Old April 15, 2001, 08:23   #1
Cybergod
Prince

Local Time: 06:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
SAM Artillery
I've recently designed and used this unit:

(8)-1-2 : SAM Chaos Artillery or Battery

I've had several enemy neddlejets come to attack and then on my next turn, I bombarded the needlejets and they ALL got destroyed (not all at once though, built several of these devils).

Is this a bug or another breakthough of my heavenly brain ?
Old April 15, 2001, 13:06   #2
MariOne
King

Local Time: 07:11
Why would you think it's a bug?
Do you think the behavior you observed is contrary to the mechanisms stated for the game?
I invite you to check your intuition by yourself, as long as you can: that's the best way to learn something. Of course we'll be glad to give you advices also, where needed.
Did you check the combat strentgh ratio in the combat display, and/or the declared game odds? Do you think that the outcome is in contrast with that preliminary information?
Did you observe how a normal needlejet defends against an attack (which can only be a SAM attack of course)?

Do you think that the artillery ability plays a significant role in that kind of combat?
Have you thought to test the same kind of attack, that is SAM land units against needlejets, without artillery?

In short, did you think to verify whether an 8-1-2 would have behaved differently than a (8)-1-2, and draw your conclusions?

Let us know.
Old April 15, 2001, 14:52   #3
Cybergod
Prince

Local Time: 06:11
Oh God... all those guestions ^. I am SURE that if a 8-1-2 tried attacking a needlejet you couldn't do it because there isn't SAM. Now why do you need to ask so many questions? Yes, you should be able to attack the neddlejets with a normal <8>-1-2 (SAM Chaos Rover), and destroy it but with altillery you are, I think, cancelled the hasty assault penalties, you can attack from the artillery range (that I AM sure of), and I need to test out if the altitute bonuses work against needlejets.

I only ASKED if it was a bug because I've never used this before and I haven't heard anyone else using it before. Also the needlejet (which was 10% damaged) 'died' strait after my first bombardment.

Now please D.I.Y. .

PS. And no I didn't look at the unit attack/defence ratios.
[This message has been edited by Cybergod (edited April 15, 2001).]
Old April 16, 2001, 05:52   #4
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 18:11
I'm the SAM Artillery #1 fan, (or prehaps one and only fan?) Not for it's use against Needles, but for killing stacks of locusts.

I do not consider it a bug at all, the main anomoly is that somewhere it is said "Artillery can only completely destroy naval units", but you can destroy air units completely.

Btw, it doesn't work in SMAC, along with artillery in general.
Old April 16, 2001, 15:35   #5
Iskandar Reza
Civilization III PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 13:11
Killing locusts? Hmmm.. I must use this device, this SAM Artillery. I'm being worm-raped to death in my current game, one fungal pop after another, and a -3 planet rating doesn't help empath choppers.

But that's beside the point.