View Poll Results: We're researching Nuclear Fission, what next?
Combined Arms (leads to nothing)? 0 0%
Guerrilla Warfare (leads to Labour Union)? 0 0%
Nuclear Power (leads to Laser and Fusion Power)? 5 71.43%
Plastics (required for SS Components, leads to Superconductor)? 2 28.57%
Recycling (leads to Environmentalism)? 0 0%
Refrigeration (leads to nothing)? 0 0%
Robotics (leads to Stealth, allows Manufacturing Plants)? 0 0%
Bananarama, leading to the Girl Band Wonder (for SCG ) 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 23, 2003, 12:21   #1
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

Local Time: 15:13
Local Date: November 1, 2010
1886 Science Ministry's Observations and Poll
It's 1886.

We're researching Nuclear Fission, and the current cost per new tech is 2850 beakers.

We currently are at 40% science, producing a new technology every 3 turns. If we wanted, we could bump science to 60% and get 2 turns/tech, with no unrest and still a healthy surplus, taxwise.

some numbers:

@40% - 1143 beakers/turn
@50% - 1413 beakers/turn - almost 2 turns/tech
@60% - 1720 beakers/turn - 2 turns/tech

None of our larger cities can grow much, or at all, at the current 30% lux - no sewers in some, no food surplus in others (i.e. CAPITOL), and not that many celebrating to begin with.

If we want tech at 2 turns per, we can either turn science up (with not much effect on happiness, really), or deliver a lot of Freight. We only have 3 Freight in production. If we increased science to 50%, we wouldn't need much Freight to get to Nuclear Fission in 2 turns. At 60%, and a lot of Freight, we might even get to 1 tech/turn.

The Japanese and Chinese have Guerrilla Warfare. To save time, if we are forced to take an off-path tech, we might want to choose GW and then steal it, allowing us to change our research focus back to something worthwhile. (Assuming, of course, that the citizens don't ask for GW. If they do, we should steal it. If not, hold off on stealing it until we have to research it.)

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)
Old February 23, 2003, 12:46   #2
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

Too bad its winter here - or i could comment that that last choice was a "Cruel Summer" joke

"I heard a Rumor" that we were trying to get to AC (not "Venus"), so I voted for Plastics (if multiple choice I'd of course chosen Nuclear Power, and GW if forced off-tech) *sees we already have fundamentalism*

*thinks about doing some more stand up, but doesn't want any more bananas thrown at him *
Old February 23, 2003, 13:30   #3
Six Thousand Year Old Man
Civilization II Succession Games
King

*throws banana*

I voted for Nuclear Power. Since we'll need it anyway, we might as well grab it first and get the extra movement point for ships. Plus... if we grab Plastics early, again, it gives the AI that many more turns in which to possibly steal it.

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
"A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)