Old April 13, 2001, 10:33   #1
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 01:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Fungicide
I've only been playing SMAC for a few weeks, but I've had Civ2 for a year, and I've developed my own little strategy: kill every fungus square on the map!(or at least in my territory)
What do you poeple do, who've had SMAC longer than me.
Old April 13, 2001, 19:51   #2
WhiteElephants
King

Local Time: 00:11
I tend to avoid tampering with large patches of fungus. Too much work. I would probably build forests near the edge of a large patch and if they grow into, then the grow into it. Less work for me. Otherwise, I just have too many darn'd good things to do with my formers other than toiling in the fields of fungus. Raise a mountain, tap a river, drill a borehole, the list goes on...
[This message has been edited by WhiteElephants (edited April 13, 2001).]
Old April 13, 2001, 21:18   #3
Rift
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:11
Two words: Xenoempathy Dome. If you're the one that builds this secret project, you can replace most/all your roads with fungus. Invading units will be slowed down, while your reinforcements reap the 3x movement benefit of roads. Great home defense.
Old April 14, 2001, 00:25   #4
Locus
Chieftain

You should read Vel's excellent guide to SMAC/X. Fungus can be a real boon depending upon your faction or style of play. If you're a green faction, fungus gives you a lot of resources and serves as a free breeding ground for mind worm units you can use to conquer your neighbors.

------------------
Brother Locus of the Peacekeepers
Old April 15, 2001, 05:24   #5
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 18:11
I used to like exterminating the xenofungus, but now I tend to leave a few tiles of it, because they can be used for mindworm resting places, and if possible ecodamage induced fungal pops always appear next to existing fungus so by having a few rocky/fungus tiles you can predict where new ecodamage happens, and prevent it appearing on the condensor. I also plant fungus under some boreholes, so I can defend the tile with the +50% defense bonus.

A fun "xenocide" strategy is covering the world in forest, level rocky/fungus tiles and leave the fungus at the mercy of the forest. The rest of the time my formers are too busy raising mountains and tapping rivers (and planting forest!) I've never quite suceeded in completely exterminating the xenofungus, but one day...
Old April 15, 2001, 09:27   #6
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 13:11
quote:

Originally posted by Blake on 04-15-2001 05:24 AM
A fun "xenocide" strategy is covering the world in forest, level rocky/fungus tiles and leave the fungus at the mercy of the forest. .....

Have you seen my dendroid guards faction? couldn't figure out how to build a forest payload missile yet.

Old April 16, 2001, 13:54   #7
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

I leave it in place except when it's right next to a base or crawler park (it's good to avoid those nasty surprises). Seafungus: I always remove at least one coastal fungal square, and cut a channel to open water for ships to get out without being slowed down -- but won't remove all of it. Let the kelp growth take care of that and use the seaformers more productively.

For the mid-game expansion, having a good mix of fungus/ nonfungus squares is great, since it's decent initial resources to sustain young bases until the formers get cranking. I might feel differently about the fungus if I weren't such a huge XenoDome fan.

---

For I Have Tasted the Fungus.