Old February 21, 2001, 00:03   #1
colossus
Warlord

Local Time: 22:53
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Railroad and King Richard's Crusade
In my game a few days ago, I noticed that my city with KRC generating 3 shields in a railroaded plain tile. This prompted be to believe that railroad increases the shield of ANY tile by 50%. I used to think that the railroad works only for specials.
Old February 21, 2001, 02:11   #2
Paul
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 23:53
Railroads work on all squares. But if a square produces only one shield you won't notice it because the bonus is rounded down.
Old February 21, 2001, 09:03   #3
Albert B
Warlord

Local Time: 17:53
It definately works on all squares... I use them on forests and mined hills all the time.

Speaking of this, it brings to mind one of the things that annoy me the most about the AI - the fact that they railroad EVERYTHING!!!! In civ1 this was a great idea because any square that produced 2 or more any resource received a benifit from being RRed. Also, you had to build RR around a city site to keep from losing 1/3 movement when passing through them. However, in civ 2 there is absolutely know reason to build a RR on any site that does not meet one of these to criteria: 1. produces 2 or more shields or 2. is used to connect one city with another.

Granted, having the AI civ having railroads everywhere makes it a little easier to advance your army around a fort posted unit to get to the real prey, but this is really another problem rather than a benefit. Think how much more effectively an AI could defend itself if it had a much less intense network of railroads!

Anyway, that's my rant for the day, does this annoy anyone else as much as it does me? Or did I just get up on the wrong side of the bed today?

Albert B
Old February 21, 2001, 16:24   #4
Caesar the Glutton
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:53
Anyway, that's my rant for the day, does this annoy anyone else as much as it does me? Or did I just get up on the wrong side of the bed today?

Albert B[/quote]

The AI annoys me too....besides being unnecessary, railroading every square is just stupid looking.

------------------
Nam si violandum est ius, regnandi gratia violandum est: aliis rebus pietatem colas
Old February 22, 2001, 11:18   #5
Sieve Too
Prince

Local Time: 22:53
In a similar vein, the AI will waste engineer time building farmland on deserts and mines on glaciers instead of transforming those useless terrains to something better.