Old February 22, 2003, 02:57   #1
Metaliturtle
staff
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending StoriesCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerDiploGamesCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireannApolyton UniversityCivilization II Succession GamesDiplomacyRise of Nations MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCiv4 SP Democracy GameSpore
King

Local Time: 15:09
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Location: Even if you don't believe in Jesus he believes in you!
A Norse Battle with a Desert Foe
Waves of heat rolled through the air, amplifying on the line of sweat soaked men in their thick padded armor, as body heat mixed with the noonday sun. Headgear on the army of the Pharoah aided his men, but the Hordes from the north had no such knowledge of the terrain, and sweltered it out in thick wooden helmets banded together by heavy iron.

The drums began, and the Viking horde let forth their battle cry. The bellowing men made a thunderous noise even on the thick sands of the desert as they charged the Egyptian line.

As their foes advanced, the Egyptian regulars began their own chant of the names of their gods, those for war, and those of the individual villiages, creating a layered and very unorganized sounding cry from the Egyptians. This did not aid in the morale though, because the Norsemen were already upon them.

The battlefield began to break down into the overall bedlam that always occurs at the onset of fighting. This is the part of the battle where a hero could be born, amongst the small skirmishes that break out. Perhaps a particular soldier will stand out among the rest as stronger, slaying a noticeably larger amount of men, cutting through them with ease. Perhaps a defender, faced with the bodies of his comrades all lying deceased around him, makes a last-ditch attack that turns the tide of battle. All of these things can occur in the initial commotion.

Soon, two heroes had emerged as being crucial to each side, so much so, that the battle nearly halted when they squared off, certainly, hundreds of men made a wide berth around the two heroes, and for a moment friend was next to foe, unified in their lust for the blood that was certain to spill at any moment.

Trog was a Viking berserker. He faced the egyptian, wearing next to nothing, what the heat didn't force him to shed, he shed himself out of pure insanity. In his left hand he was swinging a two handed battleax with such grace that it looked out of place in proximity to this furry, primitive looking, half naked man. In his right hand, he had a dagger, the sign of the true Norse berserker, he began cutting his arms and chest in order to get into a berserker state. Men from both sides taunted him, the Egyptians out of ignorance, the Norse out of knowledge.

Squaring off for the Egyptain side was the quick and nimble Amune. he was wearing some decent quality bronze mail, he carried a sword of medium length and wore a bronze buckler across his left arm.

Trog came flat out upon Amune's first step. The axe flew from the top right and landed on the shield with a terrific clang. Trog was getting dozens of shots in easily, and with each swing, Amune was hurt more and more by the overall shock of the axe.

Soon, the relentless onslaught shattered the buckler, and this was Trog's time to shine. the blade went back, started coming forward towards the head, but the axe went down, twisted, and Amune was knocked unconscious by Trog.

The fight was finished, Trog had done his job well.
Old February 22, 2003, 03:22   #2
SKILORD
Never Ending StoriesCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 20:09
Interesting start, a good teaser.

I'd read the rest.
Old February 22, 2003, 10:25   #3
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 21:09
Here's hoping to see some more of this one .
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
Old February 22, 2003, 15:01   #4
Metaliturtle
staff
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending StoriesCivilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMPolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerDiploGamesCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireannApolyton UniversityCivilization II Succession GamesDiplomacyRise of Nations MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCiv4 SP Democracy GameSpore
King

more? that was it... I guess I could do more, but wasn't really planning on it
Old February 22, 2003, 22:49   #5
SKILORD
Never Ending StoriesCivilization III MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 20:09
I thought it was a teaser....

No, we shan't force you to do more, but we were hopeful.
Old February 22, 2003, 23:40   #6
Prince Jason
Warlord

Local Time: 12:09
More, more, more, more!
Old February 22, 2003, 23:58   #7
Metaliturtle
staff
King

sorry, I've been getting into a much briefer style of writing lately, one that is also somewhat more serious, I could fill it with poop jokes, but it seems that audience no longer exists here in as much force as it once was
Old February 22, 2003, 23:59   #8
Metaliturtle
staff
King

(BTW, can anyone tell me why I'm seeing Red X's over all the pictures??)
Old February 23, 2003, 00:13   #9
Jeremy 2.0
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Chieftain

I don't know. Have you been drinking?
Old February 28, 2003, 12:43   #10
Space05us
King

Local Time: 08:09
Local Date: November 2, 2010
more poop jokes!!! Im back!!!

that was actually your first serious story that I have read, I liked it.
Old March 1, 2003, 03:12   #11
Metaliturtle
staff
King

I'll have another soon. Hopefully longer. Problem is, my writing is advancing past the realm of Civ3 so I feel like I'm forced to use country names from Civ3 or have a battle using Civ3 units to validate my writing, my next one won't tho, but since I'm not going to be entering into the contest I think it will be fine.