Old February 20, 2003, 16:04   #61
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 22:02
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Well you don't look like you honour that debt either
Old February 20, 2003, 16:14   #62
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 16:02
What are you on about?

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old February 20, 2003, 17:12   #63
LDiCesare
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Just to point out that Chirac and his prime minister are both short-tempered and heavy-footed fellows who tend no tot like much opposition. That means they are not very good diplomats.
Now, that France would be trying to impose its yoke on Europe through the EU, well, every other country in the union does, too. However, the point is to be stronger as an economic union than as separate states. Political union is very very unlikely anyway.
Old February 20, 2003, 17:49   #64
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

Local Time: 20:02
paiktis, France didn't want to help us, they wanted to hurt the Brits, so they got what they wanted out of the American revolutution too. Besides, any debt we owed them we payed back in spades in WW1, where more Americans lost their lives than the French ever committed in our revolution...and that was just WW1.
Old February 20, 2003, 17:54   #65
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 15:02
Quote:
Originally posted by The Vagabond
The East Europeans should have shown more tact towards their prospective donors within the EU. So Chirac is right in this: they missed a great opportunity to shut up. Once again they have shown themselves as petty lackeys: no principles, just blind asskissing to the master.
So I take it your problem is that they picked the wrong master

This seems to be the typical French viewpoint. How distressing for the EU. It really could have been a good idea if only France were on another continent.
Old February 20, 2003, 18:02   #66
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

What if the rest of europe ditched the EU and made a new union without France? I have to think the Germans are going to wake up one day in a cold sweat and start acting rational again...but then again, who wants the Germans either?

The problem with any union of nations in europe is that it must, by necesity, be formed from european nations...

Old February 20, 2003, 18:09   #67
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancer
What if the rest of europe ditched the EU and made a new union without France? I have to think the Germans are going to wake up one day in a cold sweat and start acting rational again...but then again, who wants the Germans either?

The problem with any union of nations in europe is that it must, by necesity, be formed from european nations...

Agree completely!!
Old February 20, 2003, 18:17   #68
Lancer
Deity

Old February 20, 2003, 18:24   #69
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 14:02
Quote:
Give me the option, id prefer to join a union with Canada, US, Australia, New Zealand and get out of the EU.
Now that would be cool
Old February 20, 2003, 20:37   #70
Propaganda
Warlord

Local Time: 13:02
Quote:
Originally posted by Gatekeeper
Wouldn't it be ironic if Eastern Europe — in a pique over Chirac's comments — began to gravitate towards, say, Moscow?

Gatekeeper
The Perestroika Deception.
Old February 21, 2003, 03:32   #71
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

What I find amusing about Chirac's comments is that it comes across as, "If you want to be a part of the European Union, shut your mouths. And if you're a part of the EU now, shut your mouths anyway and follow our lead."

I don't think that's particularly good for even "just" an economic union, let alone a possible political and military one down the road.

BTW, I'm waiting for Dubya to smack Vincente Fox around a little bit in the near future ...

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old February 21, 2003, 03:41   #72
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:
And if you're a part of the EU now, shut your mouths anyway and follow our lead."
That's strange I must have missed that.

Better talk to the Brits about that, they seem to have the same illusions
Old February 21, 2003, 03:46   #73
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Well, you'd think that everything was hunky-dory w/i the EU, they wouldn't have had such an *unbecoming* public spat (I prefer fistfight, just for "color" purposes ... ah, the written word) in regards to U.S. and British policies towards Iraq.

But I understand that there are some internal issues driving this as well.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old February 21, 2003, 03:56   #74
The Vagabond
Prince

Quote:
What I find amusing about Chirac's comments is that it comes across as, "If you want to be a part of the European Union, shut your mouths. And if you're a part of the EU now, shut your mouths anyway and follow our lead."
Oh, come on! East Europeans issued their statement without even informing France beforehand as a courtesy. Do you really think this should be a normal practice within the EU? Chirac had all the reasons to be frustrated.
Old February 21, 2003, 04:21   #75
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 13:02
Quote:
BRUSSELS, Belgium - Future European Union (news - web sites) members endorsed a hard-won EU declaration Tuesday warning Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) he has one last chance to disarm, grasping for unity despite signs of a new continental rift.
In other words, his last last chance really wasn't his last chance and now we are going to give him a last last last chance and we really want him to comply because we're not going to give him a last last last last chance.

