Old April 16, 2001, 19:29   #1
Sith123
Settler

Local Time: 05:11
Local Date: October 31, 2010
newbie question
In my current game right now I went as morgan, and so far have wiped out the believers and gaians and am working on the university and the hive on 2 different fronts...but the hive is in range for nerve gas attacks and planet busters. My question is can before I can us a PB do I have to call the council and repeal that U.N. charter or can I just go ahead and do it without having to worry about having all the other factions start wars with me.
Old April 16, 2001, 21:16   #2
Fitz
King

Local Time: 21:11
Local Date: October 30, 2010
If you drop a PB or use nerve gas without repealing the UN Charter, you have the following to worry about:

All factions declare war.
Economic Sanctions: 10 years (cumalitive if multiple offenses) of NO commerce income.
Increased eco-damage. This may take a while to kick in, but you will see the effect eventually, especially if you nerve gas away.
Permenant eneminity of the faction PB'd

If you repeal the U.N. charter, the following will happen:
Perment enemies with the faction against which you committed the atrocity.
Eco-damage may or may not occur (someone else want to confirm?).

Sunspots (special case). If you drop a PB during sunspot activity, when the UN charter has not been repealed, you will only recieve the eco damage & the permentant eneminity thingy.
Old April 17, 2001, 09:58   #3
Wiglaf
Never Ending Stories
Emperor

Local Time: 00:11
Eco damage does not occur when you use nerve gas w/ charter - as far as PB's go, I dunno... never used 'em.
Old April 17, 2001, 13:34   #4
Earwicker
Civilization II Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 00:11
quote:

Originally posted by SMACed on 04-17-2001 09:58 AM
Eco damage does not occur when you use nerve gas w/ charter - as far as PB's go, I dunno... never used 'em.

Planet will be unhappy with PB's regardless of how human factions feel about them -- and it's not nice to fool mother nature (ecodamage rises in all bases, cumulative with each PB use).
Old April 18, 2001, 20:49   #5
Fitz
King

Local Time: 21:11
Local Date: October 30, 2010
quote:

Originally posted by SMACed on 04-17-2001 09:58 AM

I assume by w/ you mean without. If you mean with, it goes against everything I have heard.

Knowhow2, thaks for the nitpick. I rarely use nerve gas because of the penalties, so I wasn't aware/forgot that they do not cause vendetta with all. I assume (now) that nerve stapling similarly has no instant vendetta clause.

I do recall (I hope correctly) that nerve stapling a captured base (for the first 50 years) is an atrocity against the faction you captured it from, causing perment vendetta.
Old April 18, 2001, 22:40   #6
Sith123
Settler

Local Time: 05:11
Thanx for the info.....the using the nerve gas (while the charter is still active) during sun spot activity works and I didn't have the economic sanctions. Of course by this time it was only me and santiago left against the U.N. so I just had the charter repealed altogether and gassed 4 of his bases to the ground and won the game.

Although I still have one question I just thought of....when I bought my smac it was only for $10 at costco (only place that has it for PC around here anymore) so I didn't get a manual..so I was wondering about nerve stapling period....I know it's an atrocity but that's pretty much all....I also wanna know if what Fitz says about stapling a captured base for 50 years is true.

thanks for the help
Old April 19, 2001, 00:00   #7
knowhow2
King

Local Time: 06:11
quote:

Originally posted by Earwicker on 04-17-2001 01:34 PM
Planet will be unhappy with PB's regardless of how human factions feel about them -- and it's not nice to fool mother nature (ecodamage rises in all bases, cumulative with each PB use).

my experience is that the eco damage would in fact rise when PBs with UN chart repealed, but less than without UN chart repealed. So always better of with it repealed than not when commiting atroities.
Old April 19, 2001, 00:07   #8
knowhow2
King

quote:

Originally posted by Fitz on 04-16-2001 09:16 PM
If you drop a PB or use nerve gas without repealing the UN Charter, you have the following to worry about:

All factions declare war.
Economic Sanctions: 10 years (cumalitive if multiple offenses) of NO commerce income.
Increased eco-damage. This may take a while to kick in, but you will see the effect eventually, especially if you nerve gas away.
Permenant eneminity of the faction PB'd

If you repeal the U.N. charter, the following will happen:
Perment enemies with the faction against which you committed the atrocity.
Eco-damage may or may not occur (someone else want to confirm?).

Sunspots (special case). If you drop a PB during sunspot activity, when the UN charter has not been repealed, you will only recieve the eco damage & the permentant eneminity thingy.

Nitpick:

Using Nervegas doesn't make all faction declare vendetta against you, only the one you are using against but all the others will give you 10 years of economic sanction for each time you use a nervegas attack, using PBs will however make all faction declare vendetta against you but there won't be a sanction (don't need to be since at war no commerce anyway). Both atrocities will make you and the one you're using it against mortal enemies "forever".

Old April 19, 2001, 05:45   #9
knowhow2
King

quote:

Originally posted by Fitz on 04-18-2001 08:49 PM

I do recall (I hope correctly) that nerve stapling a captured base (for the first 50 years) is an atrocity against the faction you captured it from, causing perment vendetta.

That is correct.