Old March 17, 2001, 01:47   #1
KMadeleine
PolyCast Team
Warlord

Local Time: 01:08
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Scenario with no raising/lowering terrain?
I've only recently tried to make scenarios. I tried checking the 'No terraforming [raise/lower terrain] checkbox under Scenario Rules. That didn't work. I tried changing alphax.txt so that the preq for raise/lower was Quantum Mechanics; that worked for me, I got the message that I need that prereq, but it didn't work for the AI. I tried changing the preq to 'disable', which worked for my formers, but it didn't work for the AI. Morgan's and the University's formers keep raising the terrain to make more land, which is what I want to prevent. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks.
Old March 18, 2001, 14:03   #2
Basil
Warlord

Local Time: 21:08
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Ug.

I dimly remember a bug where automated formers could do things they shouldn't have been able to do (terraform the top of Mt. Planet, build roads through fungus without the required tech, etc.). Perhaps this is what you're running into? Not that it matters.

You could set the number of turns required to raise land to an absurdly high number. The AI would probably still assign formers to raising the land, but it would never actually succeed.
Old March 18, 2001, 17:39   #3
KMadeleine
PolyCast Team
Warlord

Local Time: 01:08
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Thank you Basil! That is a very good idea about increasing the number of turns. The way I figure it, if I'm going to all the trouble of making a map in a scenario, and I'm going to live with the amount of land that's already there, then so should the AI! [stamping foot] I will try increasing the number of turns today. The thing about automated formers sounds quite likely as well. I really appreciate your help.
Old March 19, 2001, 04:13   #4
curtadams
Settler

Local Time: 21:08
Local Date: October 30, 2010
When I turn off the former abilitiy, autoformers still seem to raise land in order to permit land attack, IME. Haven't noticed plain expansion, but it is easy to miss that.