Old February 18, 2003, 11:50   #1
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:55
Local Date: November 1, 2010
10 Tips to get you up to Emperor/Deity
Hi all,

A nice aspect of the Strat forum here on 'Poly is the willingness of "veterans" to help out the "beginners". This usually involves constructive comments on a posted screenshot or savegame. However, I've noticed (being here in force since last September) that the veterans eventually tire of giving out advice, since the same things get said from newbie to newbie (sorry for the condescending terminology...I mean nothing by it). So, newcomers sometimes get the short end of the "advice stick", simply because the experts are not interested in repeating themselves all the time.

I myself make no claims to being an "expert", but I do give out my fair share of advice, and so feel this thread is justified.

SO, here is my "top ten" list of tips that newer players need to learn about. Put another way, if you're still confused about how to beat Emperor or Deity, here are the tricks that will put you beyond Regent/Monarch.

1. Micro-manage your Workers

By this, I do not mean "do not leave them on auto-improve", I mean make sure you know exactly what every Worker is doing before 10AD, and how each city is directly benefitting from this. Try not to improve tiles that you will not be using in the near-future. Look into the city view to see in how many turns that city will grow, and compare that to know the time-to-completion of Worker actions. Mentally plan ahead the next ten or so turns to see where your Workers would be most useful. Seems like a lot of work, but it is worth it.

2. Place your cities closer together

Cold truth: if you're placing your cities so that there's is no workable-tile overlap, you're less effective than a player who packs them in tighter. There is still an ongoing debate as to what is the best way to place cities, but the moral here is: do not be squeamish about placing cities 3 tiles apart (city-tile-tile-city) or closer. I'll avoid the details of this here ("but my cities never grow beyond size 12!"), but just do it and you'll find yourself a lot more competitive.

3. Build Granaries

Many players disregard Granaries entirely, probably because their benefits require some attention to notice. The efficient use of Granaries is one of the most powerful early-game strategies, usually involving one or more Settler/Worker "pumps". Yes, you feel like you're not expanding fast enough, but this is misleading. It is fully possible to out-expand the AI on Emperor using Granaries (and sometimes even Diety, if the stars align...).

4. Know the effects of Corruption

Another "nitty-gritty" detail, but one that is well worth knowing. There are a lot of issues here, which just goes to show how pervasive (and therefore important) Corruption is in the game. Fortunately, there are some good threads here on 'Poly that discuss Corruption, in varying levels of detail. Sorry if I cannot offer more advice here, but I'm still working on this aspect of my own game!

5. Contact the other civs every round

Another behaviour that seems excessive: what possible good can come from seeing Hammurabi's face round after round? Plenty. There are "windows" of trading opportunity that are sometimes only open for one round at a time. For example, a civ may have discovered a tech and not traded it around to all other civs yet, allowing you to profit from it as well. Or, a civ may have a few Workers available for trade (probably due to war). Or, a civ may have just ended a large gpt deal with another civ, leaving it momentarily rich, and thus a great source for trading. Etc., etc. There is a lot of new information in the diplomacy screen from round to round, you just need to be willing to put in the time to get it.

6. Use the upgrade ability extensively

Knights->Cavalry for 20 gold is a no-brainer. But did you ever consider building Chariots to upgrade to Horsemen? Gold is easier to come by than Shields, meaning that the more units you can produce at a lower Shield cost, the better a standing army you'll have when you get the cash to upgrade everything. Sometimes, it is even a wise idea not to connect a resource (Iron, Horses, mostly) just so that you can keep building the "weaker" unit. The Persian/Roman tactic of building Veteran Warriors, then upgrading them to powerful UUs, applies to all other civs.

7. Place your Palace and Forbidden Palace wisely

The location of your Palace is not static: you can move it around using a "Palace jump", or rush it with a Leader in another city. The Forbidden Palace is static, however. Effective placement of these two improvements (especially the FP) can make the difference between a average empire and an excellent one. This obviously is related to the Corruption tip mentioned above.

8. Sell techs

This is counter-intuitive, but experience shows that it is a very powerful tool. By getting gpt for your techs (ideally from numerous civs), you keep the AI poor and therefore unable to conduct rapid research. It is not always necessary to get a "good deal". Once you become a tech broker, the deals will get better and better.

