Old February 25, 2003, 09:49   #1
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 13:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
runner up for CGW coaster of the year.
PTW didn't make the award , though. that went to all things might and magic, like MM9, and Homm4, and the vaporware Army Men of Might and Magic.

it's in the april 2003 Computer Gaming World. That issue also has a review for the civ boardgame.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Old February 25, 2003, 12:40   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:21
Why would pTW make the coaster list anyway? Some may not like it, some may feel the MP is broken, but it is a worthwhile addon to thousands of players. Many games out there are without any redeming qualities and no support.
So in short, it may be fair to not like it, but to talk about it as a coaster is just ignorant or disingenuous.
Old February 25, 2003, 19:39   #3
MattH
King

Local Time: 20:21
How is it ignorant? MP is pretty much unplayable. The addition of airbases and some new civs doesn't add much to the SP game. Other companies don't prey on your expectations and sell you a crap expansion for $30.
Old February 26, 2003, 04:43   #4
Artifex
Prince

Will they ever get MP to work? Ever?
Old February 26, 2003, 06:15   #5
WarpStorm
King

Local Time: 15:21
Mine works very well now. I can play games without an OOS or unexplained lag (obviously, if your ping is over 500 hundred there is going to be lag). Once they knock out a few issues, it'll be nice.
Old February 26, 2003, 12:53   #6
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MattH
How is it ignorant? MP is pretty much unplayable. The addition of airbases and some new civs doesn't add much to the SP game. Other companies don't prey on your expectations and sell you a crap expansion for $30.
Like I said, it is a welcome addition to a lot of people. If you are unhappy that is valid, but to be a legitmate coaster you need to have no redeming qualities. That is clearly not the situation for PTW. If one fails to understand the distinction, one is either ignorant or disingenuous.
There is a real difference bewteen some not liking or not being satisfied with a product and it not being worth anything to anyone.
I am not here to debate weither person A likes it and if anyone should like it as that is subjective. The fact that so many do like it is suffiecent to remove it from the coaster list. Are you able to grasp the point now?
Remove your emotions and try some critical thinking.
Old February 26, 2003, 14:35   #7
Shr3dZ
Warlord

The MP portion of the CD has been a coaster for me, the SP is fine.
Old February 26, 2003, 22:32   #8
Father Beast
King

I believe what they said was something like it was 30$ for one outstanding major improvement - multiplayer, and lacking in one major thing - anything resembling playable multiplayer. they also referred to it as a festering sore on the five star masterpice that is Civ3.

Now, I know there are some people who played multiplayer out of the box without any difficulties whatsoever, or at least they say that on this forum. but I get the feeling that this was not the case with many of those here.

BTW, I was wrong about the boardgame review. I think that was in the CGM, not the CGW

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Old February 26, 2003, 22:44   #9
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Very well put vmxa1.
Old February 27, 2003, 10:26   #10
metalhead
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by WarpStorm
Mine works very well now. I can play games without an OOS or unexplained lag (obviously, if your ping is over 500 hundred there is going to be lag). Once they knock out a few issues, it'll be nice.
Hey Warp, I think we're all aware by now that you have a patch that none of us have access to, and that your comments are superfluous to this conversation

By the way, are they ever going to release that patch to anyone else?
Old February 27, 2003, 17:55   #11
WarpStorm
King

I hope so, the pool of players for me to play with is too small.
Old February 27, 2003, 19:57   #12
TheEmerged
Settler

I personally know 5 people that bought Civ:PTW (by personally I mean know them in the "real world", not via the internet or some other faceless media), not including myself.

4 of us feel Civ:PTW has yet to deliver anything worth $5. The other two (myself included) cling to the belief that someday multiplayer will actually be useful.

Coaster of the Year? When your game is only adding one real feature and that feature isn't working right for a non-trivial percentage of the market, and remains "less than working" months later, I don't think it's an exaggeration.
Old February 27, 2003, 22:51   #13
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by TheEmerged
I personally know 5 people that bought Civ:PTW (by personally I mean know them in the "real world", not via the internet or some other faceless media), not including myself.

4 of us feel Civ:PTW has yet to deliver anything worth $5. The other two (myself included) cling to the belief that someday multiplayer will actually be useful.

Coaster of the Year? When your game is only adding one real feature and that feature isn't working right for a non-trivial percentage of the market, and remains "less than working" months later, I don't think it's an exaggeration.
I would say that if your assesment was accurate then you would be correct.
It is debatable if it is an acurate portrail. Many find MP to work for them, but I would not disagree that the feature is not working properly.
It is however not the only new feature added. Most people do not play MP and bought PTW for the other components. New civs, new commands, new UU, new units and on and on.
As I said, it is very fair to say you do not feel it was worth the money. I have bought many many games that work as they were represented to do and I did not like them, that does not make them coaster.
Old February 27, 2003, 23:44   #14
HolyWarrior
Prince

Local Time: 14:21
CGW was on crack when they gave the original Civ3 a 5-star review.
CGW is on crack now calling PTW a beer coaster.
PTW is the only thing making Civ3 worth playing, and I do NOT play multiplayer.
Old February 28, 2003, 10:49   #15
Romanus
Call to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Whether a game is a coaster or not, I think, mostly lies in the eyes of the user.
These cute little polls and top 10 lists make for fun reading, but are only opinions.
I consider most any standard RTS thats released now to be a coaster, and dont get me started on shooters. I want something new and innovative. As a RTS gamer for years, I have a lot of hopes pinned on RON. Finally, a little more than build, gather resources, build, fight.
PTW SP enhancements are nice, really worth maybe $19.99, the MP needs to be fixed....I am mainly interested in LAN. Although I have got my 13yr old son into some Hotseat games.
There are a couple of bugs that I run into a lot that affect SP, and MP need to be more reliable. Patch this and I am happy.
I wont declare PTW a coaster yet, but if these issues arent corrected....that will be my only use for it.
Old February 28, 2003, 19:22   #16
Romanus
Call to Power II Democracy GameCivilization III Democracy Game
Chieftain

Wow...they just released the 1.21F for PTW...ask and ye shall receive
Old March 1, 2003, 04:16   #17
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by TheEmerged

I found that the improved modding capacity alone made it worth at least part of the price...
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.