Old February 19, 2003, 09:24   #1
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 21:59
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Guilty in over 3000 cases....
Quote:
HAMBURG, Germany -- A German court has jailed a Moroccan man for 15 years after convicting him of aiding the September 11 suicide hijackers in the first trial anywhere of a suspected attack conspirator.

Mounir el Motassadeq, a 28-year-old electrical engineering student, was found guilty of being an accessory to 3,045 murders in New York and Washington and being a member of a terrorist organisation.

CNN's Matthew Chance said the 15-year sentence was the maximum the court could impose under German law. Much of the evidence was cirumstantial and he was convicted by association with other al Qaeda members and not by direct evidence, Chance said.

In addition to the 3,045 counts of accessory to murder, he was convicted of five counts of attempted murder and bodily injury.

Prosecutors alleged he provided logistical support for the Hamburg al Qaeda cell that included lead hijacker Mohamed Atta, who piloted one of the two airliners that crashed into the World Trade Center.

Police blocked off the street in front of the Hamburg courthouse on Wednesday morning as dozens of journalists queued for tight security screening to enter the building.

El Motassadeq consistently denied the charges during his three-and-a-half-month trial and his lawyers were seeking an acquittal from the five-judge panel.

During the trial the defendant acknowledged he knew the six other alleged members of the Hamburg cell -- Atta plus two other pilots of the airliners, Ziad Jarrah and Marwan al-Shehhi; and logisticians Ramzi Binalshibh, Said Bahaji and Zakariya Essabar.

El Motassadeq admits knowing the alleged leader of the al Qaeda plot, Mohamed Atta.
Of Atta, the Moroccan told CNN shortly before his arrest in the fall of 2001: "We visited each other, talked like normal friends."

But he said he knew nothing of the plans for September 11.

"I couldn't believe that people I knew could do something like that," el Motassadeq said in his closing statement last week. "I watched it on television and I was shocked ... I can only hope that something like September 11 never happens again."

But witnesses testified that el Motassadeq, a slight, bearded man, was as radical as the rest of the group, talking of jihad -- holy war -- and his hatred of Israel and the United States.

The defendant himself admitted training in a camp run by Osama bin Laden -- the al Qaeda chief alleged by the U.S. to be the mastermind of the September 11 attacks -- in Afghanistan in 2000.

Prosecutors alleged el Motassadeq used his power of attorney over al-Shehhi's bank account to pay rent, tuition and utility bills, allowing the plotters to keep up the appearance of being normal students in Germany.

El Motassadeq argued he was simply providing an innocent service to friends and that he took weapons training in Afghanistan because he believed all Muslims should learn to shoot.

The defence tried several times unsuccessfully to obtain testimony by two of el Motassadeq's friends, Ramzi Binalshibh and Mohammed Haydar Zammar -- a lack of evidence that the lawyers say could be grounds for an appeal in case of a guilty verdict.

Prosecutors allege el Motassadeq provided logistical support for the World Trade Center attacks.
Binalshibh, a Yemeni suspect in U.S. custody, is believed to have been the Hamburg cell's key contact with al Qaeda. Zammar, an alleged al Qaeda recruiter in Hamburg, is in prison in Syria.

The court failed to get the men released to testify and German authorities refused to turn over their files on the two, saying transcripts of their interrogations were provided to them on condition they only be used for intelligence purposes.

Motassadeq, a member of a middle-class family, came to Germany in 1993 to study. By 1995, he was studying electrical engineering in Hamburg, where he is believed to have first met Atta no later than the following year.

Lawyers representing Americans who lost family members on September 11 had said they would appeal if el Motassadeq did not receive close to the maximum sentence. Family members are allowed to be co-plaintiffs under German law.

Family members of American victims became co-plaintiffs and testified in court, including Stephen Push, who lost his his wife in the September 11 attack on New York.

"One of the most disturbing things about the case was the discovery that the German authorities knew much about this al Qaeda cell years prior to the September 11 attack," he told CNN.

