Old February 14, 2003, 23:42   #1
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 19:41
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Massive World Protests Tomorrow
http://news.yahoo.com/fc?tmpl=fc&cid...tiwar_movement

Tomorrow the world will show its unity against a war in Iraq (the UN has already done it). I plan on joining the protests scheduled tomorrow in Logan City What are your plans?
Old February 14, 2003, 23:47   #2
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Local Time: 13:41
I plan to sleep in and perhaps play some games.
Old February 14, 2003, 23:48   #3
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace

Oh bah you.
Old February 14, 2003, 23:49   #4
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 04:41
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Freeze my a** off in downtown Toronto, with all the other "Philosophers for Peace".

Old February 14, 2003, 23:50   #5
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

The sad thing is, my actions will have as much impact on the world as all of the loons dancing nude in the streets with "Save Saddam" t-shirts tied around their waists.
Old February 14, 2003, 23:50   #6
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
The sad thing is, my actions will have as much impact on the world as all of the loons dancing nude in the streets with "Save Saddam" t-shirts.
So? Its still fun to do.

Some friends I have plan on burning 100 US flags
Old February 14, 2003, 23:51   #7
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 15:41
Quote:
What are your plans?
I'm going to buy a new suit and get a haircut for my JET Program interview next Friday. Then I'm probably going to do some homework before going out and getting pissed. The bars should be a lot more fun with all the hippies occupied elsewhere.
Old February 14, 2003, 23:53   #8
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Burning the US flag is woeful lack of sensitivity to the ultimate target audience of these protests: the American people. Bush will keep his foot on the accelerator if he knows the American people are behind him, as he does now.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old February 14, 2003, 23:54   #9
Nubclear

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
Burning the US flag is woeful lack of sensitivity to the ultimate audience of these protests: the American people. Bush will keep his foot on the accelerator if he knows the American people are behind him, as he does now.
The American people have already voiced their opinion: No war without UN backing.
Old February 14, 2003, 23:54   #10
DanS
Deity

War without the UN, but with select allies, has 57% support.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old February 14, 2003, 23:55   #11
Nubclear

Quote:
War without the UN, but with select allies, has 57% support.
Really?

Though it is expected that support for war will rise during the weeks after the State of the Union.
Old February 14, 2003, 23:57   #12
DanS
Deity

Yep, really. Realize that this is much higher support than Bush I had in Gulf War I.

Who has been spreading this misinformation about the support Bush has among the American people?
Old February 15, 2003, 00:01   #13
Seneca
King

I guess the select allies would principally involve Britain - but Blair has made it politically impossible for himself to join in without a second UN resolution.
Old February 15, 2003, 00:05   #14
DanS
Deity

We'll see. He has certainly taken political risks. He might just bite the bullet and hope for a good outcome in the war.
Old February 15, 2003, 00:16   #15
Seneca
King

He's made commitments and 'forgotten' them before now, to be sure - but never at such a politically supercharged moment.

I remain optimistic that, even assuming he's only out for himself (assumed in most cases more often than is strictly fair), the potential diplomatic damage caused by a rift with Washington will be dwarfed by the political damage at home if he goes in without the UN.
Old February 15, 2003, 00:17   #16
DuncanK
Warlord

Local Time: 11:41
I don't know what I will do. I'm against the war, but probably not enough to go protest. I seriously doubt that the majority of Americans support this war.
Old February 15, 2003, 00:22   #17
DanS
Deity

The number to topple Hussein through military means is 66%, with 46% strongly supporting. You've been reading Apolyton too much.
Old February 15, 2003, 00:40   #18
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 14:41
I'll be at the protest tomorrow.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old February 15, 2003, 00:45   #19
David Floyd
Emperor

My mom doesn't even support this war, and she's about as fundamentalist conservative pro-Bush as they come.
Old February 15, 2003, 01:07   #20
Kyle
Prince

Ah, the voices of irrelevance will be heard. As well as the voices of hypocrisy. I'd bet money that there won't be an anti-Saddam posters (as he's the one who would be causing war) at any of these protest.

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc
Old February 15, 2003, 01:12   #21
David Floyd
Emperor

How is Saddam causing the war, when clearly the US is the one building up to invade? That's nonsensical. That's like saying the Poles caused WW2 by not surrendering to Hitler.
Old February 15, 2003, 01:12   #22
DuncanK
Warlord

Local Time: 11:41
Quote:
The number to topple Hussein through military means is 66%, with 46% strongly supporting. You've been reading Apolyton too much.
No, I've seen the polls. I've never seen the numbers that you give. I would like to know what polls these are.
Old February 15, 2003, 01:21   #23
DanS
Deity

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...data021103.htm

See questions 7 and 9.
Old February 15, 2003, 01:23   #24
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 04:41
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Asher
The sad thing is, my actions will have as much impact on the world as all of the loons dancing nude in the streets with "Save Saddam" t-shirts tied around their waists.
Don't be so defeatist. Politicians don't completely ignore these things. If enough people make it clear they are opposed, there will be mild compromises made, which is better than nothing. No reasonable person expects that the revolution will start tomorrow, but I know what would definitely happen if everyone stayed indoors.

Witness Chretien's commitment of more troops to Afghanistan. It virtually means that Canada will not send troops to an Iraq war (or so I have heard). The obvious reason for his doing so is that most Canadians don't like the idea of a war against Iraq.
Old February 15, 2003, 01:28   #25
Asher
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
President of the OT

Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon
Don't be so defeatist. Politicians don't completely ignore these things.
Bush doesn't care one way or another what you or anyone else thinks...

Quote:
Witness Chretien's commitment of more troops to Afghanistan. It virtually means that Canada will not send troops to an Iraq war (or so I have heard). The obvious reason for his doing so is that most Canadians don't like the idea of a war against Iraq.
Chretien is playing Canadians for fools. He's delaying, but he will send. Every day they hint more at it.
Old February 15, 2003, 02:20   #26
Kyle
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by David Floyd
How is Saddam causing the war, when clearly the US is the one building up to invade? That's nonsensical. That's like saying the Poles caused WW2 by not surrendering to Hitler.

Ignoring ones feelings toward the UN and whether they have a right to demand disarmament, Iraq is in violation of UN resolutions. His refusal to disarm is causing this.

~Lisa as Jeanne d'Arc
Old February 15, 2003, 02:24   #27
David Floyd
Emperor

Quote:
Iraq is in violation of UN resolutions.
So if the UN demanded the US disarm, and the US ignored them, then if the UN attacked us the US would be at fault?
Old February 15, 2003, 02:30   #28
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Good fantasy David. How exactly would the Sec Council ever pass that US disarm resolution considering the US has a veto? Not to mention the UN rarely, if ever, demands any state disarms.

But, that's OK. Keep on keeping on in your twisted views of whatever the world should do so as not to inconvenience you yourself personally.
Old February 15, 2003, 02:33   #29
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

btw, I'll go to work tomorrow. I'll spare a thought for the twots demonstrating in a foot of snow in DC. Then I'll most likely fart.
Old February 15, 2003, 02:34   #30
LoneWolf
Settler

So do you all think that we all should be continuing to supply aid to all of these countries opposing us? Because we are, by far, the largest grantor of foriegn aid, I'm sure you know.