Old February 27, 2003, 17:53   #31
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 13:29
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Who was trolling?

And I didn't actually wish death on him, Arrian!
Old February 27, 2003, 17:57   #32
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 15:29
See my earlier post.

There are two possibilities for the statement, 'Death made a mistake.'

You can end with a homily, to clarify that Mr. Rogers died too soon.

Another response posts the link to a man who should have died in his stead.

You chose to post the link, hence you wish death on Mr. Robertson.
Old February 27, 2003, 18:01   #33
tandeetaylor
Chieftain

Local Time: 12:29

You guys are so uptight. It was just a joke.
Old February 27, 2003, 18:04   #34
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

RIP Watched him as a kid too

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old February 27, 2003, 18:08   #35
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

obiwan, are you still going on about that? Stop threadjacking, for pete's sake.

Does anyone remember the "Mr. Rogers Was a Sniper in Vietnam" urban legend going around?
Old February 27, 2003, 18:11   #36
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

What a sad day.
Old February 27, 2003, 18:37   #37
Tuberski

Quote:
Originally posted by Boris Godunov
obiwan, are you still going on about that? Stop threadjacking, for pete's sake.

Does anyone remember the "Mr. Rogers Was a Sniper in Vietnam" urban legend going around?
Oh yeah, that was common for a long time.

No more Trolley.

Rest In Peace, Fred.

ACK!
"I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large out of focus monster roaming the countryside. Look out, he's fuzzy, let's get out of here."
Old February 27, 2003, 20:06   #38
Tiamat
Apolyton Legend

Local Time: 20:29
Wow! Just woke up and heard the news.

Floored me a bit. I always loved the sweaters. Kinda cheesy yes I know but I just got a cozy warm feeling when he would put on his sweater. There I'd sit glued to the tv with my thumb in my mouth and my pillow (instead of a blankie) in the other singing "ithhhh's a beautifffuuulll thday in thhhhhe neeiborhoooodth a beautifffullll thday in thhhhhe neeiborhoooodth...." thinking life was good and mom had cookies in the oven.....what could be better.

Here's to you Mister Rogers. Thanks for all the memories

**walks out humming it's a beatufiul day in the neighborhood**
You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran
Old February 27, 2003, 22:02   #39
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 16:29
Mr Roger's sweaters were all hand knitted by his mother.

I used to feed my fishes with a little "Hello fishies!" like Mr Rogers. Then I'd play in the bath like Bert and Ernie and their rubber duckie. But that's by the by now that Jim Henson's gone too.
Old February 27, 2003, 22:43   #40
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Ewww I hated his shows. It was so boring.

Evn so. He was a pretty cool guy. Rats.
Old February 28, 2003, 03:54   #41
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I was never a big fan. But I cannot help but feel sad. I feel a part of my childhood is gone now.
Old February 28, 2003, 04:14   #42
Rufus T. Firefly
King

This was very nice, and made me proud to be the brother of a Boston U grad. From today's Salon;

Quote:
Would you be mine?
Mister Rogers wouldn't lie to us, but he wanted us to have a happy childhood anyway. Through it all, he talked to us like people.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
By Charles Taylor

Feb. 27, 2003 | At some point, all of us who grew up with him got too cool for Mister Rogers. We reached the age where we were embarrassed to admit that we ever liked the guy and were still stupid enough to believe our classmates when they claimed that they had never liked him either. Later, we laughed at the parodies. The wonderful National Lampoon bit with Brian Doyle-Murray as Mister Rogers interviewing a stoned bass player (Bill Murray) about his craft ("What does a big guy like you think about when you're playing the bass? Because I thought of sheep ... and fresh little candies"), or Eddie Murphy's "Saturday Night Live" sketch "Mister Robinson's Neighborhood."

So how did so many us find our way back to Fred Rogers, who died of stomach cancer this morning at 74? If not to actually becoming once more faithful viewers of "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood," then at least to acknowledging that we just loved the guy? How do you go from being too cool to like Mister Rogers to acting the way a Boston University graduating class did some years back when the school presented Fred Rogers with an honorary doctorate and the graduates rose en masse to join him in singing "Won't You Be My Neighbor?"

I think the answer has something to do with the fact that the older you get the more grateful you are for anyone who talks straight to you. Fred Rogers' much-mimicked voice -- that calm, soothing, thin, high voice that seemed as if it was coming out on the merest exhalation of breath, that rose only slightly when he was talking about what it felt like to be mad or scared -- was the essence of the man. Mister Rogers talked to us -- without talking down to us. He wasn't some ding-dong dressed up like a clown, a cowboy, an astronaut screeching, "Hi boys and girls!" He treated his audience like people.

