View Poll Results: After playing AU 206, what do you think of the Gallic Swordsman?
He's fine as he is. Don't touch him! 16 72.73%
He's too poweful. Do something! 0 0%
He's too expensive. Reduce cost to 40. 5 22.73%
Cost 40, upgrade of horseman, req. horses, allow Swordsmen. 0 0%
Other 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 8, 2003, 17:24   #151
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 16:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Game, Set, Match
I bided my time, and eventually the Franco-American MPP lapsed.

The Franco-Gallic MPP, however, was in full effect when my forces landed. I had built a city inbetween a couple of American (Russian, formerly) cities to grab silks, and of course the Amis sent in their Knights... and found themselves at war with the only other civs on the planet.

I made two major landings - one of which netted me another luxury (furs) and the other gave me the foothold I wanted to march on Washington.

As I was bringing my forces into position around Washington in 1610AD, I was informed that I had won, via domination, score 5671! ARG! NO! RELOAD!

Back to 1605. Everthing I could muster was thrown at Washington, and *damn* it was bloody. The final longbowman defender fell to a 1hp Cavalry (the Cav started the battle at 1hp, mind you) and Washington was mine. The Sistine and the final luxury, Gems, were under my control. Now THAT's more like it.

According to the replay, I generated 8 Great Leaders. If Memory serves, 2 were from archers, 1 from a knight, and the rest from Gallics. Gallics do indeed rock

I've attached the 1605AD save (zipped), having just taken Washington. The win comes at end of turn.

-Arrian
Attached Files:
File Type: zip au206 endgame.zip (210.5 KB, 0 views)

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 8, 2003, 17:29   #152
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by badams52

I sit corrected. I just thought all wonders only affected your continent. I think Sistene's is the only exception.
Only one of the reasons why I love that Wonder.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old March 8, 2003, 18:07   #153
Chemical Ollie
King

Local Time: 22:30
Let's see if Abe will ask me to leave?
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	gs dday.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	39179  
Old March 8, 2003, 18:13   #154
Chemical Ollie
King

By the way, playing Rammstein on high volume in 5+1 surround speakers plus a couple of beers inside the shirt add an extra touch to playing on the dark side.

Old March 8, 2003, 18:35   #155
Chemical Ollie
King

Harder than I thought, but anything goes with overwhelming numbers. The recent American discovery of tanks and airplanes makes this even more challenging. I will not support my Gallic Swordsmen with a single modern unit, except using the battleships to keep the oceans "tidy".

A thought enters my mind - Abe just got a message saying: Massive barbarian uprising close to Chicago!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	chicago is mine.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	39180  
Old March 8, 2003, 19:30   #156
Arrian
Deity

That's pretty funny, Olaf. How many GS's did you lose taking Chicago?

-Arrian

Old March 8, 2003, 19:45   #157
Chemical Ollie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian

That's pretty funny, Olaf. How many GS's did you lose taking Chicago?

-Arrian
It really hurts me to tell you! Perhaps 50.. But even harder is the numbers required to keep it. OK I lost perhaps 50 to raze Buffalo too, but now I have a tough time to stay on the American continent. The production of GS is harder than expected. Most towns needs 2-3 turns to produce one, even in modern ages with factories and Hoover. I thought it would take 1. I had to switch to monarchy to avoid war weariness and I also had to mobilize to increase production rate. This is a close call.

Tanks in the open are easy meat, they need only 2-3 GS to end, but each infantry in a city needs at least 10 GS, which makes this really challenging.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	left.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	39185  
Old March 8, 2003, 20:16   #158
Chemical Ollie
King

AAARRGGHHHH!!!!

OK, now I did this unit testing for you all. Conclusion: don't use Gallic Swordsmen in mid-industrial ages or later...

Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	humiliating failure.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	39187  
Old March 8, 2003, 20:28   #159
Chemical Ollie
King

What really ended my quest was the emerge of American bombers. They destroyed every improvement I built in Chicago. When I lost the airport, the invasion was doomed, thanks to the American navy that sunk all my transports after the war started. Heavy losses plus the lost ability to send in reinforcements made me feel like Hitler in February 1945.
Old March 8, 2003, 20:35   #160
Chemical Ollie
King

Edit: Drunk post ...

