Old March 3, 2003, 12:19   #31
playshogi
BtS Tri-League

Local Time: 16:30
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I installed the game yesterday and played a few turns. Gave up after awhile. Came back today, and now the game won't load. Tells me to put CD disk 2 in the drive. It's in there!! So, now what?
playshogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2003, 12:58   #32
tjno2
Settler

Local Time: 20:30
Quote:
Originally posted by GodKing
Couple more I encountered over the weekend:

Researched Laser Gatling Gun in two different games. But could not find it in any list to add to any of my ships. This was one of my favorite weapons in MoO2, particularly in anti fighter roles.
Only ground troops can use those.

Quote:
Naming a ship design, when I highlighted the old name and started to type, it didn’t type over, just made a noise. I had to erase the old name first by using the Back Space then type in the new name. Not sure if this is a bug or just something that is annoying me.
Yup, that annoys me too. The entire UI is very poorly designed...

Quote:
In one game I had about 40 ships, all different types and sizes in reserve. I selected to do a couple of small antarian missions and they never left. For over 80 turns I had large reserves (at one point I had over 100 ships) of many different types of ships and never did a single one ever enter the antarian groups, thus I never got a single antarian group to ever leave. I ended up winning by being elected to prez but still…
It took me some time to understand that too, but seems like the AI makes the antaran expeditions out of thin air or something. Probably there's a price to pay for each expedition fleet, but i still don't know what that price is... (stupid manual / enciclopedia)
Just order a bunch of armadas to go find antarans' X and don't think about it. I've already found the 5 Xs with this aproach.
Oh, btw, could anyone make legends of what the narrator says in the antaran x win movie? I can't make out a great part of what he says...
tjno2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2003, 13:40   #33
bloopy
Settler

Local Time: 15:30
directx surface
and there are no fixes posted on any of the forums that work...so don't bother telling me to try dx9 or reinstalling or alt-tab or any of the silly responses that have been posted out there...none of them work. the error spawns when i am trying to work with ships in the shipyard and at random other times during the game. ...see the other thread regarding the dx surface error for my full post. -and no...save games are not an issue...i have no save games...i can't even play at this point.
bloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2003, 14:29   #34
art_vandelai
Civilization III Multiplayer
Chieftain

military build AI
Constantly I find the AI building system colony ships even though all planets in the system have been colonized.

Also, AI continuously sends single colony ships into battle (since they're at war with me) which gets annihilated over and over.
art_vandelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2003, 19:00   #35
Alexander D
Settler

Another thing I found annoying when I send armadas to attack a system, is, if the number of armadas (or TFs) is larger than 10, only the first 10 will make it at the combat screen.

I understand this is a "limitation" of the programmers, but what really pissed me off is that the AI selects the armadas that fight rather than me.

I ofter end with (not the most powefull) armadas with transports (or even Colony) TF at combat screen instead of full combat ones (with the obvious casualties -- my armies). And to make things worse, for the planet ground assault, if your transport TF wasn't among these, there will not be a ground assault that turn ! What I did to avoid this is to send only combat TFs until the system main defenses are down (it take several turns) and then RETIRE one combat TF or two off the system and send in transport TFs.

And in this case, the AI seems to send to combat ALL of the Transport TFs (disabling ALL the TFs and with ships on delay) to just ONE planet (even if the troop TF is just passing by in route to another system). The AI doesn't save troops for the next planets... I wish there is a way to just land the troops TFs you really want for that battle and save the rest for the other planets of the system. Same for selecting the TFs that enter into combat if there are more than 10 in the system.

Gretz

Alex
Alexander D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2003, 06:45   #36
Elron
Settler

I learned that you shouldn´t atack a colonyship wiht a scout. The scout wasn´t strong enough to kill it and I choose to watch and it wasn´t any exit button so I had to watch for like ten minutes before time wen´t out...

You should think that they had time to put an exit button in watch mode when they been building the game for 3 years.
Elron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2003, 15:12   #37
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Yes we could use and automate button that lets the AItake over during a battle.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2003, 19:26   #38
CharlesBHoff
Prince

I think I found what cause my direct X Surface Unavailable error I change the graphic setting from hight to medium. I which all game company preset all graphic setting to low and if the person the hight setting he can change to hight it he want to.
Old March 5, 2003, 19:48   #39
vmxa1
Deity

I thought they test to see what the settings should be, but in any case they would have to set to high. Too many would be mad if it was low.
If that is the issue, it is a bug IMO, it should not fail on any setting.
Old March 5, 2003, 19:54   #40
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
I thought they test to see what the settings should be, but in any case they would have to set to high. Too many would be mad if it was low.
If that is the issue, it is a bug IMO, it should not fail on any setting.
Why would people be mad if they have to change than graphic opion from low yo med or hight. 10 second of your time once after you install the game.
Old March 6, 2003, 04:44   #41
Daz
Prince

This is what happened:

SIlicoids declared war on me.

