View Poll Results: After playing AU 206, what do you think of the Gallic Swordsman?
He's fine as he is. Don't touch him! 16 72.73%
He's too poweful. Do something! 0 0%
He's too expensive. Reduce cost to 40. 5 22.73%
Cost 40, upgrade of horseman, req. horses, allow Swordsmen. 0 0%
Other 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 7, 2003, 11:40   #121
badams52
King

Local Time: 12:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
BigD,

A government job at 12 hours a day. Most govt. jobs I know hate to pay it's employees overtime. Except the many post office jobs where there aren't enough employees to cover the man hours needed...
Old March 7, 2003, 13:20   #122
BigDork
Prince

Local Time: 20:30
badams...

Ah, but my government job is the Air Force. And they have no problems working me lots and lots of hours. Unfortunatly there just isn't alot to do at 3 in the morning. That's why most of my posts are at night. Nothing to do at work put post on Poly.

BigD

BigDork's Poll of the Day over at MZO. What Spam Will It Be Today?
Old March 7, 2003, 13:26   #123
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 16:30
badams,

I'm 99% sure the Sistine affects ALL cathedrals in your civ, and is not limited by continent like the Pyramids, Sun Tzu, Hoover or the Internet.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 7, 2003, 13:37   #124
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 13:30
Yes, it is JS Bachs that is "same continent." Sistine's affects ALL of your cathedrals!
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old March 7, 2003, 14:12   #125
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 16:30
See, there is method to my madness!

-Arrian, happiness nazi (is that possible?)

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 7, 2003, 16:01   #126
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 22:30
Quote:
Originally posted by BigDork
Hi everybody...

Geez, you all make it seem so easy. Here I am struggling to just get on my two feet and the rest of you are totally kicking some butt. But that's why I'm doing these AU games. To learn and improve.

BigD
This is my third game on this map, which may help me kick the AI's backside. The first time I was toast in 2600 BC or something. The second time I was doing pretty well until bad luck and neglected diplomacy ended my glory. I really need a good start and plenty of luck to beat emperor level. The start is nothing to complain about, but having your FP city depose is not exactly what puts you on the winning side.

The third time I played on the more decent monarch level, knew the map already and was lucky with the "Ralphing" archer rush. What I made skillfully in this game was to focus on researching straight to monarchy while building up tonnes of Gallic Swordsmen, then have a non-despotic GA and walk over my neighbours with overwhelming force even before they could make contact overseas.
Old March 7, 2003, 16:04   #127
Chemical Ollie
King

By the way, Ralphing (or rather to call for Ralph) is slang for puking (throwing up) where I live.

RAAAAAAAALLLLLLPH!!!!!
Old March 7, 2003, 16:14   #128
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
badams...

Ah, but my government job is the Air Force. And they have no problems working me lots and lots of hours. Unfortunatly there just isn't alot to do at 3 in the morning. That's why most of my posts are at night. Nothing to do at work put post on Poly.

BigD
Shouldn't the air force you have a lot to do in these days. One week before the big day, huh? Or perhaps they already went and left you behind.

In my current game, I plan the same thing but in opposite direction. I'm preparing to "Blix" the retarded Americans with an unstoppable load of bombers and modern armor.
Old March 7, 2003, 17:08   #129
BigDork
Prince

Local Time: 20:30
Olaf...

I work comm. so things aren't much busier than usual. Maybe a few more people are locking themselves out but nothing crazy. I know some people who work on the flight line and stuff and they are super busy. It all depends. A big reason we switched to 12 hour shifts is just that everyone else is. I think it's crap but since I'm pretty low rank they could care less what I think.

Seeing as how this is only my third game on Regent I'm not too upset with how things are going. I could be in last but I'm not. I've made some mistakes but I will no better next time. And we're just leaving the ancient age so I still have lots of time to make stuff happen.

BigD

BigDork's Poll of the Day over at MZO. What Spam Will It Be Today?
Old March 7, 2003, 17:14   #130
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Olaf...