Last edited by Chemical Ollie; March 9, 2003 at 08:19.
Old March 8, 2003, 23:08   #161
BigDork
Prince

Local Time: 20:30
Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
Good luck, BigD, hang in there. Hell, restart and try a new approach. Doesn't matter, it's not a competition.
Excellent idea Arrian...

So I took Arrian's advice and decided to restart. I feel I've learned a lot by struggling through the ancient age and decided to see just how much I learned.

The game started pretty good. By luck one of my scouting warriors happened upon an Indian settler making his way to a new site. Well this was too good a chance to pass up. So I took him out real quick. In my first try I had had a problem where I had a pretty weak military and the other civs were trying and succeeding in bullying me around. Well this time I didn't take any crap. I had already built up a few archers by the time I went to war with India so I rushed them just as fast as they could go down to Delhi. I quickly took Delhi just about the time I got iron hooked up. And what was better is where India got respawned at. They are west of Rome. And what's better is that the iron deposit is in their territory. Meaning Rome doesn't have any iron. This is proving to be invaluable right now and in the near future.

Anyway, I started to build up some GS. Then China did something stupid like try to march a settler across my territory or something. Well I had about 5 or 6 GS so I decided that an early war to teach them a lesson would be a good idea. I managed to auto-raze two cities and capture Beijing. After Beijing fell I went for peace and got a tech and a few workers from the Chinese. Also by this time I had a pretty good worker force going. One of the things that really irked me my last game was the amount of undeveloped tiles I had that were being used by my cities. Well with all the slaves I had captured and the workers I had made I did a nice job finding a good balance.

Well after my quick war with China I started to build up my military some more. Then Xerxes goes and starts making demands. Umm...okay. More than anyone I wanted to punish Persia for last game. They were way too powerful. So I decided to teach them a lesson. In the first Gaelic-Persian war I managed to push them back to the choke point and hold them there. Again, I auto-razed a few cities along the way. Pushing them back I then went for peace and got a pretty good deal from them.

I just kept building up my military. Lots of GS. Not as many as some of you but a lot by my standards. Near the end of the ancient age me and the Persians were at it again. They had landed some settlers by boat on the other side of the choke-point and I really didn't like that. I let it go for a while but they kept expanding and I wasn't having any of that. By now I had kinda slacked off on building GS and was building horsemen in several cities(getting ready for chivalry). But I still had plenty of GS laying around to get the job done. Oh yeah, another reason we went to war was the Persians had just completed the Great Library and Hanging Garden in their capitol. Well I signed a RoP and positioned my GS and few remaining archers in good places. Yeah I know I killed my rep but it was worth it. First turn I had their capitol, pillaged their iron and taken two other cities. But I was afraid of Persepolis flipping back so I ended up having most of my offensive units garrisoned there. That kinda bogged down my war. So I went on the defense for a turn or two and went to peace.

Now the whole time Rome was down in their area building up. But thanks to a strategically placed warrior I managed to keep them bottled in. And also thanks to the Indians I don't have to worry about legions coming for me. Actually I'm surprised that Rome hasn't totally obliviated the Indians by now. Rome has only been in one war. And it was with the Chinese. Since I had blocked off the choke-point all they did was land 1 spearman. Not the AI's best showing. If it had been a human player, India would be dead, Rome would have iron and my 1 warrior would have been dead before 500BC.

Back to the story. Well the race was on. It was me vs. Persia in a race for Sun Tzu. Well, Persia was winning. I decided to let them finish it for me and then go back to war to capture it. Didn't hapen. They had some units in my territory and when I politely(I'm always polite) asked them to leave they declared war on my. Grrrr.... Oh well, their loss. Within 3 turns Persia was no more. But wait, what's this? The SoB's had 1 settler in a galley. Well I go for peace anyway. Whatever. They finally settled on the island to the SW of our start position. Oh well. In the end I managed to build Sun Tzu and finally got a leader. I rushed Leo's Workshop with that leader. Thought about making a army but decided against it. Not sure if it was a good idea or not.

Now it was the Chinese turn. The whole time I was fighting Persia they were attempting to settle new cities in the south. Well I was blocking the settlers with slaves and being a general pain in the @$$ for them. And when my war with Persia was over it was go time. I managed to hit 3 Chinese settlers the first turn of the war. China too feel swiftly. But not to my GS. To my knights. Making all those horsies definatly helped. While it was expensive to upgrade(80gp. I had no idea!). The GS were still part of my offensive however. All that are left are elite and since China has yet to learn the ways of feudalism it worked out nicely. And unlike Persia, China didn't have a settler in reserve. No more China.

