Old March 15, 2001, 22:10   #1
Shotgun
Settler

Local Time: 05:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Map Editing
Whenever I create a map from scratch and save it I have a problem then using the map. If I bring it back up in the scenario mode I can't alter the map without all the land that created disappearing. The same thing happens when I try to play a game on the map. When I load it from start game the map appears with everything except the land that I created. The natural inhancements such at the crater are there but all the land that I "scroll locked" dragged isn't. Its just water. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. Also when I bring the map back up under edit map it shows up, I just can no longer seem to edit it without the land disappearing.
Old March 15, 2001, 22:28   #2
KMadeleine
PolyCast Team
Warlord

Local Time: 01:09
I only recently started editing maps and scenarios. I tried a game with a map I made from scratch, but someone opened a pod [river or earthquake, I forget] and a tidal wave killed 2 of my coastal cities. I figured that maybe my continents were too low, or too level, or too something. So now I start with a random map and then alter it. That's been working much better for me.

Of course, your problem could be something completely different. I can tell you I've had a lot more terranx crashes in one week in the scenario editor than I usually have in a month just playing the game.
Old March 16, 2001, 21:59   #3
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 18:09
If I choose the make scenerio option from main menu then I get the flooding problem, the terrain heights only go up to ~1000 rather than 3500, then when you start the game 80% of the map gets flooded.

What I always do is start a new game then go to edit menu and clear the map (making it all ocean). This works for me.
Old March 18, 2001, 22:31   #4
knowhow2
King

Local Time: 06:09
When you clear the map from land, how do get new land without using the "placing/removing landmark" command? Can you put new unity scattered pods somewhere you want it to be (sort making a treacher map with 10-20 pods within 30 square, yummie ) ?
[This message has been edited by knowhow2 (edited March 18, 2001).]
Old March 19, 2001, 00:51   #5
KMadeleine
PolyCast Team
Warlord

Local Time: 01:09
knowhow2:
At the bottom of your screen, where there is usually the M and I buttons, there will also be a T button [bigger than the other two]. Click on that T, and then hold the cursor over the options down there to see what they do. Raise/Lower terrain is the first one, I think, and unity pods are the farthest left on the bottom row, IIRC. Pick a brush size and ctrl-left click with the mouse. My computer is picky with when I release the control, so be patient at first until you figure out it's quirks. What I've learned in the short time I've been doing it is: save early, save often! I keep doing things with the wrong brush size, etc. and the easiest way for me to fix it is to go back to the last time I saved the scenario and try again. So while you're learning, save a lot! Good luck, have fun experimenting with it.

You can make a huge diamond of unity pods with the biggest brush size, and then delete individual pods within the diamond with ctrl-right click with the smallest brush size, I suppose. I don't know how to have them randomly but tightly scatter over a particular area automatically.
Old March 21, 2001, 07:33   #6
knowhow2
King

Local Time: 06:09
kMadeleine,

It worked! Thanx for the advice.