Old May 26, 2003, 20:49   #61
hardjoy
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 20:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Turns out the stack error was caused by a mistake in the tech tree, cutting it in two unconnected halves, making the one half completely unresearchable.

Even though future tech was set at nil, the game would crash when a civ came to choose an advance for new research project, and when negotiating for techs with other civs. Don't quite understand the nature of this error yet, but now everything seems to be back to normal. Nothing about the no, no techs caused any problems.
Old May 26, 2003, 22:24   #62
hardjoy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Boco
Where's the latest version of this scenario posted (sorry if I missed a link earlier in the thread)? Maybe some fresh eyes could help with the tech tree problem.
I removed the link earlier in the thread because the version posted was out of date. The new version introduces a much more interesting and historically accurate setup, with more detail and colour than the previous version. Gonna post the latest version here as soon as its ready for final rounds and adjustments.

The crash/stack error was a serious mistake. Somehow a key tech (monarchy) had gotten its preq's completely screwed up (no idea why). But now everything seems to be working again
Old June 4, 2003, 22:39   #63
hardjoy
Prince

Final rounds of adjustments

http://apolyton.net/upload/files/har...rmada_v1_4.zip

http://apolyton.net/upload/files/har...v1_4_sound.zip

Last edited by hardjoy; June 18, 2003 at 10:26.
Old June 4, 2003, 22:42   #64
hardjoy
Prince

The Irish Catholics revolt in response to the beheading of Mary Stuart...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	irish_revolt.gif
Views:	141
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	46995  
Old June 4, 2003, 22:52   #65
hardjoy
Prince

Feel free to download this last playtest version from the links above and post any comments you might have in this thread. I'm especially interested in playbalance issues, units that are too strong/weak, and details such as if the Spanish take Antwerp, and when, and if they land troops in England, when, how and where... If the scenario is too short, how difficult it was, if there's too much gold around etc.

It has been a pain in the butt to make Spain play more offensively, and I'm afraid I only halfway succeeded. But its fun, and more often than not, the Spanish Armada actually manages to crowd the English Channel, which is quite threatening playing as the Dutch or the English.

The scenario clearly shows why it was so difficult for the Armada to rendezvous with Parma. Supposedly the most brilliant military commander of the time, in this scenario he is perhaps the dumbest, superceded by only the duke of Medina Sidonia, the Spanish naval commander. All this military power at their disposal, and yet not able to ferry those damn troops across the Channel...
Old June 5, 2003, 10:33   #66
teic
Chieftain

In 1584 i'm forced to change goverment when there is pestilence near Amsterdam.Or Is this normal?
Old June 5, 2003, 10:41   #67
teic
Chieftain

The English invade Spain and capture three cities. Than they sign a peace treaty
Old June 5, 2003, 11:01   #68
hardjoy
Prince

The English are the aggressor in the conflict of the Armada, Drake sacked Cádiz and raided big time in Galicia. The Spanish will no doubt kick out the English again, but the English taking Spanish possessions makes them hate each other big time, even if they do agree to a peace treaty. -Historically, England even sent a 'counter-armada' aimed at the conquest of Lisbon, which miserably failed, however.

Think I'm gonna name the peace treaty "an armistice" instead -this seems more reasonable. The AI makes peace and war time and time again as long as the English "elizabethan diplomacy" wonder is working (great wall). It pretty much resembles history, the first part of the scenario is intended to simulate the rising tension between the two major players, before escalating into open war.

The Dutch start the game in anarchy (revolt) and their leader must work to unite the provinces under his leadership.

If you play as the Spanish you must take care to keep all your agreements unless you have the nobles behind you, or else you will lose control of government. (holy empire=democracy) -this shouldn't have anything to do with the pestilence, which only shows once in a while, but can be very difficult getting rid off.

All that said, the scenario is intended not to show off history like it happened, but explore what can happen if different commanders were in charge... The setup is as historically detailed as can be, but from there, the scenario can go in a whole variety of directions.

Can you keep me posted on the progress of your game? -If you play as Spain, how difficult is it to throw out the English swashbucklers? -how difficult to conquer the Netherlands and England?
Old June 5, 2003, 11:16   #69
teic
Chieftain

Liège=Luik
Lilli=Rijsel
I think
Old June 5, 2003, 11:28   #70
teic
Chieftain

Naval guns attack Maastricht and Ghent????Maybe change the name in just Guns or something
Second peace treaty
Old June 5, 2003, 11:46   #71
hardjoy
Prince

I should have guessed... -you play as the Dutch

The AI manages to actually use the naval guns, but not in the way a human player would.

