Old February 26, 2003, 14:24   #1
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 21:26
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quotes database
If I were to bump the thread that askd for quotes (you know the ones that appear after posts and edits) to put into the database what are the chances they would actually be added to the database?

Not bothered about when they are added, be it a day , a week , a month , or more . I just want to know if its worth my effort typing out loads of good quotes.
Old February 26, 2003, 14:37   #2
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 17:26
Depends on how good your quotes are.
Old February 26, 2003, 15:24   #3
Dauphin
Deity

You question my ability to purvey high quality quotes?
Old February 26, 2003, 16:56   #4
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 22:26
He questions your ability to make high quality quotes on purpose.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old February 26, 2003, 17:10   #5
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Just by getting rid of those bloody Star Trek quotes could lift the overall quality considerably.
Old February 26, 2003, 17:16   #6
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 15:26
chegitz guevara-
Quote:
At least until they're teenagers. Then I expect they'll become rampant libertarians just to spite their folks. Damn kids.
obiwan18-
Quote:
Or maybe devout evangelical Christians
Which would bother you more, Che?
chegitz guevara-
Quote:
BITE YOUR TONGUE!
I'd kill them myself.
obiwan18-
Quote:
Che-
If Engels came from an evangelical family and became a devout marxist why shouldn't a communist family produce a devout Christian?
Lazarus and the Gimp-
Quote:
It's fated, Che. You're going to spawn an army of God-botherers.
Just the Laz quote will do for all who know che.

http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...threadid=73483
Old February 26, 2003, 19:46   #7
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 20:26
I dont know- I think your quote about Engles was the best
Old February 26, 2003, 21:42   #8
Method
ACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 GaiansACDG3 MorganACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNs
Emperor

Boreholes - so evil, they're almost Finnish (see sig )
Old February 27, 2003, 00:32   #9
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 23:26
You need to enter the quotes in proper quote format in order for them to have even the slightest chance of making it into the database. I myself spent several hours changing every single quote in SMAC to the proper form and posted them in an old quote thread, but for some reason they haven't been added. *sigh* If there was something wrong with the way I put them in format, the very least thing to do would have been to tell me what I had done wrong.

Uhm, and I can't remember this said correct format anymore, it's in the old quotes thread so I suggest you look for that... but as my example shows, they aren't likely to make it in... I have seen only one or two SMAC quotes myself, and there would have been more if my SMAC quotes had been added. *sulk*
Old February 27, 2003, 08:06   #10
Dauphin
Deity

MarkG, DanQ, if you see this thread a simple yes, no or maybe would be nice.
Old February 27, 2003, 08:15   #11
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

PM Mark......he'll probably answer.

With my connection the quotes fly by anyway, and most of them are either (a) unfunny or (b) very well known anyway.
Old February 27, 2003, 08:19   #12
Dauphin
Deity

They are well-known to you because you spam frequently enough to have gone through the database several times.
Old February 27, 2003, 08:24   #13
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

As I said I don't have time to read them entirely.........I just see enough to recognise many are very obvious quotes that I am familiar with due to my erudition in such matters.
Old February 27, 2003, 08:42   #14
Panag
MacCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Emperor

murphys military law
MURPHY'S LAWS OF COMBAT

You are not a superman.
If it's stupid but works, it's not stupid.
Don't look conspicuous, it draws fire.
When in doubt, empty your magazine.
Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than you are.
Remember: Your weapon was made by the lowest bidder.
If your attack is going really well, it's an ambush.
No plan survives the first contact intact.
All 5-second grenade fuses will burn out in 3.
Try to look unimportant. The enemy may be low on ammo.
If you are forward of your position the artillery will always fall short.
The important things are always simple.
The simple things are always hard.
The easy way is always mined.
If you are short of everything except enemy, you're in combat.
When you have secured an objective, don't forget to let the enemy know about it.
Incoming fire has the right of way.
If the enemy is in range, SO ARE YOU.
No combat ready unit ever passed inspection.
Beer math: two beers times 37 men equal 49 cases.
Body count math: two guerillas plus one portable plus two pigs equal 37 enemy KIA.
Things that must be together to work usually can't be shipped together.
Radios will fail as soon as you need fire support desperately.
Anything you do can get you shot, including doing nothing.
Tracers work both ways.
The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.
Make it tough for the enemy to get in and you can't get out.
If you take more than your fair share of objectives, you will have more than your fair share of objectives to take.
When both sides are convinced that they are about to lose, they are both right.
Professional soldiers are predictable, but the world is full of amateurs.
Murphy was a grunt.