Seeing as how this is only my third game on Regent I'm not too upset with how things are going. I could be in last but I'm not. I've made some mistakes but I will no better next time. And we're just leaving the ancient age so I still have lots of time to make stuff happen.

BigD
The ancient age is where you win or lose the game. At least on higher levels. But keep on playing! The GS could win the game even in middle ages.
Old March 7, 2003, 17:34   #131
Chemical Ollie
King

This is kinda old news, but I never have had this many armies in a game before. The reason is this:

I already had the Military Academy in place when I found out the city could also build the Iron Works - pumping out armies every 5th turn now.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	nice combo.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	39096  
Old March 7, 2003, 19:12   #132
Chemical Ollie
King

Never trust an ignorant president who talks like an arrogant cowboy! Wait until I unleash my 70 modern armor and 15 armies on his 7 cavallery.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	cowboy.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	39105  
Old March 7, 2003, 19:19   #133
Chemical Ollie
King

Ignorant and arrogant allright! My invasion force is one turn from landing. My 5 carriers will soon turn the sky black with bombers. And the poor guy has the guts to suggest a trade that is unfavorable to me!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	arrogant.jpg
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	39107  
Old March 7, 2003, 19:26   #134
Chemical Ollie
King

Time for some punishment!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	war.jpg
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	39108  
Old March 7, 2003, 19:57   #135
Chemical Ollie
King

2 turns later...
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	2 turns later.jpg
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	39109  
Old March 7, 2003, 19:57   #136
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 14:30
I find these proposals to trade away a valuable tech for the tiny bit of world map information the AI has and I don't yet maddening. If the AI approached the player with good offers for tech occasionally, it might be different. But when the only offers AIs ever make are completely ridiculous ones, it gets very annoying. About the only thing those offers are good for is an excuse to go to war - a civ that makes such a crazy offer doesn't deserve to live.
Old March 7, 2003, 20:06   #137
Chemical Ollie
King

Hey, easy now, Ms advisor - let's get sanitation first, huh?

Obviously all American cities had hospitals.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	no sanitation.jpg
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	39110  
Old March 7, 2003, 20:14   #138
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by nbarclay
Olaf, something tells me that with that kind of advantage, a domination victory would be quicker than a space race victory. You can't be too far from the domination threshold now, and if the other continent is sufficiently railroaded, an initial landing force of say 16 MIs and 72 MAs (maybe more if you build more transports) could probably put you over in just a couple turns.
3 turns, actually...
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	game over.jpg
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	39112  
Old March 7, 2003, 20:22   #139
Chemical Ollie
King

Only 7th place on my highscore list, but still a great game. Thanks Alexman for setting it up and especially for emulating PTW for us poor Scandinavians who are still waiting for the release!

Gallic Swordsmen rock!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	final score.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	39115  
Old March 7, 2003, 20:48   #140
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 14:30
Quote:
Originally posted by Olaf Hårfagre

3 turns, actually...
Yeah, but did you use the force mix I suggested?

Actually, with all the armies available, three four-unit MI armies and the rest stand-alone MAs would have made an excellent force mix. That would have provided enough MI power to withstand any plausible AI counterattack against the initial landing, and while MA armies are more survivable than individual MAs, individual MAs chew up ground faster against infantry (pre-radio in the case of PtW) because each MA gets a separate attack. Depending on terrain and city spacing, that might have made it possible to achieve victory a turn sooner.
Old March 7, 2003, 21:51   #141
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 13:30
Quote:
I find these proposals to trade away a valuable tech for the tiny bit of world map information the AI has and I don't yet maddening. ...
I don't let it get my goat. They are obviously asking for charity. I will either press ESC, see what they will offer if I try to sell it to them, or (once in a while) actually give it to them.
Old March 8, 2003, 04:33   #142
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:

Yeah, but did you use the force mix I suggested? ...
I made 2 MA armies to act as nutcrackers on metropolis cities. I also shipped 4 MI armies to defend cities and stop resistance. The rest was individual MA plus 10 artillery.
Old March 8, 2003, 12:37   #143
badams52
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
See, there is method to my madness!

