
Rebuilding Europe after WWII and protecting them for 50 years didn't earn us any loyalty?

The Japanese haven't forgetten all the help America has given them over the years...
Since when did loyalty entail blindly following an aggressive policy they disagree with?

If helping another nation out is call for eternal loyalty, then it is us who should be kissing French butt, not the other way around.

It's not "disloyalty" to object to America's foreign policy. What a warped sense of loyalty you must have. If your boss was committing acts you found immoral, do you think it would be okay to go along with him out of "loyalty?"

And ask the Japanese how they feel about American soldiers on Japanese territory and see how far their "loyalty" goes.
Old February 14, 2003, 23:59   #88
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Sorry grandpa, the burden of proof is on you. If you have solid evidence, I am sure the ICTY will love to hear from you.
Old February 15, 2003, 00:04   #89
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
UN Security Council Resolution 1368
Which clause?

Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
The Caroline doctrine states that "invading" the territory of another state can be justified as an act of self-defence only in those "cases in which the necessity of that self-defence is instant, overwhelming, and leaving no choice of means and no moment for deliberation."
Has it been formally adopted by the UN?
Old February 15, 2003, 00:04   #90
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Since when did loyalty entail blindly following an aggressive policy they disagree with?
They don't have to blindly follow; all they need to do is stay out of America's way.

Quote:
It's not "disloyalty" to object to America's foreign policy.
Of course it isn't. It is disloyal to actively oppose American interests, however.

Quote:
And ask the Japanese how they feel about American soldiers on Japanese territory and see how far their "loyalty" goes.
The Japanese have never risked their alliance with the US over some minor differences over US policy. Only France and Germany are stupid enough to do that.