And that's where I am. I've been bouncing from civ to civ kicking butt where ever I go. But I've only managed to get 1 leader so far. I always have very poor luck when it comes to leaders. But I'll survive. I probably should have just built Leo's and made an army. Rome is in 2nd place and they just got invention. I have been in monarcy ever since I first got it. I just made the switch to Republic while I build up some. I'm repositioning my forces to hit Rome. Without iron they are just asking to be taken out. Or at least severly reduced in size.

The biggest mistake I made was after I got the GL I slowed down my research thinking to let the AI's do the research for me. Bad idea. Rome was the only one to even be close to me and I was about 3 techs infront of them for a while. I did manage to get Republic however. But now I'm back to researching as quickly as possible. And I have a crap load of money so I guess it's okay. I stil haven't made contact with the other continent. Whoever was captaining your galleys sure knew what they were doing because mine just sink like a rock. The RNG has been a total bit.. this game. I'm getting very little luck. The worst had to be losing an elite GS to a regular warrior. That hurt.

It's time to move my palace but I don't know where. I'm thinking of Delhi or the surrounding area. Unfortuatly my FP was built 1 city north of my capitol. When Persia got the GL it was either switch to my FP or lose a whole lot of shields. Not the ideal place but oh well. If I abandoned that city would I get to build the FP again?

Anyway, the screenshot shows my army as it stands now. I'm currently building up more knights for the push on Rome but doubt I'll need too many more. China hurt me a little before they finally kicked the bucket. I probably lost about 10 units. A lot more than I was expecting considering it was knights and GS vs. spearmen. And I was only attacking a few cities. But I'll live. Thanks Arrian for the wonderful idea

BigD
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au206 970ad.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	39197  

BigDork's Poll of the Day over at MZO. What Spam Will It Be Today?

Last edited by BigDork; March 21, 2003 at 22:50.
Old March 8, 2003, 23:11   #162
BigDork
Prince

Hi everybody...

Well I noticed that Rome has some spice and since we won't be at war for a little while I figured why not. But Caesar had to get greedy. He'd have to be offering me a hella lot more than that before I'd even consider giving him iron. My biggest advantage over Rome is that they have no iron. Whatever Julius, keep dreaming.

BigD
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au206 970ad-2.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	39198  

Old March 9, 2003, 08:14   #163
BigDork
Prince

Hi everybody...

I have been playing some more and oh is it fun.
Well, I decided to build up some and let Rome live in peace for a while. But they just wouldn't go along with it. I gave them plenty of room but the ungrateful bastards decided to drop off a settler on my part of the continent. No way this is gonna happen.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au206 1060ad.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	324.1 KB
ID:	39208  

Old March 9, 2003, 08:17   #164
BigDork
Prince

So I continued to build up my forces. I wanted to be sure that I'd hurt Rome when the time came for war. I wasn't necessarily gonna wipe them off the planet. Just take 4 or 5 cities including some spice and their only source of hores. Here's my SoD. A few more knights trickled in but this is what I used to attack.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au206 1160ad.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	312.9 KB
ID:	39209  

Old March 9, 2003, 08:22   #165
BigDork
Prince

Well look who decided to show up. The American's galley captains must be a whole lot better than mine. I managed to get a few techs out of the Americans and French. I had to trade my contacts, something I usually don't do right away, but I got a lot of great deals so I feel it was worth it. No Arrian deception stuff for me. I wouldn't hav been able to pull it off anyway. Way too much to kill and Magnatism isn't that far off.

The Americans and French have pretty much wiped out the Russians. The Russians have 2 cities left. One on the nw tip of their continent and then their capitol on on island east of the continent. Having finally met everyone I check out the score. I'm #1!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au206 1265ad.jpg
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	39210  

Old March 9, 2003, 08:33   #166
BigDork
Prince

So I finally went to war. I had gotten an RoP with Rome and decided to let it expire instead of abusing it first. Well things aren't going exactly as planned. I may have a stronger military but Gods do the Romans have a lot of units. I managed to take two cities but suffered heavier than expected losses. And their counter-attack took out many of the wounded. They may only have horsemen, archers and spearmen but they have enough of them to do some damage(Almost like Olaf and his GS vs. infantry but on a small scale).