-Arrian, happiness nazi (is that possible?)
I sit corrected. I just thought all wonders only affected your continent. I think Sistene's is the only exception.
Old March 8, 2003, 12:46   #144
badams52
King

Quote:
This is kinda old news, but I never have had this many armies in a game before. The reason is this:

I already had the Military Academy in place when I found out the city could also build the Iron Works - pumping out armies every 5th turn now.
I almost always wait till I know which city of mine will be the biggest producer (I was pleasantly surpirsed how close the IW city was to my FP) then I build the MA in that city, so I very commonly get armies in 4-6 per turn chunks.
Old March 8, 2003, 12:48   #145
badams52
King

Quote:
I find these proposals to trade away a valuable tech for the tiny bit of world map information the AI has and I don't yet maddening.
I just renegotiate the deal and usually 1 gold is all that's needed to see his map.
Old March 8, 2003, 12:57   #146
badams52
King

Quote:
Actually, with all the armies available, three four-unit MI armies and the rest stand-alone MAs would have made an excellent force mix. That would have provided enough MI power to withstand any plausible AI counterattack against the initial landing, and while MA armies are more survivable than individual MAs, individual MAs chew up ground faster against infantry (pre-radio in the case of PtW) because each MA gets a separate attack. Depending on terrain and city spacing, that might have made it possible to achieve victory a turn sooner.
I'm still working on explicit examples, but I believe the AI will never attack an army of 4 MIs or 4 MAs with all it's hp unless he has armies himself. The percentage of victory will be too low for him to consider even starting the attack against the army. So counterattack will be non-existant. Theseus called it "combat avoidance," but I like to think of it as "defense by avoidance."

So I would personally not make the 4-MI armies and just build more MA armies for defense.
Old March 8, 2003, 13:01   #147
badams52
King

Quote:
Only 7th place on my highscore list, but still a great game. Thanks Alexman for setting it up and especially for emulating PTW for us poor Scandinavians who are still waiting for the release!

Gallic Swordsmen rock!
What level/size map do you usually play? I've found that the larger the map, the higher the score (unless you're doing the diety, tiny map conquest game). Kind of a negative for me since I usually don't play anything larger than standard. Which means once I finish this game, this will be one of my highest scores.
Old March 8, 2003, 13:28   #148
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by badams52

What level/size map do you usually play? I've found that the larger the map, the higher the score (unless you're doing the diety, tiny map conquest game). Kind of a negative for me since I usually don't play anything larger than standard. Which means once I finish this game, this will be one of my highest scores.
I normally play emperor but get my backside kicked quite often. When I want to make sure to win I play on monarch. I seldom finish any games however, so many great games have been forgotten and never reached the hall of fame. Since I got my new computer (2.5 GHz, 512 MB RDRAM) I played a lot on huge and large maps. My highscore was on a tiny map on regent level, where all 4 civs were on the same tiny island. I conquered the world in 2700 BC something and got 14400 score. My best "real" game was about 6500 score.
Old March 8, 2003, 13:31   #149
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by badams52

I almost always wait till I know which city of mine will be the biggest producer (I was pleasantly surpirsed how close the IW city was to my FP) then I build the MA in that city, so I very commonly get armies in 4-6 per turn chunks.
I had the FP in the same spot as you, and the new capital north of Rome.
Old March 8, 2003, 16:43   #150
Chemical Ollie
King

Perhaps I should try a little challenge, to take the Gallic Swordsman to an ultimate test? If I go back 5 turns to the autosave, I am not yet in war with America. I could send my transports home, disband all the MA and build only Gallic Swordsmen in all cities. With 80+ GS in the first wave, and 60 GS airlifted every turn after a bridghead is established, I should eventually be able to overrun the American infantry.