Old February 17, 2003, 16:28   #91
darcy
Warlord

Local Time: 19:49
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
This thread has begun its spiral of death.
That wouldn't happen if all posts were kept on-topic.
Old February 17, 2003, 16:51   #92
Lord Merciless
Warlord

Local Time: 12:49
Declining and aging population, lazy people hanging on welfare like drug addicts, and ever increasing tax to support those lazy people would eventually break Europe's competitiveness.
Old February 17, 2003, 16:53   #93
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 14:49
Quote:
On the contrary, Bush is pushing a multilateral approach, which is correct. Japan especially has interests there, which should be represented. This SK policy of triangulating between NK and their ally, the US, is a real dog.
you're right, he is pushing a multilateral approach.
and by pushing, you mean he's busy cajoling and threatening both russia and china into dealing with nkorea as "their" problem, all but ignoring the voice of the south koreans in their opposition to sanctions, and just paying lip service to their alliance with japan and skorea.
bush wants the korean situation solved multilaterally. and by multilaterally, he means with an american solution, spread out over many countries.

don't get me wrong-- most everyone in asia doesn't like kim jong il, and would rather have him dead and gone. everybody there is united in their opposition to nkorea's nuke program. they only differ on the solution, and while skorea's might not be the best, it's quite understandable.

when i said bush didn't follow multilateralism, i was referring more directly to his actions early on in his administration, when he broke off communications with nkorea without before even meeting the president of skorea and the prime minister of japan to let them know he was doing this.
Old February 17, 2003, 16:55   #94
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 21:49
I think the Bush admin is indeed incompetent in Foreign Affairs. Oerdin explains the Republicans tend to use force as they want without actively looking for support, to secure US' interests best (while Democrats think making friends will secure US' interests at lower cost)

Bush achieved neither :

- he had outstanding support after Sept. 11th, and the shock it created around the world, especially in the West. 16 months later, the international public opinion is outstandingly against him

- despite his suckiness at making friends, he went to the UN security council instead of attacking Iraq unilaterally. Worse, when facing disagreement, the Bush team overreacted instead of minimizing (and thus maybe ending) the crisis. French and German today's radicalism can be partly explained by the public pissing contest. Sure, Germans and French actively took part to the pissing contest, but America had more to lose with it, and thus should have first tried to stop it.

- Bush team officially wants Saddam to be removed, but the UN security council officially wants Saddam to disarm (2 very different things). He may lose the few international support to his cause if Saddam's token concessions are deemed satisfying. Worse, by going and failing to the UNSC, war could lose support among the American population.
Should the UN not back the war, Bush would have wasted much time at best, or would have to cancel the war at worst.

- Sure, the outcome of the Afghani war is more solid than many antibushies expected. But it is doubtful the whole Afghani war served US' interests, as the country is on the verge to more instability, with the weakness of Kharzai's central power.
Old February 17, 2003, 17:23   #95
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 15:49
Who says Afghanistan didn't satisfy US interests? It got the Taliban out of there, spread Al Queda.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old February 17, 2003, 17:31   #96
Spiffor

To what extent were the Talibans a problem to US interests ? They braught stability in Afganistan, and made Afghanistan a possible enemy of Iran. The only positive outcome for the US is the destruction of Al-Qaeda's training camps, but whether it will be better for the US in the long run is doubtful.
Old February 17, 2003, 17:39   #97
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Worse, by going and failing to the UNSC, war could lose support among the American population.

Spiffor: No, that's not the mood here. The American people want Bush to make a sincere effort at the UN, but have low expectations. The failure wouldn't be seen as Bush's but rather the UNSC's. The UNSC is not very important for the American people. The potential swing is only 9% of the population and the likely swing is much lower. Worth spending some time on, but no great loss if unsuccessful. This compares to something like a 35% swing in France...

and by pushing, you mean he's busy cajoling and threatening both russia and china into dealing with nkorea as "their" problem, all but ignoring the voice of the south koreans in their opposition to sanctions, and just paying lip service to their alliance with japan and skorea

Q^3: It's everybody's problem in the region, not just the US's and NK's. SK's approach is not in the best interests of Japan, and Japan has to be at the table to make that clear to SK.

If NK goes nuclear, then so does Japan, and perhaps even SK and Taiwan. This is hugely not in the best interests of China, so China has an obligation to be at the table, lean on NK, and be a witness to NK's compliance if a deal is struck. Further, NK is China's unfunded liability--the US shouldn't pay so that China has a buffer against one of our allies. If they want it, they pay for it.

