View Poll Results: ELECTION: Term 3 Minister of Domestic Affairs
Yes 10 58.82%
No 7 41.18%
abstain/don't care 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 17, 2003, 02:39   #61
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Local Time: 14:43
Local Date: November 1, 2010
i guess we get to debate the meaning of the word "their"

It's possesive, meaning tamerlin himself has to announce his candidacy.

And for that reason zaphod cannot make the official nomination.

And as for Zaphod announcing the candidacy, that's a bold faced lie. He only nominated him, that's not an announcement of candidacy.
Old February 17, 2003, 09:57   #62
Gilgamensch
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 20:43
Some clarification from my side, to hope to stop it once and for ever:

The connie says:

Quote:

All citizens who wish to be candidates for an office must publicly express their nomination in this thread.
This sentence breaks down to:

1.) The grammar used is active, meaning the citizens himself has to post and not on behalve of somebody else, otherwise it would be passive grammer: to BE nominated.
2.) And already pointed out by H Tower, it is THEIR nomination.

This leaves no open room for this kind of discussion. As Tamerlin has not nominated himself in this thread, he isn't able to run for this office. Before starting the election poll I considered to include Tamerlin into the election, out of the same reason as mentioned by others: In the best interrest of the game. BUT, as the court has to decide upon the constitution and NOT the game, I reread the scentence couple of times and decided not to include him, as this would have been a violation of the constitution and therefore being a breach of it. People could argue, that my point of view is biased, but I actually tried to call him to urge him to post, to still include him.

My decision was based on the constitution and nothing else.

Calls from Zaphod and other supports to vote NO are not really what we should have here. If you don't 'like' the person running for the office, that's fine. It still shouldn't have an outcome to your voting. The main reason to vote NO, is if you think, he will not be able to make proper decisions or is unable to fullfill the job, he is supposed to be elected for.
But only because citizens think, we should make a re-run for the election, because 'their' candidate had not been included, because of a 'minor' mistake, are actually working against our DG, as they are interfering with the normal election process, rather then acting in the best interrest of the game.

This might sound unreasonable or rough, but having the election being disturbed by this, is not a good choice.

Please don't argue further in this thread, open a new thread, if you really want to continue.
Old February 17, 2003, 10:46   #63
Zaphod Beeblebrox
Call to Power II Democracy Game
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Gilgamensch
Calls from Zaphod and other supports to vote NO are not really what we should have here.
i never said so

Quote:
Originally posted by Gilgamensch

Please don't argue further in this thread, open a new thread, if you really want to continue.
since tamerlin has choosen not to go to court, there is no need anymore to argue in this specific case. nevertheless, i feel the con rather vagues here, and believe it can be interpreted in different ways
Old February 17, 2003, 10:57   #64
Gilgamensch
Call to Power II Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code Project
King

As I said, I don't want to continue and I DID read all posts:

so Zaphod:

Quote:
posted By Zaphod (page1)
if gilgamensch won't close this poll and open a correct one during the next 24 hours, the app will have to impeach him. its a shame those people try to turn our young democracy into a military dictature.
You didn't ??????

Quote:

i never said so
Quote:
since tamerlin has choosen not to go to court, there is no need anymore to argue in this specific case. nevertheless, i feel the con rather vagues here, and believe it can be interpreted in different ways
That is why I outlined the above (previous post). It isn't vague. but let's keep this poll for the ELECTION, please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old February 17, 2003, 11:04   #65
Zaphod Beeblebrox
King

i never said, one should vote no on this poll, for the reason that you didn't include tamerlin as a candidate. you said, you read all the posts, nevertheless, you don't find a quote of me saying so. so stop accusing me of saying something, i never said.
Old February 17, 2003, 11:14   #66
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 19:43
I would like to state my intention, should any more off topic discussion, take place, that I will request that the court take action.

Any person wishing to discuss nomination issues should find an appropriate thread to do so. I.E. not this one.

