Old April 8, 2001, 16:09   #1
knowhow2
King

Local Time: 06:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Rover in Water....
In a recent tcp/ip game I'm playing with a friend (who doesn't have SMACX) came to an end. The reason? A bug. He probed on eof my rovers, and then I probed it back and then he probed it again, byt this time it suddenly went right into the ocean, just stranded there on the water. So is this a familiar bug?

Well there are a few factors that need to be in account: 1st is a SMAC game with patch, 2nd we switched from tcp/ip to PBEM just a couple of turn before this incident, and 3rd we probed the rover back and forth 3 times.

.... any help or answer would be appreciated
[This message has been edited by knowhow2 (edited April 08, 2001).]
Old April 8, 2001, 17:40   #2
RedFred
ACDG3 Gaians
King

Local Time: 22:10
Local Date: October 30, 2010
The ping-pong rover mind control seems to me to be unlikely to be the cause of your worries.

The rover driving on the ocean problem (was it driven by Jesus?) was likely caused by the switch from IP to PBEM. I have never tried it, on account of having a similar crash on a different game after switching the way the game was played.
Old April 8, 2001, 21:00   #3
Walt
Warlord

Local Time: 05:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I'm in a 2-player game that routinely is switched from tcp/ip to pbem and back (and forth). In the early midgame I stole an idea from this forum (from Blake, I think), and built (for pod-popping)some transport-3res-1*2 drop/clean units. Without thinking about it, impatient for the former to finish an airbase, I loaded (or attempted to load) the pod popper into an adjacent water-borne transport cruiser.

Imagine my surprise when immediately afterward I moved the transport cruiser off, supposedly with its cargo, and found the pod-popper still sitting on the coastal shelf square! Next turn it even moved back without any difficulty. Perhaps I should have tried to move it to the adjacent ocean square, huh? :-)

In the same game, very early on, I had a 4-3res-4 skimship adjacent to an enemy Pirate base. Next turn it mysteriously was replaced by a 4-3res-1 infantry unit. It couldn't attack, and it was using a support mineral, so I disbanded it. Would have been interesting to leave it there and see what Sven did about it.

Walt