hi ,

enjoy , .....

have a nice day
Old February 27, 2003, 08:44   #15
Panag
Emperor

the different branches ( snake model )
The Differential Theory of Special Operations Forces

(Snake Model)

Upon encountering a snake in the Area of Operation (AO):

* Paratrooper: Kills the snake.

* Armor: Runs over snake, giggles, and looks for more snakes.

* Infantry: "Look, a putty cat. Come 'ere kitty . . . Ouch! Hey, that's not a kitty cat."

* Infantry (alt): "Ugh! Me see snake. Me like snake. Ouch! Me no like snake."

* Army Aviation: Has GPS grid to snake. Couldn't find snake. Back to base for crew rest and the club and some sort of drink called "The Snake"

* Ranger: Plays with the snake, then eats it.

* Ranger (alt): Assaults the snake's home and secures it for use by friendly snakes.

* SEAL: Expends all ammunition, several grenades and calls for naval gunfire in a failed attempt to kill the snake. The snake bites the SEAL then retreats to safety.

* Corps Artillery: Kills snake, but in the process kills several hundred civilians with a massive TOT with three FA BDEs in support. Mission is considered a success and all participants are awarded Silver Stars. (Cooks, Mechanics, Legal Clerks etc.)

* Marine Recon: Follows the snake and gets lost

* Combat Controller: Guides the snake elsewhere.

* Pararescue: Wounds the snake in first encounter, then feverishly works to save the snake's life.

* Special Forces: Makes contact with the snake, builds rapport, wins its heart and mind, then trains it to kill other snakes.

hi ,

quotes compiled by a civ II fan , .....

have a nice day
Old February 27, 2003, 09:23   #16
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

That was some good ones, panag!
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Old February 27, 2003, 12:51   #17
Alex
Emperor

Quote:
Try to look unimportant. The enemy may be low on ammo.

I loved this one!
Old February 27, 2003, 16:24   #18
Zopperoni
Age of Nations TeamApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Re: murphys military law
Quote:
Originally posted by panag
MURPHY'S LAWS OF COMBAT
Heh, I read those in the manual of Half-Life: Opposing Force.

I always liked this one:

--"If the enemy is in range, SO ARE YOU."
Old February 27, 2003, 23:33   #19
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Ah, but it's not always true Zopper- if you have a bigger gun, then you don't have anything to worry about
Old February 28, 2003, 08:54   #20
Panag
Emperor

The 5 Scariest Things in the Army!

1. A Private saying, "I learned this in basic training..."
2. A Sergeant saying, "Trust me, sir..."
3. A Second Lieutenant saying, "Based on my experience..."
4. A Captain saying, "I was just thinking..."
5. And a Warrant Officer chuckling, "Watch this $%!#..."

hi ,

this is a good one , .....

some-how there are moments that the above fits in the civ 3 demo game , .......

have a nice day
Old February 28, 2003, 08:56   #21
Panag
Emperor

time for some good quality quotes ;
"When you reach the point when you can no longer be silent, start doing what is needed, then what you can. Soon you'll be doing the impossible"
Kurt Muse

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours."

Thoreau

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Tell them of us and say,
For their tomorrow,
We gave our today."

-- The Kohima Epitaph

"And he tells me that we’re going to move when there’s a helicopter. And that, and that we were going home. So we walked down the hall and, and the guy who was gonna kill me, he can’t kill me anymore."

