Old February 22, 2001, 22:48   #1
Farmer
Settler

Local Time: 22:53
Local Date: October 30, 2010
30-Second Gamers Survey (I need your help)
I'm posting this at as many of the major gaming forums as I can, because I need the feedback of as many gamers as possible. If you could take the time (it really isn't much) to fill out this short survey I would greatly appreciate it.

The story is that I am in the process of completing a project for my university course, and this is related to cheating in online gaming. I've already spammed all of the major game development companies, and now I need the feedback of you, the gamer.

The form is here on my friend's linux site. It only takes 30 seconds to complete and the feedback of anyone who's ever played a game will be relevant. Basically if your reading this forum then I need your feedback .

In addition, if you want to make any other comment then all information received will be collated, processed and squeezed into the 15,000 word report that I have to generate. I'm particularly keen to hear the experiences of anybody who's actually been in a gaming community that has been hit hard by cheating outbreaks. This is something I have been fortunate enough to avoid.

Thanks for your help!
Old February 23, 2001, 09:31   #2
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 23:53
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
I missed the "other" option for location

- Rib -

------------------
If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
Old February 23, 2001, 10:35   #3
Lefty Scaevola
lifer
Emperor

Local Time: 17:53
You are not going to get much play here, without a "turned based strategy" choice.

------------------
Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
Pontificator Pendanticus
older richer & wiser than you
Did I mention that I like spellcheckers?
Old February 23, 2001, 15:51   #4
Ribannah
Queen

Local Time: 23:53
Location: The Netherlands, Embassy of the Iroquois Confederacy
Farmer, TBS is a long, long way from dying out. Note that games like Civilization, Heroes of Might & Magic and Magic The Gathering, to name but a few, are mostly played outside of the giant networks. And then there is the most popular of all turn-based games: chess!

Look at my profile to get an idea of "other locations".

------------------
If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
Old February 24, 2001, 01:04   #5
Farmer
Settler

Rib, thanks for responding, what 'other' part of the world did I miss? I can easily update anything that I've left out. Same goes for Lefty, I didn't mean any insult by leaving TBS out it just seems that this genre of game is dying out. I hate to say it, because Civ has been my favourite game of all time, but it has only limited appeal to most people. If you look on gaming networks, like microsoft's zone, you have only about 16 players for Civ II (TBS), 6000 for Age of Kings(RTS) and 16000 for Asheron's Call(RPG). Looking at other networks you will see 20,000 players for games like CounterStrike(FPS).

They say that RTS is dying, and with 6000 on one of the most popular RTS title and only 16 on one of the most popular TBS titles, it looks very bad for TBS. Hopefully Civ III may change all this, but I'll be surprised. I'll be buying it, but how many others will?

If I can find the time to add TBS to that menu, I will if it makes you happier, but you can, hopefully, understand my reasoning to lump it with the 'other' option.
Old February 24, 2001, 12:49   #6
Farmer
Settler

I see your point rib, and I agree that TBS games are not about to die, but I feel that they have become marginalised of late. There's an interesting editorial I found on the subject of the demise of turn-based games, whilst scouting for news for the gaming site I work for.