Old February 25, 2003, 00:33   #1
Bkeela
King

Local Time: 06:20
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Starting in Historical Location with Proper Neighbours...
Is it possible yet?

I borrowed Civ III after the patch came out addressing the historical placement of civ's. Excited, I chose the Aztec's and settled back to develop North and South America. As my first game, I wanted isolation to experiment a bit. But within a few turns, low and behold, the German's contacted me from the south.

Their capital was located in the Argentina region.

I couldn't believe it. I simply couldn't comprehend them making a patch which put you in your historical place, yet neglected to locate the other nations in their historical setting. I immediately quit the game and uninstalled it.

Has this been fixed yet?

I don't really want to meddle around with the edit, or download mod's or what ever. But all information regarding this will be welcome.

Bkeela.
Old February 25, 2003, 01:25   #2
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Well, I'm afraid you're gonna have to meddle with the editor!

If the scenario file does not assign civs to the Player Start Locations then it will always be random. Use the editor and assign civs yourself (you'll see that the Start Locations change from unassigned blue to the color of the assigned civ).

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old February 25, 2003, 01:38   #3
Bkeela
King

Local Time: 06:20
Local Date: November 2, 2010
That's a bit disappointing. I thought PtW might have addressed this.

I guess I must be the only person who cannot abide playing historical nations outside of their historical setting. Otherwise there would have been enough of a stink to wake Firaxis up to this glitch.

SMAC is the only game I can play with a random map, for they are on an alien planet.
Old February 25, 2003, 03:14   #4
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 14:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Don't get disappoined Bkeela

The problem isn't with the game, it's with the scenario. For example, Marla Singer's world map was made waaay before PTW was made, before any of the Civ3 patches which allowed custom starting locations. Since they had to bundle the map unaltered, the starting locations are random because the editor at the time coudn't handle them.

Trust me, it won't take more than 3 minutes to reassign all starting locations on a world map, just open any one on the editor, and on the starting locations right-click, goto reassign, go to the third line (says Rome faded) and choose the correct civ for that location. Save and play!

If you want some world maps with starting locations pre-assinged (I think) check out El Mencey's website:

http://perso.wanadoo.es/civ3maps/

Have fun

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)