9. Master the Light and Dark Sides

By this I mean, play at least one game as a bloodthirsty warmonger, and one as a peaceful builder. Know how to play the extremes. The 'No Improvement Challenge' is great for the former, while the 'One City Challenge' is good for the latter. Only once you've tasted the extremes will you be efficient at warmongering/building in a "normal" game. Too many players build Universities during war. Similarly, too many players have huge standing armies when they need almost none.

10. Persist!

Yes, the AI gets advantages of the human player, and will often out-expand you, and jump way ahead in the tech tree. But there is plenty of time and opportunity to catch up. If you expect to always be "the best", or close to it, in any single game, you'll find yourself quitting more often than not at Emperor/Deity. But if you stick with it and play your best, you'll end up on top, and will have overcome a challenge. To me, at least, those are the best victories.

Edit: A lot of people might want to throw in their own tips, which is just fine. But I just have to include this eleventh one for the sake of completeness (I'm not quite sure how I forgot this one!):

11. Use the Luxury slider

Really critical. Many beginner-to-average players do not know what this little thing can do for you. Let's just say if the AI used this tool effectively, we'd all have to jump down a difficulty level.

Hope this helps some of you, and sorry to all the veterans who know all this already!

Dominae

Last edited by Dominae; February 18, 2003 at 16:18.
Old February 18, 2003, 12:38   #2
metalhead
Warlord

Nice points, Dominae. I will add that point 10 is probably the most important. It's easy to start an Emperor game, get behind, and then quit and go back to Monarch. The best way to learn how to succeed at higher levels is to play them, as it takes a lot of patience on your first couple tries. God knows I quit enough Emperor level games when Monarch was becoming a little too easy. Finally, I stuck with a game, and despite being 8-10 techs behind at one point, and the lessons I learned helped me greatly in all subsequent Emperor games.

A good point to remember - if you are truly stuck and don't know how to proceed, come to the 'poly, post a save, and ask for input, as you will get the best response to your questions. Not only will people give you tips on the best way to proceed, but will likely also provide very helpful critiques of your game up to that point.
Old February 18, 2003, 12:44   #3
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 14:55
#1 Agreed.

#2 Depends upon the map. The corruption due to CN is much more important than corrupion due to distance for non-Comerical civs. For the Commerical civs, their cities need to reach pop 13 for optimum use of their traights.
The only times I go as tight as 3 tiles is when there is a shortage of land area.

#3: Depends upon how much expansion is left when you discover Pottery and also the adviabity of fresh water. There's not much of a point in a Granery in a city without fresh water when REX is already winding down.

#4: Yes

#5: Good idea as well

#6: For some reason everytime I'm ready to start building mobile units I'm already discovered Horse Back Riding. This has something to do with the AI seeming to make Horse Back Riding a high priority and me buying every tech from them as fast as possible.

#7: Most definately. I can usually outreserach the AI without the FP on Monarch level, but on the Emperor level, it's very rare to be able to do so until the FP is built.

#8: Other techs and Gold hard cash are much better than a GPT deal. With a GPT deal, you occansionly have to give into a demand for 20 - 30 gold so that they don't whelch on the remainder of the deal. Instead use standard bussiness cash management of receiving cash as soon as possible and delaying payment, when the AI demands the gold, you can give them the middle finger and honorallly get out of debt free when they declare war.

#9 , # 10 true.

Things not listed:

#11: Micro manage the tech slider. Be aware that the maximum reserach time provided you are spending at least 1 beaker a turn is 40 turns when the minimum reserach time for a human is 4 turns. Extra beakers are lost.

#12: Know the AIs tech research pattern. For instance, if you are Commerical and the neighboring AI isn't, you can almost certinately built the AI to Writing spending 1 beaker a turn for the first 40 turns.

#13: Be aware of the difference in cost between buying a tech & reseraching itself. While normally most techs are valued by the AI at less than research cost, there are some that are valued at higher than reserach cost, especally if you've even been at war with that AI.

#14: Don't sit on cash with the exception of the 1000 gold reserve when you build Wall Street. The AI can not take away cash you don't have. Instead use the cash to rush structures after leaving Despotism, upgrade units, and run a deficit reseraching techs.
Old February 18, 2003, 12:50   #4
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Definately, you can come back from being far behind in techs with a catalyst or two.

Peacefull ones:

Completion of the FP.

