Old February 21, 2003, 05:14   #1
Artifex
Prince

Local Time: 20:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
When playing Rome: attack Carthage in ancient era? Or wait for knights?
As a general rule do you wait until Knights to attack or is it ok to go after Carthage with your legions in ancient times.

In my current emperor game It's 1125 BC and I am sharing the continent with Carthage. I have 11 cities to their 5 and just got iron working ..I have about 20 vet warriors waiting to be upgraded. I heard in some threads its not worth it to attack them since thier fortified mercs savage legions.

edit-I attacked them anyway.

I might have to go back down to monarch, emperor is unfun.

Last edited by Artifex; February 21, 2003 at 08:23.
Old February 21, 2003, 11:28   #2
metalhead
Warlord

Local Time: 16:06
Attacking is definitely the right move. Your 20 legions should be more than enough to cripple, if not eliminate, Carthage. They won't be as hard for your legions to dislodge as you might think, and you won't have to worry about much of a counter-attack. Remember, you biggest advantage of using the Romans is their Legionaries - take advantage of it!
Old February 21, 2003, 13:21   #3
Fosse
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4WDG Stratega
King

Local Time: 14:06
Metalhead is right, especially if you don't have anyone else for your legions to pound.

However I think the only thing we can say "as a general rule" is that when you attack Carthage has to be based on the game you're currently playing. In this case, go for it. But there can't be an "Always do/don't send legions to Carthage" rule.
Old February 21, 2003, 13:48   #4
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 21:06
If there is someone else, take them first. If not then you really have to crush the Carthaginians.

Good luck (you'll need it).
Old February 21, 2003, 13:59   #5
Wizard55
Civilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by: Artifex
I might have to go back down to monarch, emperor is unfun.
I have started about 20 games on Emperor and the AI gets out to far in front in the Tech race that I can't catch up.
No Fun!!!!

Monarch is a challenge and fun to play. That's what a game is supposed to be.

Good Luck in your game!!!!
Old February 21, 2003, 14:42   #6
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:06
Well you can catch up, but I agree it can be a real drag at times. Satisfing when you do, but for a fun run, yeah Monarch is the ticket.
Old February 21, 2003, 16:30   #7
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 15:06
Wizard55, the AI is widely known for making horrideous FP placements. If you probably place your FP, you will catch up and pass them.
There are already threads devoted to winning on Emperor, Corruption, and Palace / Forbiden Palace placement, so I shall not thread jack here.

Frankly, I was getting bored with the game at Monarch level before I moved on to Emperor.
Old February 21, 2003, 16:38   #8
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 15:06
Guesstimates of Carhage forces is essitenial.

Also, proper troop deployment; scattering 20 Legions into 3 attack forces is probably a bad idea.

With all of them in 1 group the AIs counter attacking forces will try to bypass them completely.

AI is really no good at tactics, and is easily lured into wasting time marching it's units in wild goose chases looking for an undefended city.

Quote:
Originally posted by Fosse
Metalhead is right, especially if you don't have anyone else for your legions to pound.

However I think the only thing we can say "as a general rule" is that when you attack Carthage has to be based on the game you're currently playing. In this case, go for it. But there can't be an "Always do/don't send legions to Carthage" rule.
Old February 23, 2003, 00:27   #9
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I would think twice about conquering Carthage under any other circumstance...

If there is no other civ to bash well, personally I'd wait for Knights (I'm a cautious guy, I admit ). Also consider that in that war both of you will trigger each other's GA.

However, in your case, you have 11 cities to their 5 and 20 legionaries available. I would say go for it! (hmm... you just did!) You will win.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)