I feel that such continued discussion falls perilously close to contributing to a violation of I.2

MrBaggins
Old February 17, 2003, 11:26   #67
Zaphod Beeblebrox
King

actually, i can't see any off-topic in this thread at all. and though i fairly agree, the discussion about whether this election accords to the con or not, isn't necessary any more in here, since tamerlin redraw, i still will defend, if i'm accused.
Old February 17, 2003, 11:32   #68
Tamerlin
Call to Power II Democracy GameCTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 21:43
Keep quiet Gentlemen!

I will nor bring the case before the court nor continue to argue on the Constitution.

I had already voted NO before I decided not to open a file though I have never asked anybody to vote this way.

I can only say that I should have waited until my final decision on this issue and I would have abstained or voted YES because MrBaggins will actually be a very able Minister of Domestic Affairs.

Proverb of the day: Think twice before you act.
Old February 17, 2003, 11:49   #69
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Or don't think at all. Instincts are often right, and thougts merely confuse them.
Old February 17, 2003, 11:55   #70
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

As of 17-02-2003 15:41GMT I filled an injunction against further offtopic discussion in this thread

/me winks

Last edited by MrBaggins; February 17, 2003 at 12:15.
Old February 17, 2003, 20:58   #71
miggio
Call to Power Democracy GameCall to Power II Democracy Game
Warlord

too mush to read... Mrbaggins wins my vote because he filed an injunction

ya! go MrBaggins!!!
Old February 20, 2003, 11:15   #72
Gilgamensch
King

Election is over.

Congratulations MrBaggins.
Old February 20, 2003, 11:18   #73
Tamerlin
King

Congratulations MrBaggins, as I already wrote it earlier I am convinced you will be a very able Minister of Domestic Affairs.
Old February 20, 2003, 12:34   #74
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

I would like to thank the electorate for their perseverance, during what initially was a very confused election, and ultimately their kind support.

I shall endevor to take this mandate, to bring the nation of Lemuria to productive greatness.

Tamerlin> you should note, that I have, as promised, included you as delegate for MoDA, since in a perfect world, with a few things having been different, you would have been on the ballot.

MrBaggins
Old February 20, 2003, 12:55   #75
Pedrunn
King

Local Time: 16:43
congrats baggins. The first thing that comes to my mind when hearing 'Domestic Affairs' is your name
-Jean Rostand
Old February 20, 2003, 12:57   #76
Tamerlin
King

Thank you for your trust MrBaggins.

Do I have to accept personally the appointment as delegate?

I am given to teasing today!
Old February 20, 2003, 13:02   #77
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

yes, and you have to do iit standing on one foot, whilst singing your national anthem in the next 8 minutes after this post

/me winks
Old February 20, 2003, 14:25   #78
Tamerlin
King

Damn, once again its too late!

Old February 25, 2003, 02:05   #79
Dale
Emperor

Local Time: 05:43
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Zaphod:

BTW, just on the War Party and the election of MrBaggins as Chairman. As the founder of the WP, I didn't set out to kill democracy by having too much democracy. This is what would happen if everyone had to vote on every single little detail. I believe, and stand by it, that the WP did not need to waste the forums time, space or efforts to run an election thread for one candidate. And since political parties operate OUTSIDE OF THE CONSTITUTION, there quite simply is nothing you can do about it. I never heard of any complaining by WP members about MrBaggins taking over as chairman.

So would you like to kill democracy by having too much democracy? Remember, as a politician you should know this rule for democracies:

"Society is stupid. If they feel like they're in a democracy, then they believe they are."
Old February 28, 2003, 06:10   #80
Zaphod Beeblebrox
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Dale
Zaphod:

..., there quite simply is nothing you can do about it. I never heard of any complaining by WP members about MrBaggins taking over as chairman.
well, the wp is for sure free to "elect" their leaders in any way they are happy with. thats your business, but i find it interesting at least nethertheless