That was startling enough back in 1968 when Fred Rogers started doing "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood" from WQED in Pittsburgh. Back then, his only competition for "quality" children's programming was "Captain Kangaroo," a now-forgotten CBC production called "The Friendly Giant" that ran here on NET (this was back when PBS was National Educational Television), and the countless local versions of "Romper Room." "Mister Rogers" remained unique even after "Sesame Street" introduced its brand of toddler vaudeville, and certainly now when good children's programming means a dumbed-down imitator like "Barney" that wallows in the nicey-nice sap Fred Rogers avoided.

The oft-quoted line that opens L.P. Hartley's novel "The Go-Between" -- "The past is a foreign country. They do things differently there" -- applies to nothing so much as to our own childhood selves. It's very easy to forget how difficult naming or even admitting your fears can be for young children. To do that is, for a child, almost to will those fears into being. Fred Rogers found a way to name those fears and to tell kids that admitting them was a way of being strong enough to deal with them. The softness of his approach, the determined zipper-cardiganed and tennis-shoed niceness of it, shouldn't obscure the greatness of his achievement.

And that achievement shouldn't be confused with feel-good self-help therapy, with the emotional fascism of Oprah-speak that tells people it's important to express their feelings (no matter how they make anyone else feel in the process), with the security blanket mentality that denies every unpleasant reality and complication of life. The comfort that Fred Rogers offered children was not the false protectiveness that Philip Roth in "The Human Stain" calls the abrogation of "the moral obligation to explain to one's children about adult life ... in favor of maintaining in them every illusion about adult life." Fred Rogers didn't want to cocoon kids from heartbreak and fear. He worked to ease them into the realities of adult life, even if in doing that, it meant they would reach an age where they would leave him behind. In that, he was an exemplary surrogate parent, offering kids safety and comfort along with the implicit message that one day they'd be strong enough to be on their own, and offering his faith that we'd able to lead good lives.

It was important, he said during the renewed nuclear fears of the Reagan years, that children be allowed to have a childhood. The Associated Press report of his death this morning ended with the words he used during the Gulf War: "All children shall be well taken care of in this neighborhood and beyond -- in times of war and in times of peace." The report concluded, "and he asked parents to promise their children they would always be safe."

Even more than hearing about his death, it broke my heart this morning to have a friend tell me that his 4-year-old daughter, who's been watching the reruns of "Mister Rogers' Neighborhood," told her dad that she wanted to visit Mister Rogers in his playhouse (the same thing my kindergarten classmates and I wanted the year he began broadcasting). My friend explained to her that the shows were taped a while ago and that he wasn't doing them anymore. He hoped, he told me, that she wouldn't hear about Fred Rogers' death from her friends at school. And I understood why. Let Lucy have a childhood. Mister Rogers would have wanted it that way.
http://www.salon.com/ent/tv/feature/...ers/index.html
Old February 28, 2003, 04:15   #43
SuperSneak
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 12:29
My favorite show when I was a wobbler. That and Electric Company.
Never thought about him dying--he was like an immortal icon. To me...way up there.
Heard a quote by him today on the radio. Sounded like a Zen master.
Journey well.
never neglectful, never indulgent.
Old February 28, 2003, 09:09   #44
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

"Sounded like a Zen master."
I'd use that phrase to describe him too...
Albert Speer
Old February 28, 2003, 09:31   #45
Rufus T. Firefly
King

time to honor him in the sig file...
Old February 28, 2003, 09:41   #46
Jac de Molay
Prince

That's a good quote.

He was definitely a breed apart. Kid's shows nowaways are so ramped-up with hyper-stimuli and merchandising that it's doubful that a show with the subtletly and basic honesty like Mr Rogers will ever be made again.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old February 28, 2003, 09:49   #47
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DetroitDave
That's a good quote.

He was definitely a breed apart. Kid's shows nowaways are so ramped-up with hyper-stimuli and merchandising that it's doubful that a show with the subtletly and basic honesty like Mr Rogers will ever be made again.
So true. One reason is that it was his show: no focus groups, no network brass, no marketing teams -- just one guy doing what he thought (quite rightly) was right. If half the parents in America cared half as much about their kids as Fred Rogers did, we'd be a much better nation than we are.
Old March 1, 2003, 03:22   #48
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Amen.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old March 1, 2003, 06:06   #49
Lancer
Civilization III MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamC4BtSDG Rabbits of Caerbannog
Deity

What Mr Rogers must have thought about the changes in the country these last 40 years I can't imagine. One thing I look forward to in death is that I won't have to see any more. God hasn't changed, so that's good. Rest in peace...peace.

Old March 1, 2003, 22:48   #50
Ben Kenobi
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Rufus:

Good quote.

Farewell, Mr. Rogers.

You will be missed.