Then, after a few turns i get a msg in the sitrep that the war with the Silicoids is over.
No diplomacy msg, no nothing. I look at foreign relations and see that I am still at war with them.

About 5 or so turns I got the SitRep msg that I am now at war with the Silicoids....
Daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2003, 02:02   #42
Arnelos
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG SarantiumCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Daz,

Yup, that's a known one. I believe the issue is that wars "time out" after a certain period of time, at which piont the AI determines whether or not it wants to continue the conflict. Sometimes the AI will re-declare the war, other times they will follow the end of the war with asking for trade agreements and the like.

The problem is that this "check" the AI seems to do on whether it wants to continue a war seems to be done by ENDING the war and then re-starting it, which is absurd. The AI should just remain "at war" and only end it if they mean to end it
Arnelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2003, 08:20   #43
Daz
Prince

Apparently (according to Markos), thats a feature. If you have no hostile activities within 10 or so turns, peace is automatically declared and you (or the enemy) have to re-declare war.

Sounds kind of silly to me.
Daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2003, 08:33   #44
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Daz
Apparently (according to Markos), thats a feature. If you have no hostile activities within 10 or so turns, peace is automatically declared and you (or the enemy) have to re-declare war.

Sounds kind of silly to me.
Not really in the ancient world and medival world it neither side engauge than any real big military action for over 15 month than condion of peace was consider to have taken place.
Old March 7, 2003, 08:37   #45
CharlesBHoff
Prince

It the Korean was to breakout today it would still be consider the same war that start in 1950 and have than temporate cease fire from 1953 to today. But most likely than other declare of war would be needed for legal reason.
Old March 7, 2003, 08:58   #46
star mouse
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 07:30
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Two systems with the same name
I've encountered an unusual bug.

When the map is created, it is possible for two systems to have the same name. It sure makes it hard to tell which is which [when you have habitable planets in both and you're colonising].

To fix, make sure all system names are different when creating the map.

See attached screenshot. I got lucky, they were very close together, and thus very obvious.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	twosystemssamename.png
Views:	86
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	39064  
Old March 7, 2003, 13:38   #47
Main_Brain
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Free Drones
King

Local Time: 22:30

I Inserted a spy in an enemy Empire and accidently killed it next turn, while the spy wasnt inserted yet, now I have my best Spy (10/10/31) In a State of
Quote:
Insert, Invalid Empire
((
Every turb it now says he got inserted into borders but as he inserts in no empireI cant recall him (
Old March 7, 2003, 14:43   #48
vmxa1
Deity

I suppose this is not really a bug, but can we have a filter on the Specials for ships in the shipyard?
It would say show latest only or something like that.
I can see that it may be useful at time to have all of my ECM amd ECCM's list, but for the most part, I only want the latest one.
Old March 7, 2003, 15:16   #49
Harry Seldon
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireNationStates
King

Here's one. I'll be designing a ship and when I choose the ship size, everything reverts back to defaults: Lancer, Orbital, LR. Not a serious bug but incredibly annoying. Also, I don't get the option not to drop my troops on a planet even if I control the battle. The ground combat screen comes up and the only option I have is to cede control or fight myself. I was bombarding a Klackon planet and was about three turns away from obliterating it when some transports that weren't even supposed to stop there (passing through going to someplace I need them) gets sucked into the battle. Now I'm stuck with 800 troops fighting 900 troops for control of a planet with 350 population.
Harry Seldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2003, 20:09   #50
Daveybaby
Settler

The Zoom in/out function seems to sometimes be VERY sensitive during space combat. One 'click' of the mouse wheel will zoom all the way in from minimum to maximum zoom, and vice-versa. (Win2k Pro, SP3, MS Explorer 3.1)

Similarly, when using the mouse wheel to scroll up or down through the SITREP entries (when there are a large number of entries), too many entries are scrolled per 'click', thus some entries are not displayed on-screen at any time. Either reduce the sensitivity of the scrolling, or fix the scrolling at one entry per click.