Why should Saddam believe it when you say "this is the last chance" since you've all been saying that for 12 years now? If he didn't comply when the U.N. gave him his "last chance" seven months ago then why would he comply when EU gives him a new last chance ("For real! We mean it this time... well, we think we do but we're not sure...")?
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old February 21, 2003, 04:56   #76
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Let's have a third vote for a stronger commonwealth.

Wonder what the Aussies and Kiwis have to say, though.
Old February 21, 2003, 04:56   #77
Saras
Emperor

Local Time: 23:02
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger
I reckon these countries are just brown-nosing the US in the hopes of some bread crumbs. Poor sods.
Poor sod yourself. You obviously have no clue about EU and EU accesion politics.
Old February 21, 2003, 05:10   #78
Saras
Emperor

Local Time: 23:02
Quote:
The East Europeans should have shown more tact towards their prospective donors within the EU. So Chirac is right in this: they missed a great opportunity to shut up. Once again they have shown themselves as petty lackeys: no principles, just blind asskissing to the master.
France is not a donor. France is a net recipient. And go kiss your own, buddy.
Old February 21, 2003, 05:14   #79
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 21:02
Quote:

Oh, come on! East Europeans issued their statement without even informing France beforehand as a courtesy. Do you really think this should be a normal practice within the EU? Chirac had all the reasons to be frustrated.
Would France consult anyone else before issuing a statement.

They are NOT in charge
Old February 21, 2003, 05:19   #80
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Local Time: 16:02
Interesting thread. Please continue.

Old February 21, 2003, 05:46   #81
Bereta_Eder
Settler

LOL...
you issued the letter without consulting anyone and you have the nerrve to speak?

I mean the whole Europe knows that the UK is the US ***** but really, you outdone yourselves.
Old February 21, 2003, 05:54   #82
TheStinger
King

I don't think you should have to consult anyone, my point was to highlight the hypocrisy of the French.

And as we don't actually care what the rest of europe think about us it don't matter
Old February 21, 2003, 05:58   #83
Bereta_Eder
Settler

_I don't think you should have to consult anyone, my point was to highlight the hypocrisy of the French.

you do actually.
there are formal procedures for that.
you dont get slaped in the wrist if you dont follow them but you dont help the EU go forth if you dont.

its just hypocritical to accuse anyone else of what you have done.

about your second point, thats good cause Europe pretty much thinks your the US *****
Old February 21, 2003, 06:04   #84
TheStinger
King

As the EU does not have a common defense and foreign policy and member states are still sovreighn. Wy should they have to consult before releasing a statement regarding those areas.
Old February 21, 2003, 06:13   #85
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by TheStinger
As the EU does not have a common defense and foreign policy and member states are still sovreighn. Wy should they have to consult before releasing a statement regarding those areas.

might help if you actually knew something about the EU.

common foreign policy is the 2nd pillar which is not "enforced" like the 1st pillar (economic).

procedures exist though as do protocols whoever's ***** the UK decides to be next.

you might be as kind as to inform us before, especially since this is required, although not enforced.
Old February 21, 2003, 06:19   #86
TheStinger
King

The point is the UK is a soverign country with its right to set its own foreign and defence policy. There is nothing within the EU set up that compells it to demure to Brusels.

It is a diplomatic courtesy to inform your allies(well sort of ) of major statements. Since however everyone at the moment is engaged in a pissing contest, its a bit rich of the French to suddenly take the high moral ground regarding making statements
Old February 21, 2003, 06:21   #87
Bereta_Eder
Settler

you're not enforced but you're kindly requered to inform everyone. as all of us do.

not that hard to take a higher moral stance than the UK BTW. easily.

point is its funny to accuse someone of something you've done first (and was detrimental to the unity of the EU - which you dont care about, I know, you told me)
Old February 21, 2003, 06:27   #88
TheStinger
King

Oh for ****s sake.

I said that it was hypocritcal of the French to criticse the Rummanians for something they would do themselves.

I did not mention the UK
Old February 21, 2003, 06:29   #89
Bereta_Eder
Settler

come again?

you just blasted the french for something you did in the first place and twice, mind you.

you also send a letter to the dissidents and not to the others just as the EU summit was about to take place. you did everything in your power to make the summit fail.

glad to see you were persuaded to sign on it too.

not that it means anything, knowing you.
Old February 21, 2003, 06:32   #90
TheStinger
King

No I blasted the French for comming out and lecturing other countries on how to behave.

That is all I was saying. I know the UK ignore EU rules on foreign stuff as do the French.

They should not though criticise others for doing so.