"Just like the authorities in the United States -- the FBI and CIA -- they were aware of some of these individuals, have been tracking them and yet were not able to connect the dots, were not able to use that information to prevent the attacks."
From http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe...ial/index.html

Discuss
Old February 19, 2003, 09:38   #2
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Prosecutors alleged he provided logistical support for the Hamburg al Qaeda cell that included lead hijacker Mohamed Atta
not even small fish
tiny fish.....
Old February 19, 2003, 11:01   #3
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 15:59
But a fish nonetheless.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old February 19, 2003, 11:02   #4
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 20:59
Or at least aquatic in his tendencies
Old February 19, 2003, 11:13   #5
DanS
Deity

Why does Germany have such low sentencing guidelines? 3,000 cases of accessory to murder should put you behind bars for the rest of your life, at least.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old February 19, 2003, 11:18   #6
dudemanjack
Warlord

DanS: I was thinking the same thing. 3000 accessory to murder charges and you get the MAXIUMUM of 15 years? In the U.S. he'd have like 100 life sentences or some ridiculous sentence like 1000 years to life.
Old February 19, 2003, 11:18   #7
TheStinger
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
Why does Germany have such low sentencing guidelines? 3,000 cases of accessory to murder should put you behind bars for the rest of your life, at least.
Because they are a democracy and theats what their parliament has legislated for.(mandatory life sentences aer uncommon in europe) In Englan you get sentenced to life for attempted murder but it doesn't mean that. It just means you are liable for recall to prison if you are naughty once you are released.

15 years is quite a long time in terms of european sentencing.
Old February 19, 2003, 11:25   #8
DanS
Deity

Yes, I gathered that. But doesn't it strike you as disproportionate? This guy helped in the murder of 3,000 people.

Edit: To be clear, I am happy that the German authorities were thorough and got the conviction. No complaints there at all.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Last edited by DanS; February 19, 2003 at 11:32.
Old February 19, 2003, 11:33   #9
TheStinger
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
Yes, I gathered that. But doesn't it strike you as disproportionate? This guy helped in the murder of 3,000 people.

Edit: To be clear, I am happy that the German authorities were thorough and got the conviction. No complaints there at all.
Yes, he should be in for a lot longer than 15 years.

I think it smacks of the judge not really thinking he was very involved though.
Old February 19, 2003, 11:34   #10
GePap
Emperor

Local Time: 13:59
As far as the article goes, the main reason for the low sentence is that the quality of the vidence is low. There was ntohing to directly tie him to Atta. If there had been direct evidence, the authorities would have been able to bing tougher charges against him.
"Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw
Old February 19, 2003, 11:35   #11
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
This guy helped in the murder of 3,000 people.
math works both ways. how many hours were spent on the preparation of the attack? how many hours did this guy spent for the preparation?

do the math
Old February 19, 2003, 11:38   #12
DanS
Deity

do the math

What? He has his master's degree in terrorism from OBLU.
Old February 19, 2003, 11:44   #13
MarkG
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Osama Bin Laden University?
Old February 19, 2003, 12:11   #14
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 14:59
I'd castrate these guys... then put them in a prison where all the guards are super-butch women. Coming from a culture where women are dosile and treated like property, it's a fitting punishment.
Old February 19, 2003, 12:32   #15
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

15 years. Send the guy to Texas.
Old February 19, 2003, 13:13   #16
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

15 years? Not much, but better than what he would have gotten in Denmark... I believe he would proberbly have gotten like 10 years... but for some other reason, he got out after 10 days...

Danish court system is the worst I've ever heard about... We even have a guy "in jail", but he's running his own television show, while in prison (which means he gets out of the prison to make the show)... or so I've heard...
Old February 19, 2003, 13:16   #17
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
We even have a guy "in jail", but he's running his own television show, while in prison (which means he gets out of the prison to make the show)...
Jail is usually meant to be a punishment, not serve as a hotel.
Old February 19, 2003, 14:00   #18
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Try to tell that to our court system...