In several games i have seen systems which are located at the very bottom of the galaxy map. These can be viewed when zoomed out, but when zoomed all the way in they cannot be seen, as they are hidden beneath the row of tabs along the bottom of the screen.

On the Galaxy screen, if you share a system with another race, and you control enough of the system that your icon is displayed, but the other race has the planet with the Mob. Centre on it, then a Mob. Centre icon is displayed with *your* flag in it, which makes it very confusing when you want to create a task force there, but can't.

I also have an incredibly large number of User Interface gripes and fixes (from an ergonomist's point of view) which i'm not planning to post here, but will probably end up doing so anyway when i'm bored.

Right... off for another game....
Old March 8, 2003, 04:02   #51
star mouse
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Daveybaby
The Zoom in/out function seems to sometimes be VERY sensitive during space combat. One 'click' of the mouse wheel will zoom all the way in from minimum to maximum zoom, and vice-versa. (Win2k Pro, SP3, MS Explorer 3.1)
I have also seen this on win98.
Old March 8, 2003, 10:05   #52
Hokiemon
BtS Tri-League
Chieftain

I had a diplomatic message from the Trilarian ambassador that said

"We hope that it pleases you to our declaration of war upon the , if you can find it in your hearts?"

No race/empire name, just one blank space!

Here's another bug - Shipyards screen/Ship Design/New Design: In ship specials, the up and down arrows on the scroll bar don't work, but I can click and hold on the slider and move it with the mouse. This also happens under Existing Designs if you try and update a ship design.
Hokiemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2003, 15:41   #53
vmxa1
Deity

Yes I have seen the up/down in the specials section fail.
Old March 8, 2003, 15:50   #54
CharlesBHoff
Prince

Why is there a opion panel in the game where you can make
change to the mouse setting and other change. There is no more standard computer.
Old March 9, 2003, 19:12   #55
Hokiemon
BtS Tri-League
Chieftain

Personnel/Espionage Screen
In the Current Training Activity box there is a scroll bar on the right, but you can't queue up more than 4 spies; the scroll bar never becomes active. Once the fourth spy is recruited, the recruitment button grays out and becomes inactive.

Is this a bug? Don't know why you shouldn't be able to queue up more than four spies at a time.
Hokiemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2003, 20:42   #56
Proteus_MST
King

Local Time: 22:30
O.K. lets start with my list:;

1. Probably Bug:
Sometimes, for example if I scrap great Numbers of Ships the Game shows me a great loss of AU for the Next turn. Always having a value of several k AU, sometimes 20k, sometimes even 150k. Maybe that there are some Parameters miscalculated in the Formula.
If I look at the Finances it shows me (correctly), that my Finances for the next turn stay the same or even rise.

2. Bug:
Sometimes after I second a Bill and in the next turn want to give my Vote (for example "Yay" or "Nay"), the Checkboxes and the corresponding Text to make this choice aren´t visible in the Window for the Bill. They are just invisible, becaue, if I know the Location of the Checkbox I want to press and klick at the Location, it reacts as if I have pressed the Checkbox and lets me make the Vote. But of course it would be nice, if I could see the Checkboxes and the Text so as to make an informed vote

3. UI-Issue or Bug:
If there are Elections for the Orion Senate, it isn´t possible to exit the Window in which you vote for the next President. Even after you have already made your Vote. Very imprctical, because sometimes you also want to make a vote on a Bill or the like. Has already cost me a vote on a Bill once.

4. Game Control Issue:
It would be nice, if we wouldn´t have to rely on the "ESC"-Key to exit a Screen but instead could do it with a simple Mouseclick. If you would support a 4 Button-Mouse it would also be nice. I (and I think several other people) have gotten used to use the 4th Button to go back to the last Page within Webpages on the Internet. Maybe you could use this Button to close a Window or go to the last Window.

5. AI on ColonyShips
The already posted Bug, that the AI on the one Hand tend to send all Colonyships in the Reserves to the same Planet if you mark it for "send Colonyship" and on the other Hand that it always stays in Orbit around the Planet it wanted to colonize, if the Planet has already been colonized (and the Ship is therefore unable to land).
It would be logical to disband the Colony-Taskforce in this case.

