View Poll Results: ELECTION: Term 3 President
Mapfi 5 35.71%
Martin Gühmann 8 57.14%
abstain/don't care 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 15, 2003, 09:36   #1
Gilgamensch
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 20:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
ELECTION: Term 3 President
ELECTION: Term 3 President

Dear Apolemurians,

this election is to vote for a new President, who will serve one month in office.

We have two persons competing for this office:
Mapfi
Martin Gühmann

Therefore the poll will have three options, with the meaning:

Mapfi = You want to elect Mapfi as our President
Martin Gühmann = You want to elect Martin as our President
Abstain = You don't care.

This poll will expire in 5 days on the 20th February 2003, 14:00 GMT.

In the name of our constitution and the name of our people, Senior Justice Gilgamensch
Old February 15, 2003, 09:44   #2
mapfi
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II Multiplayer
Prince

Fellow Lemurs and Lemurians (whatever you think applies to you...)

The most important part of the President's job is keeping the game running. Everyone usually present on this forum knows that I'm on Apolyton daily. I'm certain I can speed things up. I will give you more turn chats and more turns played. I have several ideas on how to inform the public better and on how to make my ministers perform better.

As for the ingame powers the president holds I can tell you this: Sliders should be maxed unless it's absolutely necessary to improve happiness, PW will stay at 0% as long as the Austrian threat is imminent (though I'm convinved we need to invest as soon as we can afford to cut production), science will always get the best percentage of our income. Our gold should only be spent on diplomacy if we can except a highly favourable effect, and we should only rushbuy to advert an ultimately imminent threat.
Old February 15, 2003, 13:27   #3
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Local Time: 21:43
The most important part of the President job's is not only playing the game but also keeping the game running as already styted by mapfi. In forum presence between us there should be no difference. For more turn chats I doubt that it is possible to hold everyday one turn chat. The OFFICIAL: Shall we go to war with Austria? thread is a good example here it was open for three days and I think the three days period was needed so that every citizien was able to find his opinion if he wasn't shure. So we see here an example of Democracy. Democracy is a high good but it needs also time and patience so that everyone is able to make up his mind and as able to find the truth. So if there is a suprise event in the game and it needs a poll then some time is needed to find the right conclusion. That was the one hand on the other hand the same example shows us that there is still some room for improvement, the war with Austrian wasn't a suprise decission and was already discussed, before the turn chat that came to that situation right before a possible attack. The issure had been disscussed and polled before already.

The slider settimgs for the next turns should be maxed out. If this leads to high problems (e.g. not growing small towns like Mapfipolis) then I favour to give our people some more food temporary. As we can not accept a loss of production or science, science is needed to invent new technologies that give us new kinds of units that will help us in the ongoing war with the Austrians and new Governments like Monarchy, that will improve our science raise the city cap etc. So far I don't see any need to waste our gold to rush buy units as the production time in our high production cities is low.

It would be optimal to build the Ramajana, but it is still questionable if it is wise to do so. As we are right now in a war with the Austrians and we need all of our unit production capacity, to reduce the Austrian threat and I doubt the Austrians will accept very soon a ceasefire, therefore we have to continue the war whether we want whether we don't want. Of course the continuation depends on the opportunity and the will of the Lemurian people.

-Martin
Old February 15, 2003, 14:40   #4
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 12:43
I can tell this is going to be a hard choice.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old February 15, 2003, 15:31   #5
mapfi
Prince

Well, there's not much I can add to my original statement or reply to Martin's...

I can assure you that I don't intend to rush the game but just to speed it up. E.g. last week when I wanted to hold another chat, a few felt that it was too early - tat's why it wasn't held, even though there weren't even polls up at that time. Nevertheless I think it's certainly possible to usually have two chats a week. Furthermore I'm thinking about a non-chat way to get some additional turns done. As I also said, I want to inform the public better about the current state of the game, especially those who don't owe the game. Furthermore I'll press all ministers to appoint a delegate or two, so missing orders won't hold up the game unnecessarily.

I already have a lot experience in chats and in playing the game as Pedrunn's delegate, that's why I think I'm the person most suited for this job.
Old February 15, 2003, 15:49   #6
Martin Gühmann
staff
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Super Moderator

Well I see no problem here to accelerate the game a little bit, as far as it is possible but I think to do it it is very difficuilt, of course to make all the ministers to post their orders and appoint deligates help. The problem with a non chat way to play the game is that you need detailed orders of course these can be given, but if you are running out of orders you shouldn't continue. The amount of turns we played last chat are played in a non turn chat way much faster, but here the number of turns is really limited. I think to accelerate the game game would be to accelerate the turn chat a little bit.

-Martin
Old February 15, 2003, 18:59   #7
HuangShang
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 12:43
uh has anyone voted yet, are they both APP?
Old February 15, 2003, 19:13   #8
mapfi
Prince

I don't belong to either party and neither does Martin, if I remember correctly.
I don't believe in party politics anyway.
Old February 15, 2003, 21:43   #9
Pedrunn
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 16:43
No opinion for now

I have a prefersnce but I need to think more
-Jean Rostand
Old February 17, 2003, 17:29   #10
child of Thor
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Emperor

Local Time: 19:43
This is a real tuff choice! I know both would do a great job(in any position on the DG i'm sure). I actually can't decide so i'm going to revert to that time honoured tradition. Where is my coin........ok it's a 1pence coin(small and brown) um......
Heads for Martin
Tails for Mapfi

(tosses coin - i actually did ) and it is.......heads.
Sorry Mapfi
Nice one Martin

How did the world get by before coins?
'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.
Old February 17, 2003, 17:35   #11
mapfi
Prince

**** coin

I really can't think of anything more to post, maybe looking at all my other posts can help in any decission.
Anyway - people will just have to choose whoever they think fits and will perform best.
Old February 17, 2003, 18:34   #12
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

This IS a tough choice...

