Local Date: November 1, 2010
2194 Gigamap Version 0.95 PBEM Test #1
JAPANESE - Academia
AXIS - SAS
CHINESE - EmuGod
AMERICANS - Pap1723
BRITISH - Conmcb25
SOVIETS - FiGu

I know Conmcb and Choke have expressed interest in being in this test, so hurry up as the spots will be full fast.

Pap

Last edited by Pap1723; February 16, 2003 at 19:37.
Old February 14, 2003, 09:18   #2
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Local Time: 15:39
OK Brits for Conmcb25.

The scenario is here:

http://www.historic-battles.com/2194...Gigamap095.zip

Hopefully we can avoid a .scn change. If there are nay changes we can make a rules.txt change or whatever in mid game and keep going. Since most of the other old dog threads have died I encourage any of the other playtesters to sign up here.

Comments about this version can go here at HB:

http://www.historic-battles.com/yabb...x.php?board=75;action=display;threadid=996

Or at the Apoly thread:

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...39#post1727439
Old February 14, 2003, 09:40   #3
FiGu
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 21:39
The Soviets for me!!!

Comrade Patiskov Figiskovsky serving as Commander of the 2nd Ukranian Front and Member of the Stavka in RF DG!
Current Medals: Valiant Labour Medal and Order of Glory and IRC medal
Old February 15, 2003, 06:28   #4
sas
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 19:39
Germans here
Old February 15, 2003, 13:54   #5
academia
Civilization II PBEMSpanish CiversScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Japan for me!
Old February 15, 2003, 13:55   #6
EmuGod
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II PBEM
Prince

I can take China or Japan, it's your call.
Old February 16, 2003, 21:57   #7
Pap1723
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Prince

Local Time: 13:39
Get us started Academia.
Old February 16, 2003, 22:04   #8
academia
Emperor

Oakie dokie.
Playing my turn right now
Old February 16, 2003, 22:44   #9
academia
Emperor

Mmm... that new "infantry" unit is extremely powerful.
Defense value: 8!!! too much!!
Moreover, all the US/British cities in all the southeast asia have more than 3 units of this kind. Wait! some have 6.
You understand that my imperial army and marine units are useless against those "infantry" defenders. Even my Zeroes canŽt kill them.
Mmm... is that real? IŽve never seen infantry units been able to defend themselves against fighters...
At least not in a ww2 game.

Where are the AA guns??? I really miss these units.

And you also eliminated the werhmatch!! why???
But you give me the chance of building imperial army and infantry units. Mmm...
Ah! the infantry can also attack airplanes

And about stackable ocean squares...when I attacked an american naval transport, the land units that it was carrying didnŽt sink with the ship!!!

Do you really want me to begin this game?
IŽm not sure if iŽd like to play with these conditions.
Please, nothing personal against you Pap... itŽs just i donŽt feel comfortable with the current design of the scenario. ThatŽs all
Old February 17, 2003, 00:32   #10
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Academia

Pap, SAS, Darius and I have been around and around on these issues.

Including several 1 vs 1 games between Pap and I and SAS and I.

With the CIV 2 engine there are as you know limitations. And some of these decisions are comprimises or the best of two undesireable features.

I dont have time here but we have discussed this stuff at lenght at HB in the 2194 forum. That will give you the background if you desire to understand why certain decisions were made.

This is getting better all the time.

And fighters taking out Infantry on one pass. I dont think that is realistic.

I encourage you to read the HB threads before you decide to leave. This scenario is getting really close!

http://www.historic-battles.com/yabb...x.php?board=75
Old February 17, 2003, 01:06   #11
academia
Emperor

Quote:
I encourage you to read the HB threads before you decide to leave. This scenario is getting really close!
Ok dude.
I wonŽt lie you, iŽm not planning to read all the threads about this game. Moreover, iŽm not one of the guys who really helped Pap with the hundreds of the tests heŽve already done

Quote:
And fighters taking out Infantry on one pass. I dont think that is realistic.
Sorry, but i donŽt believe the idea of a infantry shooting down a fighter.

I totally understand your point of view.
And as i always say: "YOUR SCENARIO, YOUR CHOICE"

In some way it was my fault. I should have tested the new version before playing my turn here

LetŽs be honest. IŽve made my own scenarios too!
I know i canŽt satisfy everybody and many times i had to choose between different options.
Some people may like it, other donŽt

And iŽm sure that many of you donŽt like my Iron Curtain scenario or donŽt agree with i donŽt know; attack values, location of units, etc.

But in this case; i found three things that really annoy me.
1) Superinfantry units
Sorry, but i wonŽt change my mind. 8 points of defense? too much for an infantry
2) No AA weapons
3) Stackable ocean squares
As i told you before. I consider this an error. When I attacked an american naval transport, the land units that it was carrying didnŽt sink with the ship!!!

So, if you arenŽt planning to change these "conditions" iŽm not going to play.
I just quit and leave my place for other guy, Emugod perhaps.