I've managed to take out most of Rome's offensive units but they still have a lot of spearmen wandering around and all my units are pretty much beat up. I've been using hit and run tactics to reduce their numbers. I'll sortie out of a city. Take out some units and retreat back and heal up. It's working but the going is slow.

I had to switch back to Monarchy. I had neglected many of the happiness city improvements and was starting to see some war weariness. I didn't let it get too far though. Since we are religous I did the switch real quick. I rarely play as a religous civ and it's nice.

I got another leader from this war. I used it to move my palace to a more central location. The corruption was starting to really bother me. Again I'm not sure if it would have been smarter to build an army or not but I'm hoping for another leader before this war is over. And if not I have other targets and am sure I'll get a leader sometime.

I checked the diplomacy screen and noticed that America and France were trading with Rome. Fearing they may be sending iron and horses(I pillaged Rome's horses) I tried to stop it. I didn't have enough to get America to declare war but France jumped in. I'm not too worried about France doing much this war seeing as how we just got caravels. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll send a whole bunch of units over to my continent and the boats will sink. Hey, one can hope.

Well, Rome managed to get a leader too. And they made an army. This may be a little bit of a pain in the butt. But I have enough knights that I'll just hit it. Unfortunatly I didn't notice it until it was already near the mountains. I really don't want to fight an army in the mountains. Maybe I'll just fortify some musketmen and let it wear itself out.

Well that's it for now. Gonna go take a nap. I played too late last night. I was shooting to finish before the weekend is over but I don't see that happening. Oh well, no biggie. It's not like we have a time limit or anything. More later.

BigD
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au206 1305ad.jpg
Size:	317.5 KB
ID:	39211  

Old March 9, 2003, 14:37   #167
pedrojedi
Prince

Local Time: 17:30
Quote:
. Just take 4 or 5 cities including some spice and their only source of hores.
That's cool, this mod enables you to take advantage of the world's most ancient job!!! Takin' the ladies' help out of the romans was a really mean move of you! lol:

Now, seriously: I ask, can I play this mode with the 1.21 PTW patch?? Anyone???
Old March 9, 2003, 20:55   #168
BigDork
Prince

Err...yeah. I really wanted to get those Roman hores. Can't let the Romans have all the fun can I?

Well I'm have about 6 hours and nothing to do. The wife is asleep and everything is closed(it's 2am). Might as well play some Civ. I'll let you all know what happens.

BigD

Old March 10, 2003, 02:55   #169
BigDork
Prince

Hi everybody...

Well I just went at it for 5 hours straight and unless my computer spontaneously combusts I'm gonna win this one.

The war with Rome was a long one. Longest I've had yet. I misjudged just how many knights it would take to conquer the Romans. I ended up taking a few cities and holding while I produced and sent lots and lots of knights to the front. By the time my offensive was back on all my knights had become cavalry and it was all over for Rome.

My cavalry rolled over the Romans. Also I had recieved a leader in my fighting and turned him into an army of cavalry. It proved to not be a deciding factor however. Eventually Rome managed to get some musketmen but by the time they did it was all over for them. As soon as I noticed the first musket I went and pillaged their saltpeter. All they could attack with was longbowmen. Without iron Rome just isn't much of a threat. I took it a little slow and heavily garrisoned each city I took fearing a flip. I probably was a little over cautious but it worked.
And finally Rome was no longer a thorn in my side.

The only things that the Romans had me worried about was that army they managed to get. But luck was with me. A single knight on a mountain was all it took to kill the army.

Fearing that Rome may have gotten iron from either France or America I managed to bribe both of them into the war. America hasn't done crap but France managed to take several Roman cities on the islands surrounding the continent and actually was the ones to give Rome it's death blow. I was content with them off my continent but France kept going until it was over.

This screenshot just shows the southern part of the continent after I kicked Rome out. If you notice on the mini-map Rome has two cities left. The northern one used to be one of mine. Rome managed to land an archer and spearman and take it. France has it now. Someday it'll be mine. Someday...
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au206 1435ad.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	333.9 KB
ID:	39276  

Old March 10, 2003, 03:06   #170
BigDork
Prince

So with Rome gone I went into peace mode. I was content to let the Indians share my continent with me for a time. I purchased Democracy from the French and switched govts.

