Old October 21, 2001, 03:25   #31
Ned
King

Local Time: 21:09
Local Date: October 30, 2010
For any who really think economic victory is easy, disable all other modes of victory, take Yang, and have Morgan as an opponent.

Leave random events on. Energy market crashes will just kill you.

Ned
Old October 21, 2001, 03:50   #32
yavoon
Warlord

Local Time: 05:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
wouldn't yang's fastest economic victory be conquer, then buy out the last of the bases? I don't think its all that hard actually. now if u mean like, don't fight, be yang, disable all other victories and leave random events on, then yah. might as well make map huge, put all the ai's on builder. give urself a real headache.
Old October 21, 2001, 04:06   #33
Scipio Centaurus
Prince

Wiping out all opposition to the last base and then buying the base for an economic victory? A real esteem bulder that!
Old October 26, 2001, 10:21   #34
Gregurabi
Prince

I've never seen this defiance... I didn't even know it was possible! (It must have something to do with atrocities; I generally don't commit any.)

(And since I don't have a printed manual, I've never read it all the way through. I hate PDF files. The Linux version of SMAC/SMAX shipped without the printed manuals, for those of you who didn't know....)
My normal means of victory is Diplomatic. I consider that the default method of ending a game (other than just to stop playing because you're bored). If you don't feel like taking over those last half-dozen scattered sea bases, you just elect yourself Supreme Leader, et voila.

I did an economic victory once, as Morgan, in one of the builder-challenge games where speed of victory was considered the objective. Random events were on, and I had to suffer through a market crash and a solar flare that wiped out my energy sats. (It also took a while to get the tech for it, since blind research was on....) But I kept the troops in the field and kept conquering enemy bases to bring the cost down, then went for it.
Old February 19, 2002, 09:41   #35
knowhow2
King

Local Time: 06:09
bump^
Old February 21, 2002, 06:28   #36
King_Kristian
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:09
Diplomatic victory is actually just as easy as Conquest.
Just kick some ssa (read backwards, (to avoid censoring))
and have the other factions surrender to you and then call an election for the planetary leader or whatever it is called.
Old February 21, 2002, 23:56   #37
Blacken
Settler

Local Time: 00:09
Hehe...

...I actually, in an odd state of affairs, find that Planet Busters /ARE/ the reason I love economic victories.

Case in point:
A game on Thinker level. I was the Spartans, as I needed a challenge (I just steamroll the AI with Yang or Morgan.) Went along about 130 turns, in which I burned down Ol' Biblethumper, sandblasted Zakharov, and beat up poor Morgan enough to make him submit. I then gave him a bunch of bases to up my overall power (I can make bases a lot faster than Morgan, ya know?) I then ingratiated myself to Deirdre and Yang, getting Pacts from both of them. I then, being the sneaky bastid I am, sent a couple Elite probe teams after Yang's bases, and set up EVERYONE ELSE for the fall: Peacekeepers, Morganites, and Gaians. Now, the Gaians and the Hive were on a continent along with the University (former University, that is) with a few bases of mine. I got myself elected Governor and repealed the charter (easier on my strategy later). I sent a few transport foils and beat up on Yang's bases with X Impact Squads, one of the reasons I blew away the charter, and took three of his four bases, Deirdre getting the other one. (Man, she's a mean lady. She used more Nerve Gas than I did!)

Now, I was in a quandary. I was up to Fusion Power. I began to work up a few mindworms, getting 2 great boils and a demon boil against native life. But the problem was that Deirdre was pacted with Lal, who had a pretty nice force of his own. I then used everyone's favorite probe teams and set Lal up for the fall, then rolled in on Deirdre with my units, and started the economic victory about 2350. Only problem was, with all this warring, I couldn't corner the market. So I fixed the problem:

PLANET BUSTERS!

I bombed Gaia's Landing and three other bases with a PB, and took out a couple more with another. Then came in my mindworms, but Empaths and Trances took them out. I nervegassed her bases and moved in, leaving her with one little sea base with 1 population.

Morgan then broke the pact. I introduced him to quantum PBs, leaving him with one base. I tried to corner the market again, and did so.

This may be an exceptional circumstance, and probably is. But PBs are the marvelous way to shrink the costs of economic victory.