Bush is doing the right thing on NK, even though it might scare some in Washington and the region.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old February 17, 2003, 17:41   #98
Spiffor

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
Worse, by going and failing to the UNSC, war could lose support among the American population.

Spiffor: No, that's not the mood here. The American people want Bush to make a sincere effort at the UN, but have low expectations. The failure wouldn't be seen as Bush's but rather the UNSC's. The UNSC is not very important for the American people. The potential swing is only 9% of the population and the likely swing is much lower. Worth spending some time on, but no great loss if unsuccessful. This compares to something like a 35% swing in France...
Thx for the correction DanS
Old February 17, 2003, 17:56   #99
Q Classic
Emperor

Quote:
SK's approach is not in the best interests of Japan, and Japan has to be at the table to make that clear to SK.
honestly, when have skorea's interests ever really been aligned with japan's? when has nkorea's interests ever really been close to japan's? for instance, it's in japan's best interest to not have skorea as an economic competitor at all. it's in japan's interest to never have a unified korea. this is probably the first time in history that japan and skorea have faced a similar threat, that of a nuclear nkorea.
conversely, what's actually in japan's best interest, that of a remilitarization, is not in skorea's interest at all. hell, most of asia never wants to see that.
as for having japan at the table, it's all well and good, but america's never been spectacular with bringing all parties involved to the table: the armistice signed to stop the hot korean war in 1953 was arranged without any input from south korea. yes, japan should be there, trying to sort things out. yes, so should china, the us, russia, and skorea. but thus far, bush hasn't been able to convince japan or skorea that he's right, and hasn't been able to bring russia or china to the table; with bush's current strategy, i don't see how he'll convince japan and skorea, anyhow. his "consultations" often seem like a "daddy knows best" type deal, which isn't exactly endearing to two nations who now want to be on equal footing with the world's only superpower in their own backyard.
sk's approach isn't going to benefit anyone, really. in the long run, it'll probably hamper korean unification even more. however, bush's insistence on playing hardball isn't going to help things that much, either. all it's doing is pushing that damned crackpot even deeper into his psychopathic shell, making him more belligerent and even more blustery.
i have to confess, i don't have an answer to this blighted mess. i don't think sanctions will help, merely acceeding to nkorean demands won't help, and bush's strategy of just ratcheting up hostile pressure on nkorea isn't working either.

i don't disagree that a nuclear nkorea is a very unappetizing occurence. those would be my relatives baked by a bomb, so i'd much rather not see anything happen there. at the same time, remember, most of the anti-americanism that has sprouted recently between skorea and the us is more because of a vast difference in opinion regarding nkorea, and the state of the alliance between skorea and the us. by and large, the us alliance treats skorea as a second-class nation on the peninsula--americans charged with crimes are tried in american courts, the 30k americans have direct control over a 600k skorean army, america exerts pressure on skorea to buy only their materiel... and at the same time, skoreans feel that their nation is now mature enough to stand as equals with the us in their home turf. they feel ignored by bush in regards to their own brethren in nkorea, and that's where much of the resentment lies.

if bush is to convince skorea, he has to show the people of skorea that he's not trying to pressure them into his side, but working with them. and if skorea agrees with bush, so too will japan.

bush isn't doing this all too well. that's all i'm saying.
Old February 17, 2003, 18:03   #100
darcy
Warlord

Quote:
The failure wouldn't be seen as Bush's but rather the UNSC's. The UNSC is not very important for the American people.
Which is of course nonsense, as the UNSC didn't fail. It's doing what it's supposed to do, maintaining world peace and stability, although its authority is being undermined by the lack of respect the USA has for its decisions. The usual arrogance is applied: Whoever doesn't agree with us is obviously irrelevant. The incredible stupidity was to display this attitude before the UNSC had even assembled, making sure to belittle and piss off every member before they even heard the case.
Old February 17, 2003, 18:06   #101
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by darcy
That wouldn't happen if all posts were kept on-topic.
Actually it was doing a great job of crashing and burning without my help.

It might pop back though with a few of the right kind of posts.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.

Last edited by Oerdin; February 17, 2003 at 18:26.
Old February 17, 2003, 18:34   #102
Oerdin
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
To what extent were the Talibans a problem to US interests ? They braught stability in Afganistan, and made Afghanistan a possible enemy of Iran. The only positive outcome for the US is the destruction of Al-Qaeda's training camps, but whether it will be better for the US in the long run is doubtful.
The Americans considered the Taliban their problem because the Taliban was allowing OBL and his friends free room and board plus was refusing to turn him over. In retrospect, it might have been better to look the other way when the Taliban brutalized women and religious minorities and simply cut some sort of deal with them so they'd hand over OBL and his top followers to us. As I recall Bush did try to cut a deal with the Taliban but the Taliban didn't want ot negotiate with an "infidel" to turn over a "fellow believer".

