Old February 19, 2003, 14:57   #1
blackbrc
Settler

Local Time: 15:00
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Commlink Pop-Up Window Issue
Hey all,

I've searched through the forums, but I haven't found this problem mentioned anywhere.

On occasion, other faction leaders attempt to contact me with the Commlink pop-up window. I click "OK," but the window just re-displays. This happens about 5 or 6 times in succession, then stops.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Are there any known resolutions?

Thanks,
Robert
Old February 19, 2003, 16:10   #2
Mongoose
ACDG The Free Drones
King

I know of no resolutions. I think that only happens when they are going to threaten you with a Planet Buster.
Old February 19, 2003, 16:11   #3
sevencubed
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 22:00
It happens often. I don't know if it is a bug or not, just ignore it. It is not supposed to mean anything and the only thing that it does is to break your nerves.

As far as the timing (that is after having Planet Busters available), i have seen it and at earlier stages of the game

Last edited by sevencubed; February 19, 2003 at 16:57.
Old February 19, 2003, 16:29   #4
blackbrc
Settler

It's good to know that other people experience the same issue. Thanks for the info. I'll ignore the messages.
Old February 19, 2003, 16:39   #5
Static Universe
Alpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 14:00
Welcome blackbrc/Robert!

I would say these messages are related to threats of some kind, but I think I've seen them pre-Planet Buster. I get these at least twice every game (SP), usually several pop-ups in a row and then nothing, but occasionally the last one will pop up with the generic "This planet isn't big enough for the both of us" boast for that faction (the one you can't respond to anyway). If that's what it is everytime, I can't say.

It may or may not be a bug, but I definitely agree with Sevencubed that they can break your concentration, especially if you think you've just missed out on an unknown opportunity of some kind with the other faction, or made them mad(der).

When I first started playing the game several years ago, and before I realized there were more than a few bugs in the game, these pop-ups used to drive me nuts. I used to worry that I was missing some important communication, but they don't seem to change much in regards to the relationship between my faction and the other, so I just ignore them now.

If it's not a bug and this is the intent, it's pretty ingenius.
Old February 20, 2003, 08:11   #6
zsozso
Alpha Centauri PBEMSpore
Prince

Yes it is a know bug, it is bug#0030 on the "Official" list, I just bumped that thread for everyone to see them all again:
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...&threadid=7650