Also a Golden Age that's spent building an interferstructre helps.

Military catalyst:
Take over a few cities of your higher tech neighbor, then give peace for 20 turns in exchange for all their techs, then finish the job.

Quote:
Originally posted by metalhead
Nice points, Dominae. I will add that point 10 is probably the most important. It's easy to start an Emperor game, get behind, and then quit and go back to Monarch. The best way to learn how to succeed at higher levels is to play them, as it takes a lot of patience on your first couple tries. God knows I quit enough Emperor level games when Monarch was becoming a little too easy. Finally, I stuck with a game, and despite being 8-10 techs behind at one point, and the lessons I learned helped me greatly in all subsequent Emperor games.
Old February 18, 2003, 12:51   #5
BRC
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Prince

Local Time: 13:55
Great job Dom! That pretty much sums it up. I was going to make a thread on what I've learned on my way to Emperor in a week or two, but this pretty much takes care of it.

You still need a basic understanding of the game to use these tips. Managing your workers will be amazingly helpful, if you prioritize the jobs correctly. Packing cities closer helps, but it can be a lot more powerful if you know what to look for in a city site. Graneries, in the right situation, can make the game easy.

I think that your selling techs tip may be the most important. I know that it seems ridiculous to sell the tech that you just researched for 1/2 of what it's worth, but you have to. You will break the AI's banks. Another key is to also make sure that you "give" it away to the really poor civs too. This way, they will not boost the stronger AI's cash flow. Hopefully, the weak AI's don't pose a threat anyway.

Dom's last point is important too. If you're behind, don't worry. There will be an opportunity. Just make sure that you, and you're military ( ) is ready.

[endorsement]I've already been through all this with Dom. We have a whole thread on the help he has given me. He knows what it takes. Listen to the man. [/endorsement]
Old February 18, 2003, 13:07   #6
joncnunn
Emperor

Forgot another few:

#15: Explore! The AI pays big bucks for World Maps. Just be sure to do it at the right time. Wrong time: When there are spots a city is allowed to be built on land masses 2+ tiles from your contientant that aren't blocked by a unit.

#16: Only sell during your turn; not the AIs. Also wait for your own turn to buy a tech for instead of the AIs. You may get a better deal on the buying of the tech waiting when the AI is actively selling it.

#17: If selling to 1 AI, sell to all that's aren't broke at once.

#18: Compare prices. Even if you've been at peace with everybody the whole game, some techs may be willing to part with the same tech for a few credits less than the others.
Old February 18, 2003, 13:10   #7
Dominae
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by joncnunn
#2 Depends upon the map. The corruption due to CN is much more important than corrupion due to distance for non-Comerical civs. For the Commerical civs, their cities need to reach pop 13 for optimum use of their traights.
The only times I go as tight as 3 tiles is when there is a shortage of land area.
The fact that you have this knowledge means that you can check this tip off your list, so to speak. My point is that knowledge of Corruption is very useful for higher-level play.

Quote:
#3: Depends upon how much expansion is left when you discover Pottery and also the adviabity of fresh water. There's not much of a point in a Granery in a city without fresh water when REX is already winding down.
Clearly there are circumstances when a Granary should not be built in a particular city. My point is that the usage of Granaries is critical enough when they are needed that it should not be forgotten. My advice covers the case when all is needed is a Granary in one or two Settler/Worker pumps.

Quote:
#6: For some reason everytime I'm ready to start building mobile units I'm already discovered Horse Back Riding. This has something to do with the AI seeming to make Horse Back Riding a high priority and me buying every tech from them as fast as possible.
Refuse HBR, and do not research it yourself until you are ready.

Quote:
#8: Other techs and Gold hard cash are much better than a GPT deal. With a GPT deal, you occansionly have to give into a demand for 20 - 30 gold so that they don't whelch on the remainder of the deal.
This last point has never happened to me. Trading for gpt reduces the AI's effectiveness in research; getting the gold from their treasury does not. This is because the AI does not use deficit spending to conduct research. Oftentimes other civs will not have large sums available, but they do have gpt available every few turns (when their deals end or they discover techs).

Thanks for the comments, though. Always appreciated.

