Old April 12, 2001, 14:52   #1
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 13:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The Invasion Task Force
Being a hybrid player, with tendencies towards momentum style, I often ponder upon the best combination of units, weapons, armor and such in an invasion force.

My typical early invasion force consist of the folowing (probably most people use this config as well):

2 probe teams
2 impact rovers 4-1-2
2 impact infantry 4-1-1
1 plasma skirmisher 1-3-2
1 plasma sentinel 1-3-1
2 impact foils 4-3-4

as for the midgame, i haven't developed a style yet, as i have this bad habit of restarting the game after 2230 or after enslaving a faction leader or two, whichever comes first.

what configuration do other use? how do they spearhead the attack?

though smac is essentially an empire building game, the AI just loves to go to war with you (the most frequent, if i play the pirates, domai declares vendetta on my first turn; 25-30 turns later he surrenders)

Old April 12, 2001, 15:05   #2
Garth Vader
King

Local Time: 23:11
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I recently launched an early invasion in a MP game I am playing. Neither of us had plasma yet. I used 1 foil transport, and 1 cruiser transport. Cruiser transport carried 2 impact rovers, 1 synth rover, 1 probe team. There was a foil probe in the area as a backup. This force was dropped off deep in enemy territory near the HQ.

The foil transport was used for raiding it dropped off 1 recon rover and a probe team. Collected the rover next turn(probe was killed). Then 2 impact rovers, returned with one. Our continents were really close.

I started raiding 1 turn before I dropped landed with the cruiser transport. I wanted to start 2 turns before but I accidently left port without my units It was still enough to bring his mobile defences to my raiding area.

I took the base next to his HQ the turn that I landed, then the HQ the next turn. The raiding parties never captured their target base, but did kill a number of units.

He surrendered shortly after that as I would have taken a third key base before his rovers would have been built.

We were playing large map, thinker level, I launched the attack in the early 2170's.
Old April 12, 2001, 15:12   #3
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

was this against a human or the AI?
Old April 12, 2001, 15:52   #4
Garth Vader
King

That was against a human. Against the AI I wouldn't have bothered with the raid. I would have used all units in the main attack.
Old April 12, 2001, 16:23   #5
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

the raids were for the purpose of.....annoying him?

Anyway, back to my question, what about you other people? how is your attack force configured?
Old April 12, 2001, 16:51   #6
Garth Vader
King

The raids were to bring his mobile defenders and rovers to the low priority base so I could take his good bases quickly. I had also probed and stole tech from that low priority base before which helped make it an area of concern.
Old April 12, 2001, 17:15   #7
Cybergod
Prince

Local Time: 06:11
My invasion forces consist mainly of probe teams. I usually stock up loads of money, get to war against a low-probe faction (such as Zak), then steal his best units ( )!!! This works particuallary well against Zak since he's usually far ahead of me in tech so this means I can use retro-engineering for myself!!! I also use lots of rovers (no shields) and couple of full squads (best weapons, best shield). Maybe some invader (aphibious) units aswell...
Old April 12, 2001, 21:36   #8
Rift
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:11
My early invasion force usually consists of something like this:

3 Probe Teams
3 4-1-2 Impact Rovers
2 4-3-2 Impact Rovers
2 1-3-2 Scout Rovers
3 4-3-1 Impact Infantry
3 1-3-1 Plasma Sentinels (I might be a little off on what they're called)
2 or 3 Rover Transports
3 1-1-1 Scout Patrols

My battle plan is always different depending on the situation and the opponent, but I can give you this:

A. Send in a probe team to infiltrate datalinks, and do some pre-battle probe actions
B. Load the plasma sentinels on the transport
C. You should be somewhat aware of your objective base's surrounding units. Send in the two 1-3-2 Scout Rovers to ZOC block reinforcements.
D. Move your Impact Infantry just outside the base, with the rovers one square behind.
E. Attack forcefully with your rovers, crippling your opponent's garrison units and making them easy pickings for your infantry next turn.
F. Secure the outer area with your 4-3-2 Impact Infantry.
G. Destroy his units inside the base with your ready to attack infantry.
H. Bring up the rover and unload the the plasma sentinels into the base, along with a probe team.
I. While all this is happening, you should have the two other probe teams making trouble around the area and slowing down reinforcements.
J. During this process, you should have your scout patrols drift to another base, getting ready to upgrade them as soon as you get ready to take it down (Note: This step is credited to Vel's superbly written strategy guide). If needed, bring in an extra 4-3-2 rover, and place it in a nearby fungus square, as a defense measure against any attacks directed at your scout patrols. If your opponent is foolish enough to send out his garrison to destroy them, just drive the rover into his empty base.