Old February 19, 2003, 05:20   #31
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 21:45
Local Date: November 1, 2010
You are not suppsed to use Siphai against Infantry.

You are suppsed to use it against Musketmen for guarateed victory.

And they are pretty good against Rilfmen too.

P.S.
And make good cannon-fooder against Infantry.
(so those shields don't go to waste)

P.P.S.
And are in noo way overpriced.
Old February 19, 2003, 07:09   #32
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 05:45
Local Date: November 2, 2010
1. Ansar Warrior

It has the same advantage as the Chinese Rider in the increased speed, only at a cheaper price than regular knights, meaning that more can be built up quicker. While they sacrifice 1 defence, this hardly matters since they are fast enough to get out of trouble, and besides, knights aren't meant for defence. Pikemen are. The Ansar also comes at a time when the Golden age is a boon to the empire

2. Berserk

While it is much more expensive than the Longbowman, an attack of 6 and amphibious assault more than make up for this. Plus, it makes archers a more worthwhile unit in the early game (simply upgrade them once Invention comes up). Once again, the golden age is well-timed.

3. Numidian Mercenary

Sure, its pricey compared with spearmen, but their versatility shouldn't be underestimated. Combine them with catapults to minimize losses, back them up with a small number of swordsmen (in the case that you are up against hoplites or legions). I always win the early wars quickly (considering the slow movement) whenever I do this. It was also this unit that won my first MP game for me.
Old February 19, 2003, 11:07   #33
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 20:45
No one has mentioned the MAN o' War, a truly indespensible unit.
Old February 19, 2003, 14:55   #34
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 14:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Jahi
monkspider, I love your quote! thats to funny!
Hey, thanks!
Old February 19, 2003, 15:01   #35
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Quote:
Originally posted by player1
You are not suppsed to use Siphai against Infantry.

You are suppsed to use it against Musketmen for guarateed victory.
Well of course, but sometimes one has little choice in the matter.

Quote:
P.P.S.
And are in noo way overpriced.
Well if we were to examine their price effectiveness relative to regular cavalry, we would find them to be not really any better. Yes, by the time factories come around they are not too taxing to build (of course by this time they will be of dubious usefulness), but the thing is they don't offer any sort of advantage vis a vis cavalry in terms of sheer cost effectiveness. To wit, if Firaxis introduced a unit in a future XP called the Dragoon that was 8-3-3 and all civs could build it, I would expect it to cost exactly the same as the Sipahi.
Old February 19, 2003, 17:01   #36
Azeem
Prince

Local Time: 19:45
I haven't tried the Sipahi yet, but so far, I haven't had a lot of luck with Cavalry units, though I did have a good time using Japanese Samurai.

The random outcomes of battles can be a real pain. I've even had my Cavalry who were across a river (which actually gives a defensive bonus) lose to regular Horsemen!
Only by knowing when to stop can we avoid danger." - Lao-zi, the "Dao-de-jing"
Old February 19, 2003, 17:14   #37
Juha Karlsson
Settler

Since I always play with an industrious tribe, Pangea, Large landmass, Regent, 16 civs and all else standard, my list is rather short. I usally only built three of them. I prefer democracy and try to finish of my enemy with blitzkrieg to avoid changing goverment during war.
#1 Sipahi. Even cavalry is too strong too early and useful until you buildt modern armor with two step in and one strike deep in enemy territory. Cavalry can beat infantry if you flood enemy cities with them. Sipahi may even beat mech. inf. in the same way.
#2 Nub. Merc. Very good early defence unit. One in every new city and you almost magically avoid sneak attacks on them. Expansion get very smoothly then.
#3 Rider. A horsemen with little defence power, quite useful.
#4 Musketeers. I build or upgrade pikemen to them only because I got gunpowder and need better defence, they are not better than musketmen. That laugh I hear when upgrade to them must came from the enemy.
#5 War Chariot. Like to buy a fancy SUV with only two-wheel drive, it goes nowhere. Useless.
#6 F-15. In this game flying objects are expensive and useless in war. No one have tell me what they do for good to me and I win more often without them.
Old February 20, 2003, 05:44   #38
Elden
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:15
Quote:
Originally posted by TheStinger
or the F-15, I'm most surprised!
Old February 20, 2003, 07:06   #39
Jethro83
Prince

Local Time: 05:45
Quote:
Originally posted by Elden

Quote:
or the F-15, I'm most surprised!
And let's not forget the hwacha!!!
Old February 20, 2003, 19:24   #40
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 21:45
Elephants are best.
Old February 21, 2003, 16:01   #41
ceroomaster
Civilization III PBEMNationStates
Prince

Quote:

I actually came into this thread just to post that- but was *obviously* beaten to it.

OnTopic: Num. Mercs. are ace.
If I chose between Roman Leg or G. Swordsman I'd have to pick the Legion- the savings and therefore speed in which they are built far out weighs the advantages of an extra MP except in certain situations (that rarely occur)
Old February 24, 2003, 14:12   #42
Capt Dizle
ACDG3 Gaians
King

The Siphia can be very useful. Remember that the Ottomans are scientific and get a free tech at the beginning of the age. If running ahead they can sell techs and beline directly to Military Tradition and have the Siphia in the middle of the age.

Should be possible to build lots of horseman and knights and upgrade and go on a killing spree long before you see riflemen.

The cost is not so bad when you consider you will be in a golden age as well and can use the shields to pump out more and more of this excellant unit. Most core cities will be large and well developed by this time thanks to the industrious workers.

Another way to use this use is to simply use it to set off a golden age late in the age or even early in the next. Get to democracy and switch before you use it for a trigger. Just whittle down a nearby empire into a few cities with an earlier war. and leave it for a quick kill. Then you will have 20 turns of peaceful democracy to research and build hospitals, factories and plants under golden age conditions.
Old February 24, 2003, 14:34   #43
Abdul-Aziz
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:45
Panzers are the best in my opinion.
Old February 25, 2003, 00:47   #44
Artifex
Prince

panzers come way too late..I play emperor..by panzers game is won or lost.
Old February 25, 2003, 01:31   #45
Wycoff
Prince

I also think that Panzers are great. True, they come late in the game, but as long as you are relatively even in the tech race they can eaily swing the balance of a single player game, even if your opponent is 2 to 3 times your size. If you have 10 -15 cities that could normally produce them in 3 turns (not a very hard thing to do) and then get your golden age, you can swarm over any opponent that hasn't discovered computers. As a scientific civ, Germany is usually competative in the tech race, so getting Panzers before others discover Computers isn't all that difficult. Panzers can regularly defeat infantry and crush anything with less defensive strength. The 3 movement points and blitzing ability can make it seem like you have nearly twice as many Panzers than you actually have. I've completely destroyed civs twice my size using this method, often with over a hundred Panzers to spare.