Old February 16, 2003, 19:20   #91
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Local Time: 14:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
This isn't Bush, DM. You sounding like Floyd now.
Old February 16, 2003, 19:24   #92
Demerzel
Warlord

Local Time: 19:47
World War I was during the era when European countries believed war was something that could be waged quickly and was a useful tool of diplmacy ( kinda like Bush now ), 1871 Franco-Prussian war was a good example of this. WWI proved this not to be the case anymore.

World War II was started by a madman bent on conquest, no logic can define his actions.

Europe has changed markedly since those days and I somehow doubt that Germany would instantly try to conquer other EU countries if the US pulled out. The US forces in Europe may have prevented a Soviet attack but then again the Soviets were always worried that the US would attack them first, so it's a tie

Can't see the US personnel leaving the UK with just under half of the 99 year leases of bases left to go. Would leave the US isolated indeed if they pulled out of all western Europe.
Old February 16, 2003, 20:12   #93
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

UK isn't wouldn't be under consideration.
The UK is there beside us.
Old February 16, 2003, 20:18   #94
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 15:47
Quote:
Originally posted by Lancer
Who traditionally invades european countries? Who invaded South Korea in the past?

The US?

Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old February 16, 2003, 21:26   #95
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Local Time: 20:47
Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Striker
Of course US comes in again and pacifies the situation.
US *created* the situation by arming criminal Albanian warlords.

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.
Old February 16, 2003, 21:40   #96
Ted Striker
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 11:47
Ya, I guess those mercenaries Slobo hired to exterminate the other side had nothing to do with the situation.

"Hey, not our fault those mercenaries got out of hand." How convenient. Free Slobo!

Of course, the default answer of blaming the US is usally the easiest one.

Mis Novias
Old February 16, 2003, 21:48   #97
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

Always.
Old February 16, 2003, 21:50   #98
Comrade Tribune
Prince

The only mercenaries in Kosovo were retired US generals training the gangsters.

Very hard not to blame the US for this.

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.
Old February 16, 2003, 23:29   #99
devilmunchkin
Warlord

sloww: if it's not bush, who is it? or is it him and other ppl? i'm just trying to understand......
"Speaking on the subject of conformity: This rotting concept of the unfathomable nostril mystifies the fuming crotch of my being!!! Stop with the mooing you damned chihuahua!!! Ganglia!! Rats eat babies!" ~ happy noodle boy
Old February 16, 2003, 23:40   #100
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Re: Proposal. Remove U.S. Military Members.
WTf? it went from page 1 to page 5...
Old February 17, 2003, 04:55   #101
HershOstropoler
Settler

Dino:

Quote:
But if the power structures that are now in place in Europe and Northeast Asia are benign, they are not sustainable for much longer. The most likely scenario in Europe is an eventual American exit coupled with the emergence of Germany as the dominant state. In effect, the region will probably move from its present bipolarity (with the United States and Russia as the poles) to unbalanced multipolarity, which will lead to more intense security competition among the European powers.
Is there some sort of competition in america's "academia" who can sprout the most nonsense? I'd say this is a nice one, but still miles from the "monetary union creates all out european war".

The intellectual level of most of those IR pieces is on par with creationism. At best.
“Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)
Old February 17, 2003, 05:07   #102
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Unemployment in Germany has recently exceeded 10%. Have the extremist parties gained any popularity by chance?
Old February 17, 2003, 05:12   #103
KrazyHorse
Deity

Is that high for a Euro country? In 1993 or so our unemployment rate was running at 9-10%...
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old February 17, 2003, 05:13   #104
KrazyHorse
Deity

Spain's was 23% the last time I checked (a few years ago). Apparently they've brought that down a bit recently, however...
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old February 17, 2003, 05:15   #105
Tattila the Hun
King

Local Time: 22:47
There are about 50 million reasons supporting continued peace in Europe... Even without US troops

Can somebody tell me, what is the "School of America's"?
Old February 17, 2003, 06:07   #106
Drake Tungsten
Deity

I agree completely, Sloww, and the German bases should be the first ones on the chopping block. Either bring the US troops home or rebase them in the friendly countries farther east. They're closer to hotspots anyway and I'd much rather see the Polish or Czech economies enjoy the benefits that come with a large population of American servicemen.
Old February 17, 2003, 07:19   #107
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

It is probably time the US troops pulled out of Europe. The likely outcome would be moves to European unification and certainly greater military co-operation. I am not sure it is better to do what the French government wants rather than what the US government wants but it probably involves less of pissing off the rest of the world. I can't see a more unified Europe suiting the US government though.