6. Game Manual and Encyclopedia
Have to be expanded, but you´re already working on it, so just one comment:
Please include the Planetary Specials and the Magnate Races into the Encyclopedia and further Explanations about Ship Equipment (sensors, ECCM, ECM, Cloaking Devices and the like) into the Manual.

7. Would be nice to add in some further Patch:
It should be possible to have further Influence about the Ships and Troops the AI build.
Maybe some sliders (just like in Planetary Funding) where you can adjust the Percentages of Ships with specific Missions (or specific Unit-Tipes for the Ground Troops), you wish the AI to build. For example you want to have 20% Recon, 30% Carrier, 40% PD and 10% I.F.-Shhips or for Ground Troops you want to have 40% Battloids, 30% Mobile, 10% Commandos and so on.
Would be very nice to have this kind of Control over your Viceroys.

8. Would also be nice:
The possibility to select, which Troops you want to land on the enemyPlanet if you have several Troopships in Orbit and klick on "Land".

9. Enemy AI:
For the Difficulty Level easy it should stay the same, but for the other Diff-Levels it would be nice if the AI would show a little bit more tendency to Bombard your Colonys or drop Troops on your Planets if it is at war. But as I hear it is already worked on this.

10. Spies:
It would be nice if Assassinationm-Attempts on your Leaders would be a little bit more difficult for enemy Spies.

11. Would be nice:
If you could see some Statistics about the enemy Ships prior to or after the Battle. As it is possible for your Ground troops to see the enemy Units before Battle, it would be nice if such thing would also be possible for Space Battles.

12. Bug in Point Defense Weapons:
Already mentioned by several People. Should be fixed.

13. UI-Issue in Ship Design:
Also already mentioned by someone.
If you design a new Ship within the Ship design Window and afterwards want to design another new Ship it always jumps to "Orbital", "Cutter" and "LR" instead of staying on the next created Design.
Doesn´t appear if you click on the Tab for "Existing Designs" and then again on the Tab for "New Design) (in this case the Design stays the last designed Ship)

14. Would be nice:
It would be very nice to see at a glance, how much of every Spy-Type (for example Scientific Spies) you have in Your Reserves. Also it would be nice if you could build more than 4 Spies in Advance.

So, these are the Points which come into my Mind at this times. Maybe I expand the List at a later time.
Some of those Points would just be nice to have, other Points are Bugs which should be fixed.
Proteus_MST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2003, 22:28   #57
vmxa1
Deity

#7 may be address to some degree by simply making the queue much longer, say 6 or 10 items deep.
#14 it would be simple to at least be able to sort the list of those we have in reserve, then I could figure out if I have 2 of every type with out a hassle.
Old March 10, 2003, 00:57   #58
alinfitar
Settler

"Resolving Remaining Space Combats" for 7 minutes and counting!

Clicked Control, Defend Planet. Wouldn't let me manage the combat - game just sat there. Clicked "next". Clicked "yes" to cede control.

Now I'm staring at the "Resolving Remaining Space Combats". Moo3 isn't increasing in memory, nor is it using processor time.

Anyone seen this yet?

Further investigation reveals it's repeatable. Restored to the last auto-save, and found myself in the same situation. Cannot "Cede Control", "Watch", or select any other option that will allow the game to continue. It just hangs there. Bitterness Level Rising!

Last edited by alinfitar; March 10, 2003 at 01:03.
alinfitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2003, 04:05   #59
star mouse
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Proteus_MST
10. Spies:
It would be nice if Assassinationm-Attempts on your Leaders would be a little bit more difficult for enemy Spies.
Too damn right. You get one leader every 40-50 turns, then you can have them all killed off in just a few turns with a single spy. This is seriously unbalanced and must be fixed.
Old March 10, 2003, 04:28   #60
vmxa1
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by alinfitar
"Resolving Remaining Space Combats" for 7 minutes and counting!

Clicked Control, Defend Planet. Wouldn't let me manage the combat - game just sat there. Clicked "next". Clicked "yes" to cede control.

Now I'm staring at the "Resolving Remaining Space Combats". Moo3 isn't increasing in memory, nor is it using processor time.

Anyone seen this yet?

Further investigation reveals it's repeatable. Restored to the last auto-save, and found myself in the same situation. Cannot "Cede Control", "Watch", or select any other option that will allow the game to continue. It just hangs there. Bitterness Level Rising!
It is quite common if they have a colony ship in orbit, you will not be able to do anything, very lame. I now look to see if the planet has a CS if so do not atttack planet, it will not be useful.