Since then I've been bringing in the cash. I'm making about 250gpt from America, France, and Russia. I've been researching my butt off and have pulled way ahead of the pack. About six techs thanks to ToE. I'm researching everything at 4 turns and still bringing in about 200gold a turn.

I finally got sick of the Indians being around after a while. I don't have anything against Ghandi personally and felt a little bad about ruining his game in the beginning so I made sure that he had a city on an island first. I was actually gonna give him one if not. He's sharing with the French and hopefully he doesn't go and tick off Joan. See, I'm a nice guy.

It was a quick war. I was done it 3 turns. 3 turns for 3 cities. I had about 30 cavalry and he had about 7 units. Mostly spearmen. So that's over. The whole continent is mine.

Here's something that made me laugh. Catherine wanting me to just give her something. She's lucky she offered me a world map. If she'd tried to threaten me there wouldn't be any more Russians. She's on a 3 tile island and not much a threat to me but it's the principle. I almost invaded anyway but didn't want to go through the hassle. I know, I know, but I'm just not down with the dark side fully.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au206 1550ad.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	307.2 KB
ID:	39277  

Old March 10, 2003, 03:15   #171
BigDork
Prince

Well I think I'm done with war for a while. I might start a war against France to get the islands that are surrounding my continent and also to have them and America fight it out. But right now I'm not in the mood to a sea invasion. I'm gonna have tanks before long so maybe I'll do it then. But hopefully America and France will hurt each other enough that I'll be able to sneak in some settlers and get a good bridgehead. The only problem with going to war with France is that they are giving me a lot of money for my luxuries and I'm rather enjoying that. I'll figure something out.

I used the ToE to get up the techs for Hoover and I'm currently building that. I'm pretty much just gonna be a builder for a while. Build up nice and strong.

But I'm done. I've spent way too long in front of my computer. I'm working the next couple of days but should have this thing done by the weekend. Here's the score as of right now. I'm way ahead.

BigD
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au206 1600ad.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	39278  

Old March 10, 2003, 03:58   #172
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 14:30
I'm going to try an experiment with a new AAR format, posting shots from the end-of-game replay. Let me know what you think. I'll go ahead and start from the beginning.

In the beginning, there was China, and China was too close for comfort. And Resourceful Ralph said, "Let there be barracks, and then let there be archers, and let the archers pour forth over the Chinese."

And there were barracks, and there were archers, and the archers razed a single city before casualties forced the Celts to make peace. But at least we got some techs out of the war.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	first chinese war.jpg
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	39279  
Old March 10, 2003, 04:01   #173
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

And Resourceful Ralph looked at the results of the first war, and the results were not good. Tolerable, maybe, but certainly not what he had hoped for. And Resourceful Ralph said, "Let there be more cities, and more barracks, and more archers, so that we may resume our war with the Chinese and get them out of the way once and for all." And there were more barracks, and more archers, and more war with China. But once again, after auto-razing a single city, Resourceful Ralph's forces were in tatters and he was forced to make peace.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	second chinese war.jpg
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	39280  
Old March 10, 2003, 04:06   #174
nbarclay
Emperor

And Resourceful Ralph was vexed sorely, and he fired his generals and hired new ones, and he ordered new and larger forces of archers built to resume his campaign. And a Chinese city was autorazed, and Beijing fell, and China gave up two additional cities in exchange for peace. And Resourceful Ralph saw that for a change, the campaign was good.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	third chinese war.jpg
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	39281  
Old March 10, 2003, 04:22   #175
nbarclay
Emperor

And Resourceful Ralph said, "Let us now build cities, and let us build barracks, and warriors, and still more warriors. And let us upgrade those warriors to Gallic Swordsmen, and wipe the remnants of the hated Chinese from the face of the earth.

So the Celts built additional cities, and built barracks and many warriors, and Resourceful Ralph saw that it was good. And the Celts learned Polytheism and Monarchy at a snail's pace and traded them away, and Resourceful Ralph saw that that was okay although he didn't get as much for Monarchy as he had hoped for. And Resourceful Ralph saw that iron was hooked up, and that was very good indeed!

So it came to pass that in 230 BC, the Golden Age of the Celts began. And China fell. And two Persian cities fell. And the Celts got a great leader and persuaded Persia to give up Literature in exchange for peace so that a Great Library could be constructed. And Resourceful Ralph saw that that was good because it meant his people could focus on building Gallic Swordsmen and ignore research for a long time to come.

