Old February 15, 2003, 19:09   #1
Txurce
Prince

Local Time: 19:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Deity for beginners: no wars, no frills.
FOREWORD

I'm still playing with version 1.21 on my Mac, which means I've migrated to the more Mac-popular CFC site. I have played enough deity games where I won with an early rush and a late charge for the ToE that I wanted to try something different. Inspired by some of Charis' games and Aeson's expansionist method, I decided to try a game where I would avoid war altogether. So as to mirror Aeson's early strategy, I chose Russia, which also has the handy scientific trait.

ANCIENT ERA

My first three builds in Moscow were scouts, followed by a settler. I set research at zero, technically on the alphabet. The scouts netted me two techs, and early contact with the four other European civs on the continent. This gave me the tech lead until about midway through the ancient era, when the AI suddenly moved ahead. I was able to buy one tech and trade it for two, then research polytheism and trade it for the three techs that launched me into the Middle Ages in 1625BC - the research leader thanks to the bonus tech, monotheism. However, I had only three cities, two with granaries, and the third building one. Two were size one, the third size three with a settler on the way. They were hooked up to ivory and iron resources, and a settler was heading north to found a coastal city near two more ivory resources. The territory was mediocre, although four of my first five cities didn't need aqueducts. I had four workers, three of them bought. And the military consisted of two spears, one sword, and one warrior - all regulars.

THE MIDDLE AGES

The Middle Ages were similar to the ancient era. I may have averted a Roman invasion by offering currency, and paid tribute throughout the game to all of the continental powers. I expanded where possible in my corner of the continent - seven cities - and built two cities in the opposite northeast end, which became the de facto global colonization area. Because this area bordered England and France - it was big enough to merit another civ - these two nations became dominant. After building temples and a couple of markets, I switched to republic. There was gunpowder near my core cities, and my two colonial cities provided horses and a second iron - but I was never able to trade this, and continued to operate with only the majority of ivory as a tradeable resource. Contact was established with Japan and China, who were on a small continent, and India, which had its own island. I was able to trade them techs, and worked my way through the medieval era with next to no military, and zero research except for theology, and the printing press (which came too late). This research was accomplished with a scientist. The combination of theology, trade and gold - and constant diplomacy to miss no opportunities - took me into the industrial era in first place in research with the French, thanks to the nationalism bonus. The date was 90BC: early enough that of my seven original cities two were building banks, the others markets (with the two colonial cities basically corrupt).

THE INDUSTRIAL ERA

My original borders barely encompassed a coal resource. (This was to be the last resource that would appear within my borders. And my borders shrunk when Sevastopol flipped to the English.) I bought electricity, traded for medicine, then bought scientific method from the French, which put me in excellent position to snare the ToE. I started a prebuild, then watched with horror as someone built US, leading the French to switch (and build) the ToE in 490AD, a few turns after researching it. I had missed the classic space-race turning point, but felt I still had a chance. I banked on the fact that no AI civ ever maintains a big tech lead over its brethren, and if I could continue to insert myself into the tech market, I would catch up along with the AI. This proved to be the case. I built Wall Street, gambled by building a third colonial city on the English border to steal one of their oil resources. (The oil would go almost unused.) I obtained rubber from the backward Japs for tech, but never used it for centuries. In this era, I researched nothing, because there were plenty of opportunities to buy a tech and trade it for another. I entered the modern era in 710AD with ten cities, only one a size 12, my core cities defended by one rifleman each (the colonials shared a single swordsman).

THE MODERN AGE

The French researched rocketry before I switched eras, but I traded it twice, then focused on ecology. This allowed me to buy and trade for space flight and the first-tier techs... which revealed I lacked both aluminum and uranium. The French charged me an exorbitant amount for aluminum, which I paid just to build the Apollo program. Things seemed bleak, as the French were the biggest civ, and their first two modern techs were rocketry and space flight.

Then war finally came. The French attacked China, then drew every continental civ into a war against England. This helped a lot, although not enough. The French switched to communism, and their alliance slowly ground the British into extinction. (The war was decided in the northeast corner, where the British military leaders were abominable, walking their infantry in circles while the French and Germans hit them from two sides.)