It also uses them moderately on land, which is a little odd, but okay. The alternative is giving the guns the sub flag so they can attack ships only, but then ships won't be able to bombard with them, as intended, and I will have the guns floating around in the ocean.
Old June 5, 2003, 13:21   #72
teic
Chieftain

Scenario ended: England was the supreme power in the hole scenario. They held 3 spanish and 3 French cities. And most of scotland.
Spain sended a armada. A few landings in the netherlands.Antwerpen(antwerp) didn't fall in the beginning. The spanish Netherlands held a few cities.
Maybe you should do something about the Dutch navy(which was strong then) I had no ships after a few turns.
Old June 5, 2003, 14:07   #73
hardjoy
Prince

How much did you manage to conquer of the Spanish possessions in Flanders, and how tough was it? -Did you lose Antwerpen at all or manage to keep it?

I'm also quite curious to know what happened to the pest. In all the games I've seen, the pest spreads quite well, but is eventually eliminated. (for the Dutch its a 1 out of 80 chance event, so its supposed to be quite rare -it can happen more often in the mediterrenean)

I did include more Dutch ships in a previous version, but removed a couple of them. If they have too many, the AI has a tendency to invade England on turn 1, and cancel their alliance right away...

England starts with an equally weak navy, and even Spains Armada leaves much to be desired. But the Dutch have all the most productive cities in this scenario, so they should be able to quickly rebuild a huge navy, if they want. All the powers will have to build masses of ships if they want to win the scenario.
Old June 5, 2003, 14:45   #74
teic
Chieftain

2 or 3 cities. It was altough it needed Just an cannon and an calvanst to take a city. Many units were killed by naval guns.

In the previous game i had a pest wich captured Amsterdam, so i stopped that one.

Maybe more mechant ships with low attack rate. The republic did much of the trade over seas then.

I didn't build any ships because i had no problems at sea(England or the coastal fortresses killed them)and I needed only more land units.
Old June 6, 2003, 21:56   #75
hardjoy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by teic
I didn't build any ships because i had no problems at sea(England or the coastal fortresses killed them)and I needed only more land units.
Sounds like a precise description of a historical situation...
Old June 7, 2003, 10:54   #76
teic
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by hardjoy

Sounds like a precise description of a historical situation...
Actually not.
The Netherlands then builded the largest navy in the world.
Old June 7, 2003, 11:34   #77
hardjoy
Prince

he he ... I meant the Spanish failure...

Although not many Spanish ships were actually sunk during the Armada campaign, lots were stranded in Dutch low waters, destroyed by Dutch coastal batteries and the crews slaughtered by the locals. And the English fleet nearby totally scattered the Spanish fleet. The Dutch fleet while important, was not imperative and consisted mainly of small coastal vessels, although they did prevent Parma from going to sea on his own for a long while.

Maybe I'd include a couple of missile type ship units for the Dutch to represent their coastal defenses even better? -but they ought not to be too strong, since I want a serious challenge for the Dutch player too. Already lowered the defense of naval fortresses, so that the Spanish will have some chance in breaking down the fortresses, before conquering the cities (the idea was to force the Spanish to take out the fortresses by taking the cities first, but the other might be an option too, after all)
Old June 11, 2003, 00:45   #78
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 15:51
Hey, just out of curiousity, when will the release version of this scenario be out? I'm really looking forward to it, and I greatly regret not being to help playtest...no time...hopefully time will free up later...
Old June 11, 2003, 08:04   #79
hardjoy
Prince

Well the scenario is just as done as it gets. The only things I'm adjusting are the little balance things. I want to use every option available to make the Spanish play a better game. The English plays a superb game, and the game is pretty challenging playing either the English, the Dutch, the Spanish or the Scots.

So I'm playing the game thru time and time again, adjusting unit statistics, unit roles, prices, placing, small game.txt fixes. There's room for one or two more events as well.

I also need to get the documentation done and find a proper title.gif.

So in a matter of weeks, probably. Got an exam assignment this week, but probably can't help playing and tidying it up anyway.
Old June 18, 2003, 10:31   #80
hardjoy
Prince

v1_4 uploaded
Old June 18, 2003, 17:03   #81
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Url?
Old June 19, 2003, 01:04   #82
Mao
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 15:51
BOOOO!!! I can't download the latest version!!! NOOOOO!!!! It says
Quote:
Apolyton

You have tried to link to an image on our site directly. Please do not use our bandwidth for your sites.

If you feel you shouldnt be geting this, dont hesitate to mail us
when I try to dl it from CivFan. Then when I just try to type in the address, it says that the file can't be found. Can someone email version 1.4 to me @ ChapMan85@aol.com or tell me how to get the scenario?
Old June 19, 2003, 01:50   #83
hardjoy
Prince

Ok, I didn't realize linking from elsewhere would be troublesome... here's the links again

http://apolyton.net/upload/files/har...rmada_v1_4.zip

http://apolyton.net/upload/files/har...v1_4_sound.zip