And Resourceful Ralph said, "Behold, we have many Gallic Swordsmen and peace with Persia. What preventeth us from conquering our Indian neighbors to the south?" And Ralph's advisors could see no good reason to refrain from such a battle. And Gallic Swordsmen rampaged across the Indian countryside, so that when the war was over, Ghandi had only three cities left. And Resourceful Ralph looked at his new maps and saw that they were good.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	first persian and indian wars.jpg
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	39282  
Old March 10, 2003, 04:50   #176
nbarclay
Emperor

And Resourceful Ralph said, "Let us now rest and heal our forces and then attack Persia again. And let us wipe them from the face of the continet." And his advisors said, "But wait, sir, we have a peace treaty with them." And Resourceful Ralph said, "I know that, but have you not heard of the Arrian Deception? And Resourceful Ralph's staff thought it over and decided that the plan was good. Indeed, Resourceful Ralph and his planners had so much faith in their forces that they ordered the Celtic cities to switch over to peacetime production, catching up on infrastructure long delayed by the military build-up.

But in the meantime, Xerxes' planners had an idea of their own. "Resourceful Ralph and his Celtic people are becoming too powerful, my lord. Let us send immortals into his lands and claim some of that vast territory for ourselves." Xerxes thought it over and said, "Okay, but no more than one or two of them at first, until we see how Resourceful Ralph responds." So it came to pass that at the exact time Resourceful Ralph wanted to reopen the war with Persia, the Persians declared war on the Celts rather than obey an order to leave.

And Gallic Swordsmen streamed forth into the Persian lands. And immortals were no match for them. And pikemen were no match for their weight of numbers. And city after city fell until Xerxes gladly surrendered all but a single island city in exchange for peace.

Then, when the peace treaty with India expired, Resourceful Ralph cast his eyes to the southeast and said, "There are still three splotches of purple left on my continet. Now I like purple as much as the mext ruler, but not on my maps in places where green belongs." So Resourceful Ralph's generals ordered their troops to the southeast, and the purple turned green, and Ghandi escaped to a new capital on an island.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	second persian and indian wars.jpg
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	39284  
Old March 10, 2003, 05:11   #177
nbarclay
Emperor

Then Resourceful Ralph said, "The days of the Gallic Swordsman are numbered. Let us keep what we have for defense, but let us build up a vast army of horsemen that we may someday upgrade to cavalry and sweep all opposition aside. And let us seek out a great leader who will build us Leonardo's Workshop, so that even the vast gold supplies we are accumulating when we are not too busy rushing city improvements will not prove insufficient."

And it came to pass that Caesar cast his eyes to the north and was unhappy at the great prosperity his resourcefulness had brought to Ralph's people. And Caesar spoke with his generals, and everyone agreed that Ralph's resources were spread too thin after his earlier conquests and that a successful war could be prosecuted.

But Resourceful Ralph had his own ideas. Gallic Swordsmen captured Rome's one city on the Celtic side of the isthmus separating Roman and Celtic lands, and when Caesar got sufficient forces together to retake the city, Ralph handed it over to Xerxes for safekeeping. Ralph also relieved Caesar of two island cities and handed one over to Xerxes when Roman forces threatened to take it back. In the meantime, one of the battles produced the leader Ralph had wanted so badly, and soon, Leonardo's Workshop went into operation. (Interestingly, the Celts researched Invention for a single turn between the time they got their leader and the time the Great Library brought the technology needed for Leonardo's to them.) By that time, Caesar was willing to negotiate peace.

Resourceful Ralph welcomed the peace since he had no desire to build new Gallic Swordsmen or send his poorly equipped horsemen into battle. But it did leave him with one problem: other nations had been working on the Sistine Chapel for a long time, and Ralph wanted it for himself. The only way to build such a wonder in a timely manner was to gain a great leader through warfare, and that required a target. Well, Ralph hadn't meant the cities he'd handed over to Persia to be anything more than a loan anyhow.