My cities had upgraded to infantry, built several tanks, and about 20 artillery for a modicum of defense. Once I had Apollo, I built every possible ss part. I bought satellites, and discovered that the AI had researched everything except synthetic fibers. Employing my standard buy and trade 2-for-1 approach, I found myself caught up except for the laser, fibers, and uranium. In the meantime, I built one new city to my east on former English territory, and another city far to the east with a rubber resource. This gave me 12 cities, a strained budget, and the sick feeling that France could launch at any time.

But the French declared war on Germany instead. I bought the laser and uranium from India, and tried to trade that tech to Germany for synthetic fibers. But the Germans wanted more than I had, so I had to wait, turn after turn, as my gold reserves built up. Disaster struck when my aluminum deal with France expired, preventing me from building any more ss parts.

The game was over, unless I stretched my no-war rule limitation the slightest bit. The end of the French deal gave me enough gold to acquire fibers from the Germans. I had already prebuilt all three parts I needed. Now I took a settler and marched him to a French aluminum resource, two squares from its city, on the Roman border. The French were mining it. I waited until they finished, then built a city on it. This activated my last prebuild - the lounge - and my ss was finished. The French declared war, took both this resource city and my three eastern cities... but the game was over. I launched in 1320.

SUMMARY

This is by far my earliest launch, and the earliest I have seen in my games, even by the AI on deity. France could have launched around 1250. I can only explain this by saying that there were a lot of research-minded civs in the game, world peace until the modern era, and that I sped research along by trading.

My advantages in this game were the Russian traits, which meant scouts and three bonus techs; one luxury resource; and iron, coal and (unused) gunpowder in my general starting location. It also helped that all the civs were alive and trading going into the modern era.

I played with a significant number of limitations. My territory had a river, but was otherwise pretty arid. No war ended up meaning no GA, no great wonders (including the ToE), and a worthless FP (built just south of Moscow after missing the ToE). I also had only one luxury resource, and no aluminum and uranium (or rubber until near the end).

This only serves to confirm that it is possible to be technologically competitive throughout the game, without any bonuses to speak of, if you don't let the tech race get out of hand. It required nothing more than the occasional researching of the unpopular tech, and the buying of one tech to trade for another, which effectively cut the price in half. To do this, I needed to contact the other civs every single turn, and then calculate how to make the best deal. This took patience, but not much else. I consider the result to be very encouraging for the builder who feels he can't play above monarch or emperor.

The map is the turn the French built the ToE in 490AD.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	490ad.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	37060  
Old February 16, 2003, 08:27   #2
yxhuvud
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:45
Great game!

It is painfully obvious what version you are playing though, with 1.29 the ai's became a lot less wanting to share their techonological advances.
Old February 16, 2003, 09:12   #3
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 21:45
Hey, good to see you again Txurce, sure I can't interested/cinvince you in buying a PC
Old February 16, 2003, 11:17   #4
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:45
Nice game, but yxhuvud is right: 1.21 was notorious for ease and cheapness of tech trading (not to mention Worker-buying). I'm not doubting, however, that peaceful Deity wins are possible with 1.29 or even PTW (which is your message), just saying that they're a lot more difficult.

Dominae
Old February 16, 2003, 11:54   #5
Txurce
Prince

You could very well be right about the lack of applicability of tech trading in 1.21 with 1.29. My second-hand knowledge of the difference is that it's harder for human and AI alike to buy techs cheaply. This implies to me that falling behind technologically by an age couldn't be addressed anywhere nearly as easily by buying all those old techs on the cheap. In my game, however, I bought techs as soon as two AI had them - sometimes only the tech leader - and then traded it for another tech. Wouldn't this principle apply to 1.29, in that you pay more than you did in 1.21 for a tech, but then trade it for more as well?

Then there's the issue of research: isn't it more possible to hold your own in research on 1.29... meaning that the human deity player could pick up an extra tech or two for trade in this manner?