Kurt Muse

"We wanted aces. Daredevils, barnstormers, hot rodders, guys (pilots) who could pick it up, turn it around on a dime, and put it back down with a flair. "

"Chargin' Charlie"

"It takes a remarkable person not just to say a creed and memorize a creed, but to live by a creed."

Stephanie Shughart

"One thing is sure. We have to do something. We have to do the best we know how at the moment. If it doesn't turn out right, we can modify it as we go along."-- Franklin Delano Roosevelt .

"I took a different route from most and came into Special Forces... I had made a decision then that, as far as I was concerned, I had found what I wanted in the military, and I simply had to find a way to stay with it."

Col. Nick Rowe

"When a soldier was injured and could not get back to safety, his buddy went out to get him, against his officer's orders. He returned mortally wounded, and his friend, whom he had carried back, was dead. The officer was angry. 'I told you not to go,' he said. 'Now I've lost both of you. It was not worth it.' The dying man repied, But it was, sir, because when I got to him, he said, 'Jim, I knew you'd come.'"

Leslie D. Weatherhead

"That there, the guard on the third floor had apparently not resisted and he was just handcuffed, I mean his hands were behind his back and his feet were tied, and don’t know what it was tied with, but he was a non-soldier but he was not dead. And so they, these commandos weren’t there to kill people, they were there to get me out. And they didn’t kill anybody. They had the ability to kill every single man, every single man in the whole place, but they didn’t. "

Kurt Muse

"It’s hard to put those, those feelings and emotions into words. I mean, it, it—they’re so, they’re so complex and because they’re, someone who trains, someone’s who is a soldier and who’s mission is to save you and, and that person goes in there and does it, and accomplishes a mission, if you’re on the receiving end of that, it’s, it’s (unintelligible) on a mission. I mean, it’s your life and you, you owe these people, I owe these people my life. And they’re, they’re, they’re the finest of the finest, they’re the best of the best. Um, I had to see them before I left. I had to. "

Kurt Muse

"So, this colonel came bank and um, and took me into the tent where the six fellows were, were (unintelligible) out on stretchers and they were in various degrees of, of hurt. And when I went in there, they were all smilin’ at me. And one of ‘em said, Moose, it’s good to see your face again. Wow. How can you, how can, how can you, how, how—what do you say? What do you do? And, and, and, and I couldn’t say anything. I mean, I was all choked up. And, and all I did was, was get down on my knees and I sort of grabbed one that was nearest to, I forget his name, kinda hugged him. And, and told them, thank you, (unintelligible) that, um, how thankful I was. I knew that I lost, I lost the ability to speak. And I knew that the—I was in the army for a short while and I knew that you, you salute people that, that are your superiors or you salute people that you respect. And so all I could muster up was just to salute. I couldn’t speak. And so I saluted these four or five or six or, I forget exactly how many wounded commandos, and then left. "

Kurt Muse

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

George Orwell

"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking."

Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

"Sure I am this day we are masters of our fate, that the task which has been set before us is not above our strength; that its pangs and toils are not beyond our endurance. As long as we have faith in our own cause and an unconquerable will to win, victory will not be denied us."

Sir Winston Churchill

"So look up ahead at times to come, despair is not for us. We have a world and more to see, while this remains behind."

Col. Nick Rowe

hi ,

enjoy

have a nice day
Old February 28, 2003, 10:47   #22
Dauphin
Deity

Quote:
No plan survives the first contact intact
The version I heard was "No plan survives the enemy". Just sounds better
Old February 28, 2003, 10:55   #23
FrustratedPoet
PtWDG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
"When a soldier was injured and could not get back to safety, his buddy went out to get him, against his officer's orders. He returned mortally wounded, and his friend, whom he had carried back, was dead. The officer was angry. 'I told you not to go,' he said. 'Now I've lost both of you. It was not worth it.' The dying man repied, But it was, sir, because when I got to him, he said, 'Jim, I knew you'd come.'"

