Old February 14, 2003, 11:37   #1
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 16:39
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Inteligence Agency
We'll complete Intelligence Agency next turn. Should we try to plant some spies? And where?
Old February 14, 2003, 12:18   #2
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 21:39
I suggest Japan for now. Since we're already at war with them, they can't declare war again if they catch our spy.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old February 14, 2003, 13:20   #3
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 14:39
Whatever you do, don't try to plant spies into contries that owe us a lot of money in GPT.
Old February 14, 2003, 13:21   #4
Aidun
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4BtSDG TemplarsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Rather building
In Greece perhaps, or England or Mexico (Aztecs). There is but a risk that they'll declare war on us.

I think however, that it's better to spare our money for rushing builings in Old Germany so that it can becoem aregion with a high industial production.
Building up the industry is is one of my main priorities during term 9 when the first neccesary buildings are built.

Aidun
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
Term 9 and 10 Domestic Minister of the C3DG I., Term 8 Regional Governor of Old Persia in the C3DG and proud citizen of Apolyton. Royal Ambassador to Legoland in the C3 PTW DG, Foreign Affairs Minister and King of the United Kingdom in the MZO C3CDG and leader of the Monarchist Imperialist team. Moody Sir Aidun (The Impatient) of the Holy Templar Order in the C4BtSDG
Old February 14, 2003, 13:51   #5
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

hi ,

we should get spies everywhere , ....

have a nice day
Old February 14, 2003, 13:52   #6
Aggie
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG Glory of WarCivilization III Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumPtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

As acting SMC I urge we wait for peace with japan until we have suceessfully placed a spy there.
Aggie
Old February 14, 2003, 15:59   #7
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

I would be against the use of spies without Senate approval for using them against a specific power (after that the admin can do whatever they want concerning that certain power, but getting the Senate's approval to use them at all against a specific power would be nice).
Old February 14, 2003, 16:12   #8
Shiber
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

We will not place spies in England or Greece at this point, because we have gpt deals with both, and if they catch our spy, they will have a justifiable reason to declare war and cancel these agreements (though they would be foolish to do so, but hey, this is the AI we're speaking of).
I agree with Aggie's opinion. We have discussed this during the last turnchat, if my memory serves me right, and there seemed to be a concensus on this matter.
Speaking in more general terms, I would like to delay the signing of a peace treaty with Japan by more than just until we manage to plant a spy. So far it's costing us nothing (we haven't lost a single unit to them yet, nor do we suffer from any war weariness), and since the Japanese have nothing to offer us in exchange for peace (except for silks, which we don't really need at the moment), I see no reason to sign a peace treaty. I'd rather see them send more wooden boats and rusty ironclads to be sunk by our growing fleet.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old February 14, 2003, 16:48   #9
Aidun
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4BtSDG TemplarsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

That fleet will soon be twice large with veteran Battleships: FUN

Aidun
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise can not see all ends." - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring.
Term 9 and 10 Domestic Minister of the C3DG I., Term 8 Regional Governor of Old Persia in the C3DG and proud citizen of Apolyton. Royal Ambassador to Legoland in the C3 PTW DG, Foreign Affairs Minister and King of the United Kingdom in the MZO C3CDG and leader of the Monarchist Imperialist team. Moody Sir Aidun (The Impatient) of the Holy Templar Order in the C4BtSDG
Old February 14, 2003, 16:51   #10
Aro
lifer
PtWDG Glory of WarC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Emperor

I agree with you, guys... except panag (too risky, with gpt deals involved. Later, if needed) and Arnelos... The CoL don't say anything about this (I may be wrong, Arn; correct me if necessary). Besides, we are already at war with Japan.
Old February 16, 2003, 09:56   #11
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Aro
I agree with you, guys... except panag (too risky, with gpt deals involved. Later, if needed) and Arnelos... The CoL don't say anything about this (I may be wrong, Arn; correct me if necessary). Besides, we are already at war with Japan.
hi ,

we could always try ,......

we have the deals , fine then we can wait and place some spies elsewhere , ....

have a nice day
Old February 16, 2003, 12:09   #12
Shiber
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by panag
we could always try ,......
If our spy is caught then they will have a perfectly good excuse to cancel all deals and we'd lose potential thousands. Furthermore, we'd take a rep hit, and our relationship with the offended civ will deteriorate significantly.
No, it's best to place spies during war.
- Phantom of the Opera
Old February 16, 2003, 13:48   #13
Aro
lifer
Emperor

Our spy in Kyoto has reported this:

The japanese units:
28 workers, 1 warrior, 2 archers, 40 spearmen, 2 swords, 2 horses, 13 pikes, 16 rifles, 14 inf, 36 cav, 18 ironclads, 7 frig, 5 galley, 9 catapult... and 1 samurai.
Old February 16, 2003, 17:41   #14
roadcage
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

Local Time: 13:39
Spies are not implemented well in-game.

In RL, placing spies are expensive, and (most of the time) not very useful. Occasionally you learn an awful lot, but usually not. Also, in RL, countries rarely declare war over a spy mission. So to my view planting spies should:
Cost more
Success is about right, maybe a bit high
Downside is way too large.

I have not really found spies to be effective except when I am already at war with the intended recipient.
Old February 16, 2003, 19:55   #15
Panag
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Aro
Our spy in Kyoto has reported this:

The japanese units:
28 workers, 1 warrior, 2 archers, 40 spearmen, 2 swords, 2 horses, 13 pikes, 16 rifles, 14 inf, 36 cav, 18 ironclads, 7 frig, 5 galley, 9 catapult... and 1 samurai.
hi ,

, nothing a small civ3demo M.C. could not handle , ......

have a nice day