Most of Ralph's elite forces redeployed to the island the Celts shared with Persia, and the final conquest of Persia went smoothly. An ancient elite archer unit left over from the Chinese wars produced a leader, and the Celts finished their Sistine Chapel just a turn or two ahead of one of their rivals.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	roman skirmish and persian defeat.jpg
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	39285  
Old March 10, 2003, 05:34   #178
nbarclay
Emperor

And it came to pass that Caesar's heart was hardened, and he forgot the lessons of Ralph's resourcefulness, and he once again launched an attack into Celtic territory. And Celtic losses were heavy, and their forces few (other than a vast supply of horsemen who were not considered combat-ready), and Ralph was forced to give away a city to India before Rome could take it. But Rome suffered setbacks in island fighting (having intruded on the Celts' island with a city of their own) so Caeser could be persuaded to make peace. Caesar then declared war on India, capturing the city Ralph had given to Ghandi and eventually eliminating the Indians entirely. But the gift had done its job: Indian cultural borders had proved sufficient to slow Rome's advance northward until peace could be negotiated. (They don't call him Resourceful Ralph for nothing. ) The top map in the set below shows the situation left after those skirmishes.

Then it was the Celts' turn. The moment the Great Library brought an understanding of Education to the Celtic people, Resourceful Ralph had ordered research toward Military Tradition at the fastest rate possible. Once that discovery was completed, the Celts began a massive upgrade of horsemen to cavalry. The situation was less then ideal since rival nations knew how to make muskets, but it was quite good nonetheless. And upgrades of more than seventy horsemen would ensure an ample military force for a long time to come.

Even cavalry found the proposition of battering through mountains into Roman territory a difficult and somewhat costly proposition. But it could have been far worse if Caesar had deployed his muskets there instead of reserving them for city defense. In any case, the Celts had enough cavalry that they could afford losses, and only a combination of war weariness and a Roman unit's threat to capture an undefended island city persuaded Ralph to call a halt to the fighting before the entire continent was claimed. As it was, only two Roman cities on the mainland escaped capture, although Rome had gotten another one back (toward the southeast) in a culture flip.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	roman war.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	39287  
Old March 10, 2003, 06:04   #179
nbarclay
Emperor

With Rome no longer a threat, Ralph cast his eyes overseas. He had already built up a fleet of a dozen caravels, and he had more than enough cavalry to fill them. Navigation had been discovered during the Roman war, so his ships would be able to make the trip safely in spite of its distance.

Better, America had offered a perfect opening. America and France were in an alliance against Russia, and American conquest left a perfect landing site outside of everyone's cultural borders. Cavalry could land unopposed and then do what cavalry do best: Charge! About half the caravels were used in the first wave, with more following as quickly as troops could finish crossing the continent to reach them.

Conquering America was almost child's play after the difficulty Rome had caused. Terrain was little more than a nuisance, and only a single American musket unit was ever seen. Before long, Abe was exiled to his island posessions.

Then it was France's turn. French musketeers were murderous, because the AU mod's boost in their movement rate rendered cavalry unable to retreat from them. Many cavalry died, but in the end, Joan was also exiled from her home continent.

(I'm curious as to how well that aspect of the musketeer's faster movement rate was thought out. AU Mod musketeers seem about as deadly to cavalry as riflemen are, or at least very close, and I hate to think what it would be like trying to fight them with nothing better than knights. At least going up against Impi, you have the option of using swordsmen instead of horsemen. But with musketeers, the only contemporary options available through much of the unit's useful life are knights and medieval infantry. It's a lot like fighting Impi with only horsemen and archers available - only worse because a much higher percentage of cities are over size six.)
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	american and french wars.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	39291  
Old March 10, 2003, 06:22   #180
nbarclay
Emperor

I would tell the story of the conquest of Russia, but what's to tell? Three cities, two turns, and one less civ in the game. The Celts did get a leader, though, who eventually went on to rush Universal Suffrage.

Then came the conquest of the remaining Roman cities on the home continent and of one Roman island city. But the unmarred green didn't last long before Hispalis flipped back to Rome for the second time. Not long after, culcural borders expanded enough to secure a domination victory. Tech-wise, I finished four techs into the industrial age, while everyone else was still at least two techs away.

By the way, early in the game, I used a leader to to rush my forbidden palace in India near the center of my home continent. During the war with Fance, I used another leader to move my palace to northern France in a fairly central location on that continent. With police stations under Democracy, I suspect that few cities on either continent would be totally corrupt, not that I intend to keep playing to find out. For me, planning to move my palace to the other continent is almost a "must" when I'm planning a domination victory on a continents map; what sense does it make to conquer the world if you can't rule it reasonably efficiently?
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	end game.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	39292