Dominae
Old February 18, 2003, 13:14   #8
Dominae
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by BRC
Great job Dom! That pretty much sums it up. I was going to make a thread on what I've learned on my way to Emperor in a week or two, but this pretty much takes care of it.
Oops, sorry BRC! I still think your thread could be valuable, in a "this is what how I've changed, why I'm a better player now" kind of way (yeah, way to express yourself, Dom).

Quote:
You still need a basic understanding of the game to use these tips.
True. I'm not catering to the very beginners here (there are oodles of threads for that), just the people that way to make that leap into better play.

Quote:
[endorsement]I've already been through all this with Dom. We have a whole thread on the help he has given me. He knows what it takes. Listen to the man. [/endorsement]
Ha! Thanks BRC. You are, of course, aware that many of my comments come directly from our little "chats".

Dominae
Old February 18, 2003, 14:13   #9
badams52
King

Local Time: 11:55
10 Reasons to continue playing at Regent/Monarch level
Great thread Dom,

Good tips and checks for people learning the game to reach the higher levels. Now, with tongue planted firmly in cheek, I give you 10 Reasons to contuinue playing at Regent/Monarch level.

10. I hate it when the AI has an unfair advantage.
9. Chieftain can out REX me.
8. Higher levels require more thought and time to win.
7. My wife/g.f. won't let me.
6. I want to dominate from beginning to end.
5. One word: Micromanagement.
4. I want my HOF to stay around the 2000-4000 level.
3. The AI cheats.
2. It doesn't matter what level I play, I'm the best.
1. If I wanted a challenge, I'd play chess.

Old February 18, 2003, 14:26   #10
yxhuvud
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:55
Very nice thread!

Regarding #3: It all depends on the available space you have to rex in. Telling newbies to build granaries as generally as you do is wrong imo, since ime the times where you shouldn't build granaries far outnumber when it's good to build them. Regarding rexing as fast as the opponents at emperor, I do that given that I've got decent land, and if I get a cow I always outrex them. I think this is because well managed workers and tight city spacing (a settler that builds closer spends less time traveling) gives me enough extra effectivity to push me ahead of the AI, despite their advantages.

This is not saying granaries are always bad, but rather that they are often unessecary or that it doesn't matter if you build them or not. The only things you *really* need to beat emperor is well managed workers, good city placement and decent military experience. When you learn to attack at the right time with a sufficent number of troops, and to do big warrior->swordsmen upgrades (which is *much* easier to do than chariot->horsemen). what I mean by military experience also includes oscillating war. Learning to do those as opposed to annihilation wars is also extremely important, since they tend to make so that you will keep up in tech in a way you might not do otherwise. I cannot stress enough the usefulness of this. Learn to do these things well enough and that will be more than enough to beat emperor, with enough practice, even if it hard the first few times.

Regarding #8: I would rephrace it is follows: Know when to sell techs. There is no use giving techs away for nothing, and you definitely shouldn't sell techs that give you a real advantage, like good military units (I will so no sell Replaceable Parts if I am the first to it), or wonder enablers. But if you get a good deal, and not lose anything by selling it go ahead.

regarding joncumms #14: That point is flat out wrong. While it is a good idea not to have too much money, saving ahead to upgrade all units at once, or to buy a tech etc. Especially the saving to upgrade a LOT of units is powerful.
Old February 18, 2003, 14:55   #11
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Good tips, Dominae, although I don't have the patience to contact every civ every round (at least not on anything short of Deity, which I essentially never play). I usually figure out when a deal I'd be interested in is likely to be available and contact AIs then. (And sometimes I do contact at least my main rivals for several turns straight watching for the right timing for a deal - for example, trying to time the sale of Steam Power right before my archrival discovers it and can sell it themselves. If a civ has surplus gold, you can sometimes watch its research progress by watching the amount it is willing to offer you for a tech decline.)

Regarding selling techs, I do have a counterpoint: technologically backward civs can make great targets, but only if you keep them backward. If they can give you a halfway respectable price, sell to them before they buy from one of your competitors. But if they can't, let them slip behind so when you're ready to invade them, you'll have a technological edge. Even if three of your competitors are even with you in tech, there may be a couple others lagging far enough behind that you can get a clear technological advantage. And invading with cavalry before an opponent has riflemen (for example) can be a good way to get extra territory relatively cheaply.