Leslie D. Weatherhead
That's just beautiful
Old February 28, 2003, 20:49   #24
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 08:26
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I agree with FP. Touching stuff
Old March 1, 2003, 11:28   #25
Panag
Emperor

The Military Wife

The good Lord was creating a model for military wives and was into his sixth day of overtime when an angel appeared. She said," Lord, you seem to be having a lot of trouble with this one. What's wrong with the standard model?"

The Lord replied," Have you seen the specs on this order? She has to be completely independent, possess the qualities of both mother and father, be a perfect hostess for four to 40 with an hour notice, run on black coffee, handle every emergency imaginable without a manual, be able to carry on cheerfully, even if she is pregnant and has the flu, and she must have six pair of hands."

The angel shook her head. "Six pair of hands? No way!"
The Lord continued. "Don't worry, we will make other military wives to help her. And we will give her an unusually strong heart so it can swell with pride in her husbands achievements, sustain the pain of separation, beat soundly when it is overworked and tired, and be large enough to say, "I understand" when she doesn't and "I love you" regardless.
"Lord," said the angel, touching his arm gently, "Go to bed and get some rest. You can finish this tomorrow."

"I can't stop now," Said the Lord. "I am so close to creating something unique. Already this model heals herself when she is sick, can put up six unexpected guests for the weekend, wave good-bye to her husband from a pier, a runway or a depot, and understand why it's important that he leave."
The angel circled the model of the military wife, looked at it
closely and sighed.

"It looks fine, but it's too soft."
"She may look soft," replied the Lord, "but she had the strength of a lion. You would not believe what she can endure."
Finally, the angel bent over and ran her finger across the cheek of the Lord's creation. "There's a leak," she announced. "Something is wrong with the construction. I'm not surprised that it has cracked. You are trying to put too much into this model."

The Lord appeared offended at the angel's lack of confidence. "What you see is not a leak," he said. "It's a tear."
"A tear? What is it there for?" asked the angel.
The Lord replied, "It's for joy, sadness, pain, disappointment, loneliness, pride and dedication to all the values that she and her husband hold dear."
"You are a genius!" exclaimed the angel.
The Lord looked puzzled and replied, "I didn't put it there."

Author Unknown

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Your Family Might Be Hooah If...

~Your newborn must attend Rip within the first 30 days of life...
~Your wife's two favorite shades of lipstick are light green and loam...
~Your children clear housing before going to college...
~You require your mechanic to replace the sandbags in you floorboard as part of a routine tune-up...
~Your station wagon is equipped with blackout lights...
~Your kids volunteer to pull air guard on the school bus...
~Your kids call their mother "Household 6."
~You give the command "Fix bayonets" at Thanksgiving Dinner...
~Your kids show their meal cards at the kitchen door, except the oldest, who is on seperate rations...
~You make your daughter sign out on Prom Night...
~You refer to your spouse affectionately as "the wifely unit."
~Your wife conducts an AAR hotwash after sex...
~Your son fails the third grade but tells everyone he was a "phase three recycle."
~Your kids get an LES for their allowance...
~You threaten to punish your spouse for having dinner too late by reducing her to "Wife First Class."
~Your kids recite their ABC's phonetically...
~Your wife left you and you held a "Change of Command" ceramony...
~Your dog's name is "Ranger."
~Your son's name is "Ranger."
~All your possessions are military issue...
~Your kids fashion silly putty to look like Claymores and put them at the perimeter of the backyard...
~your newborn's first words were "all OK Jumpmaster."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hooah (who-ah), adj. U.S. Army Slang. Referring to, or meaning anything and everything except "no." Generally used when at a loss for words. Also:

1 good copy, solid copy, roger, good or great; message received, understood.
2 glad to meet you, welcome.
3 I do not know, but will check on it, I haven't the vaguest idea.
4 I am not listening.
5 that is enough of your drivel--sit down.
6 stop sniveling.
7 you've got to be kidding.
8 yes.
9 thank you.
10 go to the next [briefing] slide.
11 you have taken the correct action.
12 I don't know what that means, but am too embarrassed to ask for clarification.
13 that is really neat, I want one too.
14 amen.

hi ,

the first is touching , .....

have a nie day , hoaah ( meaning have a nice day )