As for the UK, about 20 miles from where I am typing this is Menwith Hill, one of the main US electronic intelligence bases outside the USA. About 50 miles away is RAF Fylingdales which will be part of the anti missile system (if it ever works). Go about 120 miles south and you will find the airbase the F-111's that bombed Libya flew from.

Apart from the (censored) intelligence from Menwith Hill, which country really needs US bases in the UK? (Hint: not the UK).
Old February 17, 2003, 07:22   #108
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

I used to live in Harrogate about 7 miles form Menwith HIll, it was nice to know I'd get nuked soley for the precence of that base.
Old February 17, 2003, 09:22   #109
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
Don't let the Germans have all the fun. Leave the UK too!
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old February 17, 2003, 09:54   #110
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 21:47
The economic contribution from perhaps 100 000 US soldiers in a rich and populated country like Germany is like a fart in Cosmos. Let them leave. The cold war is over.
Old February 17, 2003, 12:05   #111
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

What's to laugh over is, many of you that say "Yes, go, go" have never been around without U.S. troops stationed there.

When I say, "Pull the Service Members Out", I mean that's it.
Over. Finito. Done. You're on your own, Kid.

But I'm glad to see my idea supported.
Old February 17, 2003, 12:11   #112
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Roland: I won't be able to give a real response to the thread for few days due to studying for a test (It cuts into the time I can devote to researching useless things). I really regret posting that article though.
Blackwidow24 and FemmeAdonis fan club
Old February 17, 2003, 12:16   #113
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

you need to study?
Old February 17, 2003, 12:31   #114
Starchild
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Location: a raving alcoholic drama queen with a penchant for the biosciences
Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
What's to laugh over is, many of you that say "Yes, go, go" have never been around without U.S. troops stationed there.
Actually Sloww, I've lived around Americans a lot. Ten years in the good ol'USA itself.

What I've seen is that we in the UK, your closest ally, don't exactly get much out of the so called "special relationship". You gonna tariff our steel and help fund the IRA than we should be sitting down and having a serious think about letting you use our bases. Especially when you use our bases to pressure our government into supporting an untested, impractical missile defense system that makes us a target by anyone wanting to get all triggerhappy.
Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
-Richard Dawkins
Old February 17, 2003, 12:46   #115
Tingkai
Prince

Local Time: 03:47
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Don't pull the US troops out. Why should European prosititutes be punished for because of the way politicians behave.
Old February 17, 2003, 12:55   #116
Pekka
Emperor

I reaaaaally don't believe there is a good reason for the US to stay in Germany, well at least not military reasons. Germany is safe now, and they have their own military, and alliances. However, Germany needs those US troops there, because they bring lots and lots of cash with them. Now, this is very beneficial for Germans, but I don't know the importance of this to the US. They should just pack their bags and leave, if Germany won't even support them. Why stay? There are many reasons to leave. Schroeder brought this down to them himself.
And the US won't be the bad guy, since Germany is not in danger.

Besides, it's BS for others to cry for help all the time, meaning people wanting US troops to their lands. Every country should make sure that they can defend theirselves by themselves, with no help from others. Or else they are nothing but whiny old women. I reckon if you don't have the will to protect your country, then you really don't care about its safety and therefore should not be in power to begin with. It's the leaders FIRST responsibility to make sure that own people are safe now, and in the future. That means army without others help.
If you can't take care of yourself, you must have good buddies to protect you, but you MUST train yourself to be able to protect yourself asap. Or, you really have to treat your buddies right, and not piss on their shoes.
You can't make military alliance and then act on your own, only when it suits you. You have to also do the messy stuff that you wouldn't want to. If you don't pay back others help, even if it's free, you're not a good buddy.
I think it's the least the US can ask. They have the alliance, and are only asking their help, which is their responsibility. Instead of helping, they only take the money the troops bring with them and smile and not help. I'd leave the first moment I could. I won't stick around in places I'm not wanted.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old February 17, 2003, 12:57   #117
Pekka
Emperor

They should help the US, and be glad to have the opportunity to do it! You have to give in able to recieve.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old February 17, 2003, 12:58   #118
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

I'm from France, where there is no American base (thanks to our beloved De Gaulle), and I can insure you we have no problems with that. I support Sloww's idea as stonrgly as I oppose war in Iraq
Old February 17, 2003, 13:09   #119
SlowwHand
inmate
Deity

If I ran the circus, I wouldn't lift a finger to help France again.
Old February 17, 2003, 13:35   #120
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

If I ran the circus I wouldnt have the guts to be such a *ss to link WW2 and Gulfwar2 together..

- Paul Valery