Speaking of which, always watch the scientific civs near the end of the medieval era. With almost no exceptions, they get Nationalism the moment they finish their last medieval techs, and that can throw a monkey wrench into cavalry-based invasion plans.

Nathan
Old February 18, 2003, 15:40   #12
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by yxhuvud
Very nice thread!

regarding joncumms #14: That point is flat out wrong. While it is a good idea not to have too much money, saving ahead to upgrade all units at once, or to buy a tech etc. Especially the saving to upgrade a LOT of units is powerful.
I don't think he was saying that. It was mentioned to use the money for upgrades. The point is that money is not earning interest unless you have Wall street and then you only need 1000.
I think the point is to use your money, not pile up 10,000, while you could be buying useful structures or units.
Old February 18, 2003, 15:49   #13
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Another thing gold can be used for is to support future deficit spending on research, although leveraging rush-bought improvements to get more gold or science in the future is often a better investment. Or if you're planning an invasion to build a new core, you might want to stockpile gold to rush improvements there (perhaps especially courthouses in outlying areas) if your original core is in pretty good shape. The real point is, don't stockpile gold instead of spending it unless you have some specific reason for doing so.
Old February 18, 2003, 15:53   #14
joncnunn
Emperor

Reference to #14 upgrades:

If you have the tech already but can't upgrade all of them at once, then upgrade what you can now and the rest later rather than wait until you have enough money to upgrade.

Now if you don't have the tech to upgrade the units yet but will in the near future, then saving up specifially to be able to upgrade as many as possible on the turn discovered is a good idea. (Same applies if you have the tech but the resource isn't connected yet.)

Ref to #14 techs:

On tech buying, in the situation where all my GPT + all my gold isn't enough to buy a tech, I usually prefer to use what money I do have to rush structures that improve the economy. (Court Houses, Market Places, etc.)
Old February 18, 2003, 15:53   #15
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:
Speaking of which, always watch the scientific civs near the end of the medieval era.
- Nathan

I take this a bit further. If possible, KILL scientific civs before the end of the medieval era.

Sometimes that isn't possible, I know. But if you're pondering an invasion of another continent with Cavalry and have any doubt about whom to hit, hit the scientific guys.

-Arrian, who has the dubious distinction of being named the "Nationalism Nazi"

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old February 18, 2003, 15:57   #16
joncnunn
Emperor

AI's and deficits:

The AI is not allowed to sign a deal that would result in the GPT going negative.

The fact that the AI is willing to give you 100 GPT means that they currently aren't going all out for science.

For that matter, the AI won't accept GPT from you either if it would result in a deficit, so you may need to trick the AI by waiting until your turn, lowering the science rate to 0%, calling them up and signing the deal, and raising the science rate back up to what it was.
Old February 18, 2003, 15:58   #17
Dominae
Emperor

badams: .

Nathan, you know the game well enough to know when contacting the AIs repeatedly is necessary or not (your example proves my point). I was just trying to make the point that it is possible to "miss out" on important deals if do not have this knowledge. The easiest way to avoid this (the alternative being loads of experience) is use the diplomacy screen very often ("every turn" just sounds better!). I learned this lesson well in OCC, which is essentially all about diplomacy.

Also, I can make the same point about selling techs: clearly I was being extreme to try and get my point across. The idea is simply that selling techs is not a "bad thing". Players used to the "easy life" on Regent/Monarch love their tech lead so much that selling techs sounds just wrong. I think such players could definitely benefit from losing this bias.

yxhuvud (did I ever mention your name is tough to spell correctly from memory?!), I agree that telling players to always build Granaries is misleading (I defended this point in another thread). But, IMO, top players make very good use of Granaries, and it just so happens that Granaries are useful more often than not. I would not say they're essential, but they're a very powerful tool. A newer player would do well to learn to use them.

Your point about selling techs is exactly the kind of reasoning I'm warning against! If you only sell techs that give the AI "no advantage" and that will net you "good deals", you're crippling your economy. If I can get 100+ gpt from 3-4 different civs for Replaceable Parts, you bet I'm going trade it to them. Tech brokering is really very powerful.

Dominae
Old February 18, 2003, 16:01   #18
joncnunn
Emperor

#19 Know the Terraign:

Cities seperated from fresh water access or coast by 1 tile : Generally highly undesirable.

Rivers: Most valuable tiles in the game.