PLEASE!!! DONŽT GET MY WRONG!!!!
Nothing personal against Pap. As you said, you made your tests, and have your reasons to set those values.
I donŽt like them / donŽt agree / donŽt feel comfortable
ThatŽs all

I hope i made myself clear
Old February 17, 2003, 04:04   #12
Darius871
Civilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 14:39
I haven't tested this version yet, but if those infantry units are beating charging marines than something isn't right (thought we went over this weeks ago ). The essence of the Pacific theatre was indeed amphibious infantry attacking fortified infantry. If one marine unit can't kill a fortified infantry unit 70-80% of the time, then this is seriously unrealistic.
Old February 17, 2003, 09:41   #13
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Darius871
I haven't tested this version yet, but if those infantry units are beating charging marines than something isn't right (thought we went over this weeks ago ). The essence of the Pacific theatre was indeed amphibious infantry attacking fortified infantry. If one marine unit can't kill a fortified infantry unit 70-80% of the time, then this is seriously unrealistic.
Darius I haven't kept track by writing down every combat, however my feel would suggest a greater then 50% sucess rate irt Jar Heads vs Grunts.

And Ive done close to 10 of these types of combats thus far as the Japs.
Old February 17, 2003, 10:31   #14
Pap1723
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Prince

Local Time: 13:39
I've actually been completely considering moving the infantry defense to 7, and I am going to give them x2 vs air. My reasoning behind this is the following...
AA Batteries were removed because they didn't serve an important service in the game. Infantry have now taken the place of the AA as the main defensive units. By giving them a defense of 7 and giving them x2 vs Air, they will be built as the main defensive unit and I can get rid of some of the infantry in the cities. I am treating infantry like they are also AA infantry units. Think of them as having AA Batteries as part of their units. Trust me, the Japanese can still run rampant in the Pacific early on. Ask Con about that. And yes I know the units that are being carried by the transports are not destroyed. I have not posted this here, but the house rule is that the untis must be disbanded by the player on the next turn.

Pap
Old February 17, 2003, 16:21   #15
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Well Academia I think you are making a mistake but then its your opinion. And at this level the AA units were attached to Infantry. Its not so much Infantry shooting down fighters as it is using fighters for there purpose, to protect bombers and shoot down other planes.

But it looks like you have made up your mind so I guess thats the end of it. I still think you are making a mistake. But then thats my opinion. No hard feeling from me.
Old February 17, 2003, 16:24   #16
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Im sending a PM and email to Greeny he wanted to play this but I haven't seen him around lately.

I say if he doesn't show soon then we ask EmuGod to do Japan and Pap can do the Chinese.

Sound like a plan?

Old February 17, 2003, 16:30   #17
academia
Emperor

Quote:
But it looks like you have made up your mind so I guess thats the end of it. I still think you are making a mistake. But then thats my opinion. No hard feeling from me.
Of course dude! no problem
We think different, thatŽs all

Good luck with your test
Old February 17, 2003, 18:06   #18
Choke
Prince

Local Time: 11:39
CRAP!
Old February 17, 2003, 19:21   #19
Choke
Prince

Oh wait if Academia doesn't want to be the Japanese I can play them.
Old February 17, 2003, 22:36   #20
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Choke I thought you swore off this scenario but hey if you want to play I say start us out!

Its a lot different than 06. I would check out HB and the aploy scenario forum to find out the changes.
Old February 18, 2003, 06:46   #21
jim panse
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

is there any slot free for me to join you???
Old February 18, 2003, 14:50   #22
Choke
Prince

I didn't swear off the scenario, I just left for a week and lost my position in all the games I was playing.
Old February 18, 2003, 15:03   #23
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

No worries Choke, glad to have you on board.

And I would really like to play this one but Im leaving for a month in about three weeks so Ill give the Brits to Jim Panse. Jim you want em? Im still going to keep an eye on this playtest. And Choke hold off starting I think Pap had 096 ready, if he does he will post it soon. We found a few things in the 1 vs 1 duel he and I are doing at HB. I think Pap made the changes I just haven't had a chance to talk to him.
Old February 18, 2003, 20:56   #24
EmuGod
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II PBEM
Prince

I'll try to play here, but I may be tied dowin with other work. If so, I'll tell you gys in advance. I'm hoping that China wont be that major of a problem to play.
Old February 19, 2003, 09:09   #25
jim panse
King

if you would be that kind giving the brits to me iŽll teach the germans a lesson they will not forget too soon ....

yep, iŽll take Žem
Old February 19, 2003, 09:11   #26
jim panse
King

if you would be that kind giving the brits to me iŽll teach the germans a lesson they will not forget too soon ....

yep, iŽll take the brits and kick Žem
Old February 19, 2003, 09:12   #27
jim panse
King

my damned internet explorer ..... *shaking my head*
damn bill gates!
Old February 25, 2003, 11:12   #28
FiGu
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Are we going to play this on?

Comrade Patiskov Figiskovsky serving as Commander of the 2nd Ukranian Front and Member of the Stavka in RF DG!
Current Medals: Valiant Labour Medal and Order of Glory and IRC medal
Old February 25, 2003, 15:54   #29
Choke
Prince

Oh yeah, I will have my turn up tommorow.

Last edited by Choke; February 25, 2003 at 16:22.
Old February 28, 2003, 07:49   #30
sas
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 19:39