That impass may have been over come if sufficient amounts of money were offered but I think Bush wanted to make an example of what happens to people who help terrorists.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old February 17, 2003, 18:40   #103
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Local Time: 20:49
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
That impass may have been over come if sufficient amounts of money were offered but I think Bush wanted to make an example of what happens to people who help terrorists.
Well, what happens to them? The Taliban are already on the counter-offensive, I hear. Soon you will be in the same situation as the Russians in the 80s.

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.
Old February 17, 2003, 18:58   #104
Oerdin
Deity

We'll see.
Old February 17, 2003, 20:06   #105
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Local Time: 20:49
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
We'll see.
Yes, we will.

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.
Old February 17, 2003, 20:51   #106
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 04:49
Local Date: November 2, 2010

Chalk up another point to the French.

Tucker Carlson was trying to ridicule them on tonight's "Crossfire" and held up two bottles of wine, one American, one French, and remarked to his French interlocutor, "Who's going to suffer when Americans boycott French wine in favour of American?"

At which the Frenchman smiled and replied, "American wine drinkers."

Old February 17, 2003, 20:55   #107
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Sava -
Quote:
Berserker, my chimp tells me that if you mock Agathon for being "non-partisan" it would only be logical if you explain which party he is speaking for. But you're obviously more concerned with trolling and insulting people.
One can be partisan without belonging to the largest political party opposing the GOP. Michael Moore is partisan, but he supported Nader. Your post is full of fallacies, I did not insult Agathon, I posted my skepticism about his stated desire for a non-partisan discussion by quoting his opening accusation that most Republicans and conservatives are at best slightly mad (yeah, that was non-partisan). He responded by insulting me...if you cannot see his opening post as partisan, let your chimp do the reading for you.
Old February 18, 2003, 00:32   #108
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

The only problem is that the French don't even have the best wine anymore .

The best comes from Chile!
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old February 18, 2003, 00:37   #109
Spiffor

I wonder how a Chilean wine could equal an alsacian white
Old February 18, 2003, 00:38   #110
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Chile produces better cheap wine, but France still produces better top-end wine than Chile. Your buck goes farther with Chilean wine, but the best of the best from France will beat its counterpart from Chile.
Old February 18, 2003, 00:44   #111
Adam Smith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon
I loved the way De Villepin (the representative of "Old Europe") undercut Powell in such a witty and urbane fashion.
Pyrrhic victory.
Old February 18, 2003, 00:51   #112
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

AS: Totally.

I wonder how a Chilean wine could equal an alsacian white

Chilean and Australian whites taste very good. My daily drinking white is Alsacian but I don't think I'm moving down in class when I drink Chilean and Australian.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old February 18, 2003, 01:02   #113
Spiffor

Actually, I had the misconception Chile only produced red. I wonder where this came from
Old February 18, 2003, 02:50   #114
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Quote:
Actually, I had the misconception Chile only produced red. I wonder where this came from
You're just another ignorant European who probably couldn't find Chile on a map...
Old February 18, 2003, 03:05   #115
Mazarin
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Prince

who cares? that's what intelligent missiles were invented for!
Old February 18, 2003, 04:38   #116
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 03:49
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
This clearly illustrates the problem with W's foreign policy, something his supporters don't understand.

He is pushing an approach which the two principle party involved don't want. He thinks his solution is better, which means he lives in a world of his own. He doesn't want to see things from other people's view, let alone care. This doesn't make a very good diplomat.
Q Cubed,

I posted pretty much the same thing some time ago. Dan didn't reply to me either.
Old February 18, 2003, 04:40   #117
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Adam Smith
Pyrrhic victory.
It's all a matter of perspective, I suppose.
Old February 18, 2003, 06:05   #118
KrazyHorse
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Adam Smith
Pyrrhic victory.
It's better than a Pyrrhic defeat, which is what the US seems on the road to, diplomatically speaking.

Only slightly, though.

Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old February 18, 2003, 06:29   #119
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 05:49
Bush's foreign policy would be a lot better even if there was just a little sensivity and tact.

I see no reason why the Euros couldn't have been brought on board on Iraq.

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old February 18, 2003, 06:36   #120
Urban Ranger
Deity

One can start by wondering W.'s throwing out of "Axis of Evil."

It can only be downhill from there.