Hostile terriagn: Still needed because that is where most of the valuable resources appear.
(Oil always appears in Tundra / Desert, Rubber often appears in tiles that were Jungle in 4000 BC.)
Old February 18, 2003, 16:02   #19
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

#2 and #10 are probably the main reasons I do not enjoy Emperor, let alone Diety. And I'm ok with that.

Good list, and good suggested additions by others.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old February 18, 2003, 16:12   #20
nbarclay
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
I take this a bit further. If possible, KILL scientific civs before the end of the medieval era.
What do you think is number 1 on my list of things to watch them for?

On the other hand, if a scientific civ will have been a tech away from the industrial era for three or four turns by the time your invasion force is ready to go, that might suggest some other civ as a better target.
Old February 18, 2003, 16:34   #21
Arrian
Deity

Heh, that happened to me relatively recently. My Roman invasion force (lots of Cav, backed by some muskets, cannon, and leftover legionaries) landed in Korea a couple of turns AFTER they got nationalism. I still beat the tar out of them, but it was bloodier than I'd hoped it would be. Kyoto (size 12, on a hill) was a PitA.

-Arrian

Old February 18, 2003, 17:00   #22
nbarclay
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae

Nathan, you know the game well enough to know when contacting the AIs repeatedly is necessary or not (your example proves my point). I was just trying to make the point that it is possible to "miss out" on important deals if do not have this knowledge. The easiest way to avoid this (the alternative being loads of experience) is use the diplomacy screen very often ("every turn" just sounds better!). I learned this lesson well in OCC, which is essentially all about diplomacy.
I agree 100% that checking every turn is the ideal, especially for people who don't have a lot of experience figuring out when good deals are likely to be available. I'm just highly skeptical of how many people will have the patience to do put that ideal into practice. Ultimately, both points are important - the ideal, and how to get the most out of contacts if you find the ideal to be more trouble than it's worth.

Quote:
Also, I can make the same point about selling techs: clearly I was being extreme to try and get my point across. The idea is simply that selling techs is not a "bad thing". Players used to the "easy life" on Regent/Monarch love their tech lead so much that selling techs sounds just wrong. I think such players could definitely benefit from losing this bias.
The danger is that people might go from one extreme to the other when the ideal is somewhere in the middle. If you don't sell techs at all, you lose out on an opportunity to leverage AI gold to research faster, maybe rush-build some extra infrastructure if there's gold left over, and ultimately build up a bigger tech lead than you could get without trading. But at the other extreme, if you sell techs dirt cheap to anyone who can pay the moment you get them, you can't build up a lead. The trick is to find the middle ground where you're siphoning off most of the AIs' available gpt most of the time without giving the AIs better deals than is necessary in the process.

Nathan
Old February 18, 2003, 17:24   #23
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 12:55
Quote:
... But at the other extreme, if you sell techs dirt cheap to anyone who can pay the moment you get them, you can't build up a lead. ...
It is my understanding that the point is to sell them to all the AI civs in the correct order. Labor intensive -- pretend that your staff is doing it, not yourself.
  • On the turn you get the tech (or decide to trade it), visit everyone to find who has the most funds, and see who is willing to offer the most. DO NOT DO ANY ACTUAL TRADES.
  • After research is done, do the actual trading, from most profitable to least.
(The point being that as more civs have the tech, the less value it has to others because its research time is reduced.)
Old February 18, 2003, 17:45   #24
joncnunn
Emperor

Also, for map trading:

1. First buy every body's maps. (Skip civs that say that 1 gold is acceptable for their WM; it's worthless.)

2. Then sell from most profitable to least profitable.
Old February 18, 2003, 17:47   #25
nbarclay
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybe

It is my understanding that the point is to sell them to all the AI civs in the correct order. Labor intensive -- pretend that your staff is doing it, not yourself.
  • On the turn you get the tech (or decide to trade it), visit everyone to find who has the most funds, and see who is willing to offer the most. DO NOT DO ANY ACTUAL TRADES.
  • After research is done, do the actual trading, from most profitable to least.
(The point being that as more civs have the tech, the less value it has to others because its research time is reduced.)
Right, but make sure you figure any tech and luxuries you can get from the deal into your calculations too. And keep in mind that the value of techs you trade for also diminishes depending on how many civs know them.