Interestingly, while there's no official 1.29 Mac version on deck, Cracker & Co. are working on a way of synchronizing the Mac 1.21 version with the PC 1.29 version, at least with regard to GOTMs, if not for general all-around play. Once I've had a chance to play with this version of 1.29, I'll be a lot more clear on the differences, and will try this experiment again.
Old February 16, 2003, 13:50   #6
BRC
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Local Time: 13:45
Txurce: It's good to see another piece of your work around here, and really nice to see a different approach to a very complicated situation. Sorry you're stuck with 1.21. I didn't play when that was available, so I have no comment on it. Even though you're stuck over at CFC now, I think we all appreciate these posts. Keep bringing them.
Old February 17, 2003, 04:41   #7
David Murray
Prince

How on earth did you manage to get technology so quickly? banks in 90BC, theory of evolution in 490AD? Absolutely incredible!
Old February 17, 2003, 07:11   #8
Hurricane
Warlord

He didn't. The AI did.

You should really try deity some time, David Murray. It's like a whole other game.
Old February 17, 2003, 09:56   #9
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Hurricane

You should really try deity some time, David Murray. It's like a whole other game.
You can drop "like" "

My last deity attempt, I hit modern around 700 or 800 AD
Old February 17, 2003, 11:52   #10
Txurce
Prince

David Murray:

Hurricane and Alva are right. This happens to have been the fastest I have ever seen the AI research on deity - their best launch in my other deity games is 1465. However, there's little comparison between an emperor and deity game, in terms of how the human experiences research rate. You could say that deity is about finding a way to ride the research wave before the wave swamps you.

Buying and trading tech may well be more difficult on 1.29, as others noted. Regardless, it's how you respond to the AI's speed on deity that determines whether you can be competitive or not. It's hard to build banks in 90BC with any game version, and the only way I could do so was by not building seeming essentials - like a military, for example. I described my game in some detail to illustrate a different method that allows you to remain close in tech throughout the game, without many assets. There are other approaches, and again, 1.29 is different in some ways. But my growing sense is that the AI can be beaten on deity by any number of approaches, most of them quite doable by solid players - the key with any approach is not to be scared off by the wave, not to hesitate on how to navigate it, and to stay focused for the entire, gnarly ride.
Old February 18, 2003, 04:43   #11
David Murray
Prince

I can't even begin to imagine what playing at Deity is like. At 90AD I am usually fighting my first war and have probably not yet researched Monarchy, and this is on Monarch! If I ever played at Deity I would attack my neighbours with a dozen swordsmen, thinking I had a good chance, only to find they had cities defended by musketmen or riflemen. What a prospect....
Old February 18, 2003, 07:14   #12
yxhuvud
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:45
The last deity game I played, the ai's were totally peaceful, and had an enourmous research rate. I lagged behind though, and hadn't either horses or Iron, so warring was impossible. I was becoming more and more afriad of the ai's doing ultra-early spaceship win. Then, in the end of the industrial age (france entered the modern a few turns after) war broke out, in about 700AD.

I do not speak small war either. I talk global war, with everyone (except me) in war with three or four opponents. The war slowed down the research ratio.

Each of the three superpowers; France, England and Korea, lacked at least one important resource. England lacked rubber and was slowly eliminated by Korea and India. France was bogged down with warring with China, India and the Koreans (the whole war started with Korea declaring against France) and thus couldn't expand.

While Korea got most of Englands cities, they ignored building culture improvements despite having some 60000 cash, giving me an excellet change of expanding, which I also did. I maintained peace with everyone, and trade relations as well. I had my fair share of resources and luxuries, whihc I traded. However, after about 1000 years of constant fighting, of some reason my trade agreements with france broke down, and I couldn't see why, so I buyed an update to my world map, and this is what I saw:

[hmm.. seems that I failed to get the img to work, just follow the link instead, then]

http://www-und.ida.liu.se/~linse428/nuked.JPG

This shot does not include all the mess there was, but you get the idea. This is only the beginning though, at the end of the game, I think more than 30 nukes had been built, and used.

I won this game in the 1820's after attacking Korea and taking the UN. Him not having oil helped somewhat

david: Also, it is quite possible fighting musketmen with ancient age weaponry, at deity, given enough catapults. When people start getting cavalry or better what chances there was lessens dramatically.

That is part of what makes me like deity so much, it forces me to really think on all parts of my game and improve. For me at least, the change is much greater than it ever was between monarchy and emperor. I stand by the previous persons stating that deity is a totally different game