Both are excellent candidates.

On the one hand I fear mapfi wants to go too fast (last week was a prime example: the only reason we didn't play was because Turambar didn't show up) with this game, but on the other hand I certainly would like to see those ideas on playing in between chats, better informing the public and improving minister performance (which are all highly needed).

Mapfi has experience at being President (and did an outstanding job), Martin knows this game like noone else (it's his mod, after all).

I'm slightly leaning towards mapfi, based on his innovativeness, but only slightly. For now I'll refrain from voting...
Old February 17, 2003, 20:01   #13
mapfi
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
On the one hand I fear mapfi wants to go too fast (last week was a prime example: the only reason we didn't play was because Turambar didn't show up) with this game
I think you're wrong about that. The last turnchat has perfectly shown that we could have played those 3 turns last week already and that's all I had in mind. Instead, we've spent almost a week discussing without results because ministers didn't participate. We're actually still debating the same things because the game hasn't moved on. Even more, right now there's no debate about the game going on at all!!! I don't know about the rest of you guys but right now I'm missing a lot of fun here.

Let me assure you that I won't rush the game - but I certainly won't allow a pace of 3 turns a week to take place.

Last edited by mapfi; February 17, 2003 at 20:07.
Old February 17, 2003, 20:15   #14
Turambar
Call to Power II Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCall to Power Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Dam tough choice......
Old February 17, 2003, 20:30   #15
miggio
Call to Power Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy Game
Warlord

personally i would like to see at least 9 turns a week but that just me.

I dont know who too choose...
Old February 18, 2003, 00:34   #16
Pedrunn
King

My preference was mapfi and my candidate is mapfi.

Although he rushed too much last week (two day, two chat really is too much) I voted him for single reasons. Mapfi has showed up more in the game chat. So he is more avaiable to make chats. Not to mention the experience. And i like his ideas

Quote:
Even more, right now there's no debate about the game going on at all!!! I don't know about the rest of you guys but right now I'm missing a lot of fun here.
If you feel that imagine how the President feels
-Jean Rostand
Old February 18, 2003, 03:14   #17
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

That's not *entirely* fair, Pedrunn. If Martin is chosen President, he gets to pick the time for the chats and he'll be able to adapt it to his schedule. So far you may well just have picked all the wrong times for him, but if he's Prez he can pick all the right times.
Old February 18, 2003, 04:03   #18
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 07:43
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Martin. Simple.

His mod.
Old February 19, 2003, 09:17   #19
mapfi
Prince

I hope some more people vote in this election, 1 day to go and turn-out is only 3/4 of the last election.

Of course I also hope people vote for me because I'd really like to do this job and do have more than enough time to devote to it since uni doesn't start till the end of March again.
Old February 19, 2003, 09:33   #20
Gilgamensch
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Less people voted in here than in some other ongoing election's.

That is strange !!!!!!!!!!!
Old February 19, 2003, 10:00   #21
Zaphod Beeblebrox
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Gilgamensch
Less people voted in here than in some other ongoing election's.

That is strange !!!!!!!!!!!
might just indicate, some people haven't made their decision yet. nothung wrong with that. what concerns me more, is that only a small group of our citizens is participating in elections, debates, etc. at all
Old February 19, 2003, 10:05   #22
Gilgamensch
King

As somebody already mentioned, 'halve' of the members are not known. Maybe we should restart a page where everyone can tell a little bit about himself, reason why participating and so on?
Old February 20, 2003, 09:52   #23
mapfi
Prince

Congrats Martin!

Of course I'm rather disappointed...

Anyway, I won't be available for any delegate position this term, it wouldn't feel right and I'm rather tired of stepping in for people who don't have time.
Old February 20, 2003, 09:55   #24
Pedrunn
King

Re: ELECTION: Term 3 President
Quote:
Originally posted by Gilgamensch
This poll will expire in 5 days on the 20th February 2003, 14:00 GMT.
You still have 3 hours mapfi. I am still hope you will win
-Jean Rostand
Old February 20, 2003, 09:57   #25
mapfi
Prince

nope, the poll closed 30 innutes ago... too bad
Old February 20, 2003, 10:07   #26
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Actually the poll closed slightly earlier than it should have done according to the Senior Justice's post: its EXACTLY 3 days from the Senior Justices' post presenting the poll, since there is no option for minutes in setting the poll. Senior Justice's in future should say 3 days from post time.
Old February 20, 2003, 11:09   #27
Locutus
Deity

Dammit, I thought I still had time...

Well, mapfi, if it's any consolation, I would have voted for you...

Congrats Martin!
Old February 20, 2003, 11:10   #28
Gilgamensch
King

Election is finished.

Martin my congratulation.

(PS, sorry for the slight delay)