By the way, another of my big tech trading tricks is to get my luxuries as part of my deals on tech sales. When doing that, it's useful to have as many of the deals as possible expire at the same time, since each such deal locks the timing of some of my tech sales into a 20-turn cycle.

Nathan
Old February 18, 2003, 19:46   #26
yxhuvud
Chieftain

Local Time: 20:55
dominae regarding tech brokering: well, I admit it might be a bit farfetched to say that I would never sell replaceable parts, I wouldn't even think on it if I were to wage a war within a reasonable timeframe. On the other hand, this might be kinda influenced that the last games I've played have been largely building a few infantry and a gazillion of artillery

Regarding granaries, check your target audience, are they mainly warmongers or builders? In my experience, monarch players are mostly builders. Arrian not inlcuded.

Joncunn: if you save your incomes a few turns eventually you will be able to buy a tech for the money. It is of course a balance act to choose when to save and when to build improvements. It all comes down to which techs and whcih improvements.

Arrian, you should really take the step up to emperor permanantly. You will not improve unless you take on a challenge, which you don't at that level. At least for me, half the charm in playing the game is the mental challenge and the improvement of my play. Without any such challenge I might as well be playing Hearts.. Not saying that can't be satisfying anyhow, if in a different way.

Hmm. Dave, do you have any suggestions on how to survive the initial onslaught at deity? I feel I have a nice chance of winning as long as noone attacks me first, while if they do I am totally b0rked.

Regarding the spelling of my nick, I happen to live in a country where it is pronouncible and actually almost means something

#20: Place your cities so that not only you get production from as much land tiles as possible, but as many coast and sea tiles as well. This allows for tighter city placement close to coasts to maximize the amount of tiles you get production from. A wealthy civ have it much easier than a poor one.
Old February 18, 2003, 20:19   #27
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Great tips, Dom, and very much in the spirit of the Strat forum!!!

Good additional comments by all.

Re granaries: I didn't use to build them early... I pretty much learned how to do Settler pumps from Nathan. This is a great tip for semi-new players, as long as they learn *where* to build them. In AU 204, at Monarch, I kicked the ever-lvon' cr-p outta the Greeks when REXing... I think I had 7 towns to their 4, and I got all the good territory.

Tip # 20 (and I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet): When you a ready to go to war, don;t screw around. You want a minimum of 8-10 units for a given town, and god knows how many for cities and metros. Hit'em fast and hit'em hard.

(there's probably a lot of other military stuff to add here)
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old February 18, 2003, 21:46   #28
badams52
King

Local Time: 11:55
Quote:
Originally posted by nbarclay

By the way, another of my big tech trading tricks is to get my luxuries as part of my deals on tech sales. When doing that, it's useful to have as many of the deals as possible expire at the same time, since each such deal locks the timing of some of my tech sales into a 20-turn cycle.
Another thing to keep in mind when trading for luxuries is that luxuries #s 1 and 2 are least expensive, 3 and 4 are next, 5 and 6 next, and the most expensive are numbers 7 and 8. Supply and demand make some difference, but by far the biggest factor is how many happy faces the luxury will give you. So if you're trading for 5 luxuries from other civs, then try and get all 5 trades to end on the same turn. That way, you'll at least get a discout for the first few. If your 5 luxury deals end sporatically where you're always bargaining for just one, then you're paying the same rate for all 5 of them.

edit: typos
Old February 18, 2003, 22:43   #29
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
badams, nice one... never thought of it that way.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old February 18, 2003, 22:58   #30
nbarclay
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by badams52

Another thing to keep in mind when trading for luxuries is that luxuries #s 1 and 2 are least expensive, 3 and 4 are next, 5 and 6 next, and the most expensive are numbers 7 and 8. Supply and demand make some difference, but by far the biggest factor is how many happy faces the luxury will give you. So if you're trading for 5 luxuries from other civs, then try and get all 5 trades to end on the same turn. That way, you'll at least get a discout for the first few. If your 5 luxury deals end sporatically where you're always bargaining for just one, then you're paying the same rate for all 5 of them.
Also keep in mind that if deals involve something per turn on both sides and a resource is involved, they don't terminate automatically just because something up front was part of the deal. The best procedure is to end the deals that didn't terminate automatically before negotiating new deals on a "highest value first" basis, since that means you won't have the luxuries from those deals when you start negotiating.